Transfers 20-21

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Eagles93

Re: Transfers 20-21

Post by Eagles93 »

If I can read between the lines, you're looking for respect for HF girls hockey? The only way to earn it is to win. And they haven't done that yet. One playoff win (against Jefferson) in two years of existence (sans co-op). I'm not saying they won't win, you're right, there is a bright future with the up and coming players, and especially if they keep recruiting their way to more wins. I'm not even sure wins will be enough to earn the respect that you crave, however. Comments like "In Randy we trust" and guising another recruit as a Christmas present doesn't exactly create warm and fuzzy feelings that make people root for the little private school from the west side.
moosepaw

Post by moosepaw »

I agree with your last post, we have been with Randy a long tine and trust him. I think most people would agree he is a cutting edge HS coach and our kids do believe in him. Coach is a roll up your sleeves and get to work guy. Hard not to trust and cheer for him. It’s been an exciting couple of months. from what I’m hearing there is going to be more 2022’s coming over. Good luck to everyone this season.
massalsa

Post by massalsa »

I am interested in knowing what a "cutting edge HS coach" does that makes him/her cutting edge? I would not say that recruiting (as in recruiting players to your program) makes you cutting edge (that seems to be the kids and parents job) and could/should get ugly if the coach is involved at all in that.
jg2112

Post by jg2112 »

moosepaw wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:04 pm I agree with your last post, we have been with Randy a long tine and trust him. I think most people would agree he is a cutting edge HS coach and our kids do believe in him. Coach is a roll up your sleeves and get to work guy. Hard not to trust and cheer for him. It’s been an exciting couple of months. from what I’m hearing there is going to be more 2022’s coming over. Good luck to everyone this season.
Uh, being a "roll up your sleeves and get to work guy" is not "cutting edge." Coach Koeppl "recruits" from the summer hockey program his daughter participates in. There's nothing unique about that in girls HS hockey (see: BSM). Further, Minnetonka, Maple Grove, Stillwater, and Andover have all recruited numerous highly rated 2024s this past offseason. Is "recruiting upperclassmen" what is "cutting edge"?

I hope these players, if they're playing this winter, have proof of divorce decrees or certificates of home title to justify their transfers as high school juniors.

What nonsense.
moosepaw

Post by moosepaw »

Randy knows the 2022s better than anybody, that’s the group Coach Koeppel developed. Taylor K was also on that team, she was the only 2023 on Team Minnesota and played first line with Enright. That’s why we have inside advantage on getting more 2022s. They respect Randy and they know he knows how to get his kids to division 1. Right now I think if we get one more 2022 before the start of the season we could be a top 3-4 team in the state. You just don’t see other people work as hard as Randy does and that is why I feel he’s cutting edge.
Eagles93

Post by Eagles93 »

Blatantly violating recruiting rules ≠ working hard.

Are you saying none of the girls on the HF team would go on to play D1 without Randy?
moosepaw wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:57 pm Right now I think if we get one more 2022 before the start of the season...
I hope this is sarcasm?
jg2112

Post by jg2112 »

moosepaw wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:57 pm Randy knows the 2022s better than anybody, that’s the group Coach Koeppel developed. Taylor K was also on that team, she was the only 2023 on Team Minnesota and played first line with Enright. That’s why we have inside advantage on getting more 2022s. They respect Randy and they know he knows how to get his kids to division 1. Right now I think if we get one more 2022 before the start of the season we could be a top 3-4 team in the state. You just don’t see other people work as hard as Randy does and that is why I feel he’s cutting edge.
Point of clarification - Courneia, Hansen, Boerger and Paidosh are all 2023s who were on the 04s. Maybe Goettl as well?

I'm serious. Define "working hard." Having his players skate? All the top players skate. Playing in tourneys? All the top players play tourneys, leagues. Off-ice training? Seriously. All of them are training.

You can claim he has Holy Family operating at a level of year-round player development comparable to the players at Andover, Blaine, BSM, Blake, Breck, Edina, Farmington, Gentry, Tonka, Hill-Murray, Maple Grove, Stillwater, Warroad, and Wayzata. I wholeheartedly concede you that. I also happily concede he has a nice group of players that have a great chance to do things the next 3 years.

To claim they're outworking the coaches and players at other successful high schools is not reasonable.

Are you expecting one more 2022 to move into Victoria?
girlshockey4ever

Post by girlshockey4ever »

jg2112 wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:47 pm
moosepaw wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:57 pm Randy knows the 2022s better than anybody, that’s the group Coach Koeppel developed. Taylor K was also on that team, she was the only 2023 on Team Minnesota and played first line with Enright. That’s why we have inside advantage on getting more 2022s. They respect Randy and they know he knows how to get his kids to division 1. Right now I think if we get one more 2022 before the start of the season we could be a top 3-4 team in the state. You just don’t see other people work as hard as Randy does and that is why I feel he’s cutting edge.
Point of clarification - Courneia, Hansen, Boerger and Paidosh are all 2023s who were on the 04s. Maybe Goettl as well?

I'm serious. Define "working hard." Having his players skate? All the top players skate. Playing in tourneys? All the top players play tourneys, leagues. Off-ice training? Seriously. All of them are training.

You can claim he has Holy Family operating at a level of year-round player development comparable to the players at Andover, Blaine, BSM, Blake, Breck, Edina, Farmington, Gentry, Tonka, Hill-Murray, Maple Grove, Stillwater, Warroad, and Wayzata. I wholeheartedly concede you that. I also happily concede he has a nice group of players that have a great chance to do things the next 3 years.

To claim they're outworking the coaches and players at other successful high schools is not reasonable.

Are you expecting one more 2022 to move into Victoria?
I would also like to know how he works hard. One thing he does do is "recruit". He definitely shows up at Edina, Tonka, etc. 12U/15U games in their buildings and walks around talking to parents to sell the HF program. I would be ticked off if I was those programs. Not saying other programs don't also try and get players in, but a lot of the times it is families of players reaching out to programs or a group of parents that are taking this on. I think he walks a very fine line on the recruiting aspect. Saying others don't work as hard as RK is laughable knowing a lot of the people in these other programs.
moosepaw

Post by moosepaw »

I don’t know if I have ever seen Randy at any of the areas youth girls games, he has never been at my daughters youth games. But I know if someone shows any interest Holy Family he’s willing to take the time to share about his program.