Week 5 Games

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

moosepaw

Week 5 Games

Post by moosepaw »

Proctor/ Hermantown VS Grand Rapids/ Greenway historic programs

Wilmer VS Ferguss Falls section contest.

Great out state game.

Stillwater VS Gentry
Gentry for real? Stillwater tied Forest lake?

BSM VS Minnetonka.

Battle of 2 top 10 teams.
j4241

Re: Week 5 Games

Post by j4241 »

Those out state games are between teams that are well outside the top end of AA. Stillwater / Gentry could also answer the question is Stillwater for real. BSM/Minnetonka is a big game between two teams that most put in the top 5. BSM has been very stingy - game against HIll was very even and decided on bounces.

On Tuesday, I also think Lakeville South/Burnsville should be interesting, as should Tonka/NWC. CDH playing Forest Lake should also be interesting - see how real CDH is. Right now the narrative is CDH is just short of a top team after only a loss to a top Stillwater team. Stillwater's game against Gentry and CDH against Forest Lake could provide confirmation or a significant wrench in that narrative.

On Wednesday, Maple Grove/Rogers could be interesting - let's see if Maple Grove completes any passes in that game. Seems like the solo senior show for that team so far. Breck/NWC should be interesting on Friday.
PhunnsieMcHockeyDad

Post by PhunnsieMcHockeyDad »

We'll also see Centennial take their shot at Andover on Saturday. Cougars are 6-1 and have some convincing wins. They won't back down - not with Moline coaching - closest anyone has come to the Huskies is 4.

EAST SIDE REPORT....
Forest Lake is improving after getting smoked by the Big Red Machine in game 1, evident by the 4-4 tie on Saturday. It helps to have a star like Golnitz to put the team on her shoulders. They lost 12 to graduation but did have a deep stable at JV. CDH tied Roseville Saturday, the Raiders from the North end of Snelling always come to play against their "friends" on the other end of the Ave. (and the game was at 10:15AM so the parents couldn't even have a pre-game mingle at the VFW). They're tough, feisty, skilled and go hard on both ends of the ice. Hill and Stillwater best not take them lightly in sections. CDH decided the 3rd period would be a great time to bring some effort to the ice and pulled even. OT was all CDH but the older Jones sister was a wall in nets. It might have been the most insincere post-game stick tap I've ever witnessed and there was zero mingling post-game. Not a lot of love between these two teams....

Gentry and Stillwater will be a great game, tons of skill and speed. Mira has some young ones on that roster and she's not afraid to play them all. Gentry is legit #1 in Class A and probably top 5 in the state. Great test for both teams. It's at Vadnais so I hope the LiveBarn feed isn't blocked!
j4241

Post by j4241 »

Andover will smoke Centennial. Shots will be more than 50 to less than 15, at least.
Lace'emUp

Post by Lace'emUp »

Agreed. If Centennial can keep it to a 5-1 loss (as Elk River did), and keep the SOG's given up under 50 (averaging 55+ per game), that will be an accomplishment to build on.
ShakestheClown

Post by ShakestheClown »

j4241 wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:23 pm Those out state games are between teams that are well outside the top end of AA.
Statements like that are why this forum is dead. Go ahead dismiss half the state. Just because the rosters aren't loaded with future D1 players, doesn't mean that the game(s) won't be competitive or remotely entertaining to watch. GR and Hermantown both have kids that can flat out play.

Girls/womens hockey is already fighting an uphill battle to get recognition as a worthwhile endeavor. Remember, these girls are all playing in the most competitive girls youth hockey league in North America, if not the world. Top to bottom these girls are better than what most of the world can muster.

If this forum is going to just involve the metro, and more the point the Lake Conference, count me out.
j4241

Post by j4241 »

Fair enough - and you're right. That was dismissive of me. We both want the same thing - a healthy girls game. I didn't mean to detract from that goal.
slowD

Post by slowD »

A couple key games in 2A Section 8 this week for seeding. Brainard vs Alex and Roseau vs Moorhead.
Should be able to tell how legit Grand Rapids is after this weekend as they play Proctor/Hermantown and Alexandria this week.(possibly one P/H "tough" games for the season??) Can the Bischoff girl score against the tough teams?
North Wright County and Breck should be a good game. How good is Breck after losing a key player?
Can Gentry keep rolling and beat Stillwater? What would a Stillwater victory mean?
Will Warroad be able to right the ship and take care of Dodge County and Bloomington Jefferson as they make their second long trip back to the southern fishing grounds?

In 2A -
Will Edina vs EP be much of a game?
Can Centennial make it a game against Andover or will the Huskies crush them?
Minnetonka vs BSM could be an interesting game. If BSM plays a great game could there be an upset?

And should probably touch on the games that have already happened... Hill-Murray rolled over Dodge County 7-1.
Moosepaw has had an easy week so far defending his team - what happened in the 2-0 loss to Blake. If HF wants to be considered a power house and top team they need to take care of Blake - really no debate about that??
Eastview cracks a top 10 ranking and then loses in OT to Rosemount.
j4241

Post by j4241 »

Hutchinson's W over Willmar must have been a heck of a game last night - out-shot 44-19, but pull out the 2-1 victory? Congrats to Hutchinson!
j4241

Post by j4241 »

And how about Forest Lake's OT win over CDH - 97 total shots on goal in a 2-1 overtime win? Another exciting one!
PhunnsieMcHockeyDad

Post by PhunnsieMcHockeyDad »

I think my buddy doing shots at Highland Arena is a little generous but the music is awesome.

Pretty good game, FL's top group can play with anyone on the East Side. CDH hammered their goalie at the end of the second on a power play and she stopped everything. Good, evenly matched game and FL has rebounded nicely from losing all the seniors. Fluky game winner - gotta tie up on faceoffs so those things don't happen. Still think Stillwater is the top team in the Suburban East and FL will not challenge Andover in Section 7.

In my opinion CDH has to run the table (or come close) to be considered for a 3 seed in Section 6. Right now they're 4 or 5 after going L-T-L ... gonna have to decide how badly they want to win the rest of the way.
moosepaw

Post by moosepaw »

Slow D thank you for the review, on the Holy Family VS Blake game it’s very simple, we are struggling to score. Once we get healthy and get everyone eligible to play we are a completely different team. Many rumors out there, more kids possibly moving in and we have a couple of hearings with the MSHSL. I am not sure what will happen.

Blake is a good team, they have skill at both d and f. Their goaltending is very good as well.

I’m just glad we are not in their section, I still think there is time to turn it around. In the end I predict we will be in the section final.

Although it is an away game Randy will get the ship turned around tomorrow.
Eagles93

Post by Eagles93 »

I have a hard time believing that moosepaw is not parody.
jg2112

Post by jg2112 »

moosepaw wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:27 pm Slow D thank you for the review, on the Holy Family VS Blake game it’s very simple, we are struggling to score. Once we get healthy and get everyone eligible to play we are a completely different team. Many rumors out there, more kids possibly moving in and we have a couple of hearings with the MSHSL. I am not sure what will happen.

Blake is a good team, they have skill at both d and f. Their goaltending is very good as well.

I’m just glad we are not in their section, I still think there is time to turn it around. In the end I predict we will be in the section final.

Although it is an away game Randy will get the ship turned around tomorrow.
I love parents that use the word "we" to describe their kids' high school sports teams.

Tonight's game is against one of the worst A teams in the State, according to KRACH. Way to go out on a limb and predict a victory for Holy Family.

Moosepaw's post here sounds like a typical first-year college football coach, promising the fans that things will turn around once the coach gets his players in. How far we've come since 3 weeks ago, when over 10 of the current players were getting D1 interest. You'd think with such talent already on the books there would be no need to displace it with new talent.

Moosepaw - a newsflash. Would you like to know why Holy Family is struggling to score in certain games this year? It's because HF is playing teams with D1-caliber defenders. You can't be shocked the team is having problems when you play against defenders committed to Minnesota, Ohio State, Vermont, Brown, Cornell, and Harvard.
j4241

Post by j4241 »

I don't think some level of surprise by MoosePaw is off-base. HF has some very talented forwards (as MoosePaw pointed out - more kids playing in the elite league than any other team). It's a fair question if maybe they aren't as good as MoosePaw has proclaimed. But they clearly have some kids on the front-end hoping and likely able to play college hockey. And yet HF has only scored 3 goals in total in their 6 games against teams that are also winning games (with 2 of those 3 goals against single A Orono).

By contrast, there are many teams that are scoring against back-ends that are at least as skilled as the ones HF has played.
-Blake has 2 D1 committed D, a D3 commit, and a '23 D1 prospect - and Edina scored 6, Breck scored 5, and Wayzata scored 4.
-Edina has 3 D1 commits on D, and a phenomenal D1 committed goalie - and Blake scored 3.
-Benilde has 4 D1 committed D, a D1 goalie, and Blake scored 5 in two games, and Hill Murray scored 3.
-Breck has 2 D1 committed D (both to the Gophers), and Chisago scored 3, Blake scored 3, HM scored 3, and Minnehaha scored 4.
-Gentry has 1 D1 committed D, and 3 strong '23 D1 prospects, and Delano, Minneapolis and SSP scored 3.
-Stillwater scored 4 against a Forest Lake team with one of the best D in Minnesota.
-Andover's entire roster will probably play D1 (no insight into their JV team, but I'm assuming there are more there, too), and Maddy Christian from Elk River is scoring at a point/game against them.

I'm sure there are some other teams with strong back-ends that I'm forgetting, and I bet teams are scoring against them, too. So why can't HF score? I'm genuinely curious.
girlshockey4ever

Post by girlshockey4ever »

If HF has so many D-1 recruits and still loses the answer is simple....Their head coach must be awful. When teams with "lots" of talent lose...what's the only explanation? Have you watched him on the bench? Embarrassing to the girls game. Watching him in the girls section final against EP last year was so sad.

14-2 over Waconia? Get real. And yet HF has only scored 3 goals in total in their 6 games against teams that are also winning games (with 2 of those 3 goals against single A Orono). As I said in a previous post...When you beat a good team you can be in the conversation. As for now Moosepaw your program is standing 1/4 way up the mountain shouting "We made it to the top!"