Leaving Team Midseason for tryout with USHL

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

flatontheice

Leaving Team Midseason for tryout with USHL

Post by flatontheice »

If a kid (captain) leaves his team mid-season for a tryout skate (4 days) in the USHL should he be eligible for remainder of season when he gets back?
observer

Post by observer »

Seems a little unusual but I don't think it's a problem.

A few players did the same early in the HS season.
Bronc

Post by Bronc »

observer wrote:Seems a little unusual but I don't think it's a problem.

A few players did the same early in the HS season.
With the mid season changes in the high school league rules I would not be suprised if players who were thinking of leaving now expedite their decision process.

You probably will not see much of a exit during this season, but Sophs and Juniors thinking about departing may now make that decision.

I realize no one wants to think that will happen (or even care) or will want to look down on those that make that choice, but they have the same options to make quick changes just as the high school league and those proponents do.

For every action there is a reaction.
3GoonsWest

Re: Leaving Team Midseason for tryout with USHL

Post by 3GoonsWest »

flatontheice wrote:If a kid (captain) leaves his team mid-season for a tryout skate (4 days) in the USHL should he be eligible for remainder of season when he gets back?
If the same kid gets the flu and is out for 4 days should he be eligible for the remainder of the season when he gets well? Wow.
Puckguy19

Post by Puckguy19 »

3GoonsWest wrote:
flatontheice wrote:If a kid (captain) leaves his team mid-season for a tryout skate (4 days) in the USHL should he be eligible for remainder of season when he gets back?
If the same kid gets the flu and is out for 4 days should he be eligible for the remainder of the season when he gets well? Wow.
Not quite an appropriate comparison. :roll:
The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One »

How many HS practices and games did he miss? If none, then he's fine. If any, it's the coach's choice.

MSHSL eligible? I'd say yes.
starmvp

Post by starmvp »

3GoonsWest wrote:
:lol: A lot different.... The player is taking part in another team's events
seek & destroy

Post by seek & destroy »

YES! If he missed anything (i.e. game, practice) the coach should decide appropriate punishment. MSHSL should have no say in it.

Most coaches would rather allow a talented player the chance to tryout for a USHL team (perhaps to play there after the H.S. season ends) rather than take a chance of losing the player completely. It shouldn't matter if he is the captain either but, again, the coach has the final say on things.
pioneers

Post by pioneers »

From the MSHSL site
A. Yes. Students who have been members of their high school
sports team are eligible to participate in the non-school
events under the following conditions:
1. Participation in a particular event/activity does not occur
during the high school season in that same event/activity

So If they went during the season, it appears they would become ineligible
Pioneers 1983, 1991 and 2008 State Champions
EHSHack

Post by EHSHack »

pioneers wrote:From the MSHSL site

Tryouts would not be considered participation.
Go Hounds.
The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One »

EHSHack wrote:

Tryouts would not be considered participation.
That's my interpretation as well.
Reggie

Post by Reggie »

The USHL can not bring in HS kids during there season.
suntzu

Post by suntzu »

A player taking part in a "tryout" would be skating in a practice or practices with said team. This would be considered an activity within their sport and thus render them ineligible for the remainder of their HS season. In fact, a kid skating in a bar league game during the HS season could be rendered ineligible if the activity were to be reported.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

suntzu wrote:In fact, a kid skating in a bar league game during the HS season could be rendered ineligible if the activity were to be reported.
Ironic that the kid would actually get off easier drinking at the bar as opposed to skating in a bar league game. :wink:
luvuvgame

Post by luvuvgame »

MNHockeyFan wrote:
suntzu wrote:In fact, a kid skating in a bar league game during the HS season could be rendered ineligible if the activity were to be reported.
Ironic that the kid would actually get off easier drinking at the bar as opposed to skating in a bar league game. :wink:
=D> =D> =D> =D> :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: =D> =D> =D> =D>
HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher »

What is classified as an event?

If you are in the basketball season, can you not go to the Y/park and play a pick up game?
If you are in the hockey season, can you not meet your friends at the local rink on a Sunday and skate around?
If you are in the baseball season, can you not get a lesson from a pitching coach?

It really seems that the MSHSL's definition of what an "event" is has a lot to do with how these are limited.
buttend

Post by buttend »

HShockeywatcher wrote:

If you are in the basketball season, can you not go to the Y/park and play a pick up game?
If you are in the hockey season, can you not meet your friends at the local rink on a Sunday and skate around?
If you are in the baseball season, can you not get a lesson from a pitching coach?

It really seems that the MSHSL's definition of what an "event" is has a lot to do with how these are limited.
What about the 2-3 HS kids that left their team to go to Europe to play in the Jr Olympic hockey tournament?
Defensive Zone

Post by Defensive Zone »

buttend wrote:
HShockeywatcher wrote:

What about the 2-3 HS kids that left their team to go to Europe to play in the Jr Olympic hockey tournament?
I do not know the answer Butt...I do know that this practice, tryout, contest rule of the same sport/season was been on the books for some time. My guess, there are exceptions to this rule if this has happen is the past with no penalty.
auld_skool

Post by auld_skool »

Reggie wrote:The USHL can not bring in HS kids during there season.
It's my understanding if the athlete's on their affiliate list it's OK.
juniorhockey

Rules

Post by juniorhockey »

As earlier stated, HS students cannot partake in Junior practices or they lose eligibility in the season. Some players skate with Junior teams prior to the season, (affiliate list players usually do this, Brodzinski, Trevor Olson, J. Gross, etc. all did this this year). High school players may also skate with Junior teams after their season in practice.

Junior roster deadline is Feb. 10 (different for each level but this is the final USA Hockey Junior roster freeze date). So, for a High School player that is not on a USHL or NAHL affiliate list (Yes the NAHL has an affiliate list even though it is rarely used) they have to be added to a roster prior to Feb. 10.

Affiliate list players in the USHL may play after the deadline but not playoffs.
keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup »

Great info, thanks! Would I be correct in assuming that last year Sioux falls kept Rau on the active roster prior to Feb 10th so he could play in the playoffs?
auld_skool

Re: Rules

Post by auld_skool »

juniorhockey wrote:

Affiliate list players in the USHL may play after the deadline but not playoffs.
Also isn't true that affiliate list players can only play 6 games?
northern_guy

Post by northern_guy »

suntzu wrote:A player taking part in a "tryout" would be skating in a practice or practices with said team. This would be considered an activity within their sport and thus render them ineligible for the remainder of their HS season. In fact, a kid skating in a bar league game during the HS season could be rendered ineligible if the activity were to be reported.
i dont think so since the bar league team/game is not recognized as a sactioned league
HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher »

So, does anyone know...
HShockeywatcher wrote:What is classified as an event?
Neuuman

Post by Neuuman »

The Exiled One wrote:
How many HS practices and games did he miss? If none, then he's fine. If any, it's the coach's choice.

MSHSL eligible? I'd say yes.
I would say that as long as he didn't break any rules, he should be eligible. If, however, he missed ANY high school practices or games in order to complete his tryout, as a HS teammate I would feel totally betrayed, and as a HS coach his dedication to the team I would seriously question. As a coach, why would I want somebody as my "captain" knowing he's not all that committed to being a member of the team?

Should the player have the right to try out if he breaks no rules? Absolutely. Should he expect to come back if he doesn't make the USHL as if everything is just great, business as usual? Not if I'm the coach or a teammate. IMHO