Hermantown vs Duluth East

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

stick wrote:
east hockey wrote:
stick wrote: So where's the upside to playing Cambridge-Isanti?
Cambridge is 7AA.

Technically, yes, but Ashland is in the LSC and we all know how that's working out. (sorry Ashland, no disrespect intended).

Lee
Different situation. Especially considering that East isn't in the LSC, how does Ashland relate to Cambridge? It doesn't.

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
allstatebenders

Post by allstatebenders »

Didnt East try to join LSC this year again but the coaches denied it....? Then they would have probably played Hermantown.
Hockey North

Post by Hockey North »

Yes, they tried and got voted down.
Once Randolph is gone, the teams will all play each other again. He is the reason why they dont play Hermantown or Marshall. Its has nothing to do with A or AA.
stick

Post by stick »

east hockey wrote:
stick wrote:
east hockey wrote: Cambridge is 7AA.

Technically, yes, but Ashland is in the LSC and we all know how that's working out. (sorry Ashland, no disrespect intended).

Lee
Different situation. Especially considering that East isn't in the LSC, how does Ashland relate to Cambridge? It doesn't.

Lee
How does it compare? Seriously? East wants to play the best, so they avoid Marshall and Hermantown in their backyard, but play Cambridge! But hey, Cambridge is 7AA and Hermantown & Marshall are single A. Give me a break, the world wouldn't come crashing down if they played and lost to Hrmtwn or Marshall, but maybe some ego's would. (Ok, my rant is over).
gitter

Post by gitter »

stick wrote:
east hockey wrote:
stick wrote:

Lee
How does it compare? Seriously? East wants to play the best, so they avoid Marshall and Hermantown in their backyard, but play Cambridge! But hey, Cambridge is 7AA and Hermantown & Marshall are single A. Give me a break, the world wouldn't come crashing down if they played and lost to Hrmtwn or Marshall, but maybe some ego's would. (Ok, my rant is over).
East schedules Cambridge because of seeding implications in 7AA. If Cambridge left 7AA I guarantee you they will not schedule Cambridge.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

karl(east) wrote:
east hockey wrote:
karl(east) wrote: Hardly. If East chose not to play teams who once beat them way back when, they wouldn't be able to put together a schedule.

Reality is far more complicated.
This should have been in the FAQ or Newbie Guide as it's called on USCHO.com. :mrgreen:

I'm impressed with your restraint, by the way. Actually, the way you worded your response is perfect. Considering...well, you know. :)

Lee
Thanks. I have the wording down now after answering this 563 times.

To answer the other question, Hermantown beat East 4-2 near the end of the 98-99 season. East left the LSC the next year and they haven't played since.
Wonder if that game looks different with Finnegan sticking around his Sr yr? :lol:
HawkeyPower

Post by HawkeyPower »

East schedules Cambridge because of seeding implications in 7AA. If Cambridge left 7AA I guarantee you they will not schedule Cambridge.[/quote]

Yes, because all the coaches in 7AA need to see everyones score against Cambridge to realize who is the top seed.

I would imagine Denfeld and Superior also have a impact as well.
Last edited by HawkeyPower on Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stick

Post by stick »

gitter wrote:
stick wrote:
east hockey wrote: Different situation. Especially considering that East isn't in the LSC, how does Ashland relate to Cambridge? It doesn't.

Lee
East schedules Cambridge because of seeding implications in 7AA. If Cambridge left 7AA I guarantee you they will not schedule Cambridge.
Fair enough.
HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher »

Sats81 wrote: Wonder if that game looks different with Finnegan sticking around his Sr yr? :lol:
That is the "reason" they'll give yes, but very few teams play all the teams in their section; is anyone really trying to play it off like East would get ranked lower for not having played St Francis or Cambridge?

There are no on-ice reasons for them not to play and there are no financial reasons [that I can think of] either.
allstatebenders wrote:Didnt East try to join LSC this year again but the coaches denied it....? Then they would have probably played Hermantown.
Who seriously voted against that? Denfeld and Cloquet already play East and Superior did last year. I'm sure Hermantown and Marshall would want them in as well. If they really tried to get in and were denied for some reason, then I don't know that we can blame them for not playing H-town/Marshall... :shock:
StreetStix

Post by StreetStix »

Yea I don't know too many specifics, but I know they were indeed voted down on getting into the LSC. Seemed weird to me as well.
ozone1

Post by ozone1 »

Wow, Really? two quality high school teams in the same area and they don't play? There is NO good reason. Ask the 20 players on each team if they wanted to play, it would 40-0 vote to play..,. this has nothing to do with A & AA schedules, it has to do with stupidity.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

ozone1 wrote:..,. this has nothing to do with A & AA schedules, it has to do with stupidity.
Or big EGOS...
blacklung

Post by blacklung »

Hypothetical speaking, lets say that:
East undefeated State 2A champs.
Hermantown undefeated State 1A champs.
Both teams agreed to play after the State Tourney at the Amsoil Arena.
Could this game actually happen if both teams wanted it or are there rules, regs, etc. that would prevent it?

I will say that if I was the coach/parent/fan of the 2A team, I am not sure I would do this.
I am just wondering if it could ever happen.
DMan-dad

Post by DMan-dad »

Hockey North wrote:Yes, they tried and got voted down.
Once Randolph is gone, the teams will all play each other again. He is the reason why they dont play Hermantown or Marshall. Its has nothing to do with A or AA.
Maybe it's not as imminent as I thought...

This is from the Randolph story in the Duluth News Tribune today:
DNT wrote:While several other coaching fathers have stepped down to continue to watch their sons play in college, Randolph says he has no plans to leave the sport behind.

“If I don’t coach at East, I’ll be coaching somewhere because coaching is in my blood,” he said. “I’m not going to quit coaching — I don’t know how to paint.”
Hawkyfan70

Post by Hawkyfan70 »

DMan-dad wrote:
Hockey North wrote:Yes, they tried and got voted down.
Maybe it's not as imminent as I thought...

This is from the Randolph story in the Duluth News Tribune today:
DNT wrote:While several other coaching fathers have stepped down to continue to watch their sons play in college, Randolph says he has no plans to leave the sport behind.

“If I don’t coach at East, I’ll be coaching somewhere because coaching is in my blood,” he said. “I’m not going to quit coaching — I don’t know how to paint.”
Very interesting........
Isn't Plante planning on stepping down after this year???
Krispy

Post by Krispy »

HShockeywatcher wrote: Who seriously voted against that? Denfeld and Cloquet already play East and Superior did last year. I'm sure Hermantown and Marshall would want them in as well. If they really tried to get in and were denied for some reason, then I don't know that we can blame them for not playing H-town/Marshall... :shock:
If I remember correctly, the vote was 5-2 in regards of East getting back into the LSC. The 5 schools that voted them down were the 5 smallest schools from the conference.
HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher »

Krispy wrote:
HShockeywatcher wrote: Who seriously voted against that? Denfeld and Cloquet already play East and Superior did last year. I'm sure Hermantown and Marshall would want them in as well. If they really tried to get in and were denied for some reason, then I don't know that we can blame them for not playing H-town/Marshall... :shock:
If I remember correctly, the vote was 5-2 in regards of East getting back into the LSC. The 5 schools that voted them down were the 5 smallest schools from the conference.
Weird, I can understand Proctor and Ashland, but beyond that, makes no sense. Now this is why they don't play; had two schools changed their vote, they'd be in and playing. Seems like now East is not to blame.

Or am I missing something?
blacklung wrote:Hypothetical speaking, lets say that:
East undefeated State 2A champs.
Hermantown undefeated State 1A champs.
Both teams agreed to play after the State Tourney at the Amsoil Arena.
Could this game actually happen if both teams wanted it or are there rules, regs, etc. that would prevent it?

I will say that if I was the coach/parent/fan of the 2A team, I am not sure I would do this.
I am just wondering if it could ever happen.
The only reason to not want to is if you think there's a chance you'd lose. If you are good enough, you should want to show it off.
shotpassskate

Post by shotpassskate »

I would say East already played and beat the soon to be Class A state champs 5-4 STA. I don't see H-town or Marshall beating East.
I like it that East plays all the teams in section 7AA, they have a good schedule. Maybe it is the other teams that don't want to play East. Remember the 20 rip game vs. Marshall (I think that was the final).
East playing all the teams in section 7 is nice, it is better then what some teams do in other sections we willn't mention them as they are in 2AA and they will not play the Hornets or Stars.
nota612er

Post by nota612er »

The LSC conference is much more than hockey...I believe it encompasses all boys and girls sports for the members. There certainly could be some hard feelings from when East left, but my memory of the vote is that it had much more to do with competitive balance across all sports. IMO it will just be a matter of time before East is back in. It certainly would be great to see HTown and East play for the reasons others have listed...pack the arena entertaining, kids played against and with each other for years, etc. While not apples to apples, it should be noted that while players have come and gone the core group of seniors and juniors from Htown and East played each other 2-5 times per year in the peewee and bantam ranks - and Htown never won a single game. I'm an Htown fan, but that's some serious scar tissue to overcome.......
cooperalls4ever

Post by cooperalls4ever »

shotpassskate wrote:I would say East already played and beat the soon to be Class A state champs 5-4 STA. I don't see H-town or Marshall beating East.
I like it that East plays all the teams in section 7AA, they have a good schedule. Maybe it is the other teams that don't want to play East. Remember the 20 rip game vs. Marshall (I think that was the final).
East playing all the teams in section 7 is nice, it is better then what some teams do in other sections we willn't mention them as they are in 2AA and they will not play the Hornets or Stars.
That 2x-0 game was back in early 90s when D. Marshall didn't have enough kids out for hockey to even field a full squad. Different times.

Hermantown & D. East would be a very competitive game. Both teams have returned 15? players from last years squads. If you don't think Hermantown can play with East, just on a few comparisons from last year (I know there are many factors involved and that's why we play the games) Hermantown beat Grand Rapids 5-1 last year. East beat the 2-1 twice. Hermantown went to Eden Prairie in Feb.(who had 13-14 seniors) and it took them and some kid named Kyle Rau to score with one tic left on the clock in OT. I think we know how the AA championship ended. Hermantown just went to Grand Rapids Tuesday and won 5-2. D. East is up 3-1 as I'm typing this...

Soon to be Class A state champs... STA? :roll: and :lol: maybe you should wait for the Breck machup...after all STA couldn't score on SSP until the final 3min.? 1-0...hmmm, but A championships is the best STA metro all-stars can buy I guess... :wink:
HawkeyPower

Post by HawkeyPower »

nota612er wrote:The LSC conference is much more than hockey...I believe it encompasses all boys and girls sports for the members. There certainly could be some hard feelings from when East left, but my memory of the vote is that it had much more to do with competitive balance across all sports. IMO it will just be a matter of time before East is back in. It certainly would be great to see HTown and East play for the reasons others have listed...pack the arena entertaining, kids played against and with each other for years, etc. While not apples to apples, it should be noted that while players have come and gone the core group of seniors and juniors from Htown and East played each other 2-5 times per year in the peewee and bantam ranks - and Htown never won a single game. I'm an Htown fan, but that's some serious scar tissue to overcome.......
Very true on all accounts. Only the sophmores have beaten East as Peewees and Bantams.
blacklung

Post by blacklung »

HawkeyPower wrote:
nota612er wrote:The LSC conference is much more than hockey...I believe it encompasses all boys and girls sports for the members. There certainly could be some hard feelings from when East left, but my memory of the vote is that it had much more to do with competitive balance across all sports. IMO it will just be a matter of time before East is back in. It certainly would be great to see HTown and East play for the reasons others have listed...pack the arena entertaining, kids played against and with each other for years, etc. While not apples to apples, it should be noted that while players have come and gone the core group of seniors and juniors from Htown and East played each other 2-5 times per year in the peewee and bantam ranks - and Htown never won a single game. I'm an Htown fan, but that's some serious scar tissue to overcome.......
Very true on all accounts. Only the sophmores have beaten East as Peewees and Bantams.
No not true at all. When the current juniors were 2nd year PWA, Herm beat East in regions at Cloquet to advance to the Sunday Final game.

The next 2 years at Bantam, East, with the addition of Moore and Valesano to the team was too much for the Hawks 2nd and 3rd line to handle. 1st line and top D always skated with east.
HawkeyPower

Post by HawkeyPower »

blacklung wrote:
HawkeyPower wrote:
Two years ago the bantams played East 4is times. 10-0,10-1,7-1 and 3-1.
Those games were not all the fault of the second and third lines.

No not true at all. When the current juniors were 2nd year PWA, Herm beat East in regions at Cloquet to advance to the Sunday Final game.

The next 2 years at Bantam, East, with the addition of Moore and Valesano to the team was too much for the Hawks 2nd and 3rd line to handle. 1st line and top D always skated with east.
blacklung

Post by blacklung »

blacklung wrote:
HawkeyPower wrote:

3-1-2008 Regionals:
PWA East vs Hermantown
Herm4
East 1
HawkeyPower

Post by HawkeyPower »

blacklung wrote:
blacklung wrote:
HawkeyPower wrote: Very true on all accounts. Only the sophmores have beaten East as Peewees and Bantams.

3-1-2008 Regionals:
PWA East vs Hermantown
Herm4
East 1
They also beat East 1-0 at the end of January as well that same year.