CCM Tier I

Discussion of Minnesota Girls Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, karl(east)

goaliedad31

CCM Tier I

Post by goaliedad31 »

With a month of practices in and a week of games, what are people's thoughts about the new Tier I program. [/i]
AlterEagle

Post by AlterEagle »

First weekend of games I felt the hockey was slow to start but picked up as the weekend progressed. There are a lot of really good girls in the U14 league so the play will continue to get better as girls get familiar with playing with each other.
Mavs

Post by Mavs »

I was told the hockey was not very good by one parent. Now, I have no idea if that was overall or just their particular team.
AlterEagle

Post by AlterEagle »

It's not boys hockey I'll say that much. If they can keep people interested and make some adjustments, in a couple years it could be very good.

My thoughts:
Either - cut down from 6 to possibly 4 teams.
Or - keep top girls down (this year many top 02's are playing HS elite).

Then - Bring in more out of state tier 1 teams to play.
nu2hockey

Post by nu2hockey »

AlterEagle wrote:
keep top girls down (this year many top 02's are playing HS elite).

Are you sure about that and what teams are they on?
Hansonbrother

Post by Hansonbrother »

AlterEagle wrote:It's not boys hockey I'll say that much. If they can keep people interested and make some adjustments, in a couple years it could be very good.

My thoughts:
I'll be honest, I don't know one 02' playing HS Elite
goaliedad31

Post by goaliedad31 »

Some of the top 02's were told not to participate so they are missing some talent. Overall, however, pretty good hockey and good access to high level coaching.
The program definitely has some kinks to work through. In particular, some associations have tryouts during the playoffs. Which could leave some teams short 8-10 players. Which is really unfortunate as this program is being sold as a means to make it to represent MN in the National Championship. MN hockey should have coordinated better with the associations.
I think it will become more competitive in the future.
nu2hockey

Post by nu2hockey »

Hansonbrother wrote:
AlterEagle wrote:It's not boys hockey I'll say that much. If they can keep people interested and make some adjustments, in a couple years it could be very good.

My thoughts:
There aren't any 02's playing Elite League, but, wanted to see what made AE certain there was
zambonidriver

Post by zambonidriver »

02's are team surge in Elite league
Hansonbrother

Post by Hansonbrother »

zambonidriver wrote:02's are team surge in Elite league
That makes no sense to me.... No offense to the kids, but why are they putting kids who for the most part, haven't played Varsity hockey, in a league with top Varsity players? Doesn't that water down the competition for the top Varsity players and defeat the purpose of this league?
zambonidriver

Post by zambonidriver »

Hansonbrother wrote:
That makes no sense to me.... No offense to the kids, but why are they putting kids who for the most part, haven't played Varsity hockey, in a league with top Varsity players? Doesn't that water down the competition for the top Varsity players and defeat the purpose of this league?
Some of them have played in 8th grade. FYI they are playing an exhibition Schedule of only 10 games. My guess is probably to see how they will compete. Just a thought but my guess is to beat MN hockey to the tier 1 punch. Most if not all of the best 02's are not playing in the fall tier 1 festivals. Team Reebok in the elite league is made up of almost all of the younger 01's that made the national camp and were in 8th grade. There are some exceptions though.
nu2hockey

Post by nu2hockey »

Team Surge will only play against Team Reebok and Team CCM and not against the Elite teams ...
jg2112

Post by jg2112 »

Hansonbrother wrote:
In the O/S League, they beat Mounds View twice in the spring (at least once with S. Brodt on the ice) and defeated Lakeville North 3-0 on Sunday. I suspect at least most of them, save the 7th grader, will be on varsity rosters this winter. I don't think that team waters down any competition.
zambonidriver

Post by zambonidriver »

jg2112 wrote:
Hansonbrother wrote:
In the O/S League, they beat Mounds View twice in the spring (at least once with S. Brodt on the ice) and defeated Lakeville North 3-0 on Sunday. I suspect at least most of them, save the 7th grader, will be on varsity rosters this winter. I don't think that team waters down any competition.
Team Surge are the Best 02's there are players invited that are not on team OS Jungles Nelson, Wethington, Bothun, to name a few that have been invited that play on other teams. They will be very Competitive. There are some Varsity eighth graders from last year that are 02's that won't be playing that would make this team even better, Best, Mills, to name a few.
Mavs

Post by Mavs »

jg2112 wrote:
Hansonbrother wrote:
Why is Brodt playing if she graduated?
jg2112

Post by jg2112 »

Mavs wrote:
jg2112 wrote:
Hansonbrother wrote: That makes no sense to me.... No offense to the kids, but why are they putting kids who for the most part, haven't played Varsity hockey, in a league with top Varsity players? Doesn't that water down the competition for the top Varsity players and defeat the purpose of this league?
It was the O/S Spring League. I think she was okay to skate in that league.
MN_Bowhunter

Post by MN_Bowhunter »

Mavs wrote:
It was probably her little sister A. Brodt
HockeyDude20

Post by HockeyDude20 »

Hansonbrother wrote:

My thoughts:
I know 17 of them...mmmbop!
Hansonbrother

Post by Hansonbrother »

HockeyDude20 wrote:
Hansonbrother wrote:

My thoughts:
Well then I guess its people like you who make this forum legit. Without a dog in the fight, I didn't realize until Zamboni pointed it out, that they (02's) are playing a somewhat exhibition schedule...Is it a first, because I don't remember Elite League doing this in years past.
HockeyDude20

Post by HockeyDude20 »

Hansonbrother wrote:
HockeyDude20 wrote:
Hansonbrother wrote: I'll be honest, I don't know one 02' playing HS Elite
Well then I guess its people like you who make this forum legit. Without a dog in the fight, I didn't realize until Zamboni pointed it out, that they (02's) are playing a somewhat exhibition schedule...Is it a first, because I don't remember Elite League doing this in years past.
That's why I'm here- to add legitimacy. Surge does only play two other teams over the course of the league- CCM and Reebok. They probably could play an expanded schedule and play a similar schedule as Sky or Royal and probably be just fine. But as you pointed out Elite League has not done this in the past. And as ZD astutely observed a lot of the decision most likely has to do with the competition from MN Hockey with the Fall Tier I league.

ZD, I hope the new girls pick up the systems quickly! Lol. Kidding, of course. The new girls are welcome additions.
Mavs

Post by Mavs »

Will be interesting to watch this vs MN Tier 1
jg2112

Post by jg2112 »

MN_Bowhunter wrote:
Mavs wrote:
It was probably her little sister A. Brodt
Both were out there.
observer

Post by observer »

Sounds sticky not having the best girls participate in Tier 1.
jg2112

Post by jg2112 »

observer wrote:Sounds sticky not having the best girls participate in Tier 1.
It might be a one-year anomaly. Tier 1 in 2016 was announced months after most 2002s committed to AAA and the August-September schedule. 2003s weren't offered the chance to try out until June.

It's also worth mentioning that any soccer players, swimmers, and tennis players that are early 2002s have high school commitments in August-September that require their attendance.
Mavs

Post by Mavs »

HockeyDude20 wrote:
Hansonbrother wrote:
HockeyDude20 wrote: I know 17 of them...mmmbop!
That's why I'm here- to add legitimacy. Surge does only play two other teams over the course of the league- CCM and Reebok. They probably could play an expanded schedule and play a similar schedule as Sky or Royal and probably be just fine. But as you pointed out Elite League has not done this in the past. And as ZD astutely observed a lot of the decision most likely has to do with the competition from MN Hockey with the Fall Tier I league.

ZD, I hope the new girls pick up the systems quickly! Lol. Kidding, of course. The new girls are welcome additions.
Do they become eligible for Tier 1? I know there is some criteria that goes into it to be able to play in a tier 1 tourney. Roster and attended x amount of games, etc