concussions

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

greybeard58

American Academy of Pediatrics' clinical report

Post by greybeard58 »

American Academy of Pediatrics' clinical report

"Girls’ ice hockey data specific to high school are limited, but in college-aged female ice hockey players, the concussion rate is higher than in male ice hockey players and is similar to football rates.”

…"Hockey helmets have been shown to reduce the impact force from elbow collisions and low-velocity puck impacts but not from shoulder collisions, falls, or high-velocity puck impacts.”

..."The AAP has addressed the benefits of reducing concussion risk by eliminating body checking in youth hockey.”

Sport-Related Concussion in Children and Adolescents
Read clinical report: http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/c ... .2018-3074
greybeard58

'We have a concussion problem' in Canada: Ken Dryden

Post by greybeard58 »

'We have a concussion problem' in Canada: Ken Dryden
JOHN KRYK Updated: November 20, 2018

Big bad Soviets? Broadstreet Bullies? Boston Bruins?

Throughout the 1970s Ken Dryden famously protected Team Canada and Montreal Canadiens nets from those imposing threats.

Now he’s on a mission to fight a far more serious threat – on behalf of young Canadian athletes in all sports, at all levels.

That is, concussions.

The Hockey Hall of Fame goaltender and former Liberal cabinet minister on Wednesday will tell a parliamentary subcommittee studying sports-related concussions in Canada that the problem is no longer awareness.

Rather, per a copy of his planned remarks obtained by Postmedia, Dryden will tell the subcommittee that there “is plenty of awareness. The problem is sports decision-makers who don’t take this awareness, and act.

“We have a problem … A knee that limps is one thing. A brain that limps is another.”

The House of Commons Standing Committee on Health formed this non-partisan working group last month, for the purpose of developing recommendations on how to make sports safer to better protect Canadian youths from mild traumatic brain injuries.

Some 210,000 concussions are reported in Canada annually, according to the subcommittee.

Wednesday kicks off witness hearings involving representatives of all stakeholders – from amateur and professional athletes, to families, national sports organizations, coaching groups, researchers and key members of the medical community.

A noted author, sports historian and lawyer as well, Dryden will further tell the subcommittee that sport leaders going back to the 1800s have fought seminal changes to the way their game is played.

“Imagine today a hockey game with a lacrosse ball, no substitutions and no forward passing. You’d have to imagine it because nobody would want to play it or watch it.

“All sports change, and they keep changing, and hockey is far better than it ever was, played by far more skillful players, just as other sports are. But now hockey is also more dangerous, just as some of our other sports are, and that’s why we’re here.

“How can we help our sports to change again, to matter as much as they always have, to make them better still, AND less dangerous?”

Dryden will say it’s important, first, that parliamentarians understand that science does not have all the answers right now regarding concussions and possibly linked brain diseases.

And that’s OK, because science is “not about knowing once and forever. Science is about knowing the best we can know at any particular moment. The world is flat until it isn’t. Smoking is no big deal until it is.”

Dryden will say it’s crucial that Canadians understand that scientists ultimately do not make sports’ concussion safety rules.

“Sports decision-makers do … You as decision-makers in your sport have the authority over your game. You have the rules and regulations of your game, and the way we play it, in YOUR hands.

“What are you doing about your game to make it just as exciting to play and to watch, and to make it safer? This is your job. Your responsibility.”

The subcommittee intends to table its report on findings and recommendations by June.

In March, Ontario became the first province to pass concussion safety legislation aimed at protecting amateur athletes and educating coaches and youth sport leaders regarding safest practices pertaining to prevention, treatment and return to play.

JoKryk@postmedia.com

@JohnKryk

https://ottawacitizen.com/sports/hockey ... ab0eff131a
greybeard58

High school team beset by injuries

Post by greybeard58 »

High school team beset by injuries

HAYWARD-ASHLAND HURRICANES

Coach: Tom Duffy, first season

2017-18 record: 13-13

Conference: Lake Superior

Section: Wisconsin Sectional 1

Key departures: F Sarah Pearson (14-7—21), D Sam Stegmann (1-4—5)

Key returners: Jr. D Lauren Donnellan (14-16—30); sr. D Rikki Saletri (3-5—8); sr. F Reone Martin (7-6—13); jr. F Jerzy Petit (6-6—12); jr G Emma Quinby (2.48 GAA, .917 save percentage)

Outlook: Duffy, who started as the Hurricanes’ goalie coach in 2013, takes over the helm. The team is beset by injuries to start the season, with Martin and Quinby recovering from offseason hip surgeries. Saletri, a captain, is recovering from a broken bone in her leg and Petit from an early season concussion. The injuries will allow players from the junior varsity to get some early ice time, and when healthy, Duffy expects the Hurricanes to be very competitive.

Prep girls hockey: Team capsules
https://www.duluthnewstribune.com/sport ... m-capsules
greybeard58

Ottawa concussion study

Post by greybeard58 »

Study suggests adolescent girls are slower to recover from concussions than boys the same age — or younger girls.

A new study by Ottawa researchers suggests adolescent girls are slower to recover from concussions than boys the same age — or younger girls.

In a large, national study conducted by investigators at CHEO Research Institute and the University of Ottawa, more than half of adolescent girls (ages 13 to 18) were still experiencing post-concussion symptoms 12 weeks after their initial injury.

By comparison, more than half of all adolescent boys were free of symptoms after four weeks.

“It’s important to start figuring out what’s causing these differences between male and female adolescents, because this is a really significant,” said Dr. Andrée-Anne Ledoux, a lead author of the research paper published recently by the peer-reviewed medical journal JAMA Pediatrics.

Ottawa concussion study shows adolescent girls slower to recover than boys
Read more: https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-ne ... -than-boys
greybeard58

Hockey coach suffers traumatic brain injury

Post by greybeard58 »

Hockey coach suffers traumatic brain injury after simple fall during practice

By: Rob Olson
POSTED: DEC 06 2018 05:16PM CST

VIDEO POSTED: DEC 06 2018 07:44PM CST

UPDATED: DEC 06 2018 08:57PM CST

ST. MICHAEL, Minn. (FOX 9) - A local hockey coach is in the hospital tonight with a brain injury after a fall at practice and it doesn’t look like he’ll be going home any time soon.

His family is now putting out a reminder for everyone to stay safe on the ice.

Tony Christiansen has known and coached with Harv Graczyk for about 15 years. So when he heard his friend suffered a traumatic brain injury after a simple fall during practice, it shocked him. Seasoned skaters take simple falls all the time, Christiansen says.

“Easily, if you’re doing a demonstration or you’re skating around, you can catch an edge, hit one of the gouges and boom, down you go,” Christiansen said.

The night of Nov. 26, the 67-year-old Graczyk was finishing up a peewee practice when he caught a groove and dropped backwards. He split his head open on the ice and wasn’t moving.

“It’s just that it happens that quickly,” said Blake Graczyk, Harv's son. “You don’t think of it happening to you and when it does, it can be catastrophic like it is in this case. It happens in a blink of an eye.”

A GoFundMe campaign for his family has been started because it’s unknown how long his recovery will last and how much lost wages it’ll mean for him and his wife.

Graczyk was in the ICU for a week and he’ll be hospitalized for an unknown amount of time and will need at least a month in a rehab facility after that.

12 years ago, U.S.A. Hockey made it mandatory that coaches wear helmets. This year, they upped the penalty to a mandatory 30-day suspension.

Graczyk, like so many coaches, follows that rule but doesn’t snap his chin strap. When he fell, his helmet fell off on the way to the ice.

“It’s very common to just throw the bucket on and go out and there’s no strap,” said Blake Graczyk.

What his friends and family urge now is, when you’re on the ice, wearing a helmet doesn’t help if it’s not going to stay on.

“It just shows you how important it is to have your helmet secured, because if it were, he probably still would have had a concussion, but it wouldn’t have been anywhere near this level,” Blake Graczyk said.

Hockey coach suffers traumatic brain injury after simple fall during practice
http://www.fox9.com/news/hockey-coach-s ... g-practice
greybeard58

Goalie Kassidy Sauvé Concussion

Post by greybeard58 »

Goalie Kassidy Sauvé Concussion

Clarkson @ Yale: KRACH: 0.967; actual: Yale 5-1. Good job KRACH NO WAIT OMG OMG OMG. Clarkson’s goalie Kassidy Sauvé (Clarkson, $51.2, 13.25 SP, 0 WP, 11 picks) is apparently out with a concussion and backup Marie-Pier Colombe didn’t get her team charged up (it’s a pun!) but this result is still inexplicable, probably the biggest upset since Vermont beat Minnesota last January or maybe even since Vermont beat defending and future champions Clarkson (yes!) last November. I have been unable to track down the coach’s comments and I assume that’s because he wants it that way.

NCAA Fantasy Hockey Week 8: Post Weekend Standings
https://www.theicegarden.com/2018/11/20 ... die-rooney
greybeard58

Re: concussions

Post by greybeard58 »

Alex Missel out for season

The team returns a good group of players on defense. They will be without Alex Missel, who is out for the season with a concussion. But there is a deep group behind her. Lancaster senior Emily Hoeflich is a first-year player who has impressed early. Beyond her is a group of returners in Lancaster senior Jill Blas, Iroquois senior Anna Pitz, Lancaster senior Jeanette Szefler, Depew eighth-grader Cassie Borowski and Lancaster sophomore Brooklyn Warren.

LID girls hockey team features young, but experienced squad
Read more: https://www.lancasterbee.com/articles/l ... ced-squad/
greybeard58

Like a hit to the head - Albert Lea Tribune

Post by greybeard58 »

You will have to use the link to read the article part 1 of 3

Like a hit to the head - Albert Lea Tribune | Albert Lea Tribune

https://m.albertleatribune.com/2018/12/ ... -the-head/
greybeard58

Crookston Pirate Kenze Epema

Post by greybeard58 »

Crookston Pirate Kenze Epema

Prairie Centre L 4-3 (OT)

If not for Prairie Centre forward Kylee Hopp, who scored all four goals, the Pirates might have escaped with a win. Crookston saw goals from Jocelyn Brekken (Fr. F), Tiedemann and Aleah Bienek (Fr. F), but could not hold on to a late 3-2 lead and eventually fell in overtime by a score of 4-3.

The Pirates took a hit when they lost Kenze Epema (So. F) to a concussion in the third period. Epema recorded two assists before leaving the game.

Koshney started in the net and stoped 27 shots.

Girls’ Hockey: Pirates split pair of weekend games
Read more: http://www.crookstontimes.com/sports/20 ... kend-games
greybeard58

Another concussion keeps Bemidji's Marryn Wilberg out of lineup

Post by greybeard58 »

Another concussion keeps Bemidji's Marryn Wilberg out of lineup

Early in the second period, though, TRF (8-2) sophomore Shelby Breiland took off for a pair of unassisted goals in a span of a minute, sniping the top right corner on her first tally and going end-to-end for the second and somehow getting a shot through Delap.

“I had thoughts of maybe shadowing Shelby because she got two goals against us last time, too,” Johnson said. “But then with Marryn (Wilberg) out of the lineup from another concussion, we didn’t really have the personnel to be able to pull that off. She’s a good player. She gets that head up, picks a spot and there’s not much anyone can do, the goaltender included.”

GIRLS HOCKEY: New scorers keep Bemidji close against TRF
Read more: https://www.bemidjipioneer.com/sports/h ... gainst-trf
greybeard58

Albert Lea Tribune part 2

Post by greybeard58 »

Alden-Conger basketball player shares story of her concussion - Albert Lea Tribune | Albert Lea Tribune

https://m.albertleatribune.com/2018/12/ ... oncussion/
greybeard58

Post by greybeard58 »

Concussion puts an end to 18-year-old super talent's national team debut.

She is expected to be the next major Swedish goalkeeper star.

But a concussion puts an end to 18-year-old Anna Amholt's national team debut.

"It's really sad to miss it so clearly, but it's not much you can do," says the super talent. The ladies crowns go to Finland for a five-time tournament on 11-15 December. When the federal Ylva Martinsson presented his troupe, there was a name that stood out a bit extra.
18-year-old Anna Amholt.

AIK's goalkeeper promises a bright future, but now it is clear that she misses the national defeat because of a concussion.

"It was on a training last week that I crashed and got a bang on my head. It's obviously sad to not be able to come along, but just doing it as well when I come back and hoping I get more chances, "she told Sportbladet.

Q. When do you think you can be back?
A. "Hopefully at Christmas."

Amholt began her senior career in Hovås, and made her debut in SDHL as a 15-year-old in the HV71. After that, the flywatch went to Luleå already as a 16-year-old.

Q, You have moved a lot and far at a young age. Have you been mentally mentally required?
A. "The secret is enough I did not think so much. There have been trainings, matches, school and high pace all the time, "says Gothenburg Ambult, who has no plans to move home.

"No, none at all. I enjoy where I am now."

She also says she thinks her positive lightning helped her in the process.

"I'm forward as a person, want a lot and try to take care of me.”

OS and World Cup the big goals

She is seen as a big goalkeeper's promise, and is expected with the right development to eventually take over the first pillar in Damkronorna. Among the names that previously watched the goal in the national team are names like profane Kim Martin and Sarah Grahn.

"I do not really have any idol, but I look up to those who are better than me and try to learn from them. Sara Grahn, for example, she says.

Q. What do you have for future goals?
A. "OS 2022, and also World Cup next year in Finland. Then I also want to help AIK take a place in the playoffs.”

The 18-year-old, on the other hand, is not very happy with the season so far, despite the landslide.

"I'm not very happy with the start of my season. I have changed my game style and it takes time to adjust. Then we have taken care of the right amount of damages, so it feels bad, "says Amholt, who still believes in her team.

"It's in the playoff that is true. It's all about getting there and there we're going to be the best.”

AIK is currently in the eighth and last playoffs place in a least-halted table, with seven points down to SDE and two games fewer played.

Supertalangen missar landslagsdebuten – hjärnskakning sätter stopp
Supertalent misses the national debut | Aftonbladet
She is expected to be the next major Swedish goalkeeper star. But a concussion puts an end to 18-year-old Anna Amholt’s national team debut.
https://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/ ... tter-stopp
greybeard58

Post by greybeard58 »

"Women’s ice hockey is one of the most dangerous sports one can play"

Universities are first and foremost institutions of higher education. The game of football is in direct contradiction to that ideal. Degrading brain condition and mental functions at the expense of cheap entertainment should be scorned by the academic community.

The irony should not be lost on anyone. While MU is intended to foster a culture of academic success and intellection, its implied championing of brain damage and CTE is unacceptable. This goes for any college or university fielding a football team.

It’s worth mentioning football isn’t the only sport with potential for brain damage. Many sports, including hockey, cheerleading and boxing, have a history of concussion problems, as well.

Women’s sports in particular seem to be plagued by concussions. Female athletes across different sports are more likely to be diagnosed with concussions when compared to male athletes, according to the American Medical Society for Sports Medicine. Women’s ice hockey is one of the most dangerous sports one can play, with a diagnosed concussion rate higher than that of men’s football.

Football has no place at institutions of higher education
Read more:https://www.themaneater.com/stories/opi ... -education
greybeard58

Post by greybeard58 »

Bad Vibes: How Hits To The Head Are Transferred To The Brain

December 24, 20185:01 AM ET
Heard on Morning Edition
Jon Hamilton 2010
JON HAMILTON

Research inspired by soccer headers has led to fresh insights into how the brain weathers hits to the head.

It was a question about soccer that got Philip Bayly interested in brain injuries.

Bayly, a mechanical engineer at Washington University in St. Louis, was approached by several doctors who wanted advice about some young soccer players they were treating.

"They said, 'Well, we've got some kids who have concussions and they want to know if they can go back to play. And we don't know what's happening to their head when they're heading a soccer ball,' " Bayly recalls.

Does a header have a big effect or a small one? The doctors thought Bayly might have the answer.

"I said, 'That's really interesting. I play soccer and my kids play soccer, and I don't know what's happening when you head a soccer ball either,' " Bayly told them. "But I know how we can find out."

With Concussion Risk In Soccer, Headers May Kick It Up A Notch
So in the early 2000s, Bayly brought soccer players into his lab to figure out precisely how much acceleration their heads experienced when they headed balls hurled at them by a machine.

The answer was 15 to 20 times the force of gravity, a relatively minor impact.

"Jump up and down you're feeling maybe 4 or 5 G's when you hit the ground," Bayly says. "When you play football, you have a hard collision with someone else, it's maybe 50 to 100 G's."

But Bayly realized these numbers didn't mean much unless he knew how much of this force was reaching a person's brain. So he spent the next decade trying to figure that out.

It's an effort that has involved jiggling and jarring a lot of living human brains.

Bayly's lab has become expert at using MRI techniques developed to study beating hearts to see how the brain changes shape when a person's head moves.

In one experiment, volunteers rapidly turned their heads. In another, they placed their head in a cradle and pulled a string that allowed the cradle to drop about an inch.

More recently, the lab has been using a technique called magnetic resonance elastography along with a device that vibrates the skull. Charlotte Guertler, a graduate student in Bayly's lab, demonstrates how it works.

"So your head is resting on this," she says, pointing to a foam cradle. "That's what vibrates the back of your head and that's how we see the waves inside your head."

The waves are much gentler than the motion caused by heading a soccer ball. But the technique has allowed Bayly's team to get a detailed look at how forces applied to a person's head are transferred to the brain inside.

And in 2017, the team published a study in the Journal of Biomechanical Engineering that challenged the way scientists had been thinking about head impacts.

"People have built mental models of what's going on inside your head," Bayly says. "They think it's like a rubber ball bouncing around inside your skull or a ball floating in fluid."

Would Banning Headers In Soccer Solve The Concussion Problem?

Would Banning Headers In Soccer Solve The Concussion Problem?
But the MRI images of a vibrating brain suggested a much more sophisticated system.

"What we saw, surprisingly, was that the brain wasn't colliding and bouncing against the walls of the skull, but it was pulling away from points of attachment," Bayly says.

These points of attachment are part of the membranes that separate the brain from the skull. And they usually act like the suspension system in a car, absorbing impacts and smoothing out bumps, Bayly says.

"Your brain is much better protected and suspended than it would be if it were just rattling around inside your skull," he says. The study found that this system could reduce the vibrations by 90 percent.

"But like any suspension system, it can fail," Bayly says. That can happen when an impact is simply too powerful for the system to absorb. And it is more likely with certain types of impacts.

One is a blow like a roundhouse punch to the chin, which causes a person's head to rotate violently. This can damage delicate fibers that connect the brain and skull.

Another dangerous impact is one to the back of the head, which can happen when athletes fall backward and their head slams into the ground. This can actually tear attachment points called bridging veins at the front of the brain and cause dangerous bleeding.

Scientists can't replicate those impacts in the lab, though, because it wouldn't be safe for human participants in a study. "We're getting a picture of your brain under sort of normal operating conditions as opposed to injury conditions and that's really the weakness of our approach," Bayly says.

Even so, the sort of research Bayly is doing is helping doctors understand why certain impacts are especially dangerous to the brain, says Dr. Mark Halstead, who directs the sports concussion clinic at St. Louis Children's Hospital but isn't involved in Bayly's research.

"We don't have the ability to take the brain out of the skull and look at it in a living person," he says. "So we're always trying to figure out what happens in the brain through an imaging technique or physics."

And Bayly thinks he is a lot closer to answering the question that got him into research about head injury, the one about heading a soccer ball. The research so far suggests that the brain's suspension system probably works pretty well to dampen a relatively mild impact like that, Bayly says.

What's still not clear, he says, is whether that's enough to prevent long-term damage in players who head the ball hundreds or even thousands of times in games and practice.

Bad Vibes: How Hits To The Head Are Transferred To The Brain
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-sho ... -the-brain
greybeard58

"concussions will never stop"

Post by greybeard58 »

"concussions will never stop"

Hockey is a brutal game, every second of it a potential danger, for those on the ice and even the players and coaches who line the bench during the frenetic, unpredictable action.

...Cloudy. No tidy answers. Such is so often the case with concussions. Among the myriad forces that keep an injured player in the lineup: the player’s drive to keep playing, particularly in a sport backed by an ethos of courage and not wanting to let down teammates, as well as coaches who don’t want to short their bench.

...Vicious, predatory hits to the head are inexcusable, and always have been, but particularly so now in an era when we continually learn more about brain injuries and the connection between concussive and subconcussive hits and how they act as the oxygen that feeds the fire of CTE.

The concussions will never stop, not in a game played at this pace, on a rock-hard surface ringed by an immovable wall.

Concussions are, and will remain, a major issue
Read more: https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/brui ... story.html
greybeard58

Multiple Concussions Linked to Decrease

Post by greybeard58 »

Multiple Concussions Linked to Decrease in Executive Brain Functions
Posted on January 3, 2019
MedicalResearch.com Interview with:
Robert Ross, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
McConnell Hall, Room 424
University of New Hampshire

MedicalResearch.com: What is the background for this study?

Response: In the United States, 1.5-2 million people suffer from mild traumatic brain injuries, more commonly referred to as concussions, per year.

There is a large body of work illustrating the cognitive impairments associated with concussions in the immediate aftermath of the concussive event. However, it is not clear whether concussions can change cognition more long-term and how concussions might change how the brain functions during specific types of cognition.

In our study, we examined executive function, which is a cognitive process that helps control or manage other cognitive functions, in a group of healthy young adults aged 18-24 that had suffered at least two concussions and compared their performance and their brain oscillations to a group that had not suffered any concussions. Brain oscillations help the brain coordinate the activity of the thousands of neurons necessary for any sort of cognitive process to occur. The participants in the study self-reported their concussions with all concussions occurring at least one month prior to participating in the experiment.

MedicalResearch.com: What are the main findings?

Response: The specific executive function task was picked to examine cognitive flexibility, or a person’s ability to shift from one task to another. We show that overall performance in the executive function task is less in people that have suffered 2 or more concussions compared to an age-matched group that had no reported concussions. We also show that brain oscillations that have been linked to attention and executive function are changed in those that have had multiple concussions.

MedicalResearch.com: What should readers take away from your report?

Response: Multiple concussions can have small long-term effects to an individual’s executive function, even in a population of generally healthy young adults. These changes in executive function are in part due to changes in how the brain communicates information within and across brain regions.

MedicalResearch.com: What recommendations do you have for future research as a result of this work?

Response: Now that we know that brain oscillations are changed by concussions and that those oscillatory changes are associated with decreased executive function, we can design intervention studies that might increase executive function abilities. There are different cognitive training techniques that change brain oscillations which could be tested to determine whether they mitigate the decrease in performance we found.

MedicalResearch.com: Is there anything else you would like to add?

Response: We want to emphasize that the decrease in executive function we see in the task does not reflect abnormal cognitive abilities. The participants with multiple concussions performed well on the executive function task. They just did not perform as well as those that had not had any concussions.

Citation:

Stephanie E. Barlow, Paolo Medrano, Daniel R. Seichepine, Robert S. Ross. Investigation of the changes in oscillatory power during task switching after mild traumatic brain injury. European Journal of Neuroscience, 2018; 48 (12): 3498 DOI: 10.1111/ejn.14231

Multiple Concussions Linked to Decrease in Executive Brain Functions
https://medicalresearch.com/author-inte ... ons/46777/
greybeard58

6th Annual Conference February 21-22

Post by greybeard58 »

6th Annual Conference February 21-22

6th Annual Concussion Across the Spectrum of Injury: Latest in Diagnosis and Management on Feb 21-22 has a powerhouse speaker lineup. Dr. Robert Stern presenting CTE: Where Are We Now?, Dr. Dennis Cardone presenting: The Female Athlete, and Dr. Robert Cantu moderating panels on brain trauma in youth and college players.

6th Annual Concussion Across the Spectrum of Injury: Latest in Diagnosis and Management
NYU Langone Health - Alumni Hall
February 21 - 22, 2019
https://www.highmarksce.com/nyumc/index.cfm
greybeard58

Mnhockey magazine article

Post by greybeard58 »

How many kids quit because of checking?
By VJ Stanley
Save
Updated: July 17, 2013

To check and tackle or not to check and tackle pre puberty?

There is an increasing debate raging on whether or not checking should be allowed pre puberty in ice hockey as well as tackling in Pop Warner football. In New York State Legislation has been introduced that would eliminate all tackle football before the age of 11. In Canada checking in hockey is being eliminated pre puberty.

Let’s examine the problem and why this has become an issue.

“TBIsaccount for an estimated 1.6 million to 3.8 million sports injuries every year, with approximately 300,000 of those being diagnosed among young, nonprofessional athletes.”

Increased knowledge about concussions and their long term effect on children is being researched, developed, and brought out to the public in an increasing variety of ways. There are concussion tests that start with a baseline before the child plays. There is a blood test that measures protein. Voice recognition is now coming to the forefront as another way to examine and treat this problem.

My own personal experience comes into play here. I have had 8 concussions total. The last two occurred within one week at Clarkson University while playing hockey and ended my playing career. The effects still haunt me today.

Two years ago, my wife decided to decorate our Christmas tree with a special treat for the kids. I was out making a speech and when I got home it hit me like a ton of bricks. She had bought blueberry candy canes, as an innocuous tree ornament. The first whiff of this started to give me a headache. Then my eyes started to water and my vision started to blur. When I tried to talk to her about this my words were slurred. It got to the point in just a matter of minutes that I could not speak and could not see. She led me upstairs to the bedroom and closed all the shades and put a hand cloth over my eyes. My wife then went downstairs and threw out the candy canes, opened all the windows and turned on the heat.

It took 4 hours before I returned to normal.

People can argue all they want about the need to have kids learn checking and tackling early on in both football and hockey to toughen up the children, but it does not trump the health issue. Since we have a hard enough time getting trained coaches to teach these techniques, I believe that delaying contact until after puberty is a sound health solution.

It has been presented to me that the children will fall behind or become “wussys.”

If all contact is eliminated then no one will fall behind and no one will get an advantage. In Canada they conducted an experiment with one team of 12 year olds played with contact and another didn’t. No difference in development. Why? Because skill is still the most important physical aspect for any child to learn in youth sports.

How many passes are made in a hockey game compared to checks thrown? How many shots taken? In football, how many kids quit playing because they don’t want to get continually clobbered every practice and game? Do we not have a responsibility to keep them active? Mentally, as always, it’s about having fun, so the child can relax and play with confidence. Am I to believe that children playing pickup games with no contact are not developing? Watch my videos and you will see where professional and college athletes and coaches say pick up games are fun and competitive, without contact.

Since there are many cases of kids and parents going over board when hitting is involved then eliminating that aspect of youth sports is another way to ramp down the angst at youth sports events. Some kids will want to go to next level and start contact and that’s great. I’m all for it. No parent that I have seen at a youth sports event goes nuts over a great pass, a fantastic run, or a beautiful goal.

Lastly let me remind you that 3.5 million children went to the hospital last year with over use injuries. If you don’t think the insurance companies are not going to see this and come up with a way to stop all the payments and keep people healthy you really haven’t been paying attention closely to the health situation in America where 30% of all children born after the year 2000 are headed for Type II diabetes.

Also, obesity has quadrupled over the last 30 years.

Let the children PLAY FOR FUN and be safe.

http://minnesotahockeymag.com/how-many- ... -checking/
greybeard58

Mayo Clinic Sports Medicine

Post by greybeard58 »

The link for the video is below
Mayo Clinic Sports Medicine releases study on concussion prevention
10:41 pm
January 9, 2019

Rochester, Minn. (FOX 47) – If you played contact sports growing up, there’s a chance you’ve experienced or had a close call with a concussion.

On Wednesday, the Mayo Clinic Sports Medicine Ice Hockey Research Team released a new study that’s in effort to minimize concussion risks. It could change the way the game is played.

The articles published are all about educating the hockey community, especially about treatment, diagnosis and prevention of concussions.

Minnesota: the land of 10,000 lakes.

“We strive to make sports safer across the board,” co-director of Mayo Clinic Sports Medicine Doctor Michael Stuart said.

But when those lakes freeze over, it becomes the state of Hockey.

“We have a special interest in hockey because we’re in the state of hockey and its a very important part our culture,” Dr. Stuart said. “We’ve been doing research in the sport of ice hockey for 20 some years now.”

On Wednesday, Hockey Researchers at Mayo Clinic released a study that centered around preventing one of the most common sports related injuries: concussions.

Too often, according to experts, concussions go untreated.
Part of that is they may not always result in a loss of consciousness.

“These are real problems that require real solutions,” he added. “We’re proposing ways to better diagnose concussion. We are doing research looking at objective measures so we don’t let athletes go back to play and put themselves at added risk when they’ve had a traumatic brain injury.”

Part of that proposal is making a few rule changes in hockey, like banning body checking in bantam level leagues.

“We know that the two highest forces to the brain is falling from a helmet and from a punch,” Dr. Stuart said. “And that should not be a part of our sport if we have anything to say about it. ”

And eliminating fighting at junior and pro levels.

“There are some young players that emulate that and teaches them behaviors that are dangerous,” Dr. Stuart said.

Lessen the danger, increase the fun.

“There are so many advantages about team sports,” he continued. “I don’t think the goal is to eliminate sports, its to make them safer. And that’s the goal here at Mayo Clinic Sports Medicine.”

It’s unclear if or how long it would take for some of these recommendations to be enforced – but Dr. Stuart puts it into perspective by saying at one point it wasn’t required for players 18 and older to wear helmets.

The research team also plans to look these ideas during their USA Hockey Winter meeting.

https://myfox47.com/2019/01/09/mayo-cli ... revention/
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

An anti checking group coming out against checking? I am shocked!

Missing in the whole discussion is when checking should start or be taught. The next level is high school where there can be a 4 year difference in players versus the two in youth hockey. Having a kid who has never seen a check play in a game against kids who have been checking for 4 years seems safe........
greybeard58

“every kid wants to make their parents proud”

Post by greybeard58 »

“every kid wants to make their parents proud”

24-year old Connor Crisp and his family share why he walked away from a game he loves.
Original video audio is in English, captions in French.

See the 14 minute 27 second video at: https://ici.radio-canada.ca/sports/podi ... en-etc-cte

Connor refers to this Players’ Tribune video, "You can take my name off the Stanley Cup twice over. I can’t live like that anymore."
Former NHL player Daniel Carcillo discusses head trauma and treatment
See the 5 minute, 40 second video at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4BySsH6FgQ
greybeard58

Caroline Markström

Post by greybeard58 »

Former SCSU grad hasn't played for nearly 4 months and doesn't know when she'll return

Caroline Markström

In an interview with Hockeysverige St Cloud State graduate, Markström revealed that she had suffered her first ever concussion during a third match of the season on 21 September. Not realizing what had happened or the seriousness she played the following two days but has now not played for nearly four months and does not know when she will return. The 24 year old defenseman was in her second season at Brynäs IF after graduating in 2016/7 from the NCAA and had played for Sweden at the 2015/6 World Championship.

Lara Stalder out for rest season - SDHL - injury update Jan ‘19
https://www.theicegarden.com/2019/1/14/ ... ate-jan-19
greybeard58

upper body injury

Post by greybeard58 »

"Elmes missed game for precautionary reasons due to an upper body injury"

The Bulldogs were without junior defenseman and co-captain Jalyn Elmes on Saturday. She missed the game for percautionary reasons due to an upper body injury suffered during the third period of Friday's game. Senior assistant captain Emma Yanko was also missed her fifth and sixth consecutive games this weekend due to injuries.

College women's hockey: Rogge ends scoring slump as Bulldogs sweep
Read more: http://duluthnewstribune.com/sports/hoc ... dogs-sweep
greybeard58

New study

Post by greybeard58 »

New study shows existing tests may not be detecting brain function changes in young ice hockey players

"What's even more surprising is that not only did we find undetected physiological impairments in players diagnosed with concussions who were cleared to play, we also found that players who were not diagnosed with concussions showed decreased cognitive processing speed post season - thought to be the result of repetitive 'sub-concussive impacts,’" according to Shaun Fickling, the study's lead author and a Ph.D. student at SFU.

Brain Vital Signs Capture Undetected Physiological Impairments in Young Ice Hockey Players Diagnosed with Concussions
Read more: https://healthandtechnologydistrict.com ... ncussions/