12/28 - Duluth East vs Minnetonka

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins tonight's game between Duluth East and Minnetonka?

Poll ended at Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:30 am

Duluth East
45%
Minnetonka
55%

Total votes: 44

mnmouth

Post by mnmouth »

karl(east) wrote:
mnmouth wrote:Ragged third period for the Hounds, but they still win by 4. I did not hear Repensky's name - did he play? Olson on line #2 really adds some juice to their attack. Special club, East fans.
Repensky did not play--Moore logged an awful lot of ice time tonight.

Tonight's game shows that the sky is the limit for this Hounds team. Still, potential isn't worth anything unless it's realized, and there's still a long ways to go. They've got themselves a well-earned week of rest now, and hopefully they can be more or less healthy for Maple Grove next week. They're going to have that #1 target fixed firmly on their backs now, so things won't be getting any easier from here.
It's not gonna get any easier for teams that play East.
Last edited by mnmouth on Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Timmy Turner

Post by Timmy Turner »

[quote="mnmouth"][quote="karl(east)"][quote="mnmouth"]Ragged third period for the Hounds, but they still win by 4. I did not hear Repensky's name - did he play? Olson on line #2 really adds some juice to their attack. Special club, East fans.[/quote]

Tonight's game shows that the sky is the limit for this Hounds team. Still, potential isn't worth anything unless it's realized, and there's still a long ways to go. They've got themselves a well-earned week of rest now, and hopefully they can be more or less healthy for Maple Grove next week. They're going to have that #1 target fixed firmly on their backs now, so things won't be getting any easier from here.[/quote]
It's not gonna get any easier for teams that play East.[/quote]

Kudos, to the Hounds, I thought it would be a harder fought battlle!
blueblood

East vs. Tonka

Post by blueblood »

I like the Skippers chances in March...
east hockey
Site Admin

Re: East vs. Tonka

Post by east hockey »

blueblood wrote:I like the Skippers chances in March...
Assuming they and East make it into March. You never know.

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
Snap Shot

A Clinic

Post by Snap Shot »

Wow, my Skippers got schooled tonight. Hat’s off to East.

East played fast, nearly flawless hockey. They are as advertised for sure.

East did several things well tonight.

They are really fast, and they kept skating all night long. They move together extremely well as a team and support the puck everywhere. Nice crisp short breakout passes. They play position and let the game come to them. Their passing was awesome and crisp. They don't give up the puck unless it's a better option. Goaltending was phenomenal, Tonka would have has 2-3 more goals on most teams.

What Tonka hopefully learned tonight?

Obviously they hadn't seen team speed like East before. Even so, they were tentative early on...even on uncontested rushes where they would have been able to drive deep if the forwards had attacked the zone with top speed. Tonka needs to keep the feet moving from the drop of the puck. They seem to have a history of not being ready for big Championship games. That may be a coaching point of emphasis that needs to change. Yes they played a rival game last night...but you have to be ready for #1 anytime.

Tonka hit some, but did not exploit a size advantage in this game. Hit early and hit often against a team with speed like East.

That said, 15 and 21 need to learn to stay out of the box. There's a time to hit, cleanly. Stop taking stupid penalties.

22 is the biggest kid on the ice…use that size to drive to the net! Make somebody stop you…don’t stop yourself. You’ll win those more often than not and generate a great scoring chance.

Tonka did recover and adjust...and really the game was much more even in the second half, Tonka outshot Duluth handily in the latter part of the game.

The bar is set. IMO Tonka is the clear #2 in the state, but East is the clear #1. As a Tonka fan I am glad this game came now. They know where they need to be by March. Let's see what happens in the rematch on Hockey Day at Excelsior. That should be a good one!
SPUDNUT

Post by SPUDNUT »

mnmouth wrote:
karl(east) wrote:
mnmouth wrote:Ragged third period for the Hounds, but they still win by 4. I did not hear Repensky's name - did he play? Olson on line #2 really adds some juice to their attack. Special club, East fans.

Tonight's game shows that the sky is the limit for this Hounds team. Still, potential isn't worth anything unless it's realized, and there's still a long ways to go. They've got themselves a well-earned week of rest now, and hopefully they can be more or less healthy for Maple Grove next week. They're going to have that #1 target fixed firmly on their backs now, so things won't be getting any easier from here.
It's not gonna get any easier for teams that play East.

In January, lucky Moorhead gets to play Tonka in Moorhead & East in Duluth the next nite ! (Ouch)
tonkafan77

Post by tonkafan77 »

Tough first half of the game for Tonka. Looked like they were either intimidated or just flat. They definitely picked it up in the second half of the game and ended up outshooting them. Parker played amazing as East's goalie today.
FREDFLINTSTONE

Post by FREDFLINTSTONE »

Did #3 get an interference penalty? :lol:
KrautBache

Post by KrautBache »

Remember when the Soviets beat USA 10-3 thirteen days before the "miracle" game? I've often wondered if that was a tactic by the USA team or coach - an intentional big loss to encourage overconfidence by USSR for the next time they met (when it really mattered). Would anyone do that sort of thing at the high school level?
SChockey

Post by SChockey »

KrautBache wrote:Remember when the Soviets beat USA 10-3 thirteen days before the "miracle" game? I've often wondered if that was a tactic by the USA team or coach - an intentional big loss to encourage overconfidence by USSR for the next time they met (when it really mattered). Would anyone do that sort of thing at the high school level?
I highly doubt that was the US team's plan, and can assure you that is never something a high school team would do. They're just kids....who love to play the game. And play it with heart. If you were the #2 team in state playing in a highly rated high school tournament championship game against the #1 team in state, would you intentionally lose?
pipersniper12

Post by pipersniper12 »

tonkafan77 wrote:Tough first half of the game for Tonka. Looked like they were either intimidated or just flat. They definitely picked it up in the second half of the game and ended up outshooting them. Parker played amazing as East's goalie today.
Minnetoka may have picked up the tempo in the 2nd half or.......maybe East let off the gas a little bit with the game being at a 4 goal advantage.
Hunt|Fish|Hockey
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

KrautBache wrote:Remember when the Soviets beat USA 10-3 thirteen days before the "miracle" game? I've often wondered if that was a tactic by the USA team or coach - an intentional big loss to encourage overconfidence by USSR for the next time they met (when it really mattered). Would anyone do that sort of thing at the high school level?
Highly doubt it.
HappyHockeyFan

Post by HappyHockeyFan »

Didn't I see it mentioned somewhere that the Schwan Cup Champion has never gone on to win State ??? Something to think about if your a Hounds fan.. :shock: :lol:
It's not the Best players, it's the Right players! HB
mnmouth

Post by mnmouth »

HappyHockeyFan wrote:Didn't I see it mentioned somewhere that the Schwan Cup Champion has never gone on to win State ??? Something to think about if your a Hounds fan.. :shock: :lol:
None of the previous Schwan Cup winners were as good as this edition of the Hounds.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

mnmouth wrote:
HappyHockeyFan wrote:Didn't I see it mentioned somewhere that the Schwan Cup Champion has never gone on to win State ??? Something to think about if your a Hounds fan.. :shock: :lol:
None of the previous Schwan Cup winners were as good as this edition of the Hounds.
I think you just jinxed them.
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

MNHockeyFan wrote:
mnmouth wrote:
The Reverse Jinx will override his jinx. No problem. :mrgreen:

Lee
Egomaniac since 2006
green4

Post by green4 »

mnmouth wrote:
the tonka team that lost to edina in the finals 2 years ago was pretty good and they won the schwans cup, could make a argument they were better than this DE team
mnmouth

Post by mnmouth »

east hockey wrote:
MNHockeyFan wrote:
mnmouth wrote: None of the previous Schwan Cup winners were as good as this edition of the Hounds.
The Reverse Jinx will override his jinx. No problem. :mrgreen:

Lee
The truth is more powerful than any jinx.
mnmouth

Post by mnmouth »

green4 wrote:
mnmouth wrote:
the tonka team that lost to edina in the finals 2 years ago was pretty good and they won the schwans cup, could make a argument they were better than this DE team
No you could not.
East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy »

It is my recollection that Centennial won both the Schwans Gold and state tournaments, but those more dedicated to the truth will correct me if I'm wrong.
SChockey

Post by SChockey »

mnmouth wrote:
green4 wrote:
mnmouth wrote: None of the previous Schwan Cup winners were as good as this edition of the Hounds.
No you could not.
mnmouth, I understand your excitement over the Hounds talented roster this year, but as you brought up we need to consider that it's only half way thru the season. Their win definitely showed what they are capable of, but lets not forget how they played in the first 2 games to get there.

The '10 Tonka team was very good. To say you can't make any argument regarding them being better than this year's DE team seems wrong to me. What if East drops a game or two before playoffs such as the '10 Skippers? While the talent level of the 2010 class might have been down a bit, I think it's much too early to say this is the greatest East team ever under Randolph. Lots of things can happen from here until March.
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

SChockey wrote:
mnmouth wrote:
green4 wrote: the tonka team that lost to edina in the finals 2 years ago was pretty good and they won the schwans cup, could make a argument they were better than this DE team
No you could not.
mnmouth, I understand your excitement over the Hounds talented roster this year, but as you brought up we need to consider that it's only half way thru the season. Their win definitely showed what they are capable of, but lets not forget how they played in the first 2 games to get there.

The '10 Tonka team was very good. To say you can't make any argument regarding them being better than this year's DE team seems wrong to me. What if East drops a game or two before playoffs such as the '10 Skippers? While the talent level of the 2010 class might have been down a bit, I think it's much too early to say this is the greatest East team ever under Randolph. Lots of things can happen from here until March.
Before we engage in serious discussion about whether this is East's best team under Randolph, I'd kind of like to see East get to State first. Then maybe the discussion will have some meaning. Failing that, they get to be included in the topic "best teams to NOT get to the state tournament" :)

Lee
Egomaniac since 2006
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote:It is my recollection that Centennial won both the Schwans Gold and state tournaments, but those more dedicated to the truth will correct me if I'm wrong.
This is correct. Centennial won the 03 Schwan Cup and the 04 state tourney.
green4

Post by green4 »

mnmouth wrote:
green4 wrote:
No you could not.
that tonka team from 2 years ago was only beat by one team all year, which they were clearly better than when they showed when they beat the hornets 7-1 in a confrence game that year, they had such a strong group of defense. if they would have played against this duluth east team it would have been a heck of a game but saying there better when your half way through the year is crazy
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

I would say the 2008 tonka team was better than the 2010 and the 1998 DE team was their best team.