Week 3 game of the week

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

moosepaw

Week 3 game of the week

Post by moosepaw »

Some great games this week.

In state game of the week

Orono vs Mound Westonks.

Winner Mound Westonka.

Outstate game of the wee

Roseau be Warroad

Winner Warrroad.
Eagles93

Re: Week 3 game of the week

Post by Eagles93 »

Yes, quite a few good games this week:

Tuesday
Wayzata @ Minnetonka
Holy Family @ New Prague (Huge game!)
River Lakes @ Alexandria
Lakeville South @ Rosemount
Breck @ Hill-Murray
Roseau @ Warroad

Friday
South St Paul @ Chisago Lakes
Maple Grove @ Andover
Holy Family @ Edina

Saturday
BSM @ Hill-Murray
Eden Prairie @ Wayzata
East Ridge @ CDH
Mound Westonka @ Orono
girlshockey4ever

Post by girlshockey4ever »

Any idea why Uma hasn't played yet?
j4241

Post by j4241 »

I believe the dream team article mentioned an injury, which they described as minor but making the start to the season delayed for her.
Thoen88

Post by Thoen88 »

Will be interesting to see how the HF/Edina plays out. After games against Orono, Gentry and New Prague, the Hornets should be a step up in competition for the Fire.
j4241

Post by j4241 »

This may be a case of my missing some sarcasm on your part, but I predict... that will not be interesting. Edina will smoke HF.
girlshockey4ever

Keep in mind, HF has only had 2 big wins in their program history. Last year during the Christmas they beat Blake (without their stud) and then HM. After that the program has never beaten a top 10 team. Ever. If they want to be taken serious or even ranked they need to start beating serious teams.
jg2112

Post by jg2112 »

girlshockey4ever wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:39 pm Keep in mind, HF has only had 2 big wins in their program history. Last year during the Christmas they beat Blake (without their stud) and then HM. After that the program has never beaten a top 10 team. Ever. If they want to be taken serious or even ranked they need to start beating serious teams.
Mildly unfair. They've only been a "program" for less than 3 years. They have to start somewhere.

The question to me is whether they can sustain into the future, after the coach's daughter graduates in 2023. That's a roster built to win next year and the year after. Only 2 2024s and 1 2025 on the 20 girl roster this year. Looks eerily similar to Blake's roster this year.
moosepaw

Post by moosepaw »

We have been around much longer than 3 years. If you look at our schedule this year, how many new student/ athletes came in this year, we have never had as many D1 commits ever in the history.
Plus we must have another 6-7 that are getting looks from D1 schools that would be at total of 11 D1 including Pellici, will see how we do this week.
PhunnsieMcHockeyDad

Post by PhunnsieMcHockeyDad »

I think the continued pounding on HF is a little unfair. Our girls (CDH) played them in the Gap Season (I think it was 4-3 HF?) and I have a couple of observations.

1. Tons of talent, but they're going to be a different team when they get Kaiser in the lineup next season. She was - by far- the best player on the ice in our game, and I give her credit for making the move from the best program in the state AND having to take a year off. Maybe I don't know all the facts about the move, but she'll be a strong Ms. Hockey candidate next season and they will be a team to be reckoned with.

2. Up and down they have talent, and it's across the board in terms of classes.

3. Randy doesn't deserve the cheap shots. I don't know him well, but had a chance to talk at the game and he's a good guy. He's built a program that is attractive to kids and parents, and you don't need a coach to be out recruiting - the kids take care of that. Private schools get hammered all the time for recruiting - but just look at all the movement last summer by the 8th graders in the public schools. Heck, do a google search of Andover's roster to see where they all played at 10U! More power to them, especially if that's what the kids and parents want because it's a free country and as long as they follow the rules it's cool....but don't hammer a Coach that is doing his job and clearly has a passion for the sport.

4. Losing to Gentry isn't a bad thing. That roster is loaded. It will be fun to see what they do against Warroad next weekend. You'll know more about both programs. The loss to SSP wasn't indicative of their talent. Packers got a fluky goal in the first period and most of the game was played in the SSP D-zone - Norman was great in nets too.

5. Edina and Andover are going to smoke everyone this season - not just HF (Minnetonka might make them sweat a little), but it's a two team field in AA.
moosepaw

Post by moosepaw »

McHockeydad thank you and Amen.
Eagles93

Post by Eagles93 »

PhunnsieMcHockeyDad wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:49 amI think the continued pounding on HF is a little unfair.
I don't think anyone is pounding on HF. Some of us are simply saying that they shouldn't be handed a championship trophy just for recruiting good players. Let's see how they do in the actual games. I root for anyone that plays against Edina so I'll be pulling for HF on Friday.

Speaking of rooting... I can't help but root for Lakeville North now this season.
https://www.mngirlshockeyhub.com/news_a ... ow/1142550

Does anyone know what happened to LN's goalie from last year? They had a junior that played most of their games.
moosepaw

Post by moosepaw »

My thoughts and prayers are with the Minnetonka family.

The girl hs community is with you.
slowD

Post by slowD »

Lots of games last night...any post game reports or thoughts? East ridge with a big win over SSP. Breck and Blake both lose. Some close games and some lopsided games. Prayers and a speedy recovery to the Minnetonka parent!!
j4241

Post by j4241 »

Breck badly outshot HM - looks like the HM goalie was the difference in what was probably an upset.

SSP was crushed in shots by Gentry last week - seems like that was more upset than the better team winning. Which gives me another data point on how strong Gentry is given east ridge squeaking by ssp. Must have been a very exciting game tho!

Warroad absolutely thumping Roseau caught me by surprise - did not expect that. Warroad/Gentry games will be interesting.

Blake scoring 3 against Edina/Uma with a shot difference of only 38-24 no doubt caught some people by surprise. Edina is very strong, but a huge portion of their offense goes through Conner. She is a fantastic hockey player.
jg2112

Post by jg2112 »

j4241 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:15 am Breck badly outshot HM - looks like the HM goalie was the difference in what was probably an upset.

SSP was crushed in shots by Gentry last week - seems like that was more upset than the better team winning. Which gives me another data point on how strong Gentry is given east ridge squeaking by ssp. Must have been a very exciting game tho!

Warroad absolutely thumping Roseau caught me by surprise - did not expect that. Warroad/Gentry games will be interesting.

Blake scoring 3 against Edina/Uma with a shot difference of only 38-24 no doubt caught some people by surprise. Edina is very strong, but a huge portion of their offense goes through Conner. She is a fantastic hockey player.
Yes. If SSP and Gentry played again, it is more likely the result would be a 6-0 Gentry win than a close game.

SSP's first goal was a dump in from the left neutral zone boards that the Gentry goalie misplayed on the bounce.
SSP's second goal was a dump in from the right neutral zone that the Gentry goalie misplayed on the bounce.

I just explained 2 of SSP's four first-period "shots on goal."

SSP's third goal was a backhand by Deering from the edge of the face-off circle that a Gentry defender deflected into her own net via her skate.

It's too bad these two teams won't rematch at Sections. Maybe at State. According to the MSHSL website, Gentry is in 5A this year. That means four of the top 7 single A teams (Breck, Chisago, Gentry, Orono) are in one section.
BSUBeaver

Post by BSUBeaver »

Sounds like River Lakes and Alexandria was a good one last night. Alex led 2-1 with under a minute left, River Lakes scores with 41 seconds left and then scores 59 seconds into OT to win.

River Lakes (A) now has wins over Alexandria (AA), Brainerd-Little Falls (AA), St. Cloud (AA), Bemidji (AA) and Fergus Falls(A).

https://www.echopress.com/sports/hockey ... Alexandria
massalsa

Post by massalsa »

j4241 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:15 am [Blake scoring 3 against Edina/Uma with a shot difference of only 38-24 no doubt caught some people by surprise. Edina is very strong, but a huge portion of their offense goes through Conner. She is a fantastic hockey player.
I believe that 2 of the Blake were on the power play. This years team already has 4 PP goals in 4 games against very good competition. Remarkable with all of the horsepower Blake had last season that they only scored 8 PP goals in 25 games!
jg2112 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:36 pm It's too bad these two teams won't rematch at Sections. Maybe at State. According to the MSHSL website, Gentry is in 5A this year. That means four of the top 7 single A teams (Breck, Chisago, Gentry, Orono) are in one section.
Remarkable for sure...but pretty standard for MNHSL hockey...especially on the girls side!

Gentry appears to be making a mockery of single A on the boys side as well! They are going to be a powerhouse in hockey if this season is any indication of the programs they will have in the future!
slowD

Post by slowD »

Can anyone verify that Gentry is in section 5?
girlshockey4ever

Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

j4241 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:15 am Breck badly outshot HM - looks like the HM goalie was the difference in what was probably an upset.

Hockey Hub has shots 40-20 in favor of HM...
j4241

Post by j4241 »

Thank you for correcting that - I'm not sure if I just goofed, or if it was originally misreported, but that's a data point suggesting HM is better than I thought. That shot total is similar to HMs against Hastings, and I think Breck is a bit better than Hastings. Not sure how to interpret that.
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

j4241 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:03 pm Thank you for correcting that - I'm not sure if I just goofed, or if it was originally misreported, but that's a data point suggesting HM is better than I thought. That shot total is similar to HMs against Hastings, and I think Breck is a bit better than Hastings. Not sure how to interpret that.
We'll see how good HM is as they play BSM and Edina the next couple games.
jg2112

Post by jg2112 »

#2 Edina 8 - #10 Holy Family 0
#1 Andover 7 - #6 Maple Grove 0

I understand teams can have off nights, but those results are embarrassing.

Hopefully some team (Tonka? Hill? Still? BSM? CDH?) can make AA interesting before the State title game.
massalsa

Post by massalsa »

Thoen88 wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:02 am Will be interesting to see how the HF/Edina plays out. After games against Orono, Gentry and New Prague, the Hornets should be a step up in competition for the Fire.
j4241 wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:57 pm This may be a case of my missing some sarcasm on your part, but I predict... that will not be interesting. Edina will smoke HF.
moosepaw wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:13 am We have been around much longer than 3 years. If you look at our schedule this year, how many new student/ athletes came in this year, we have never had as many D1 commits ever in the history.
Plus we must have another 6-7 that are getting looks from D1 schools that would be at total of 11 D1 including Pellici, will see how we do this week.
:shock: https://www.mngirlshockeyhub.com/game/s ... er=5878509 :shock: