Biggest rivalries

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

The biggest rivalry

Orono v.s. Mound
5%
Hill Murray v.s. WBL
46%
Blake v.s. Breck
27%
Edina v.s. St. Louis Park
2%
or Rochester Century v.s. Rochester John Marshall
21%

Total votes: 63

fivehole628

Biggest rivalries

Post by fivehole628 »

Who has the biggest rivalries in high school hockey?

(Oh on the poll I forgot Bloomington Jefferson v.s. Bloomington Kennedy)
HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher »

Just to comment on that. There's a difference between a school rivalry and one in a specific sport. CDH/STA is without a doubt the biggest rivalry in the state, but probably not really one in hockey yet. Just as I'm sure there is a Kennedy Jefferson one, but probably not so much in hockey I'm guessing.
i'mGettin50

Post by i'mGettin50 »

how does orono and mound get on that list. i think you just make topics to make topics. stop trying so hard
MNRinkRat

Rivalry

Post by MNRinkRat »

Hockey-Cloquet against Duluth East
east hockey
Site Admin

Re: Rivalry

Post by east hockey »

MNRinkRat wrote:Hockey-Cloquet against Duluth East
Basically, every rivalry north of the Twin Cities seems to have been forgotten in the poll. Hey, maybe when I woke up this morning the international border had shifted about 200 miles south. Great...now we're Canadiens up here, eh? :lol:

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
Dickie Dunn

What???

Post by Dickie Dunn »

Crimany Sakes..School Rivalry...Oh Goodness boys...All those you listed are small potatos compared to Roseau - Warroad as a school rivalry it may be THE biggest one on the ice bar none but doesn't matter how good each other are in any other sports. If you don't beat them whatever place you live you can't call it a totally successful season. Whether it be on the gridiron, volleyball court, the diamond or the links you lose it lasts a lifetime. You metro boys think Minnesota sports revolve around you... [-(
"I was trying to capture the spirit of the thing"
wildhckyfan14

Post by wildhckyfan14 »

So White Bear vs. Hill is small potatoes? I really don't think so, it is one of the biggest rivalries in state, FSN is airing their game, last year it was the first game they aired and the build up they had was incredible. Warroad and Roseau don't have the possibility of playing in the section finals do they? You say that people from the metro think high school hockey revolves around us but read what you just wrote, people from the north have their biases so let's agree to disagree for northern hockey the biggest rivalry is Warroad vs. Roseau and for the Metro it's White Bear vs. Hill.
Neutron 14

Post by Neutron 14 »

To all northern posters:

Sometimes I understand why you call us Citiots. This is one of those times.

Forest Lake is "Up North" to some of these people.
Dickie Dunn

Did I stutter?

Post by Dickie Dunn »

I believe I said small potatos...If you can trace back your HS rivalry on the ice to pre-WWI then maybe: until then...=;
"I was trying to capture the spirit of the thing"
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Dick is right.
Warroad - Roseau

but
Greenway of Coleraine and Grand Rapids.
Virginia and Eveleth.
East Grand Forks and Crookston.
Just about any IRC or Mariucci Conference game is a huge rivalry.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Any of the five given as a choice may make the top fifty rivalries, but not much higher.
State Champ 97

Post by State Champ 97 »

The reason Hill vs WBL was scheduled first was yes it is a good rivalry. It also is metro so less travel time for TV crews trying something new and wondering if it will work, and they ae big schools with tradition. There are great rivalries up here in the North too. Not as many big schools but from the Iron Range to East Grand Forks and Baudette to St. Cloud not all big schools, not all going to state, but great rivalries just the same. I would guess the folks South and West of M/SP would say the same.
Rinkman

Post by Rinkman »

State Champ 97 wrote: I would guess the folks South and West of M/SP would say the same.
Yes, for 9 man football.
State Champ 97

Post by State Champ 97 »

There must be some rivalries between the schools in Rochester and Mankato areas. What about some of the smaller towns outside St. CLoud?
Neutron 14

Post by Neutron 14 »

elliott70 wrote:Any of the five given as a choice may make the top fifty rivalries, but not much higher.
I think if you saw Hill/WB play at Aldrich you might reconsider.

Big Arena, always SRO.

Vicious game.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Okay I will give you one in the top twenty.
wildhckyfan14

Post by wildhckyfan14 »

If you were also at the Section 3AA Championship game last year you would also have to reconsider, I had to drive back from Bemidji to catch that one and it was worth it even though WBL didn't win it was still an amazing game.

I don't know how any of those other 4 teams made the list in the poll but WBL vs. Hill definitely deserved to be mentioned as a huge rivalry.
gutcheck00

Post by gutcheck00 »

Little Falls vs. Fergus Falls is a very big rivalry year in and year out
gordon

WARROAD VS. ROSEAU

Post by gordon »

by far the best rivalry outside college's footballs Ohio State vs. Michigan. warroad and roseau boys hockey rivalry starts way back in mites.
fivehole628

Re: WARROAD VS. ROSEAU

Post by fivehole628 »

I never said I would list all of them I just put some names on the table
boblee

Post by boblee »

The northern rivalries are just as good, if not better than the ones you listed.
goalieguy9

Post by goalieguy9 »

for the man that was asking for St. Cloud area rivalries, Sauk Rapids and Sartell is really big in all sports and hockey is getting better. Same with Tech and Apollo even though it hasnt been very competitive recently.
-Dynasty-
RLStars

Post by RLStars »

goalieguy9 wrote:for the man that was asking for St. Cloud area rivalries, Sauk Rapids and Sartell is really big in all sports and hockey is getting better. Same with Tech and Apollo even though it hasnt been very competitive recently.
Another big one for two communities in Central Minnesota is River Lakes and Willmar in hockey with New London/Spicer and Willmar in most other boys sports. The hockey rivalry starts in squirts and builds to bursting by High School. Isn't that right, Card4life?
whockeyguy

Post by whockeyguy »

Willmar- River lakes, you got to be kidding me, if anybody in Willmar thinks that is big they must have their head looked at , Maybe River lakes thinks its big cause their coaches are graduates of Willmar, but i can gaurentee nobody with an ounce of hockey sense considers this anything of a rivilary
Walter Sojack

Post by Walter Sojack »

I believe the Breck vs. Blake rivalry was listed in the top 50 of sports illustrated's top 50 high school rivalries. I'll try to find the exact number.
I'm finishing my coffee