HAPPY'S AA RANKINGS 12/11/11

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

HappyHockeyFan

HAPPY'S AA RANKINGS 12/11/11

Post by HappyHockeyFan »

Ok, first of all, yes I know we already have one person doing AA rankings. So if you dont like me doing my own, dont read them, simple. Second of all, I just wanted to do this because for the first time in several years I have the time to put into following and watching High School Hockey and I thought it would be fun to challenge myself and my rankings against the other rankings out there and get opinions from others on how I am doing. Thirdly, I have tons of respect for Karl and his rankings but I do see that we have our differences and so this is an opportunity for me to add to the discussion/debate regarding where teams should rank. I am not adding any commentary, but will be glad to explain myself to anyone that cares enough to ask why I ranked a team where I did. Enjoy.

#1 - Duluth East
#2 - Minnetonka
#3 - Maple Grove
#4 - Eagan
#5 - Burnsville
#6 - Eden Prairie
#7 - Benilde St Margerats
#8 - Grand Rapids
#9 - Blaine
#10 - Elk River

#11 - Wayzata
#12 - Edina
#13 - Moorhead
#14 - Bemidji
#15 - Centennial
#16 - Roseau
#17 - Brainerd
#18 - Cloquet
#19 - Andover
#20 - Hillmurray

Teams to watch:

Roseville
Jefferson
Forest Lake
White Bear Lake
It's not the Best players, it's the Right players! HB
hshockeyfan53

Post by hshockeyfan53 »

Thanks for your rankings! I always enjoy reading another person's perspective on how the teams are ranked.
hockeyfan893

Post by hockeyfan893 »

Could you explain ranking Hill behind Cloquet, Bemidji, Andover, and Brainerd?
GordonBombay99

Post by GordonBombay99 »

No, just no.
PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 »

hockeyfan893 wrote:Could you explain ranking Hill behind Cloquet, Bemidji, Andover, and Brainerd?
Hater.

8)
The Puck
LGW
starmvp

Post by starmvp »

I think Eagan should be #1!!! :lol:
PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 »

starmvp wrote:I think Eagan should be #1!!! :lol:
You would.

8)
The Puck
LGW
gopherfan202120

Post by gopherfan202120 »

Could you elaborate on cloquet please?
HappyHockeyFan

Post by HappyHockeyFan »

hockeyfan893 wrote:Could you explain ranking Hill behind Cloquet, Bemidji, Andover, and Brainerd?
To begin with, early season ranking can be difficult for the obvious reason that you have only a select few games to judge a team on. So in reality some of the equation is gut feeling about a team. As more games are played the picture becomes much clearer. I base my rankings on what I consider signature wins and losses. A signature win would be winning any game against a top twenty team. Losing by a goal or two to a top 10 team would be considered a signature loss, the team has shown they can play with top comptetion. I also take what I see on the ice, I see a couple games a week, different teams and use that to judge as well. I have Hillmurray where they are because they have not shown they can beat a top twenty team, not that I dont expect they will. Cloquet has beaten WBL, which was top twenty when they beat them and also had 3 other convincing wins over lesser teams and losing 1 - 4 to Grand Rapids isnt that bad. Bemidji has a win over a top 5 class A team and a strong showing 1 goal loss to Moorhead a top twenty team. Andover may have a losing record now but they have competed very well against some very good top ten teams, Maple Grove and EP and a nice win over a decent Osseo team. Brainerd has dominated all 4 of its opponents thus far, and this would be an example where I am using my gut feeling about this team. Finally Hillmurray has had two opportunities to beat a top ten opponent and come up short, by 3 goals to Burnsville. They did manage a 1 goal loss to BSM but I was not overly impressed by BSM the night they played Burnsville. They did manage to beat STA a top 5 class A team but that only holds so much weight. I expect as Hillmurray's young team develops and grows they will move up in the rankings. Remember its only a couple weeks into the season, things will become more clear as we go along.
hockeyfan893

Post by hockeyfan893 »

I'm sorry but I find your logic completely shoddy.

You say you have Hill-Murray where they are now because they have not shown they can beat a top twenty team.

But by that same logic you have Brainerd, a team with four consecutive blowouts against no-name teams three spots ahead of a Hill-Murray team with a victory over STA, and two close losses to top 10 teams?

And Centennial with only one close loss to a top 10 team and ugly tie to Jefferson?

And Bemidji ahead of Centennial who hasn't even played a top 10 team and whose only victories were again against no-name opponents?
HappyHockeyFan

Post by HappyHockeyFan »

hockeyfan893 wrote:I'm sorry but I find your logic completely shoddy.

You say you have Hill-Murray where they are now because they have not shown they can beat a top twenty team.

But by that same logic you have Brainerd, a team with four consecutive blowouts against no-name teams three spots ahead of a Hill-Murray team with a victory over STA, and two close losses to top 10 teams?

And Centennial with only one close loss to a top 10 team and ugly tie to Jefferson?

And Bemidji ahead of Centennial who hasn't even played a top 10 team and whose only victories were again against no-name opponents?
You missed the part where I mention that at this early stage my gut feeling about a team plays into the picture, this applies mostly to the northern teams because of their overall weaker schedules. Only more games can make the picture more clear, but thanks for your opinion. :)
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

I think these rankings are as accurate as anyone elses.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

I agree. Think the rankings are pretty accurate.
Chalk_Talk

Post by Chalk_Talk »

Nice rankings Happy

You guys are having issues with his teams 17-20, really? Those teams could be flip-flopped on a daily basis(or atleast in that area).

Sounds like someone thinks they are better than they really are!
northern_guy

Post by northern_guy »

Chalk_Talk wrote:Nice rankings Happy

You guys are having issues with his teams 17-20, really? Those teams could be flip-flopped on a daily basis(or atleast in that area).

Sounds like someone thinks they are better than they really are!
good call.....
hockeyfan893

Post by hockeyfan893 »

That is very true. I was merely asking for his rationale and expressing mine. Last I checked that's what the point of this is. 8)

Thanks for the commentary Happy.