Mask recommendations?

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

j4241

Mask recommendations?

Post by j4241 »

Anyone find good mask options for hockey athletes? Anyone know what the hockey East kids are wearing? The hockey ones that attach to the mask seem weird. They are out a bit from your face, so it seems like would badly interfere with peripheral puck vision...
massalsa

Re: Mask recommendations?

Post by massalsa »

My kid vacillates between the old school medical mask and the one that connects in her helmet. Definitely hard at times to see the puck at your feet thru the attached face shield but she sort of got used to it. Bauer also gave the team a bunch of their reversible cloth masks as they are a Bauer school. The entire team had to wear bubbles for the first 2 months of practice (despite them constantly fogging up and having streaks of moisture in them which in her opinion was dangerous).

Her school and HE are both in to enforcement of mask wearing at all times (on and off ice) and they are tested at M/W/F. Its been a grind but for worth it in her mind to be playing.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Just curious, how will non-compliance with the new mask rule be handled? I can see players trying to away with their mask not covering their mouth AND their nose, telling the referee that it "slipped". Will that player get a warning for a first offense, then two minutes? Or a 10 minute misconduct? (team not forced to play a man short). Any special rules for goaltenders?

Again, just curious as I haven't seen how the rule will be enforced, and how strictly.
lakescountrylife

Post by lakescountrylife »

Players can be assessed a bench minor for improper mask wearing.
goaliedad31

Post by goaliedad31 »

can a referee call a penalty that is not part of USA Hockey or MN Hockey rules?
Eagles93

Post by Eagles93 »

lakescountrylife wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:04 am Players can be assessed a bench minor for improper mask wearing.
I haven't heard about HS refs, but MN Hockey referees were specifically instructed to not enforce anything in regards to masks. I'd be surprised if HS is different.