2009 State Tournament

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Joethehockeydad

Post by Joethehockeydad »

Defense............really?? I do not think you speak for many of us at all when you say "we all know in hockey that the difference in A and AA is not that big a deal anyway." Class A is apprx. maybe 5 (in a good year) deep when it comes to Top 25 in the state, and you say that is not a big deal??
Those few teams are the ONLY ones that can skate with the Top 25 AA teams and will absolutely dominate all others in the Class A tourney.
defense

Post by defense »

Joethehockeydad wrote:Defense............really?? I do not think you speak for many of us at all when you say "we all know in hockey that the difference in A and AA is not that big a deal anyway." Class A is apprx. maybe 5 (in a good year) deep when it comes to Top 25 in the state, and you say that is not a big deal??
Those few teams are the ONLY ones that can skate with the Top 25 AA teams and will absolutely dominate all others in the Class A tourney.
In your opinion.....to each his own...
warriors41

Post by warriors41 »

royals dad wrote:
Ms. Conduct wrote:I was under the impression that the Tournament split into two classes based on the size of the school. Are people more in favor of trying to create "A" teams and "B" teams like youth hockey? Where's the fun in that?

I don't see why it should be such a problem with some of the top teams in the state staying in Class A as long as they make a good effort to play a tough non-conference schedule. At the moment, some do, some don't; tough luck to those who don't approve.
I always thought the split was more about giving more schools a chance to experience the state tournament and not so much just about school size. This concept is more like A and B at the youth level. If it is just about school size why let anyone opt up. Right now you have class A teams that could compete against any class AA schools. How is that an improvement on the one class tourney. Did they really break up into two just so Blake and Warroad could fill up thier trophy cases? IMO If there are class A perenial powers they should be moved up to AA and let some one else skate at the X.
This is only Warroad's second appearence at the big show. I understand that they have been a top of the line team, especially the last 5-6 years, but they don't even have one in the "trophy case" yet. After they win one or two this issue can be revisited but not yet. The girls hockey team has showed this year that htey could play witht the best in the state, no matter what class. The Warroad boys team i don't could do this so I would be more favorable for the girls opting up than i normally am. But they should wait until they the win at least one championship
hockeyrube7

Post by hockeyrube7 »

defense wrote:
Joethehockeydad wrote:Defense............really?? I do not think you speak for many of us at all when you say "we all know in hockey that the difference in A and AA is not that big a deal anyway." Class A is apprx. maybe 5 (in a good year) deep when it comes to Top 25 in the state, and you say that is not a big deal??
In your opinion.....to each his own...
In many opinions I would say. I'll take that one step further, usually A has maybe 2 or 3 deep, where AA is somewhere around 15 deep or more. On the other hand one might make an arguement that Farmington went from taking 2nd in A one year to 4th in AA the next year. Unfortunately in both A and AA there tends to be multiple highly ranked teams all in the same section, on both sides.
uofmhedfan23

Post by uofmhedfan23 »

The Minnesota Sports Broadcast Network will be broadcasting the ENTIRE Championship Bracket of the 2009 Girls State Hockey Tournament for both Class A & AA online at http://MnSportsNetwork.com. MSBN will have coverage of more tournament games than any other media outlet in the state for this tournament, so if you are interested in following along LIVE with the 2009 Girls State Hockey Tournament http://MnSportsNetwork.com is your home. Check out the MSBN Full Schedule for complete details.

2/25/2009 - ALL 4 CLASS A QUARTERFINALS
2/26/2009 - ALL 4 CLASS AA QUARTERFINALS
2/27/2009 - ALL 4 SEMIFINALS - CLASS A & AA
2/28/2009 - THE CLASS A CHAMPIONSHIP & CLASS AA CHAMPIONSHIP

http://MnSportsNetwork.com
You're listening to HS hockey on MSBN
ghshockeyfan

Post by ghshockeyfan »

FWIW - KRACH ranks all the teams in the state in a way that allows comparison of A and AA. KRACH assumes the average team (team ranked #62 of 124 total teams) is rated with a value of 10. So what? Well, only 13 of 56 teams in A have a rating value higher than 10 (better than the average - in the top half in the state) whereas 49 of 68 AA teams are > 10. See this list:

http://www.bgoski.com/RANK_OA.htm

and...

For AA:
49 of 68 > 10 rating (72% better than average)
http://www.bgoski.com/RANK_AA.htm

and...

For A:
13 of 56 > 10 rating (23% better than average)
http://www.bgoski.com/RANK_A.htm

I'd say this shows that AA and A are not equal. Are there a select few A teams that could make the top AA ranking? Yes - but you could likely count them on one hand and they are usually the same teams each year - Blake, Breck, Warroad, Roseau, and maybe Crookston over the past 2-3 years (Warroad & Blake longer I'd say - maybe off & on over the past 5+ years).
GOCARDS1

Post by GOCARDS1 »

id have to throw alexandria in there .. :)
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Ten things to know about the girls' hockey state tournament
Last update: February 24, 2009 - 11:49 PM

http://www.startribune.com/sports/preps ... anchO7DiUr
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

North spotlight: Irondale girls' hockey sees failures as things of past
By DAVID La VAQUE, Star Tribune
Last update: February 25, 2009 - 8:02 AM

"Irondale casts aside history: a breakthrough, not a breakdown."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/preps ... page=1&c=y
State Champ 97

Post by State Champ 97 »

Warroad and Hutchinson got the tourny off to a blistering start. Well, at least Warroad did.
1st Period Scoring
GOAL Warriors - #20 Brook Story :11
GOAL Warriors - #20 Brook Story 2:09
GOAL Warriors - #5 Lisa Marvin 6:43
ASSIST #7 Jane Astrup
GOAL Warriors - #6 Lindsay Goulet 9:47
ASSIST #9 Brianna Goulet, #16 Kayla Gardner
GOAL Warriors - #17 Beth Olson 14:33
ASSIST #5 Lisa Marvin, #10 Hannah Johnston
GOAL Warriors - #13 Layla Marvin 15:17
ASSIST #16 Kayla Gardner
hockeygroupie

Post by hockeygroupie »

State Champ 97 wrote:Warroad and Hutchinson got the tourny off to a blistering start. Well, at least Warroad did.
1st Period Scoring
ASSIST #7 Jane Astrup
ASSIST #16 Kayla Gardner
Something, just doesn't seem right here?
mnhkylvr

Post by mnhkylvr »

hockeygroupie wrote:
State Champ 97 wrote:Warroad and Hutchinson got the tourny off to a blistering start. Well, at least Warroad did.
1st Period Scoring
ASSIST #7 Jane Astrup
ASSIST #16 Kayla Gardner
ya think??? I bet Hutch is having fun.
Sharkman

Post by Sharkman »

mnhkylvr wrote:
hockeygroupie wrote:
1st Period Scoring
ASSIST #7 Jane Astrup
ASSIST #16 Kayla Gardner
ya think??? I bet Hutch is having fun.
Now you know how our state leader stat board is so....... Up.

Warroad or any top fifteen team. Would have players with 300 + Points.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

You can read a summary of each period as they are completed by going here:

http://blogs2.startribune.com/blogs/preps/
Bensonmum

Post by Bensonmum »

It's probably not a huge deal, but the Warroad/Hutch game is an embarrassment for Girls' hockey. Hadn't we thought we were beyond this kind of mismatch at the State Tournament? For those who don't follow Girls' hockey, which is pretty much everybody, when seeing a state tournament score like this they must figure the game's in the shape it was in 1998 instead of 2008.
Something's gotta give in Class A. Do we need to go back to 4 teams and make sure Blake, Breck, Warroad and Roseau are all in different sections?Or is there a way to manage the classes without strict dependence on enrollment numbers? Like if you have a goal differential of more than +10 in a state tournament game you have to move up to AA the next year.
hockeya1a

Post by hockeya1a »

Bensonmum wrote:It's probably not a huge deal, but the Warroad/Hutch game is an embarrassment for Girls' hockey. Hadn't we thought we were beyond this kind of mismatch at the State Tournament? For those who don't follow Girls' hockey, which is pretty much everybody, when seeing a state tournament score like this they must figure the game's in the shape it was in 1998 instead of 2008.
Something's gotta give in Class A. Do we need to go back to 4 teams and make sure Blake, Breck, Warroad and Roseau are all in different sections?Or is there a way to manage the classes without strict dependence on enrollment numbers? Like if you have a goal differential of more than +10 in a state tournament game you have to move up to AA the next year.
Hutch looks to have had good and bad games all year.
I think the goaltending has been up and down for them,
they beat AHA one game and lose the next time very inconsistent.
nmnhockeydad

Post by nmnhockeydad »

I have grown a bit tired of the bashings of the underdogs of the state tournament. Everyone of these teams bust their butts all year with the hope of making it to the State Tournament. Well then you ask how fair is it to Roseau (I use Roseau as an example but you could put any highly ranked team here) when a lesser quality team comes down to the show and gets beat badly. Get over it! Win your section and get to the tournament. It is not set up for #2 to go, so win and you reap the rewards. Just in case anyone thinks that I am a parent of one of the teams that made it, I am a parent of a team that was highly ranked and didn't make it. Still would not want to see it any other way.
brookyone

Post by brookyone »

nmnhockeydad wrote:I have grown a bit tired of the bashings of the underdogs of the state tournament. Everyone of these teams bust their butts all year with the hope of making it to the State Tournament. Well then you ask how fair is it to Roseau (I use Roseau as an example but you could put any highly ranked team here) when a lesser quality team comes down to the show and gets beat badly. Get over it! Win your section and get to the tournament. It is not set up for #2 to go, so win and you reap the rewards. Just in case anyone thinks that I am a parent of one of the teams that made it, I am a parent of a team that was highly ranked and didn't make it. Still would not want to see it any other way.
Good post.
hockeyfan#4

Post by hockeyfan#4 »

brookyone wrote:
nmnhockeydad wrote:I have grown a bit tired of the bashings of the underdogs of the state tournament. Everyone of these teams bust their butts all year with the hope of making it to the State Tournament. Well then you ask how fair is it to Roseau (I use Roseau as an example but you could put any highly ranked team here) when a lesser quality team comes down to the show and gets beat badly. Get over it! Win your section and get to the tournament. It is not set up for #2 to go, so win and you reap the rewards. Just in case anyone thinks that I am a parent of one of the teams that made it, I am a parent of a team that was highly ranked and didn't make it. Still would not want to see it any other way.
Good post.
I agree great statement!!! And congratulations to all the TEAMS in the tournament!
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

A touch of tournament magic

Red Wing's victory was inspired by a fiery between-periods speech and a win-one-for-an-ailing-teammate spirit.
Star Tribune
Last update: February 25, 2009 - 10:58 PM

http://www.startribune.com/sports/preps ... anchO7DiUr
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

In blowout, both teams find things to appreciate

Blake discovered room for improvement; New Ulm savored the state experience.
By Dean Spiros, Star Tribune
Last update: February 25, 2009 - 10:24 PM

http://www.startribune.com/sports/preps ... iUiacyKUUr
RSI

Post by RSI »

MNHockeyFan wrote:In blowout, both teams find things to appreciate

Blake discovered room for improvement; New Ulm savored the state experience.
By Dean Spiros, Star Tribune
Last update: February 25, 2009 - 10:24 PM

http://www.startribune.com/sports/preps ... iUiacyKUUr
The irony....a team who is perceived to run up the score gets beat by 9 in the State Tourney
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Slominski shares state memories
By Tim Leighton
Updated 02/25/2009 11:59:05 PM CST

http://www.twincities.com/prep/ci_11787033
DHMN

Post by DHMN »

Hopefully those heading to The X from Cloquet (CEC) make it down and back safe.. I got down to Barnum (about 25 minutes south for those who don't know,) and decided it wasn't a good idea to try and make it down and make it back home by 7 pm. The blowing snow and one lane of traffic made visibility almost impossible, and with the heavy snow forecast south of Moose Lake, decided it was a better idea to turn around and catch the game on the radio or the online radio broadcast.
Nostalgic Nerd

Post by Nostalgic Nerd »

MNHockeyFan wrote:Slominski shares state memories
By Tim Leighton
Updated 02/25/2009 11:59:05 PM CST

http://www.twincities.com/prep/ci_11787033
She was a fiesty one during her time as a player. I only saw her play once, and she didn't take to losing too well in the Roseville championship game.

What year did the girls go to a two-tier tournament?
I can splash in the rink puddles!