notable high school takes

Discussion of Minnesota Girls Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, karl(east)

Mavs

notable high school takes

Post by Mavs »

We can add to this as high school tryouts finish...
In the meantime, we can add 7th graders from last year (now 8th) that were already on JV or varsity

Olivia Mobley- St. Louis Park varsity (8th)

add other notable kids playing high school early
jg2112

Re: notable high school takes

Post by jg2112 »

Mavs wrote:We can add to this as high school tryouts finish...
In the meantime, we can add 7th graders from last year (now 8th) that were already on JV or varsity

Alexandra Belde played JV for Hill-Murray as a 7th grader last year.
Mavs

Post by Mavs »

jg2112 wrote:

Was told by someone that Maddie Skelton and Nina Stiegaaf are locks for Hill Murray JV this coming year as 8th graders.
jg2112

Post by jg2112 »

Mavs wrote:
jg2112 wrote:

Was told by someone that Maddie Skelton and Nina Stiegaaf are locks for Hill Murray JV this coming year as 8th graders.
I have heard Eleanor Winges is also trying for Hill-Murray JV this year as a 7th grader.
HockeyDude20

Post by HockeyDude20 »

I can assure you that Skelton will NOT be going to Hill Murray...
HockeyDude20

Post by HockeyDude20 »

HockeyDude20 wrote:I can assure you that Skelton will NOT be going to Hill Murray...
I'd like to add that she is staying right at home in Cambridge/Isanti.
nu2hockey

Post by nu2hockey »

Until the Warroad pipeline comes calling..... :?:
Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey »

nu2hockey wrote:Until the Warroad pipeline comes calling..... :?:
Lol
observer

Post by observer »

All unfortunate.
Mavs

Post by Mavs »

HockeyDude20 wrote:I can assure you that Skelton will NOT be going to Hill Murray...
Okay, good to debunk that rumor. Thanks for the info. I will let my source know he has bad info.
jg2112

Post by jg2112 »

HockeyDude20 wrote:
That probably still makes her a take at the high school though, doesn't it? Does Cambridge / Isanti have a U15 team, or, is she jumping into Bantams?
Mavs

Post by Mavs »

jg2112 wrote:
HockeyDude20 wrote:
That probably still makes her a take at the high school though, doesn't it? Does Cambridge / Isanti have a U15 team, or, is she jumping into Bantams?
Was there more than one Cambridge Isanti kid that played for Andover 12A last year? Another coach told me half their team (I'm sure he was exaggerating) either waived in or moved in last year. I am guessing it was only a couple and he was bitter after losing to them.
NORTHWOODS HOCKEY

Post by NORTHWOODS HOCKEY »

Andover's 12UA team had two waive ins from Cambridge/Isanti. All the rest were Andover players. Whether they recently moved in or not really doesn't matter or shouldn't - they live and/or go to school in Andover.

The people responsible for building Andover's girls program have done a great job and should be sought out from other associations, D10 and Minnesota hockey as to what they are doing and why it works. The move ins and/or a couple waive ins have/had very little to do with their overall success. They have a lot of high end talent and they are deep as well. Their HS and 12UA teams have been to state the past two years and both will probably make another run at state this year. It is a fairly new, young and growing community. With the success they are having and a HS coach that is proving to be not only one of the better coaches in the state, but probably the best young female coach in the state, why wouldn't a family looking to relocate to the northern suburbs, seriously consider Andover (and no, I don't live there). Sounds like a coach looking for an excuse as to why he/she got beat.
jg2112

Post by jg2112 »

NORTHWOODS HOCKEY wrote:Andover's 12UA team had two waive ins from Cambridge/Isanti. All the rest were Andover players. Whether they recently moved in or not really doesn't matter or shouldn't - they live and/or go to school in Andover.

The people responsible for building Andover's girls program have done a great job and should be sought out from other associations, D10 and Minnesota hockey as to what they are doing and why it works. The move ins and/or a couple waive ins have/had very little to do with their overall success. They have a lot of high end talent and they are deep as well. Their HS and 12UA teams have been to state the past two years and both will probably make another run at state this year. It is a fairly new, young and growing community. With the success they are having and a HS coach that is proving to be not only one of the better coaches in the state, but probably the best young female coach in the state, why wouldn't a family looking to relocate to the northern suburbs, seriously consider Andover (and no, I don't live there). Sounds like a coach looking for an excuse as to why he/she got beat.
These are all absolutely spot on points. Well said.

Andover's growth and success in the winter has gone hand in hand with the success of Miracle Gold in the spring and summer. It's not a coincidence both programs are doing well.

In regards to waive-ins, from looking at Andover's U12 tryout list, there is a fabulous player who skated for St. Cloud PeeWees last year who is evidently trying out. If I gambled with money I would put cash on the Huskies playing for the state title this year against either Edina or Tonka.
Lace'emUp

Post by Lace'emUp »

jg2112 wrote:
NORTHWOODS HOCKEY wrote:Andover's 12UA team had two waive ins from Cambridge/Isanti. All the rest were Andover players. Whether they recently moved in or not really doesn't matter or shouldn't - they live and/or go to school in Andover.

Andover's growth and success in the winter has gone hand in hand with the success of Miracle Gold in the spring and summer. It's not a coincidence both programs are doing well.

In regards to waive-ins, from looking at Andover's U12 tryout list, there is a fabulous player who skated for St. Cloud PeeWees last year who is evidently trying out. If I gambled with money I would put cash on the Huskies playing for the state title this year against either Edina or Tonka.
Is this St Cloud PeeWee moving in, or waiving in? If waiving in, the new rule this year is that even if you live outside the district and open enroll in a different school district (in this case Andover), you cannot play at the top level for your first year. This comes right from the mouth of the D10 Director. She was burned with a few illegitimate waivers last year, so this year she's looking at each one individually and verifying whether they're legit, or not. All D10 association have been warned.
jg2112

Post by jg2112 »

Lace'emUp wrote:
jg2112 wrote:

Is this St Cloud PeeWee moving in, or waiving in? If waiving in, the new rule this year is that even if you live outside the district and open enroll in a different school district (in this case Andover), you cannot play at the top level for your first year. This comes right from the mouth of the D10 Director. She was burned with a few illegitimate waivers last year, so this year she's looking at each one individually and verifying whether they're legit, or not. All D10 association have been warned.
I've no idea whether the waiver is residence or school based. All I know is the girl's name on the web page.
Snap Happy

Post by Snap Happy »

NORTHWOODS HOCKEY wrote:...The move ins and/or a couple waive ins have/had very little to do with their overall success...
I have no skin in the game here, but it's hard to argue that the move-ins and waive-ins didn't contribute largely to their success at 12A last year. Take them out of the picture, Andover is still good (nice player, maybe a couple), but I find it hard to believe they're are near the team they were with these 3 or 4 (or more??).
Mavs

Post by Mavs »

When the coach told me, they had just lost to them and I was pretty clear it was an excuse/exaggeration so I had no idea what the real truth was.
NORTHWOODS HOCKEY

Post by NORTHWOODS HOCKEY »

Snap, yes, I wouldn't disagree that the waive ins contributed to the 12UA team or why else would they take them. I meant the overall success of the program. Their HS went to state the last 2 years, their 12UA went to state the last 2 years, their 12UB went to regions this past year and their 10UA teams have only lost a handful of games the past two years.

I think and correct me if I am wrong, last years 12UA team, minus the 2 waive ins and any move ins, won the D10 10UA tourney two years ago.
InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya »

Lace'emUp wrote:
jg2112 wrote:

If St Cloud doesn't offer 12A, can't she waive to a program that does?
Lace'emUp

Post by Lace'emUp »

InigoMontoya wrote:
Lace'emUp wrote:
jg2112 wrote: These are all absolutely spot on points. Well said.

If St Cloud doesn't offer 12A, can't she waive to a program that does?
If your waiver is based upon the school district you attend, and this is the first year of applying for a school district waiver (it's a special waiver form just for this purpose), you cannot play on the top level team. That is the rule.

However, if she already waived over last year because of school district attendance, she would be fine this year.

If St Cloud is not having a team, and she goes to a St Could school, I'd find it hard to believe that D5 would allow a 12A level girl to be waive out of the district when Buffalo, STMA, and Sauk Rapids all have 12A teams, and they are closer than Andover. D10 would deny this waiver if it's for that reason.
Pucksnprayers

Post by Pucksnprayers »

Yes, Andover does a nice job of recruiting both at the entry level as well as established experienced skaters. Last year on one girls team, 3 players waivered in while 2 girls along with their families moved to Andover. This year, a few more girls and their families relocated to Andover. I call being persistent and a model association that not all accept. Andover is a strong program thanks in some part to the coordinators, managers and others while the main contributing factor is the recent success they have had.

Andover should be strong at all levels again this year at both the boys and girls levels.

:lol:
Mavs

Post by Mavs »

Pucksnprayers wrote:Yes, Andover does a nice job of recruiting both at the entry level as well as established experienced skaters. Last year on one girls team, 3 players waivered in while 2 girls along with their families moved to Andover. This year, a few more girls and their families relocated to Andover. I call being persistent and a model association that not all accept. Andover is a strong program thanks in some part to the coordinators, managers and others while the main contributing factor is the recent success they have had.

Andover should be strong at all levels again this year at both the boys and girls levels.

Hopkins basketball
Apple Valley Wrestling
Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey »

Pucksnprayers wrote:Yes, Andover does a nice job of recruiting both at the entry level as well as established experienced skaters. Last year on one girls team, 3 players waivered in while 2 girls along with their families moved to Andover. This year, a few more girls and their families relocated to Andover. I call being persistent and a model association that not all accept. Andover is a strong program thanks in some part to the coordinators, managers and others while the main contributing factor is the recent success they have had.

First I would be remiss not to first state that... Why would you move to Andover when you could move to Blaine instead? We regularly play them and our record hasn't been too shabby at any level. Just sayin'...!

To the Andover parent above - it's statements like that about 10u recruiting that has D10 and MN hockey up in arms. I expect the transfers/moves/waivers in and out will become more and more scrutinized the next few years - but NOT (no plot twist here) from the hockey governing bodies who will still only be about as ardently and fairly and accurately verifying and investigating as the MSHSL has been since Achiever. IOW, not until there are so many complaints that they are forced to act. I think instead it's the youth parents and coaches, more specifically the losing coaches and the parents whose baby girl has worn the mustard and black since she could walk and has now lost her top spot to some interloper from non-Andover. Or, god forbid, St. Cloud! Gasp, IKR.
Completely off point, but I've long wondered why the Cloud area can't put together consistenly winning teams, at any level really. Let's move Selects to Schwans and be done with it. Kidding! None of our local hotels could accommodate as many hockey girls in the pool or as many beers (I mean dads) on the pool deck. The local St. Cloud economy needs us lol. Just a thought, moving on. Where was I?
There is a lot of bitching, both justified and just angry, from a lot of parents. Andover is a big topic. Duluth is another one (not one player at HP14s?) White Bear is the topic of many conversations, but not as much about cheating as "what now." Same from Roseville. Will pride kill the program that should maybe coop? At the high school level, much of the same. BE players returning... where? Blake finally beatable? Proctor recruiting Duluth and dumping their ride or die families? Bloomington?? Enough said.

This post seems completely off track so I'll close by asking this to you Cambridge and Andover and other D10 dads. A guy at the Caribou Cup told me that there are at least 8 maybe as many as 12 young women who played their youth hockey with you and are now Sophomores, Juniors, Seniors at various other metro schools (not including Warroad lol) who will play D1. I would really love this to be true! What a team that could have been right? I only know 1 player (Oden, 10th, Edina) and I cannot remember the other names this guy rattled off. So confirm or deny??

Good luck to everyone this season. Tryout season is upon us! And if you are looking for a home in the Blaine area (hell I'll drive over to Andover too, but no way Coon Rapids lol) pm me :)
nu2hockey

Post by nu2hockey »

Speaking of Andover..are they still in 7AA. ..MSHS League lists them in both 5AA and 7AA. ..I am pretty sure they want to stay in 7AA, 5AA would a tougher section with Maple Grove, Blaine, and Centennial