USA!!!

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

massalsa

USA!!!

Post by massalsa »

Congrats to all the MN girls that played for the U18 team!

What a Gold Medal game with Canada! 2-1 in OT with Minnetonka's own Maggie Nicholson with the game ending steal of the puck on her blue line, skating it up, and the perfect dish to Zanon (not from MN) to finish the game! Love that OT was 3v3 vs grind it out 5-5 and then a shootout.

Way to go girls!!!
massalsa

Re: USA!!!

Post by massalsa »

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

I watched a lot of the tourney and was surprised at the relative lack of ice time that the coaches gave to Peyton Hemp. She was primarily used as a penalty killer, otherwise on the 4th line which didn't always get a regular shift? Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's the way it looked to me watching the stream. If I'm right, it would seem to me that she was vastly underutilized.
bodyup88

Post by bodyup88 »

I agree. I saw the third period and the 16 plus minutes of overtime. I saw 15 (Hemp) out there a few shifts in the third but none in OT. Also didn't see Golnitz and Fuhrman much in the third and none in OT.
massalsa

Post by massalsa »

This seems like a pretty good article explaining some things about that specific game and how even he had some thoughts on roster construction and also decisions that are made from college coaches (3 UMD commits this year...not saying they are not great players but feels like more UMD than usual...where is the head coach from?). Article talks about rolling most lines 5v5 until the game was tied in the 3rd and how that may have made a difference in the outcome at the end. The staff absolutely went with their big horses late in the 3rd (2 penalties to kill in last 4 minutes) and then OT. Kids that did not play when it was all on the line aint their big horses...

https://www.sbncollegehockey.com/womens ... ver-canada

While I think that Hemp is a REALLY great player and the top player on an incredibly talented and deep team she was not in that top echelon of players in the USA U18 group. For my money I think that Webster and Murphy are the top 2 players/forwards that are 2020's and 2002's. Line construction is unique and does not always mean the top 6 players are on the top 2 lines. Sometimes coaches want depth 3 or 4 lines deep and other times they put scorers with playmakers or better back checkers/defenders with players who dont do that as well.

There were only 5 - 2003's and 2 - 2004's on this team. It was way less balanced age wise then past rosters if my memory is correct. In fact it looked more like a Canadian roster that is usually very heavy in older girls.