Quarantined training...what are people doing with no rinks open?!?

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

massalsa

Quarantined training...what are people doing with no rinks open?!?

Post by massalsa »

ShakestheClown wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:36 pm Maybe good dryland activities that don't involve needing a net?
Great idea! Lets share some things that your kids are doing during this time at home. Feel free to post links, podcasts, workout plans, shooting programs (I know shakes asked about not needing a net but we can expand this some from his specific question), etc.
jg2112

Re: Quarantined training...what are people doing with no rinks open?!?

Post by jg2112 »

My daughter is running sprints 3 days a week, going on long walks every day, doing body weight workouts, and stretching every day.

She also stickhandles and shoots irregularly (1-2x a week), though she's been playing long enough that she can ramp that up quickly when the training starts again in June/July.

If there's a silver lining to her enforced absence from the rink, she has told me she feels free of nagging soreness and bumps/bruises (hips, shoulders, knees, etc.) for the first time in years.
PhunnsieMcHockeyDad

Post by PhunnsieMcHockeyDad »

Mine stickhandles and shoots just about every day, varies the running/stretching/laying on the ground pretending to workout while she watches tik-toks, and routinely ignores the hockey videos her Dad forwards to her.

Agree that the break has been good for her to recover too but she's going nuts being away from the rink (and - more importantly - her girls).

Hope we see the inside of a rink soon.
massalsa

Post by massalsa »

We bought some products from SnipersEdge about 5 years ago. We bought a tarp, tiles, and the passmaster along with 100 pucks and set up in the basement. https://www.snipersedgehockey.com/ The passmaster is the least valuable of the 4 items but has been used some over the years. In order buy the tarp, then enough tiles to stickhandle and shoot (probably 3 boxes at a minimum...6'x10'). I think that we did 6 boxes combined with the other stuff to get some discount %.

My kid had summer goals of 10,000 shots over 3 months. 200 shots x 5 days/week x 10 weeks = 10,000 shots. 12 minutes of stick handling each of those days = 1 hour of stick handling each week.

She maybe shoots 200 pucks a week now with 10 minutes of stick handling during quarantine.

What she has been doing now is 2 workouts 4x/week. One workout is cardio related (run/walk/bike) and the other is strength training (generally body weight exercises). The workouts she did the first couple of weeks were courtesy of screenshots from a friend who plays in college. All bodyweight and were distributed to her team from the strength coach that works them out all year long. I believe that there are some Crossfit gyms out there that are posting body weight workouts on their facebook pages as another option.

She heard from her college team's strength coach today. It looks like more body weight workouts with bands and some other old school tools like milk gallons filled with sand etc. She is excited!

She has commented several times over the last couple of weeks how much she misses skating and training on ice with friends...
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

I don't understand why all rinks are shut down. Dedicated players like those referenced here could certainly find ways to work on their skating while following appropriate social distancing. Just no crowded locker rooms, no standing in line right next to one another waiting for your turn in the drill, and most of all a limited number of players on the ice at any one time.
jg2112

Post by jg2112 »

MNHockeyFan wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:14 am I don't understand why all rinks are shut down. Dedicated players like those referenced here could certainly find ways to work on their skating while following appropriate social distancing. Just no crowded locker rooms, no standing in line right next to one another waiting for your turn in the drill, and most of all a limited number of players on the ice at any one time.
My guess is that it was initially due to a lack of knowledge about the spread of the virus, and a desire to stop people from moving in general. I've read a study this week that the virus stays in the air about 20 feet behind somebody out for a jog. Who knows the potential range of the virus in an ice rink?

With that in mind I suspect rinks will open in May to let these cities and the clubs avoid fiscal meltdown. It'd also be nice to let these skaters do .... something, since school has been cancelled. My daughter's club has 12-15 ice times on her May schedule. My questions as to spacing / development are similar to yours, as her JWC skating group is about 20-30 girls.

One good thing is that a majority of the girls can drive to the rink. That cuts the number of people in half and allows the girls to better spread out. I feel for the rink workers, who will or should have to clean each locker room after each use. They deserve hazard pay, especially if they have to listen to the girls' music while doing it.
zambonidriver

Post by zambonidriver »

Map and Mega are putting out daily workouts on their instagram accountsthey are free.
https://www.instagram.com/map.hockey/
massalsa

Post by massalsa »

Lifetime Fitness has some pretty awesome FREE virtual classes...from strength to yoga...most hockey players I know (like my kid) would benefit by being more flexible...the yoga could be a great add on to other options 2x/week.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8SeJt ... chuL_MWDGg
massalsa

Post by massalsa »

Heard from a friend that his daughter (and her summer squad) skated last week at Dakotah Ice Arena. They had some rules set up about entering/leaving the arena (zero loitering and home dressing) and no parents were allowed in. A very socially distant/aware practice of mostly individual skills work was what he said. Lucky kid!
jg2112

Post by jg2112 »

massalsa wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 1:59 pm Heard from a friend that his daughter (and her summer squad) skated last week at Dakotah Ice Arena. They had some rules set up about entering/leaving the arena (zero loitering and home dressing) and no parents were allowed in. A very socially distant/aware practice of mostly individual skills work was what he said. Lucky kid!
I disagree. It's reckless. We don't need people unnecessarily traveling right now. Data indicates Minnesota has some exploding COVID clusters right now, Hennepin County in particular is one of the biggest "gainers" in the nation the past 5 days. And kids are asymptomatic spreaders of this disease.

There's nothing these kids are missing by training at home as opposed to on the ice. Heck, the stay at home might be extended to 6/12 tonight. If that's the case, there's not going to be any O/S showcases in Minnesota until July. Not only that, but it now appears the NCAA might extend the recruiting dead period until 7/31. In that case, no showcases at all this year, no reason to sneak ice time.

The fate of next winter's hockey season depends on what we all do right now, since testing and tracing don't seem to be in our future. This kind of stuff seems selfish and should not be happening.
PhunnsieMcHockeyDad

Post by PhunnsieMcHockeyDad »

With you on this one. Reports from Dakotah are ok. Older kids showing up early and mingling, huge face-to-face time during transitions from one group to the next, and (least surprisingly) parents sneaking in to watch when the rules are clear.

Winny has pushed Prospects/Futures back to July and August, and there will be plenty of ice for the kids once the rinks open. HS Camps, Os Summer Camp, Spring League makeup games, Os Springfest, Os Shootout, Tier 1 (MN Hockey still hoping to run that program), Os Fall League, Captain's practices, and more.

The smart kids are working out every day to make sure they're (kind of) ready when the rinks open...and those are the kids coaches want in their program. The kids that are laying around with their faces buried in phones don't have the drive to go to the next level anyway...if simply relying on ice time to get better is their plan....then post HS hockey isn't in their future. In a sad way this is a great opportunity for some of them to decide how much it means.

Also - Even if the Gov gives the green light for June 1 not every rink is going to open. Many rinks will likely stay closed until July 1....they just aren't interested in taking on the risk and potential liability until they have a better read on the landscape.

My daughter loves Summer Hockey, and I do too BUT I agree that the HS/Association season should be the goal. Let's do the right things to get there.