Section 1A

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

nutsbouthockey10

Post by nutsbouthockey10 »

northfield is losing a total of 3 seniors, the only big loss will be pumper on defense but return the main core of their team including the goalie ellingson, defense returns docken, forwards dyrdahl, saari and the whole second and third line. you got to throw them in the mix. they will be the surprise of 1a next year gaurenteed
shooter111

Post by shooter111 »

Northfield will be 4th at best next year. Obviously, the biggest loss is, yes, Pumper. They may return the core of the team, but what did that core do last year? Not much. And what are they gaining? Also not much.
hockeydad

New Prague moved to 1A

Post by hockeydad »

The MSHSL web site now lists New Prague as being in Section 1A. The move to Class A was expected because New Prague has been moving for two years to drop the cooperative sponsorship with Montgomery-Lonsdale. the only question was what section they would they put them.

New Prague would have been a strong contender in this section this year, but they lose some good players and their goalie. They have a lot of scoring back, though. Where do people see them fitting in?
bugsy

Post by bugsy »

New Prague is a good fit in this section. No one will have a cakewalk to the X. I see 5-6 teams that could come out of here.
RW
Lourdes
West
NP
AL
Far, Northfield
No particular order to this list
Super Fan

Post by Super Fan »

Here is how it will be plain and simple

1. AL
2. Lourdes or Red Wing
3. Red Wing or Lourdes
4. New Prague
5. Faribault
6. Northfield
and who cares about the rest.
Super Fan

Post by Super Fan »

Albert Lea is graduating 8 seniors you people are right on that issue. But we have a good supporting cast from this past year returning. We have 2 senior goalies that are returning, we have not to mention a bunch of guys in Woodside, Bowman and others that have gone to state 2 times before. Don't forget we have represented Section 1A in state 3 out of the last 4 years. So give us the respect we deserve. We will be going to state again this upcoming year as well too.
Last edited by Super Fan on Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bugsy

Post by bugsy »

Super Fan wrote:Albert Lea is graduating 8 seniors you people are right on that issue. But we have a good supporting cast from this past year returning. We have 2 senior goalies that are returning, we have not to mention a bunch of guys in Woodside, Bowman and others that have gone to state 2 times before. Don't forget we have represented Section 1A in state 3 out of the last 4 years. So give us the respect we deserve. We will be going to stae again this upcoming year as well too.
I would bet anything that Al will not win 1A next year. Good "SUPPORTING' cast returning. Who will be their go to guys like Walton was this year. Here was the heart and soul of that team.
shooter111

Post by shooter111 »

There's no way AL will win the section next year. Plain and simple.

But, now that New Prague is there, it will become a little more interesting. They will face RW and Northfield twice as they're all in the Missota, so any section game any of them play against each other will be a sort of 'rivalry' game. Games like those can go either way.

With that addition, i see it more like this.

1. Red Wing
2. Lourdes
3. New Prague
4. Albert Lea
5. West
6. Northfield
etc.
hockeydad

Post by hockeydad »

I have not followed Red Wing as closely the last two years as in the past. What about them makes them the favorite. Do they have a lot of scoring returning? I know Droogsma graduates, what do they have for goaltending?

I'm pretty sure NP has won or split the season series from RW three of the last four years.
futureeagle

Post by futureeagle »

This is going to maek next year even better with the addition of another good team. Here are my new picks:

1. Lourdes
2. Rw, Np
3.Rw, Np
4.West
5.Northfield
6 Al
7 on down who cares
bigbabyblue

Post by bigbabyblue »

umm...woodside,royce,bowman will be like walton next year also them 3 guys were in the top 4 in scoring for AL this year... also AL has more scoring coming back than what they lost also their tender ben waalkens back and many others will be back so do not count them out as well as do not count the other 4 teams out ... lourdes, west,NP,NF,RW

AL will not end up 6th alright they will be 1 or 2 or 3 in section definately not 4,5,6
Super Fan

Post by Super Fan »

The addition of Red Wing, Northfield, New Prague and Faribault will absolutley make it more competitive. However bigbabyblue is right we have have ourselves a good returning cast for this upcoming season and you people who think we will finish 4, 5, or six should might as well go jump out the window.
futureeagle

Post by futureeagle »

what is up with helgeson what is he doing next year???

And lets be realistic here albert lea lost the heart and soul of there team marky walton made up for his size with heart now i dont see anybody on the team that can fill his shoes yes woodside has talent but he is selfish and takes to amny penalties might have lost them that game against warroad then bowman yes he is good dont know much about him then royce good but from what i hear from people i know on the team he is also selfish an all for himself this team has the talent but they dont have that center piece that is holding them together like they had in marky walton last year they will be 4th 5th or 6th
golfreak

Post by golfreak »

futureeagle wrote:And lets be realistic here albert lea lost the heart and soul of there team marky walton made up for his size with heart now i dont see anybody on the team that can fill his shoes yes woodside has talent but he is selfish and takes to amny penalties might have lost them that game against warroad then bowman yes he is good dont know much about him then royce good but from what i hear from people i know on the team he is also selfish an all for himself this team has the talent but they dont have that center piece that is holding them together like they had in marky walton last year they will be 4th 5th or 6th

It's called coaching. Roy and his staff must know something. 3 out of 4 years up at the X is a real feat. There is no doubt that Roy and his staff will hold this group together. Woodside will be one of, if not the best player in this section. He is smart and makes the right play with the puck. He also plays defense very well. Some guys are going to have to step up and prove themselves on the blueline. They lose #13 and #2. #20 and #9 saw quite a bit of action and they will have to find someone else somewhere to be their #5. Waalkens will be all-conference next year.

I would have to put this team in the top 4 of the section with Lourdes, Red Wing, and New Prague.
shooter111

Post by shooter111 »

hockeydad wrote:I have not followed Red Wing as closely the last two years as in the past. What about them makes them the favorite. Do they have a lot of scoring returning? I know Droogsma graduates, what do they have for goaltending?

I'm pretty sure NP has won or split the season series from RW three of the last four years.
Red Wing returns all lines but the blue? line, which was all seniors. The thing is, Nemanich doesnt number his lines, so any one line could be better than the others.

They return most of their leading scorers in Kesti, Schammel, Halvorson and Bergeson. Goaltending will be a weak point, they have the back up from last year returning, but he didn't get much time behind Droogsma. Scoring wont be tough for them, the D gets a little weak losing Knapp and Lang but other than that, it will probably be the goaltending that weakens them unless the two coming up improve.

As for the NP series, if anything, its very close.
futureeagle

Post by futureeagle »

Coach Roy is a GREAT coach and i beleive that they will have a DECENT season but woodside is just a headcase you stick one person on him the whole game just pestering him and he wi ll be in the box most of the night now royce could become the leader of this team but from what i said before people on the team beleive he is a selfish palyer and i dont know much about bowman so those are what i have to say just saying that this team will have a decent season is going out on a limb.
Super Fan

Post by Super Fan »

futureeagle wrote:Coach Roy is a GREAT coach and i beleive that they will have a DECENT season but woodside is just a headcase you stick one person on him the whole game just pestering him and he wi ll be in the box most of the night now royce could become the leader of this team but from what i said before people on the team beleive he is a selfish palyer and i dont know much about bowman so those are what i have to say just saying that this team will have a decent season is going out on a limb.
You obviously haven't ever been to an Albert Lea hockey game. Woodside didn't cost us that game against Warroad the second goal Bowman was tripped on and the ref missed or decided not to call a penalty. And Woodside also was the MVP in the Section 1A tournament putting in 3 on New Ulm and a total of 6 overall not to mention he scored the game winning goal on Rochester Mayo in overtime. Mayo supposedly had the best goalie in the Big 9 too. Another thing is that Roy is best coach in the Big 9 and in Section 1A undoubtably. And yes Mark Walton will be missed along with all of the other Seniors that are about to graduate as well. Stop being negative, stop making fun of AL hockey, and don't diss any of the players or coaches as well.
bigbabyblue

Post by bigbabyblue »

AL will be just fine the coaches will adapt to what the team needs, also jonny breuer was the heart for many years and then marky walton took that role just like it will be next year someone or a few people will pick up that role and they will be just fine.... i guarantee by next season if you watch AL you will see that Woodside is not selfish and or a HEADCASE seriously thats a joke you act like all his penalties are retaliations or something wow... also royce selfish?? he takes a great amount of shots from the point which thats why he had 51 points last season (that is a great amount of points for a defensemen) ... bowman is a strong hockey player with a great shot who put up a good amount of points this year as he will next year... also if I recall a bunch of people on hear 2-3-4-5 months ago were ragging on Walton saying he is a headcase and what not and sits in the box a lot... also saying how if he gets hit or cheap shoted he just will head hunt and what not... so now people are saying Walton the head case was heart and sole hmm... which he always was the heart and sole!!...so your saying the same thing about these players as you did walton so we will see about these 3 players next year and at the end of the season you will be calling them the heart and sole
futureeagle

Post by futureeagle »

Super Fan wrote:
futureeagle wrote:Coach Roy is a GREAT coach and i beleive that they will have a DECENT season but woodside is just a headcase you stick one person on him the whole game just pestering him and he wi ll be in the box most of the night now royce could become the leader of this team but from what i said before people on the team beleive he is a selfish palyer and i dont know much about bowman so those are what i have to say just saying that this team will have a decent season is going out on a limb.
You obviously haven't ever been to an Albert Lea hockey game. Woodside didn't cost us that game against Warroad the second goal Bowman was tripped on and the ref missed or decided not to call a penalty. And Woodside also was the MVP in the Section 1A tournament putting in 3 on New Ulm and a total of 6 overall not to mention he scored the game winning goal on Rochester Mayo in overtime. Mayo supposedly had the best goalie in the Big 9 too. Another thing is that Roy is best coach in the Big 9 and in Section 1A undoubtably. And yes Mark Walton will be missed along with all of the other Seniors that are about to graduate as well. Stop being negative, stop making fun of AL hockey, and don't diss any of the players or coaches as well.
I wasnt making fun of your coaches i actually meant that Roy is a Great coahc i was just caps locking them so you would knwo this you obviously took it the wrong way and yes i have been to an albert lea game i have played against them my whole life and i am always playing against woodside and from what i have learned playing against him is that when you bump him against the boards or do anything like that he will come back at you with the intention not to hurt you but to get you back even if it costs him a penalty and i know he is this way i have played against him since my first year of pee wees
universaldegreaser

Just my thoughts

Post by universaldegreaser »

Ok there are two teams here that are getting overlooked and one team that is very overrated.

First off, West, they return their top line, an AMAZING top line; Litchifield, Lieverman and Anderson, they combined for 150+ points this year. They also return a handful of guys with points in double digits. Goalie will be a question mark, do they have anyone that can fill their two seniors shoes?

Also overlooked, Faribault, They return their top line, also very good; Smuda, Pavek and Larson, combined for well over 100 points themselves. After this line the talent drops off, but they had a SOLID bantam team this year and if they can get those sophomores used to the high school level early, they will be in good shape. If they can keep Helgeson around for a year they will be even better. Once again, uncertain about their goalie.

I guess it isn't unanimous that AL we'll be at the top of the conference, mainly SuperDork thinks so, but I thought I'd say how ridiculous that really is. They graduate their top goalie, Mark Walton, and Dustin Arendt. I have no clue who else but other than this they have nobody. Maybe they had a strong JV team and some good skaters can come from there because their bantam team wasn't too great.

This will be quite the section next year, I'm already excited. I'm not saying West or Faribault will win it but they needed more light shed on them. It will be a tough road for anyone; with New prague, Lourdes and Red Wing It will be a tremendous section playoff next year.
bigbabyblue

Re: Just my thoughts

Post by bigbabyblue »

universaldegreaser wrote:Ok there are two teams here that are getting overlooked and one team that is very overrated.

First off, West, they return their top line, an AMAZING top line; Litchifield, Lieverman and Anderson, they combined for 150+ points this year. They also return a handful of guys with points in double digits. Goalie will be a question mark, do they have anyone that can fill their two seniors shoes?

Also overlooked, Faribault, They return their top line, also very good; Smuda, Pavek and Larson, combined for well over 100 points themselves. After this line the talent drops off, but they had a SOLID bantam team this year and if they can get those sophomores used to the high school level early, they will be in good shape. If they can keep Helgeson around for a year they will be even better. Once again, uncertain about their goalie.

I guess it isn't unanimous that AL we'll be at the top of the conference, mainly SuperDork thinks so, but I thought I'd say how ridiculous that really is. They graduate their top goalie, Mark Walton, and Dustin Arendt. I have no clue who else but other than this they have nobody. Maybe they had a strong JV team and some good skaters can come from there because their bantam team wasn't too great.

This will be quite the section next year, I'm already excited. I'm not saying West or Faribault will win it but they needed more light shed on them. It will be a tough road for anyone; with New prague, Lourdes and Red Wing It will be a tremendous section playoff next year.
for one this same faribault team didnt make it to districts 3 years ago in bantams... also no goaltending what so ever and Helgeson probably will leave... also they lose 8 seniors and 2 SENIOR GOALIES

west is being overlooked for sure no if ands or buts on that one they will be a contender...but will they have a good tender?!?!?!!!!

NF has never had anything against any of these teams growing up... again the loss of Morgan last year hurt them is their new tender decent?

NP will be good but they lose 11 seniors as well but a few good young players also lose a Senior goalie!....how is the Junior goalie?

Lourdes loses 8 seniors as well as AL and there TOP GOALIE Josh Crowley but a good sophomore line maybe this wont be there year but maybe if they stay around 08-09 season possibly there season... i no their other goaltenders are shaky...

AL has top 3 of 4 scoring leaders come back also they have a goalie who got a lot of playing time this year...

RW loses 7 Seniors including there goalie so you people act like AL is losing the most players which they are not everyone is losing around 7-8 seniors

WAIT WAIT WAIT...if you are from NU?!?!, isnt that funny a NU kid saying somebody else is a headcase coming from a NU player that blows my mind...NU=SPAZES!

p.s. i have to give you credit on superdork that was a good one haha
jackstraw

1a

Post by jackstraw »

This year's re-alignment quickly turned 1A into a very respectable section. What will be interesting next year is when seeding time comes. Due to contract's, it will be very hard for many of these teams to see eachother during the season. I'm pretty sure Far. or Lourdes will have the most head to head games between the top teams, those will be very important. I am guessing New Prague or Northfield will have the least section games. This makes for a tourney to look forward to. Alot of very early speculation here, I will sit on the fence and say there are 7 teams with a good shot. Of the things that have been brought up, I do have opinions on some; West has a very good Jr. goaltender, Lourdes will be very good and will get player's over the off-season, Red Wing's Jr.'s beat Roch to go to VFW state 2 bantam season's ago, New Prague will go as far as their goaltending, or lack there of, will take them, Woodside is not a headcase, just a hard nose player, and Faribault did have a very good bantam team last year, only 1 dist. 4 loss.... to Albert Lea.
davey

Re: 1a

Post by davey »

jackstraw wrote:This year's re-alignment quickly turned 1A into a very respectable section. What will be interesting next year is when seeding time comes. Due to contract's, it will be very hard for many of these teams to see eachother during the season. I'm pretty sure Far. or Lourdes will have the most head to head games between the top teams, those will be very important. I am guessing New Prague or Northfield will have the least section games. This makes for a tourney to look forward to. Alot of very early speculation here, I will sit on the fence and say there are 7 teams with a good shot. Of the things that have been brought up, I do have opinions on some; West has a very good Jr. goaltender, Lourdes will be very good and will get player's over the off-season, Red Wing's Jr.'s beat Roch to go to VFW state 2 bantam season's ago, New Prague will go as far as their goaltending, or lack there of, will take them, Woodside is not a headcase, just a hard nose player, and Faribault did have a very good bantam team last year, only 1 dist. 4 loss.... to Albert Lea.
Jackstaw. didn't West lose there top two goalies. Who is the goodd JR tender you say they have. I think that that may be the question mark for West
jackstraw

West

Post by jackstraw »

Bruggeman, he will do just fine.
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

Jackstraw brings up a great point about games; Albert Lea, West, East and Austin all have picked up games with Western teams to give them an advantage in the old 1A. Those games will now be nearly meaningless and a loss can only hurt and a win won't help as the new 1A teams should be expected to win games against Windom and Marshall plus you're not fighting with those teams for seedings anymore.

Lourdes lost a lot with Adoyfin graduating, but they should be better than last year, way too many individual head cases on this past team. JM became better when Amundson transferred to Lourdes and Lourdes was better when he was hurt, Haskins was in a losing situation this year and he should have a group of much more coachable kids this next year. They need to figure out how to play defense though to get by the Missota schools.

Everyone though Faribault was done after Pat Ryan and that group graduated too and though slim on numbers they've been good enough for a few years now and I don't expect that to drop off. If they lose Helgeson that will be a big blow, but 2 of their top 3 leading scorers are back in Pavek and Smuda. If Helgeson does come back they get 4 of their top 6 scorers returning. If Carron progresses like North and Markham did Faribault will be good.

West loses 2 goalies, Crambit and Johnson. Neither of their goalies were consistant last year and scoring shouldn't be an issue for them next year. Their schedule is going to hurt them a ton as they probably will have very few games against the kind of talent that they'll face in sections. AL, Austin, and Faribault all play the Rochester Public Schools twice, West only plays them once and replaces those games with Windom, Waseca, and LeSeuer. They'll need to do better than that this season.

Albert Lea is good every year and always seem to focus their season on improving towards the playoffs. Waalkens is decent and they have a good group returning, their downfall may be that they struggle every year at the Rec Center and that's probably where sections will be. Nystrom is a very good coach but so is Nemanich in Red Wing and Nemanich has a way of getting other teams to play his style of hockey.

An intersting thing to pay attention to come seeding time is how much respect the 3 Missota teams give the 5 Big Nine teams and visa versa. If a 1A Big Nine team wins their conference, and it looks like anyone of Century, Mayo, AL, West or Faribault could win the Big Nine, they'll get a #1 seed. If they don't win their conference then a team who finishes 2nd in the Missota will. Lourdes needs to be better than last years 22-3-1 to get the top spot and that will be tough.

I'd pick them to go:
1) Red Wing-tough schedule, good coach, he wins with whatever talent he has
2) Lourdes - inflated record on weak schedule, but tougher schedule than many
3) West - inflated record, weak schedule, good team but not tested enough
4-7) Northfield, AL, NP, and Faribault - in some order, all have as good of a chance of getting to the section finals as any of the top 3, they just won't have good enough records due to their schedules to get into the top 3.
Last edited by goldy313 on Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.