EYE-POPPER GAMES

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

elliott70

EYE-POPPER GAMES

Post by elliott70 »

Wow, roseville smoked Stillwater! What up with those ponies?
elliott70

Re: EYE-POPPER GAMES

Post by elliott70 »

VIA SMOOTH AND STATEOFHAWKEY
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Red Lake Falls
Park Rapids
ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

Mound Westonka 7 LDC 1

Mound is the 10 seed of 11 teams in 2A... LDC came in looking like the 3 seed in 2A and was ranked in the Top 20 of every Class A poll I have seen. Crazy to see the Whitehawks blow them out.
Mite-dad

Post by Mite-dad »

Just about every Little Falls game has become an eye popper lately. Last night was no exception. Many total defensive meltdowns. I might have been able to score a hatty last night against the Flyers. LOL. In their defense, they're without a top 4 dman and another dman out for unknown reasons. Lucky to come out of there with a win last night.
ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

ClassAGuy wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:39 am Mound Westonka 7 LDC 1

Mound is the 10 seed of 11 teams in 2A... LDC came in looking like the 3 seed in 2A and was ranked in the Top 20 of every Class A poll I have seen. Crazy to see the Whitehawks blow them out.
This game has been explained not LDC was missing 5 player due to injury in the game. Still missing 4 players tonight wont be surprised if they lose to SWC.
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

Rochester Century 3
Northfield 2

Century is not bad but going to a top 10 A school and winning isn’t a great look for Class A. A nice win for Century though. The Raiders may be the top rated Page2stat team they play in the regular season.

Maybe that computer having New Ulm higher than Northfield got something right.
ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

Rochester John Marshall 5
Rochester Mayo 3

WOW Goldy fill us in this seems shocking
OldManRiver

Post by OldManRiver »

elliott70 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:32 am Wow, roseville smoked Stillwater! What up with those ponies?
To double down on this comment - is it correct that they lost to Mounds View today as well? If so, that really helps the transitive property trails because Stillwater beat Maple Grove earlier this season....
HSHockeyPurist

Post by HSHockeyPurist »

That is correct, Stillwater lost to both Roseville and Mounds View this week. Was at both games. Stillwater didn't play poorly in either game except for the typical lapses in attention to detail for a high school team. Goaltending lapses in both games for SW while RV and especially MV's goalies played superbly. Roseville won every stick battle on Thu and Mounds View plays a possession game that had Stillwater skating in circles. Both RV and MV play different style games that most other high schools. Impressed that both coaches are coaching in a way that brings out the best in the talent they have. Steffen bros at Roseville and #'s 2, 8, 9 for MV are a joy to watch.
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

ClassAGuy wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:42 pm Rochester John Marshall 5
Rochester Mayo 3

John Marshall is a decent 1AA team. There is a lot of emotions here as John Marshall may not exist as a stand alone program after this year. This may have been the last JM/Mayo game ever. This game in the 80’s drew 2000-3000 fans….fire Marshall capacity. I don’t think 300 people watched this game.

Earlier this year John Marshall recognized the 35th(?) anniversary of the 1977 state championship team. Nearly every player from that team showed up…..John Marshall has been a different team since. They won’t win 1AA but if they have to go out they will go out with pride. Give Austin alum and current JM head coach Matt Erridge a ton of credit for this.

John Marshall had lost 10 straight to Mayo and had no business even being in this game. Yet they won it, throwing 1AA seeding into chaos.

Jayden Veney is a very good player, if he was at Wayzata, Minnetonka, or a similar program he would get much more attention than he does at John Marshall. He is an NHL quality player and could quite literally change Rochester youth hockey and in many places hockey for the better. By my count JM dressed 15 kids.

Karl throws a ton of schools with nothing to be proud of other than a name. Maybe throw John Marshall in at the end of this week’s rankings . He puts more less far deserving teams in every week.

If Jayden Is not in the running for Mr Hockey it is not a relevant award.
OldManRiver

Post by OldManRiver »

HSHockeyPurist wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:06 am That is correct, Stillwater lost to both Roseville and Mounds View this week. Was at both games. Stillwater didn't play poorly in either game except for the typical lapses in attention to detail for a high school team. Goaltending lapses in both games for SW while RV and especially MV's goalies played superbly. Roseville won every stick battle on Thu and Mounds View plays a possession game that had Stillwater skating in circles. Both RV and MV play different style games that most other high schools. Impressed that both coaches are coaching in a way that brings out the best in the talent they have. Steffen bros at Roseville and #'s 2, 8, 9 for MV are a joy to watch.
Thank you - I appreciate the recap of the games.
Bigcat99

Post by Bigcat99 »

goldy313 wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:21 am
Rochester Mayo 3

John Marshall is a decent 1AA team. There is a lot of emotions here as John Marshall may not exist as a stand alone program after this year. This may have been the last JM/Mayo game ever. This game in the 80’s drew 2000-3000 fans….fire Marshall capacity. I don’t think 300 people watched this game.

Earlier this year John Marshall recognized the 35th(?) anniversary of the 1977 state championship team. Nearly every player from that team showed up…..John Marshall has been a different team since. They won’t win 1AA but if they have to go out they will go out with pride. Give Austin alum and current JM head coach Matt Erridge a ton of credit for this.

John Marshall had lost 10 straight to Mayo and had no business even being in this game. Yet they won it, throwing 1AA seeding into chaos.

Jayden Veney is a very good player, if he was at Wayzata, Minnetonka, or a similar program he would get much more attention than he does at John Marshall. He is an NHL quality player and could quite literally change Rochester youth hockey and in many places hockey for the better. By my count JM dressed 15 kids.

Karl throws a ton of schools with nothing to be proud of other than a name. Maybe throw John Marshall in at the end of this week’s rankings . He puts more less far deserving teams in every week.

Any idea on the prospects for the young man you mentioned? plans for juniors - or a commitment on the horizon?
It is what it is!
bardown27

Post by bardown27 »

goldy313 wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:21 am
Rochester Mayo 3

I’m assuming you mean if he isn’t in the running for Mr Hockey next year, as he is not eligible this year only being a junior.
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

My mistake. I thought he was a senior.
stateofhawkey

Post by stateofhawkey »

Hill-Murray 4 Mahtomedi 2 - I gotta say, I didn't see this coming. I thought Mahtomedi was a lock to win for sure.
BlueLineSpecial

Post by BlueLineSpecial »

stateofhawkey wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:03 pm Hill-Murray 4 Mahtomedi 2 - I gotta say, I didn't see this coming. I thought Mahtomedi was a lock to win for sure.
Everyone keeps thinking Hill is garbage this year, mostly because they just look at the win-loss record. They have a brutal schedule, and had a rough 5 game stretch. But this team has talent, a very good goalie, and a coaching staff that can round them into form throughout the season.

The last 3 years: Hill won a championship, got denied the chance to play for one (and had a better team than the year before that won it all) and went toe-to-toe with the eventual champion last year at State. They had a bunch of veteran turnover from those teams, and it's taking time to figure it all out.

Several people have commented on here, some Hill fans, that the section 4AA winner is a lock not to play on Friday night or that 4AA is way down this year. I quietly disagree. Hill played Wayzata to an OT loss, and have had several close calls/been competitive in most all their other games. Their only dud was to Minnetonka. They simply aren't that far off.
The City of Hill Murray is beautiful this time of year
raidergrad72

Post by raidergrad72 »

BlueLineSpecial wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:05 pm
stateofhawkey wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:03 pm Hill-Murray 4 Mahtomedi 2 - I gotta say, I didn't see this coming. I thought Mahtomedi was a lock to win for sure.
Everyone keeps thinking Hill is garbage this year, mostly because they just look at the win-loss record. They have a brutal schedule, and had a rough 5 game stretch. But this team has talent, a very good goalie, and a coaching staff that can round them into form throughout the season.

The last 3 years: Hill won a championship, got denied the chance to play for one (and had a better team than the year before that won it all) and went toe-to-toe with the eventual champion last year at State. They had a bunch of veteran turnover from those teams, and it's taking time to figure it all out.

Several people have commented on here, some Hill fans, that the section 4AA winner is a lock not to play on Friday night or that 4AA is way down this year. I quietly disagree. Hill played Wayzata to an OT loss, and have had several close calls/been competitive in most all their other games. Their only dud was to Minnetonka. They simply aren't that far off.
I took a look at their record, who they played, the results especially lately and conclude I'm not discounting any Hill team as long as Lechner is coaching.
BlueLineSpecial

Post by BlueLineSpecial »

Furthering my point that they aren't that far off....

Outshot #7 (Karls rankings) Andover and were tied 2-2 before giving up a couple of goals and an empty netter
Lost to #10 BSM by a 3rd period goal
Had a two-goal lead against #14 Lakeville South before losing in OT
Lost to #15 Champlin by a goal
Beat #18 EP
Tied #23 Stillwater
Beat #25 Grand Rapids by 3 goals
Lost to #9 STA by 2 - a 3rd period goal followed by an empty netter
Outshot Hermantown, had a lead, lost by 2 with one being an empty netter

Not saying the results above are anything to write home about, and losses are losses. Point is, Hill is not hot garbage. They're competitive against decent/good competition but haven't found a way to break through a lot of times. We'll see if they continue turning the corner :idea: 8) :mrgreen:
The City of Hill Murray is beautiful this time of year
headsupsticksdown

Post by headsupsticksdown »

BlueLineSpecial wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:19 pm Furthering my point that they aren't that far off....

Outshot #7 (Karls rankings) Andover and were tied 2-2 before giving up a couple of goals and an empty netter
Lost to #10 BSM by a 3rd period goal
Had a two-goal lead against #14 Lakeville South before losing in OT
Lost to #15 Champlin by a goal
Beat #18 EP
Tied #23 Stillwater
Beat #25 Grand Rapids by 3 goals
Lost to #9 STA by 2 - a 3rd period goal followed by an empty netter
Outshot Hermantown, had a lead, lost by 2 with one being an empty netter

Not saying the results above are anything to write home about, and losses are losses. Point is, Hill is not hot garbage. They're competitive against decent/good competition but haven't found a way to break through a lot of times. We'll see if they continue turning the corner :idea: 8) :mrgreen:
Those games against EP and HTown were REALLY early. I don’t think either team that weekend looked great back then for good reason. But Lechner on the bench always gives them a chance, much like that team off of Valley View Rd. They’re up on Wayzata as we speak….
stateofhawkey

Post by stateofhawkey »

From Saturday 1/28 - Buffalo 1 Wayzata 0. 44 save shutout for Buffalo's goalie
ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

stateofhawkey wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:44 pm From Saturday 1/28 - Buffalo 1 Wayzata 0. 44 save shutout for Buffalo's goalie
Buffalo just beat Rogers in OT tonight

Can Buffalo win 8AA ??
Delayedoffsides

Post by Delayedoffsides »

ClassAGuy wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:10 pm
stateofhawkey wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:44 pm From Saturday 1/28 - Buffalo 1 Wayzata 0. 44 save shutout for Buffalo's goalie

Can Buffalo win 8AA ??
Wouldn’t it be something if Buffalo won 8AA and Andover 7AA? The uproar from the 218’ers would be legendary. 😂😂
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Delayedoffsides wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:59 am

Can Buffalo win 8AA ??
Wouldn’t it be something if Buffalo won 8AA and Andover 7AA? The uproar from the 218’ers would be legendary. 😂😂
Wash your mouth out......
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

elliott70 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:40 am
Delayedoffsides wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:59 am

Can Buffalo win 8AA ??
Wash your mouth out......
I'm looking for a North/South State final...

Chanhassen vs Champlin Park