Brainerd coming to town

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

j4241

Brainerd coming to town

Post by j4241 »

Brainerd has parlayed an unexpected phenomenal run last year, while missing a top player to injury, into a high ranking and expectations for this year. They come to town this weekend to play the Langseth-driven EP, followed by Blake. Will the hope of high expectations run smack into the reality of strong metro hockey? Or does Brainerd pound their way through perennial metro powers?

My predictions:
Brainerd 3, EP 3
Brainerd 3, Blake 6

Thoughts?
LZ94

Re: Brainerd coming to town

Post by LZ94 »

Brainerd lost some very important seniors. 5, 20, the goalie.

They Also lost a couple nice support players.

Have these losses been covered? Or are returning stars enough to not miss those important pieces.

I'm interested to see how they do. I'd say Blake will be a lot for them to handle. But, people thought the same about Edina in final last season.
zooomx

Post by zooomx »

Brainerd should still be very solid this year, as they were very deep last year. My expectations are another state tourney appearance. Not sure if they can go as deep as last year. I do think Alexandria will give them a good run in sections, as they are deeper than they have ever been.
LZ94

Post by LZ94 »

The girls hockey breakdown magazine had 8AA:

1. Roseau
2. Brainerd
3. Alexandria
4. St. Cloud
5. Buffalo

They stop there.

I'm not sure where they get their info.
j4241

Post by j4241 »

Anyone at the EP game last night? The box score shows 3 penalties called with 30 seconds left in the game, two of them roughing, all on Brainerd. OT goal listed as a power play goal. Were the refs responsible for ruining my 3-3 tie prediction?
nu2hockey

Post by nu2hockey »

j4241 wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:18 am Anyone at the EP game last night? The box score shows 3 penalties called with 30 seconds left in the game, two of them roughing, all on Brainerd. OT goal listed as a power play goal. Were the refs responsible for ruining my 3-3 tie prediction?

With 18 penalties combined, including a 5 min major for boarding....jeez!....can't see how it would be refs fault...
j4241

Post by j4241 »

Well that didn’t quite go the way Blake probably expected. Clearly battling fatigue from last night, made worse by having to kill off some undisciplined penalties, they were out skated by Brainerd who played disciplined defensively and capitalized on their chances. Hub had the shots wrong - was 29-22 Blake - but a game Brainerd deserved to win. A few late goals made it seem less close than it was, but Brainerd is a good hockey team. Blake has work to do.