2018-19 Season

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

bodyup88

Re: 2018-19 Season

Post by bodyup88 »

One would think Forest Lake would move up the rankings next week, the question is how far. Rangers coming off two shutout wins over WBL and Andover (When was the last time Andover was shut out?) and the last team unbeaten in AA at 9-0. However, overall schedule to date is not as challenging as some of the other teams with the only other real quality win coming in the first game over Minnetonka.
The goal tending dynamics look interesting in FL. Bothun jumps to the boys' side this year and is suddenly looking mortal - she gave up 9 last night to Cretin and 18 total in 3 starts. Meanwhile her "backup", Goehner is playing stellar and shuts out WBL and Andover back to back. BTW, it was Goehner and not Bothun who was a goalie on Forest Lake's 2015 12A state championship team (Goehner and Abbie Thompson alternated games that season)
massalsa

Post by massalsa »

bodyup88 wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:56 am One would think Forest Lake would move up the rankings next week, the question is how far. Rangers coming off two shutout wins over WBL and Andover (When was the last time Andover was shut out?) and the last team unbeaten in AA at 9-0. However, overall schedule to date is not as challenging as some of the other teams with the only other real quality win coming in the first game over Minnetonka.
The goal tending dynamics look interesting in FL. Bothun jumps to the boys' side this year and is suddenly looking mortal - she gave up 9 last night to Cretin and 18 total in 3 starts. Meanwhile her "backup", Goehner is playing stellar and shuts out WBL and Andover back to back. BTW, it was Goehner and not Bothun who was a goalie on Forest Lake's 2015 12A state championship team (Goehner and Abbie Thompson alternated games that season)
Comparing the boys to the girls offensively is nearly impossible. There might be 5 girls in the state that can shoot the puck as hard and quickly as the top F line or D pairing at their respective school. The boys game is so fast and the battles in front of the net along with bigger bodies screening the goalie is different for sure.

FLAKE is having a great season so far and very excited for Goehner and their team as a whole. They appear to be even better than last year despite losing their #1 tender from last season jumping to the boys side. To shut out Andover but give up 3 to Moundsview and Stillwater does not compute in my mind but stellar D play and home ice (last line change) can neutralize a team that leans extremely heavily on 1 line of Forwards. I will believe it when I see them play and beat Edina at Braemar next Tuesday. They should be ahead of Andover but it is yet to be determined in my mind if they are better than Edina/Blake/Wayzata. We will know a lot more late next Tuesday.

How about the # of shots Pahl at Mayo is taking game after game...averaging in the 46 shots a game.
ghshockeyfan

Post by ghshockeyfan »

bodyup88 wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:56 am One would think Forest Lake would move up the rankings next week, the question is how far. Rangers coming off two shutout wins over WBL and Andover (When was the last time Andover was shut out?) and the last team unbeaten in AA at 9-0. However, overall schedule to date is not as challenging as some of the other teams with the only other real quality win coming in the first game over Minnetonka.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Huge non-conference matchup this evening as KRACH #1 Forest Lake travels to Braemar Arena to take on Let's Play Hockey #1 Edina. It appears the game will be streamed live on MNHockey.TV - should be exciting!

Who do you like? I'll go with Edina at home, 3-1.
massalsa

Post by massalsa »

Great matchup and am interested to see/hear how FLAKE's D and tending do against the Hornets as a whole.

3-1 is a great prediction MNFan. I think Edina wins by more than 3 or more.
hockeychopper

Post by hockeychopper »

I think this will be a great game as well. I'll take Forest Lake in a mild upset 4-2 with an empty netter. All in all should be a great test for both teams.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

hockeychopper wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:57 pm I think this will be a great game as well. I'll take Forest Lake in a mild upset 4-2 with an empty netter. All in all should be a great test for both teams.
Looks like we're both way off on our predictions, chopper, as the Hornets are running away in this one. They are up 6-0 just a little into the 2nd period. The Forest Lake goaltender is having a rough night, but she's not getting much help from the players in front of her.
massalsa

Post by massalsa »

Yikes! 4-0 after 1st period.

Now 6-0 five minutes in to the 2nd.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

massalsa wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:58 pm Yikes! 4-0 after 1st period.

And 7-0 after two. Didn't see that coming.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

MNHockeyFan wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:08 pm
massalsa wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:58 pm Yikes! 4-0 after 1st period.

And 7-0 after two. Didn't see that coming.
And it's a 7-0 final. At least for the time being, Edina is clearly the No. 1 team in the State.
massalsa

Post by massalsa »

Sometime the stats are not correct...anyone know if the first period shots for FLAKE were correct at 15? I watched the game online and missed the first period. Just backed up the feed to the goals and then fast forwarded to the start of the 2nd period. If they outshot Edina that is even more remarkable that they lost 7-0. One thing that Edina does really well is create scoring opportunities and then finishes them. They often score in bunches and then coast to victory continuing to score a few goals the rest of the way.

Any feedback from others that were at the game or watched it online?

Thinking back to the Andover/FLAKE result at Forest Lake the home ice had to have been a factor in that game. I would guess that FLAKE put their best line of D and defensive Forwards against the vaunted Hemp/Nelson/Krause(?) line on stoppages in play and then shut them down. Also guessing that Edina just rolled their lines and did damage. Edina has to be the deepest team in the state (again). It is unbelievable how many elite girls hockey players have played at least 1 year in Edina as a youth player over the years.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

I watched the first two periods online, and although I didn't count them I do think the 15 shot total for FLAKE in the first is accurate. But that's almost entirely due to them being on the power play four times; otherwise Edina had the edge in play - and obviously in goals. On those four power plays the Rangers moved the puck around the perimeter well enough but at times was over-anxious, taking some ill-advised shots from far out. The Hornets did a great job of clearing pucks and not giving up rebounds or otherwise prime scoring chances from close in. Meanwhile at the other end Edina seemed to capitalize on every opportunity - and defensive breakdown - that Forest Lake gave them.

Based on their 1-0 victory over Andover I thought FLAKE would give the Hornets a much better game, but on that particular night it wasn't meant to be.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Great matchup being streamed tonight as No. 6 ranked Maple Grove hosts No. 7 Eden Prairie at 7:00pm.
http://www.prepspotlight.tv/MSHSL

Also the Edina/Centennial game (also at 7:00pm) is being streamed at https://www.mnhockey.tv/
massalsa

Post by massalsa »

Cougar loses by 3 and Leafy wins by 2.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

massalsa wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:58 pm Cougar loses by 3 and Leafy wins by 2.
Edina 2, Centennial 0 (final)
Eden Prairie scores on the power play with a little over a minute to go to tie it at 2-2. Headed to overtime.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

EP's Sydney Langseth scores on an end-to-end solo rush with time running out in the overtime to win it 3-2. Great game between two very evenly matched teams.
Lace'emUp

Post by Lace'emUp »

MNHockeyFan wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:04 pm
massalsa wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:58 pm Cougar loses by 3 and Leafy wins by 2.
Edina 2, Centennial 0 (final)
Eden Prairie scores on the power play with a little over a minute to go to tie it at 2-2. Headed to overtime.
Though the Hornets had several more scoring opportunities than Centennial, I give the younger Cougars credit for hanging in there. At times they did a good job of cutting off the Hornets passing lanes and centering feeds. Other times the Cougars got lucky when the Hornets couldn't connect. It was 1-0 until the EN with 1 second to go in the game. It was nice to see the refs let them play, they were a non-factor. Also nice to see both teams roll all 3 lines the entire game. Both goalies played great, particularly Stoterau who stood on her head. A 2nd puck did get past her but the pipe saved the day. Hockey is a funny game for sure - one night Edina rips 4th or 5th ranked FLake, then two night later they cannot find the net against an unranked team. Good game. Don't get me wrong, the Hornets were the better team. The Cougars will get better from it.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Lace'emUp wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:12 pm Hockey is a funny game for sure - one night Edina rips 4th or 5th ranked FLake, then two night later they cannot find the net against an unranked team. Good game. Don't get me wrong, the Hornets were the better team. The Cougars will get better from it.
I was wondering if Edina might have somewhat of a letdown, with this game coming right after their huge (and easy) win over the then unbeaten Rangers.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Flake tops White Bear Lake in the opening game of the Mid-Winder Border Battle at Fogerty. Score was tied at 1-1 going into the 3rd, but the Rangers broke through in the final frame, scoring twice against Calla Frank who ended up making 37 saves.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

HUGE upset at Braemar as Edina falls to Breck. Final score was 4-2 Mustangs with an empty-netter with just over a minute left.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Holiday Tournament scores and remaining winners bracket schedules have been updated in the Holiday Tournaments thread.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Congratulations to the Brainerd/Little Falls Warriors and the Blake Bears on winning their respective tournaments this evening. See the Holiday Tournament thread for the latest update on all the scores and remaining winners bracket schedules.
bodyup88

Post by bodyup88 »

A couple of huge rematches tonight. Brainerd/LF hosts Roseau in an 8AA tussle. The Warriors beat them at the Ram Center in mid December 4-2. B/LF is riding a ten game win streak, including the title in the Edina Christmas tourney. Their last loss was at Warroad the day after they beat Roseau.
Obviously, the other rematch is Blake and Edina. Will the Bears exact revenge after the tough loss to the Hornets earlier this season?