concussions

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

goldy313

Re: concussions

Post by goldy313 »

Minnesota's concussion law was ahead of its time, now it is behind the medical evidence.....officials do not have the authority to remove a player even if they deem the player is unconscious. An official is usually the first person on the scene and often witnesses the mechanism of injury...yet have zero say, despite concussion training on whether the player needs further medical evaluation. The MSHSL still does lip service to concussions.
greybeard58

Athletes’ head injuries

Post by greybeard58 »

Athletes’ head injuries can provoke surprisingly long-lasting harm

Elite athletes are some of the strongest people in the world. They train day after day to prepare for national and international competitions. Many hope to stand on the Olympic podium with a gold medal. For every athlete who succeeds, though, many others are derailed by injury. And not all of those injuries will be visible.

But elite athletes are not the only ones at risk. Nearly 1 in 5 U.S. adolescents, for instance, have sustained a concussion. This is a particularly nasty type of head injury. The statistic comes from a new survey reported September 26 in the journal JAMA. And more than 1 in every 20 teens, its data show, reported having been concussed two or more times.

Affected athletes may not be able to compete again for weeks, months — even years. Indeed, scientists and doctors had long thought that concussed people could safely return to regular activities once their symptoms went away. New data now dispute that.

Stopping concussions before they happen may be the only way to prevent long-term damage to the brain and how it works. That’s the conclusion of the researchers behind these studies. And although anyone can sustain a head injury, athletes in many sports face a special risk. Among those most likely to incur a concussion are those who play football and hockey. Those taking part in the winter Olympic sports of snowboarding, skiing and bobsled also are at risk.

Particularly disturbing, new research shows that even without a concussion, head injuries can lead to long-term damage. They may even lead to a brain disease known as CTE.

Athletes’ head injuries can provoke surprisingly long-lasting harm
Even as symptoms from concussion and other injuries fade, brain impairments may last years
Read more: https://www.sciencenewsforstudents.org/ ... sting-harm
greybeard58

Tiffany Hanson Concussion

Post by greybeard58 »

The third-seeded Green Wave received goals from all four lines in the win. On a Crookston team on which 10 of the 20 players on the roster are eighth-graders, the lone senior—goalie Brelee Jobe—kept the game close with her 50 saves.

"Brelee was huge for us. She has been all year,'' Pirates coach Jaclyn Martin said. "She made the saves she needed to. She kept us in the game. And our defensive play helped.''

Senior High scored twice in a 1:40 span in the first period to take the lead for good. Cynthia Loven opened scoring, assisted by Tiffany Hanson and Mac McDonald, at the 5:55 mark. Hanson followed with an unassisted goal to make it 2-0.

"Tiff has dealt with a concussion and some other injury things this season,'' Wave coach Jim Enright said. "She's healthy now and had a nice game. That was great to see her get going.''

Nicole Schlenk and Kendra Emery each scored in the second period, and Grace Beck and Avery Kovar had goals in the third.

"We peppered their goalie,'' Enright said. "We got scoring from all four of our lines; I think that's the first time all year we've had that.

"We were steady all night. We didn't give them many chances. Our defense played well.''

Kylee Meier had the lone goal for Crookston, which closed with a 5-21-0 record.

Senior High (17-8-1) plays Thief River Falls in the section semifinals at 8:15 p.m. Monday at Warroad.

Wave advance in section
Read more: https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports ... ce-section
greybeard58

Post by greybeard58 »

Future Princeton Tiger misses 7 weeks with concussion

Sarah Fillier

“We had a period where it was just injury after injury,” said Hornets associate coach Darcy Breakey. “It taught the team a lot about working together.”

The Hornets had four players on the Canadian team that won a bronze medal at the women’s world under-18 championships in Russia, but blueliner Emily Rickwood was the only one who didn’t miss significant time down the stretch.

Captain Sarah Fillier missed seven weeks with a concussion before returning with back-to-back two-goal games in the final week of the regular season. The Princeton-bound forward added five more in the Hornets’ six playoff games.

“We wanted to make sure she had time to get healthy before returning,” Breakey said. “She makes an impact every shift. And being our captain, she’s a leader. Her coming back re-energized the girls.”

Goalie Maddy McArthur played just twice in two months after suffering a groin injury at the national under-18 championships where she and Hornet teammates Fillier, Laura Cote and Lexie Adzija helped Ontario Red claim gold. McArthur has gone 4-0-1 since returning.

Adzija missed two months with a broken ankle but came back in the opening round of the playoffs and has scored in three of her four games.

Healthy Hornets look to defend PWHL title
Read more: https://www.insidehalton.com/sports-sto ... whl-title/
greybeard58

Madison Packer taken off ice by stretcher

Post by greybeard58 »

Madison Packer taken off ice by stretcher

Madison Packer

[Editor’s note: The game was halted for several minutes in the third period after Riveters all-star forward Madison Packer was injured and taken off the ice by stretcher.

Burt, Pride Launch Season with 5-1 Win over Riveters
https://www.nwhl.zone/news_article/show/958844

Writer for NHL and NWHL, Dan Rice: “Exchanged messages with a Riveters player last night, she said it was a head injury but they believe Madison Packer is okay.”
https://mobile.twitter.com/DRdiabloTHW/ ... 2546117632

Director of the Players Association Anya Battaglino: "I took a deep sign of relief when I heard Madison Packer arguing “You can’t cut my Riveters jersey! I NEED it! Why do you HAVE to cut it?” They asked me if she was acting normally I laughed “Yep, that’s her”. Tough as nails, but thankful it wasn’t more severe."
https://mobile.twitter.com/battaglinoa/ ... 7927435270
greybeard58

Erin Zach

Post by greybeard58 »

Erin Zach ends her hockey career after a concussion

Since Finishing Her NWHL Career

Following her time with the Beauts, Zach would play the 2016-17 season in the CWHL with the Toronto Furies. She played in 19 of the teams 24 regular season games, picking up a pair of assists. After a more serious injury, Zach decided to put a close on her playing career and change her focus to a different form of involvement with hockey.

“I played one season with the Furies,” she explained, “during which I received a concussion and decided that it would be best to end my competitive hockey career. I now officiate competitively with leagues such as the PWHL, the Jr. Women’s Hockey League (JWHL) in Ontario, and also OUA and CIS for university women’s hockey. Hoping to get my turn as a linesperson in the CWHL very soon.”

Original Buffalo Beaut Erin Zach Goes One-On-One
https://thehockeywriters.com/original-b ... erin-zach/
greybeard58

Jennifer Wakefield Concussion

Post by greybeard58 »

Jennifer Wakefield Concussion

Translated:
Jennifer Wakefield was affected by concussion after the head attack against HV71.

Now the judgment of the Disciplinary Board has come.

Sabrina Zollinger is shut down in four matches while HV71 coach Lucas Frey goes to counterattack and accuses Wakefield to drive over players.

"Yes, it must stand for HV71. But they may write like that to save their own skins,” says Brynäs coach Magnus Carlsson.

Sabrina Zollinger stängs av efter överfallet på Jennifer Wakefield | Aftonbladet
Jennifer Wakefield was affected by concussion after the head attack against HV71.
Read more: https://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/ ... raffas-hon
greybeard58

More women's brains needed for concussion studies

Post by greybeard58 »

More women's brains needed for concussion studies, says Ruggiero

American gold-medal ice hockey player Angela Ruggiero said she hopes her pledge to donate her brain to concussion research would encourage other female athletes to do the same so scientists could gain a fuller picture of the problem.

The Hall of Fame defenseman, who retired in 2011 after playing in four Olympics, said medical research into chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) would benefit from greater female participation.

“They don’t have enough women’s brains and for any good medical study, you should have both genders from a variety of sports,” she told Reuters in an interview. “So we need more hockey brains.”

Ruggiero could recall only one concussion she had suffered during her 15-year career but said head injuries were common in ice hockey and had cut short the careers of many players.

Concussions had led her friend and former team mate Caitlin Cahow to retire and nearly forced the retirement of Meghan Duggan, the captain of the U.S. gold medal-winning team at this year’s Winter Olympics in Pyeonchang, she said.

“I’m so blessed that concussions didn’t actually affect my career,” she said.

“But who knows, maybe those hits as a kid caused damage up there.

“I’d love science to figure that out and I want to support further research.”

Ruggiero said it was possible concussions were more prevalent in women’s ice hockey than in men’s because while the men were allowed to bodycheck each other, women were not, which could leave them unprepared for contact when it occurred.

“If you’re a guy, you’re always waiting to get clobbered,” she said. “In women’s, you’re not expecting to get hit.”

The good news was that the growing awareness of concussions in sports, especially in the NFL, had led to the emergence of new technologies aimed at measuring and preventing them, she said.

“We see a whole market for this now,” said Ruggiero, who is also the CEO of the Sports Innovation Lab, which seeks to bridge the gap between the worlds of sports and technology.

“From a market research perspective we see dollars being deployed and new companies being founded trying to solve this, so that’s encouraging.

“I want to give some visibility to the discussion and encourage other athletes to pledge their brains as well.”

U.S. Olympic bobsledder Elana Meyers Taylor and Canadian ice hockey player Hayley Wickenheiser have also pledged to donate their brains to concussion research through the Boston-based Concussion Legacy Foundation.

Ice hockey: More women's brains needed for concussion studies, says Ruggiero
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-iceh ... SKCN1MD26E
greybeard58

Concussion History and Cognitive Function

Post by greybeard58 »

Concussion History and Cognitive Function in a Large Cohort of Adolescent Athletes
Show all authors
Kathryn M. Taylor, ScD*, Marianthi-Anna Kioumourtzoglou, ScD, Jim Clover, MED, ...
First Published September 19, 2018 Research Article
https://doi.org/10.1177/0363546518798801
Article information
Article has an altmetric score of 52 No Access
Abstract
Background:
The incidence of reported concussions in the adolescent population is increasing, yet research on the effects of concussions in this population is minimal and inconclusive.

Purpose:
To assess the association between concussion and performance on a cognitive test battery.

Study Design:
Cross-sectional study; Level of evidence, 3.

Methods:
Using multivariate models, the authors assessed the association between concussion and performance on a cognitive test battery among 5616 high school and junior high school athletes. The researchers utilized a global cognitive score and scores for 5 domains: verbal memory, visual memory, visual motor, reaction time, and impulse control. Each cognitive score was converted to a z score with the mean and SD of the nonconcussed population. Results from each model were then interpreted as change in the standardized unit score. In the models, concussion was evaluated as ever having a concussion, number of concussions, time since last concussion, and age at first concussion.

Results:
Ever having a concussion was associated with a mean decrease of 0.11 standardized units (95% CI, −0.20 to −0.01) on the global cognitive score and lower scores in all cognitive domains. Each additional concussion was associated with lower scores on global cognitive function (effect estimate, −0.06; 95% CI, −0.11 to −0.02), verbal memory, visual memory, and impulse control. Concussion in early childhood was associated with lower global cognition (effect estimate, −0.05; 95% CI, −0.08 to −0.01), visual memory, and motor visual scores as compared with concussions in later childhood. The associations between time since last concussion and cognitive test scores were nonlinear, and on all tests, lower scores were observed even ≥1 year after the concussion.

Conclusion:
On the basis of objective performance metrics for cognitive function, concussions had a more persistent effect on cognitive function than previously thought. The age at which an individual has his or her first concussion may be an important factor in determining long-lasting cognitive effects.

Keywords neurocognitive testing, adolescents, concussion, duration of effects, mTBI

Concussion History and Cognitive Function in a Large Cohort of Adolescent Athletes
http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10. ... 6518798801
greybeard58

Post by greybeard58 »

Six Concussions

“I love to compete and I am a crazy competitor,” Engelhardt said by phone. “But I think coaching is where I should go for my brain. I’ve had six concussions. I don’t know if I want to risk that again.”

It’s About Growing The Game
New Whitecaps co-head coach Ronda Curtin Engelhardt has a passion for taking the women’s game to new heights
Read more: https://www.stateofhockey.com/news_article/show/943574
greybeard58

Rare one-year followup provides unique perspective in this study

Post by greybeard58 »

Rare one-year followup provides unique perspective in this study

Nearly a third of children experiencing a concussion had symptoms, including headache, irritability, and fatigue, up to a year after their injury, according to a study funded by the National Institutes of Health. Girls tended to have more elevated symptoms and to experience them for longer, compared to boys.

Science Update: Nearly a third of children with concussion experience symptoms for a year, NICHD-funded study finds
Girls almost twice as likely to have long-term symptoms
Review study at: https://www.nichd.nih.gov/newsroom/rele ... n-symptoms
greybeard58

5 more careers ended due to brain injury

Post by greybeard58 »

5 more careers ended due to brain injury

"All brains are different. And in my case it was enough with two bangs before the brain gave up.

Lisa Hedengren, 26, is a living proof that the standard image requires a number of brain shakes before serious injuries occur.

Very wrong.

In 2015, Lisa Hedengren was the team captain of AIK, established in the Damascus, and in the midst of a very radiant hockey career.

But a bang in the back of a match against Linköping in December destroyed all dreams.

It was "just" her second brainshake in her career. But it was still too much.

The biggest thing was that I was only 23 years old. I saw myself doing a good bit longer than that. But now all my goals whispered completely,“ says Lisa Hedengren.

And the time immediately after the bang became night black.

"In the first few months, I did not go for a night without crying. And I'm still nobody who's crying really.

How are you today?

"I'm far from 100 percent. But it is slowly moving forward. Small steps every year.

She tells that just such - for other - trivial things like a visit to a larger, noisy restaurant can have extreme consequences.

"That environment is probably the worst for me.

What is the effect?

"After a while it just feels like the brain turns off completely. Like I'm in a tunnel, I hear things - but the brain can not take more. And then dizziness and headache.

Lisa Hedengren continues: "When I come to a calmer environment afterwards, it feels like ... I'm sitting on a boat. With big waves. And floats around there in some kind of vacuum.

Lisa Hedengren is one of five female players on the list, which may not sound so much.

But it should be seen in the perspective that there are significantly fewer ladies playing than on the men's side.that there are completely different tackle rules in women’s hockey.

The attention in the media is comparatively minimal. Which means that players may have to quit without being mentioned in a word - and therefore are not listed on this list.

That's how it is. If a player disappears high up in elite hockey, it becomes much more noticeable. But it also happens with us - with the same results of the bangs.

Since 2016, Lisa Hedengren has been an assistant coach for AIK's team in SDHL.

But in civil life, she has been full-time sick since that December. Until recently.

"Now all insurance contributions have been withdrawn. They think I'm ready to start working 100 percent again,” telling the 26-year-old.

"But I am not.

So what does the development look like?

Has the increasing attention of brain shocks in recent years had any effect?

The answer is no.

Listan som skakar om svensk hockey (The list that shakes about Swedish hockey, translated excerpt)
Read more: https://www.expressen.se/sport/hockey/l ... sk-hockey/

As noted, the author reports that the women’s list is incomplete because there is so little media coverage of women’s concussions. On the list of "79 Careers” ended due to Post Concussion Syndrome, there are 5 notable Swedish women:
Mikaela Ahlstrand, 19, SDE (2017)
Madelene Eriksson, 29, Linköping (2012)
Lisa Hedengren, 26, AIK (2015)
Erika Holst, 39, Segeltorp (2013)
Caroline Siik, 23, Leksand (2013)
greybeard58

Post by greybeard58 »

Concussions In Female Athletes Could Lead To “An Intergenerational Nightmare”

The Project staff
The Project

Mon 22 Oct 2018 11.15 PM

AFL player agent Peter Jess has voiced concerns about concussions amongst female players
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
AFL player agent Peter Jess claims he warned the AFL about female concussions back in 2016
Research shows female athletes are more prone to concussion than men
When the AFLW competition was introduced in 2017, it was a massive development for female athletes that allowed them to play AFL at a professional level. However, there are concerns that the game has also exposed its players to alarming rates of concussion.

Speaking to News Corp, AFL agent Peter Jess claims that the rising popularity of AFL amongst women and girls “will create a whole new prism of damage” and will eventual become “an intergenerational public health disaster” when these women reach their 30s and 40s.

Jess, who is currently involved in bringing legal action against the AFL on behalf of past players who allegedly suffered neurological damage following on-field concussions, claims that he “pleaded with the AFL” to better protect female athletes before it launched the women’s competition.

His concerns seem to have been justified. AFLW stats from the first two seasons reveal that the number of women missing matches due to concussion injuries is more than double compared to the men in the AFL. This is also consistent with US studies that suggest women are 50% more likely than men to suffer a sports-related concussion.

Some doctors say the difference are due to anatomical reasons; women’s brain axons may be shorter so are more easily damaged, their neck muscles tend to be weaker so do not stabilise the head as well as men’s upon collision, and some research suggests that oestrogen levels could also make women more vulnerable to concussion.

But, perhaps a simpler explanation is that because many female athletes are less experienced in playing collision sports, they are less experienced at protecting themselves when playing. These self-protective techniques can be practiced and honed at training, such as teaching players to turn side-on when picking up a football or running back into a contest. As reported by Fairfax, there have also been trials of new helmet designs in the men's league, intended to reduce the risk of concussion.

Given the rapid rise in the popularity of AFLW and other contact sports, such as the women’s NRL, the need to better protect female athletes before they suffer long-term, irreparable damage is urgent.

Concussions In Female Athletes Could Lead To “An Intergenerational Nightmare”
https://tendaily.com.au/shows/theprojec ... e-20181023
greybeard58

Post by greybeard58 »

Beyond hockey

"Joey Kidney is holding a meet and greet on Friday on the topic of mental health. The YouTube star with over 45,000,000 views battled both anxiety and depression after suffering multiple concussions as a result of playing hockey."

He currently has 671,169 YouTube subscribers.
https://www.youtube.com/joeykidney

This Ottawa Youtuber Opens Up About How He Balances Mental Health With His Success
https://www.narcity.com/ca/on/ottawa/li ... is-success
greybeard58

"Only 59% symptom free at 5 years"

Post by greybeard58 »

"Only 59% symptom free at 5 years"

Traumatic brain injury is a leading cause of morbidity and mortality in children, and rates of injury have increased over the past decade. According to a study being presented at the 2018 American Academy of Pediatrics National Conference & Exhibition, these injuries have long-term consequences; researchers found children who experience traumatic brain injury are at higher risk of developing headache, depression, and mental or intellectual disorders up to five years after the event.

For the study abstract, “Long-term Outcomes Following Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) in Children,”researchers obtained diagnostic codes from medical records in the Military Health System Data Repository to analyze clinical data on children. They compared patients diagnosed with traumatic brain injury to those who suffered orthopedic injury, matching patients by age, gender and injury severity score.

In the study population, 55 percent had mild injury severity score, 41 percent had moderate injuryseverity score, and 4 percent had severe injury severity score. Among children who sustained traumatic brain injury, 39 percent of children developed neuropsychiatric symptoms as follows:

• Headaches – 15 percent

• Mental disorder – 15 percent

• Intellectual disability – 13 percent

• Depression/anxiety – 5 percent

• Seizure – 4 percent

• Brain damage – 4 percent

Researchers found that 16 percent of children who experienced orthopedic injury also developed neuropsychiatric symptoms including:

• Intellectual disability – 8 percent

• Mental disorder – 4 percent

• Depression/anxiety – 3 percent

• Headaches – 2 percent

• Seizure – less than 1 percent

• Brain damage - less than 1 percent

“With the incidence of concussion and traumatic brain injury rising in this nation’s children, it is vital that we continue to evaluate mechanisms for prevention and treatment,” said Lindsey Armstrong, MD MPH, surgical critical care and research fellow, Boston Children's Hospital, Boston, Mass.“These data provide evidence to support close monitoring of injured children, even years after the event”

Researchers examined how injuries affected children up to five years later. They found that only 59 percent of children with traumatic brain injury could expect to be symptom-free in 5 years, versus 80 percent of those with orthopedic injuries.

“While primary prevention is most important, early recognition and education are essential to ensure the best possible outcome for these children,” Armstrong said. “Neuropsychiatric diagnosisfollowing traumatic brain injury can cause impairment in cognitive function thus affected children may experience difficulty in school or with personal relationships. It’s our hope that data we are presenting will help clinicians identify children at increased risk, resulting in improved follow-up and care.”

Traumatic Brain Injuries Can Lead to Long-Term Neurological and Psychiatric Disorders
Read more: https://www.aap.org/en-us/about-the-aap ... rders.aspx
greybeard58

Aspen Konowalchuk

Post by greybeard58 »

Aspen Konowalchuk

Skating full speed across the ice and into the boards, Aspen Konowalchuk had no idea this would be the last hockey game of her high school career.

Konowalchuk said she was tripped by the opposing team’s goalie in December 2017, causing her to flip in the air and fly into the boards, breaking her back at her T-12 vertebrae.

“I remember flying through the air and thinking ‘Oh my gosh, this is actually how I’m going to die,” she said.

Konowalchuk’s father and her coach immediately rushed to the ice, worried the crash had paralyzed her. At Konowalchuk’s high school, Benilde-St. Margaret’s, in St. Louis Park, Minnesota, a men’s hockey player, Jack Jablonski, was paralyzed in 2011 after being checked into the boards. Laying on the ice after the injury, that’s all she could think about, she said.

Konowalchuk is now one of only two women on Chapman’s club hockey team. Previously, she had only played on all-women’s teams and was nervous about the intensity of men’s hockey. Despite her nerves, her teammates say she’s already made an impression in the rink.

“Aspen is humble enough to not say this, but she is one of the best people on our team,” said Harrison Lowe, freshman undeclared major and Konowalchuk’s teammate. “She is crazy good. She is super fast, super confident with the puck — and tough.”

Before her injury, Konowalchuk was tired of hockey. She had been playing since she was old enough to walk, she said, and she didn’t know what life was like without it.

Growing up, she missed out on socializing, birthday parties and even trick-or-treating because she had practice almost every day, Konowalchuk said. After a lengthy recovery, including a two-and-a-half week stint where she could barely move, Konowalchuk began to miss the sport.

She came to Chapman unaware that the school had a club hockey team, but once she learned about it, she knew it was time to get back on the ice.

“(My dad) was like ‘Yep, I’m paying for all of it, don’t worry about the cost, we’ll get your gear out there,’” she said. “He’s coming out to watch a game at some point. My mom, of course, was like, ‘Be careful.’”

Konowalchuk is from Plymouth, Minnesota, where the culture surrounding hockey is serious, she said. She said she was intimidated to play with the men’s team at Chapman after witnessing the physique of male players from Minnesota.

Freshman Rachel Kang also plays for the club hockey team, and Konowalchuk said Kang’s comfort with the men on the team helped Konowalchuk adjust to California standards.

“(Kang has) been playing on boy’s teams her whole life,” Konowalchuk said. “If a girl tries to play on a boy’s team in Minnesota (they) would get so shamed … The guys would all just be like ‘What are you doing.’”

Though Konowalchuk said the women are treated equally on Chapman’s hockey team, Lowe said there are some “unspoken rules” dictating how the male players treat their female teammates.

“The courtesy is you bump or shove, but don’t hit (the women) head on or destroy them,” Lowe said. “It’s less of a courtesy and more like every single guy on the team would go after you from (then) on if you hurt a girl. For example, if Aspen got hit, we would bring the pain to (the opposing team).”

In the team’s first game of the season against California State University, Long Beach, the Panthers lost 19-0. Despite the defeat, Konowalchuk said the team stayed positive, something that would not have happened with her high school women’s hockey team.

“After the game, we all went out together and had fun,” Konowalchuk said. “(On) my old team, if we were losing that much, they would be frustrated during the game. Then nobody would talk after the game.”

Konowalchuk said her injury didn’t change her love of hockey, but gave her a fear of the boards, which she hopes to overcome as she plays more with the Chapman team.

“I’m so scared to go toward the boards again,” Konowalchuk said. “If (the puck) went toward the boards too fast and I saw a guy chasing after it, I would just let him go get it. That part is challenging, but hopefully I’ll get over that as I play more.”

Hockey player back on ice after injury
http://www.thepantheronline.com/sports/ ... ice-injury
greybeard58

Post by greybeard58 »

Concussion changed everything for Margaret Kuntz

Margaret Kuntz loves hockey. She spent as much time as she could on the ice, until a fall during a family trip derailed her life.

Kuntz fell off a cliff during a family hiking trip in the desert seven months ago. The 10-year-old suffered multiple head injuries, including a concussion that changed everything for her. She went from being on the ice for about 20 hours a week to not being able to leave her dark room for two months.

"I can't do much," Kuntz said. "I can't ride my bike. I can't do any sports, and it's just hard to read and write. I can't read and write that well."

She was supposed to go into fifth grade, but now it's going to take her two years to finish fourth grade. Her brain forgot that her left eye existed, and she suffered migraines, personality changes, vertigo and weight loss.

Kuntz refuses to let her injuries keep her down. She's discovered a love of art and math, and she likes to listen to Harry Potter audiobooks. Her big goal is to get back on the ice to play the sport she loves.

"I'm not going to be able to do spring, but I might be able to do fall next year," Kuntz said.

Parents who want to check their child's concussion status can do so for free on Thursday, October 25 in Missoula. Alpine Physical Therapy will host a free baseline concussion screening event from 2-5 p.m. at Playfair Park to celebrate National Physical Therapy month. The event is targeted at kids from 5-18 years old, and Alpine Physical Therapy recommends getting kids in high impact sports evaluated every two years.

Young hockey player finds hope and healing after concussion
Watch video at: http://www.kulr8.com/story/39357313/you ... concussion
greybeard58

Post by greybeard58 »

Jordy and Cierra concussions

“I’m out for a week or two for my back injury.. jordy’s out for who knows how long with her concussion.. and now cierra’s mildly concussed and possibly out for a bit... lmao pray for the CH hockey girls cuz apparently we need it.”
https://mobile.twitter.com/emrz_20/stat ... 1358176256
greybeard58

Kennedy & Uretsky

Post by greybeard58 »

Kennedy & Uretsky

Megan Kennedy
"Got clocked in hockey tonight. Immediately started analyzing the incident, concussion and all, using various gender theories to explain why the dude said it was my fault.

You can take the student out of higher ed, but not the higher ed out of the student."
https://mobile.twitter.com/MeganKennedy ... 4552679424

Madeline Uretsky
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5I2QWltRus
greybeard58

Dakota Derrer "really bad concussion"

Post by greybeard58 »

Dakota Derrer "really bad concussion"

Dakota Derrer wasn’t planning on attending Syracuse University for five years, but it wasn’t up to her.

A play during the second game of last season, on Sept. 30, 2017, her final shift against Bemidji State, decided Derrer’s fate. She doesn’t remember the shift. She just knows she collided with someone.

Derrer struggled through concussion protocol. She tried to go to class but had to leave, because the lights hurt her head and made her nauseous. She tried to watch her team’s games, but the motion made her sick. With painful migraines and nausea, Derrer stayed in her room for “a good month.”

“I guess we felt, at that point in time, her career was over,” SU head coach Paul Flanagan said.

Derrer’s “really bad concussion” caused her to miss a month of class and take incompletes in the fall semester, she said. It took six months for Derrer to get cleared to workout. She was awarded a medical redshirt by the NCAA to play for SU as a fifth-year student.

She graduated last spring with a bachelor’s degree in biology, but a chance to lace up her skates one last time led her back to SU for a fifth year, her mother Debbie said. She has brought back her aggressive style and is leading the Orange (4-6, 4-2 College Hockey America) in blocked shots like she did as a sophomore.

“It’s real nice to have her back,” teammate Lindsay Eastwood said. “She’s a puck magnet on the defensive end, she’s always blocking shots. I think that’s something that we definitely missed out of her last year, and it’s nice to have that back.”

The concussion Derrer suffered last year was the first she had ever been diagnosed with. Debbie was in the stands in Bemidji, Minnesota when it happened and said it looked like “nothing major.” She didn’t fall to the ice. Debbie didn’t think anything was wrong until an hour after the game when Derrer told her mom she had suffered a concussion.

Flanagan remembers seeing Derrer skate into the crease and get hit with an elbow. Her neck whipped back, he said.

According to a 2015 study by the American Physical Therapy Association, women hockey players suffer concussions at the third-highest rate among college athletes. Women’s hockey had a concussion rate of 7.52 per 10,000 athlete exposures, behind men’s hockey and men’s wrestling.

In the two months after Derrer suffered the concussion, her condition was not improving. Her mother “pulled lots of strings” to get an appointment with Dr. Jeffrey Kutcher, a leading neurologist in Brighton, Michigan, Debbie said.

Derrer spent two days at Dr. Jeffery Kutcher’s Sports Neurology Clinic, undergoing a series of evaluations including neuro-psych exams, exertional activities, vision tests and a CT scan, Debbie said. Kutcher is known for unorthodox treatment methods with athletes recovering from brain injuries and post-concussion syndrome.

“I tried so hard to get back so many times,” Derrer said. “After (team doctors) told me I was done, that’s when I gave up, kind of. Then my mom got me to (Dr. Kutcher), and after seeing him, he gave me hope that I could play again.”

Eradicating concussions from such a fast and spontaneous sport is impossible, Flanagan said, but the coaching and medical staff have tried to prevent head injuries by teaching proper skating posture and introducing neck-strengthening exercises.

“Keep your head up and have an awareness around the boards,” Flanagan said he teaches young players. “But there’s always those unperceived circumstances or plays when somebody comes out of nowhere. You hear, ‘I was blindsided.’ That, you just try to teach kids that in every area with traffic, keep your knees bent and have good posture.”

Although her concussion was scary, Derrer said it hasn’t changed the way she played, and she continues to be one of the most physical skaters on the team.

“She doesn’t play timid at all, though,” her teammate Anonda Hoppner said. “She’s in there, she’ll play you on the boards, she’ll hit you. It’s great.”

Derrer leads the team in blocks with 25, and the next closest is Lauren Bellefontaine (18). She scored her only goal of the season in one of SU’s two wins against Lindenwood.

Though Derrer’s now symptom-free, her teammates still can’t help but wince when she absorbs or initiates contact on the boards.

“If she goes into the corner,” Eastwood said, “or like a pretty hard battle in the corner, you’re like, ‘Ugh, don’t hit her head.’ You get a little nervous. That goes for anyone, but knowing her history with concussions, you know you wouldn’t want that to happen again, especially to her.”

Although her concussion forced her to change her plans, Derrer’s passion for hockey led her back to Syracuse for one final season of blocking shots and delivering hits along the boards.

She out-hustles and defends physically. That’s the only way she knows.

Dakota Derrer’s ‘really bad concussion’ upended her academic and hockey plans
Read more: http://dailyorange.com/2018/11/251550/
greybeard58

Joe Rogan

Post by greybeard58 »

WARNING YOU TUBE VIDEO CONTAINS VULGAR LANGUAGE. IF THIS OFFENDS YOU DO NOT OPEN LINK!!

Substitute hockey for Lacrosse video is about 20 minutes as the warning states there is a lot of swearing be warned!!!

Joe Rogan - CTE In Highschool Sports
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6URXF- ... e=youtu.be
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

One of the more concerning risks may be ALS, Lou Gehrig’s disease, it is always terminal. The rate among football players exceeds the rate of the general public......football players are nearly always male and ALS affects men more than women....that deserves further study without a doubt.
greybeard58

"You’re not just the custodian of your game

Post by greybeard58 »

"You’re not just the custodian of your game. You’re the custodian of those who play the game."

'We have a concussion problem' in Canada, Ken Dryden will say at a hearing tomorrow.

There “is plenty of awareness. The problem is sports decision-makers who don’t take this awareness, and act.”

Example: Why are head hits legal? Because the NHL says so.

Dryden: “This isn’t about somebody just disappearing from your TV screen for 10 days or two weeks. This is [about] what it’s like to live with depression, anxiety, memory problems, problems of dealing with anger… let alone things like CTE or other neurological conditions…”

“...And so then what do you do? You’re not just the custodian of your game. You’re the custodian of those who play the game. So what is your game plan?”

Former NHL hockey player and politician to testify at concussion committee | Power & Politics
Watch video at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GVmfEh ... e=youtu.be
greybeard58

Re: concussions 1000 + articles

Post by greybeard58 »

click on link to view images

UCLA biologists have discovered how head injuries adversely affect individual cells and genes that can lead to serious brain disorders. The life scientists provide the first cell “atlas” of the hippocampus — the part of the brain that helps regulate learning and memory — when it is affected by traumatic brain injury. The team also proposes gene candidates for treating brain diseases associated with traumatic brain injury, such as Alzheimer’s disease and post-traumatic stress disorder.

The researchers studied more than 6,000 cells in 15 hippocampal cell types — the first study of individual cell types subject to brain trauma. Each cell has the same DNA, but which genes are activated varies among different cell types. Among the 15 cell types are two that were previously unknown, each with a unique set of active genes.

“Every cell type is different,” said Fernando Gomez-Pinilla, a UCLA professor of neurosurgery and of integrative biology and physiology, and co-senior author of the study, which was published in the journal Nature Communications.

The biologists found that hundreds of genes are adversely affected by mild traumatic brain injury, such as a concussion. These altered genes can later lead to Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s and other diseases.

The researchers reproduced a concussion-like brain injury in mice, and studied other mice that did not receive a brain injury. The researchers analyzed thousands of cells in the hippocampus of both groups of mice. Among their findings:

The mice without an injury had very low levels in 14 of the 15 cell types of a gene called Ttr that regulates metabolism, controls thyroid hormones and performs other functions. Brain trauma increased the level of Ttr in essentially all of the cell types, the researchers found. They concluded Ttr is important to brain health and may function to bring more thyroid hormone to the brain to maintain metabolism. A thyroid hormone called T4 was injected in mice. T4 improved traumatic brain injury-induced learning deficits and reversed changes in 93 genes that affect learning and memory. This reversal in damage caused by traumatic brain injury is a major new finding. After brain injury, metabolism is substantially reduced. The biologists think T4 may “reboot” metabolism.
Researchers found evidence that at least 12 of 15 cell types are negatively affected by brain trauma, some more strongly than others.
The researchers were able to see how genes that have been linked to Alzheimer’s disease acted within different cell types, providing new details about where these genes act when they are affected by brain trauma. “We are learning which cell types we may want to target in future research,” said Xia Yang, a senior author of the study and a UCLA associate professor of integrative biology and physiology. “Maybe Alzheimer’s disease-related genes do not have to be active in all different cell types.”
For the first time, the biologists found several genes that are affected by traumatic brain injury, which has recently been linked to neurotic behavior in humans. Traumatic brain injury has been associated with depression, anxiety and schizophrenia. This research could lead to new treatments for these conditions.
Injury to the brain can lead to what is known as post-traumatic epilepsy. The researchers found a gene that could serve as a potential target for treating this kind of epilepsy.
Traumatic brain injury causes changes in how cells communicate with one another (see image).

Douglas Arneson/UCLA
Traumatic brain injury causes changes in how cells communicate with one another. This image shows which cell types are communicating with other cell types (different colors represent different cell types). The left image shows the control group of mice and the right image shows the mice with the brain injury.
“Knowing which genes in which cells are changing in a particular person can lead to the right treatment for that person,” said Yang, who is a member of UCLA’s Institute for Quantitative and Computational Biology.

Gomez-Pinilla, who also is a member of UCLA’s Brain Injury Research Center, describes the new research as an advance in precision medicine, which holds the promise of individualized treatments for diseases.

►Read about a 2017 study by Yang, Gomez-Pinilla and colleagues identifying master genes that control other genes linked to Alzheimer’s and other disorders.

►Read about a 2016 study by Yang, Gomez-Pinilla and colleagues finding that fructose alters hundreds of brain genes.

Co-authors of the study are Douglas Arneson, lead author and a graduate student in Yang’s laboratory; Guanglin Zhang, Zhe Ying and Yumei Zhuang, who are research scientists in Gomez-Pinilla’s laboratory; Hyae Ran Byun, a former postdoctoral scholar in Gomez-Pinilla’s laboratory; and In Sook Ahn, a research scientist in Yang’s laboratory.

Yang and Gomez-Pinilla’s research is funded by the National Institutes of Health. Arneson’s research is funded by a Hyde Fellowship and the National Cancer Institute.

UCLA cell study reveals how head injuries lead to serious brain diseases
http://newsroom.ucla.edu/releases/ucla- ... n-diseases
greybeard58

Post by greybeard58 »

This is what it's like to care for someone with dementia
https://www.businessinsider.com/caring- ... ia-2018-11