Week 2 Game of the Week

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

moosepaw

Week 2 Game of the Week

Post by moosepaw »

Game of the week:

Gentry VS Holy Family

2 programs that are on the way up.

Gentry had 2 nice wins and HF had a huge win against Hutchinson that wasn’t even close.

I’m going with HF!
Eagles93

Re: Week 2 Game of the Week

Post by Eagles93 »

moosepaw wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:38 am HF had a huge win against Hutchinson
Huge?
moosepaw

Post by moosepaw »

What I mean is the score was 9-1 and Hutchinson is in the top 20.
girlshockey4ever

Post by girlshockey4ever »

C'mon get off the Holy Family train. 9-1 over Hutch a big win?

Games of the week-
EP v Tonka
SSP v Breck
Burnsville v Eastview

EP v Hill
BSM v Blake
Lakeville North v Lakeville South
Eagles93

Post by Eagles93 »

moosepaw wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:38 pm What I mean is the score was 9-1 and Hutchinson is in the top 20.
Top 20 of Class A? If Holy Family is a legit top 10 AA team this year, I would be surprised if they won by less than 8 over all but about 4-5 class A teams.
j4241

Post by j4241 »

The 20th ranked A school last year was East Grand Forks, which was ranked 68th in an all-class ranking (both according to myhockeyrankings.com). Congrats on your... big?.. win.
j4241

Post by j4241 »

That may have been a little obscure - my point was to provide a rough indication of what a 20th ranked team in Minnesota looks like. Holy Family is obviously a lot better than a team at that level. Unfortunately, beating a team badly that's much worse than you doesn't really say anything about how you'll perform against teams that are as fast or faster, as skilled or more skilled (as several of their opponents this year are). Holy Family will be a tough out this year, but we will know more once they play teams that are a better match.
j4241

Post by j4241 »

Apparently you mis-judged your game of the week...
j4241

Post by j4241 »

Holy Family and #7 A rated Orono skate to a 2-2 tie, with Orono having a commanding lead in shots on goal. I can’t remember a top 10 AA team ever losing to a single A school other than Blake, Breck or Warroad (there must be some?). Congrats to Orono!
girlshockey4ever

Looks like somebody's games were spot on. :D

*Tonka rolls EP 6-1
*Burnsville and Eastview battle for SSC supremacy 2-2 tie
*Breck beats SSP 4-2 with an empty net goal. Shots dead even.

I think the biggest surprises of the night are NWC beating Wayzata (who many on here were very high on despite losing 10 seniors)
Annnnnnd as pointed out already Holy Family getting a 2-2 tie against a class A team. I understand Orono is a nice team. But if HF want's a seat at the big girls table they need to win these games and then win games against top AA teams.
Other note is Farmington coming back off a bad loss to Prior Lake and pounding Lakeville North 9-3.
j4241

Post by j4241 »

The other box score that caught my eye was Edina Buffalo. 8-0 drubbing - yawn - but shots were 25-24 Edina... :shock:
j4241

Post by j4241 »

Whoops! Now it shows shots as 58-3 Edina. Seems more like it...
jg2112

Post by jg2112 »

j4241 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:12 pm Holy Family and #7 A rated Orono skate to a 2-2 tie, with Orono having a commanding lead in shots on goal. I can’t remember a top 10 AA team ever losing to a single A school other than Blake, Breck or Warroad (there must be some?). Congrats to Orono!
It's a final: Gentry Academy 2 - Holy Family 0.

And to think Gentry is still unranked by the Let's Play Hockey folks.....
girlshockey4ever

"Game of the week"

Gentry Academy 2
Holy Family 0

Tough to tie Class A Orono and then lose to Gentry Academy.
I'll just leave this here and quietly back out of the room. :D
jg2112

Post by jg2112 »

girlshockey4ever wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:19 pm "Game of the week"

Gentry Academy 2
Holy Family 0

Tough to tie Class A Orono and then lose to Gentry Academy.
I'll just leave this here and quietly back out of the room. :D
Twitter says Gentry's JV won 3-0 as well, despite the fact that HF has a transfer 2022 Gopher commit on its JV right now.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

jg2112 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:25 pm Twitter says Gentry's JV won 3-0 as well, despite the fact that HF has a transfer 2022 Gopher commit on its JV right now.
Shows that hockey is a team game after all, and usually the better team wins.
bodyup88

Post by bodyup88 »

Moosepaw - How about a game report from Victoria last night? Looks like the Fire mustered 12 shots on goal. At least they out-penalized Gentry 4-1.
In Randy we trust. Looks like it will take a little longer for the recruits to "gel"
Eagles93

Post by Eagles93 »

Watching a few minutes of the JV game, they have Kaiser on defense. Not sure if that's permanent, but I would still expect her to put up a goal or two in JV games.

https://www.mnhockey.tv/holy-family
moosepaw

Post by moosepaw »

The game was a close game, we hit a couple of pipes and had a few chances that we didn’t finish on. Gentry is just unknown and will be in the state tournament. I wouldn’t this is a bad loss they are a very good team. It’s only game 3 and yes in Randy we still trust.
Last edited by moosepaw on Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

girlshockey4ever wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:12 pm BSM v Blake
Ended in a 2-2 tie. Anyone there who could comment?
j4241

Post by j4241 »

Blake games are all available on nfhs, if anyone is so inclined.

Shots were something like 42-23 bsm, and they out chanced Blake, but the game was relatively balanced after the first. BSM is a good team - 7 D1 commits, a few strong uncommitted juniors (zavoral, hoen and Mortenson, in particular), and good depth, but their forward group does not generate a ton of offense on their own. They had some sustained pressure, and moved the puck around, but the chances their forwards generated were mostly off of defensive miscues. Very structured forecheck - bottled Blake up at times (blake is thin, so particularly when their first line was off the ice). Peschel is terrific. She played a ton, created some nice chances and high danger shots, and I think was on the ice for just about every shift that the Blake sophomore trio were. Those three (Broz Higuchi Morrison) were good and generated consistent pressure, but the story of the game has to be Blakes goalie. Now sporting a 940+ save percentage against three very strong teams, and playing behind a good Blake defense (but one that has coughed up some dangerous turnovers in this early part of the season), Ziehl was terrific, just as she was against Chisago and in the third against Breck. Very promising start to the season for her.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Very thorough analysis, j4241. In recent history it seemed like Blake had the upper hand against Benilde. But maybe the tables have turned somewhat, at least temporarily.
Thoen88

Post by Thoen88 »

Gonna agree completely that the game turned into the Blake goalie show, but disagree slightly on the balance of the game.

BSM controlled the play pretty much the entire day aside from the first 90 seconds of the middle period and the first two minutes of overtime. Other than that, it was the Blake goalie show. Shots ended up 45-21 BSM, but the high-quality chances BSM had made Ziehl's work even more impressive. BSM was able to control the puck as much as it did because it dominated in the circle, winning 39 of 60 draws

Shot attempts in the home-plate area favored BSM 37-15, the Red Knights hit 2 pipes, Ziehl stopped 3 clean breakways and the save she made on Zvoral in the first period on a 1-timer from the slot on a 3-on-1 was as good as save as you'll see this season. Remarkable effort from the sophomore.

FYI, the home-plate area consists of the area if you draw a line from the goalpost, out to the faceoff dot, across to the other faceoff dot and down to the other post.

Was a very entertaining game and the rematch at the Rec on the 6th should be just as entertaining.
j4241 wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:09 pm Blake games are all available on nfhs, if anyone is so inclined.

Shots were something like 42-23 bsm, and they out chanced Blake, but the game was relatively balanced after the first. BSM is a good team - 7 D1 commits, a few strong uncommitted juniors (zavoral, hoen and Mortenson, in particular), and good depth, but their forward group does not generate a ton of offense on their own. They had some sustained pressure, and moved the puck around, but the chances their forwards generated were mostly off of defensive miscues. Very structured forecheck - bottled Blake up at times (blake is thin, so particularly when their first line was off the ice). Peschel is terrific. She played a ton, created some nice chances and high danger shots, and I think was on the ice for just about every shift that the Blake sophomore trio were. Those three (Broz Higuchi Morrison) were good and generated consistent pressure, but the story of the game has to be Blakes goalie. Now sporting a 940+ save percentage against three very strong teams, and playing behind a good Blake defense (but one that has coughed up some dangerous turnovers in this early part of the season), Ziehl was terrific, just as she was against Chisago and in the third against Breck. Very promising start to the season for her.
BSUBeaver

Post by BSUBeaver »

Alexandria and Roseau tied at 1-1 on Saturday in a Section 8AA game.

https://www.echopress.com/sports/hockey ... -8AA-clash
j4241

Post by j4241 »

Fair enough. Whatever our disagreements in assessing the last game, I certainly agree that the follow-up game(s?) will be fun to watch! BSM is a very good team - this has to be their best team in a long time - and will continue to give every opponent this year all they can handle.