Class A State Tournament - Seeding and Quarterfinals

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

MNHockeyFan

Class A State Tournament - Seeding and Quarterfinals

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Thoughts on which teams will be seeded and where? I don't think there's much debate on who will be No. 1, but how about Nos. 2-5?

1A: Northfield
2A: New Prague
3A: Luverne
4A: St. Paul United
5A: Blake
6A: Alexandria
7A: Proctor/Hermantown
8A: Warroad

Based on both the most recent (1/31) KRACH and (2/10) LPH the seeds would be:
1. Blake
2. Warroad
3. St. Paul United
4. Proctor/Hermantown
5. New Prague

If that order were to hold true, here would be your Quarterfinal matchups on Wednesday the 17th:

11:00am: Northfield, Luverne or Alexandria (random draw) vs. #2 Warroad
1:00pm: Northfield, Luverne or Alexandria vs. #3 St. Paul United
6:00pm: Northfield, Luverne or Alexandria vs. #1 Blake
8:00pm: #5 New Prague vs. #4 Proctor/Hermantown

http://mshsl.org/mshsl/showXMLbrackets. ... acket=7068
cjmhockey19

Post by cjmhockey19 »

If it doesnt end up going down this way ill be shocked
allhoc11

Post by allhoc11 »

I agree A seems fairly clear cut, Good luck to all teams!
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

Poor Luverne. First state tournament ever and they get Blake in the first round...
itsfoilcoach

Post by itsfoilcoach »

Sparlimb wrote:Poor Luverne. First state tournament ever and they get Blake in the first round...
Barn burner here. I'm sure they will create a lot good memories on this draw....yea right. Well some nervouse ticks will form for their goalie for sure.

SPU and Alex will be an edge of your seat game as well.

I'm driving down from International Falls to see these games. Hope they all are competitive like opening day.
Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey »

itsfoilcoach wrote:
Sparlimb wrote:Poor Luverne. First state tournament ever and they get Blake in the first round...
Barn burner here. I'm sure they will create a lot good memories on this draw....yea right. Well some nervouse ticks will form for their goalie for sure.

I'm driving down from International Falls to see these games. Hope they all are competitive like opening day.
Dude c'mon. You think if the 2nd or 3rd place non-private section teams came instead it would make all the difference? And give the 6-8 teams some credit. They worked pretty damn hard to get there for you to just write them off.

Traditionally weaker sections, temporary powerhouses, it's all up for grabs. In both classes.

Oh, and would IF be in it if B and B were AA? Who did you lose to?

Come to support the girls game. Cheer for the kids you know and play against. Maybe they will do the same for your team in the future?

Or grab a beer with great one and grumble about all the 7th graders he has to play.
itsfoilcoach

Post by itsfoilcoach »

Nevertoomuchhockey wrote:
itsfoilcoach wrote:

Dude c'mon. You think if the 2nd or 3rd place non-private section teams came instead it would make all the difference? And give the 6-8 teams some credit. They worked pretty damn hard to get there for you to just write them off.

Traditionally weaker sections, temporary powerhouses, it's all up for grabs. In both classes.

Oh, and would IF be in it if B and B were AA? Who did you lose to?

Come to support the girls game. Cheer for the kids you know and play against. Maybe they will do the same for your team in the future?

Or grab a beer with great one and grumble about all the 7th graders he has to play.
This made me laugh pretty good. Seriously it was a funny post. Beer does sounds good by the way. All teams here deserve to have a good game, hence the post. They work hard to get here, then draw a Blake. The issue is you think this ok, I think it ruins the game. I like the boxing example in a earlier post. You wouldn't put a champion heavy weight boxer against a champion light weight boxer would you? Both great athletes, but it's over in the first round. They both need the proper match to excell in the sport, as well as getting outside interest to join, and grow the sport.. (Refer to the decline in hockey post)The fans will enjoy the match, spend money to see it, and get more athletes involved. So no one is taking anything away from these champions. The concern is how we keep the interest up in a sport that has somewhat gone stagnate in the growth arena. I will be there watching and cheering for all these kids, as I do every year during this fun time of year. Beer stays home though. You don't throw the baby out with the bath water. I did send a leter to MSHSL by the way. I was inquiring about how they look at these issues, as well as managing these "teams" in the future. Doubt I'll hear much back from them anytime soon.
Nevertoomuchhockey

Ok so humor us. Take out the all privates and show which publics you would predict win every section (both classes) and show us the tourney brackets. My point is that you will never achieve parity among 8 sections. No matter where you put the Davids and Goliaths.
itsfoilcoach

Post by itsfoilcoach »

Nevertoomuchhockey wrote:Ok so humor us. Take out the all privates and show which publics you would predict win every section (both classes) and show us the tourney brackets. My point is that you will never achieve parity among 8 sections. No matter where you put the Davids and Goliaths.
That's an interesting scenario. I'll leave that analysis up to thegreatone99. I can tell you like his numbers when he gets going. Maybe he can pull the last highest placed public school in a few sections playoffs, and run brackets for a state scenario. To much work and analysis for this guy. Warroad (this years TRF) could spoil all this however and make a miracle on ice run.
Nevertoomuchhockey

That was great. :lol:

But tell me honestly, if Warroad was at 1 instead of 2, do you like #8s chances any better?
And both Warroad and Hermantown have been discussed on these boards as less than homegrown.

No easy answers.
I'm pulling for Forest Lake :wink:
warriors41

Post by warriors41 »

Nevertoomuchhockey wrote:That was great. :lol:

But tell me honestly, if Warroad was at 1 instead of 2, do you like #8s chances any better?
And both Warroad and Hermantown have been discussed on these boards as less than homegrown.

No easy answers.
I'm pulling for Forest Lake :wink:
Whoa whoa whoa, everything Warroad does is above board :lol:

Don't drag us into the privates conversation.

To be fair though, I tend to agree with NTMH. In class A, it doesnt matter boys or girls, the first day is a blood bath with the top seeds scoring at will. Its ridiculous to use Wednesday as a measuring stick. Even after that, there are usually only 2, maybe 3 teams with a real.chance to win it all. That's not an indictment of the girls.game, but class A in general. And the notion that all privates should move only made it worse. We could have had 2 great tournaments but people looked down upon class A and called it the JV tournament, called it meaningless and took away any value from it. Those same people say its joke today; you made it this way.