Section 3A

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

timcorbin21

Post by timcorbin21 »

the guy in the nets important but over the years it seems in section 3a the team with the strongest forwards take the cake. that said, the goalie from Windom looked pretty strong last year in their loss to Hutch.
Marshall as a team takes a lot of dumb penalties. Minnesota Hockey sent about 40, 15 year old D men to the Summer Festival none of them were from Marshall. I believe a lot of the people that vote have a connection to the USHL. I guess the kid from luverne's on the bus to the NHL
Didn't mean to slight New Ulm they have talent but most impotently they have the coaching. But this may not be their year. Take heart New Ulm I'm usually wrong.
Fargo Force USHL scout

Post by Fargo Force USHL scout »

I agree. Can't wait to watch this year. I think Luverne Hutchinson and LDC will be the teams to beat. Good luck to everyone this upcoming season
Fargo Force USHL scout

Post by Fargo Force USHL scout »

Tim Corbin. Yes, Toby from Luverne made it all the way to the national development camp. But Schaeffer (Marshall) was hurt in the first district game (fractured ribs)
Cujo

Post by Cujo »

Im back! More importantly though, the hockey season is back.

My predictions for this year:
This year I think will be a year of unknown. More then past years. Id like to say New Ulm gets the job done but lost a lot of scoring and their main D, but do bring back Kraus in nets.
Luverne... If they had a better coach that had systems to put all the talent they have together. Id say they would be the team to beat for sure! But they lack systems and fundamentals. A boat load of talent and most of their scoring, defense, and meyers back in net.
I dont know much about Hutch or LDC. I know LDC brought back Haajta which will bring some scoring and experience. But they lost everything that did them any good last year. Goaltending and defense are big question marks. Im interested to see how Hutch does on defense without Cowger. Their goaltending was sub par. But they had some nice young forwards.
Sleeper pick is Windom. Thats exactly what they were last year and almost beat Hutch in playoffs. They lost quite a bit of their scoring, but bring back Janssen and they seam very enthusiastic in eagle country. Program possibly on the uprise.
Marshall... Losing Nolan was a huge loss for a team that already graduated most of its talent. I know they bring back campion in net and a couple forwards but a lot of question marks to be answered in Marshall

By the way, where are the section scrimmages going to be held at this year and whose all attending?

Also a little mysterious that a Fargo Force USHL scout to be comenting on a 3A topic, talking about schaeffer? Weird..
no5hole

Post by no5hole »

Say what you want about Luvurne's coach, but from what I have heard he is very involved in the association level and seems to show. They are having very good success at the lower levels and they also seem to come on strong for playoff times at the high school level. I would take the year of the Cardinal over another year of the eagle's any day.
Section 3A HockeyScout

Post by Section 3A HockeyScout »

Cujo with the first real bashing post of the hockey season. Wouldn't be section 3A without someone trying to tear down some one else.

Few comments:
New Ulm- 3 time Section champs... Lost a TON! However had a nice A Bantam group and returns Peterson, Neuman and Davis nice scoring base. Also have their Kraus in the nets and Young Tendy from A Bantams who may be better?

LDC-will be back this year last year was a Fluke

Hutch- I think they win the section if they get some good tendy play. Big strong team that had NU on the ropes last year.

Windom- Love the Jansen Kid and have a Tendy who can still a game...Just ask Hutch.

Fairmont, Worthington, Redwood- All have new coaches and rebuilding

Marshall- New coach but still a sleeper later in the year. Nolan is a very nice player wish him the best as he tries to make the next Level. I still think the Tigers have bite in them.

Finally, The team everyone hates on this Board .... LUVERNE
They do have alot of talent returning everywhere...
I do want to say that Toby kid did make the National Development Camp in New York has any 3A kid ever done that before?
Cool Honor and good for 3A!

Should be a fun year of Luverne bashing all year long and also see if anyone can beat New Ulm....

Storylines:
- Can anyone beat New Ulm?
- Can LDC rebound with the brother back in town?
- How will marshall be with a new coach?
- Can Windom improve on last years success?
- Can Luverne shock the message board and get it done this year despite its poor coaching?

Or will the favorite Hutch just win this thing like everyone thinks will happen.....

Should be fun Lets get it started all ready!
Gretzky9

Post by Gretzky9 »

Section 3A HockeyScout wrote:Cujo with the first real bashing post of the hockey season. Wouldn't be section 3A without someone trying to tear down some one else.

Few comments:
New Ulm- 3 time Section champs... Lost a TON! However had a nice A Bantam group and returns Peterson, Neuman and Davis nice scoring base. Also have their Kraus in the nets and Young Tendy from A Bantams who may be better?

LDC-will be back this year last year was a Fluke

Hutch- I think they win the section if they get some good tendy play. Big strong team that had NU on the ropes last year.

Windom- Love the Jansen Kid and have a Tendy who can still a game...Just ask Hutch.

Fairmont, Worthington, Redwood- All have new coaches and rebuilding

Marshall- New coach but still a sleeper later in the year. Nolan is a very nice player wish him the best as he tries to make the next Level. I still think the Tigers have bite in them.

Finally, The team everyone hates on this Board .... LUVERNE
They do have alot of talent returning everywhere...
I do want to say that Toby kid did make the National Development Camp in New York has any 3A kid ever done that before?
Cool Honor and good for 3A!

Should be a fun year of Luverne bashing all year long and also see if anyone can beat New Ulm....

Storylines:
- Can anyone beat New Ulm?
- Can LDC rebound with the brother back in town?
- How will marshall be with a new coach?
- Can Windom improve on last years success?
- Can Luverne shock the message board and get it done this year despite its poor coaching?

Or will the favorite Hutch just win this thing like everyone thinks will happen.....

Should be fun Lets get it started all ready!
Glad to be starting a new year of Southern Minnesota Hockey. This will be a pretty simple take for now. Luverne walks through 3A. Mark it down.
rollCARDSroll

Post by rollCARDSroll »

Couldnt agree more, Luverne will walk through the section.
The Eagles are dropping out of the sky, their reign is over.
LDC will have another year as a doormat,.
Marshall lost their only hope of any semblance of a decent player in Schaffer shipping off to Illinois. (best decision by the kid and his family)
Windom will be plucky, but be nothing more than a nuisance.
Worthington is, well, Worthington.
No one else will factor in.

Cardinals have too much depth, and too much speed up front. Everyone is talking about the young D man, Toby, and forgetting about Maxwell, who is incredibly special himself. Im telling you, this team is going to be a very tough beat.

ROLL CARDS ROLL!!!
no5hole

Post by no5hole »

You know, I go and stick up for the Cards and then they start running their mouths again on here and we are still a couple weeks out from the season beginning. Don't you guys get that that is why most on here bash you? It's not because you are going to state every year (which you haven't), it's because of your cockiness about absolutely zero accomplishments so far. Word of advice, go to state, then brag. Or how about this, go to state, then you don't have to brag - it speaks for itself.
Section 3A HockeyScout

Post by Section 3A HockeyScout »

haha haha haha haha haha haha haha haha

This board if you believe Gretzy or rollcards is from Luverne wow... Too Funny just kids trying to get attention of themseleves!

Hutch is favorite and NU/SE is 2nd then may be Luverne!!!!\

GO TIGERS!!!!!
rollCARDSroll

Post by rollCARDSroll »

no5hole wrote:You know, I go and stick up for the Cards and then they start running their mouths again on here and we are still a couple weeks out from the season beginning. Don't you guys get that that is why most on here bash you? It's not because you are going to state every year (which you haven't), it's because of your cockiness about absolutely zero accomplishments so far. Word of advice, go to state, then brag. Or how about this, go to state, then you don't have to brag - it speaks for itself.
Your right, hate on us again, EVERYONE hates us. WE dont care.. The cardinals will be ready for the season. Everyone hates the best team/player, its not a new idea.

Make no mistake, that squad is humble and ready to put the work in.

Just watch out 3A.

ROLL CARDS ROLL!!!
Gretzky9

Post by Gretzky9 »

Section 3A HockeyScout wrote:haha haha haha haha haha haha haha haha

This board if you believe Gretzy or rollcards is from Luverne wow... Too Funny just kids trying to get attention of themseleves!

Hutch is favorite and NU/SE is 2nd then may be Luverne!!!!\

GO TIGERS!!!!!
Scout.....get your facts straight. Or, go back and check prior messages. I certainly am not a kid...nor from any town in the section or close to it. However, I saw a LOT of 3A hockey last year and my opinion isn't based on who I like (for the record...people should know I am not a fan of Luverne) but rather the teams and who they have coming back.
I stand by my statement that Luverne should walk 3A. Now, would I be surprised if they got too big-headed and choked? NO. But, based on players alone nobody touches them in 3A this year.
casualobserver

Luverne

Post by casualobserver »

Looks like Luverne is playing both Hutch and LDC this year.
That will be a step up for them.
rollCARDSroll

Re: Luverne

Post by rollCARDSroll »

casualobserver wrote:Looks like Luverne is playing both Hutch and LDC this year.
That will be a step up for them.
I think Luverne met LDC in the playoffs last year.... Those dragons had no fire....

ROLL CARDS ROLL!!!
Hockeyislife09

Post by Hockeyislife09 »

Gretzky...... If you are basing teams on players alone, how will Luverne win this section??? Hutch and NUSE have just as much or probably even more firepower then Luverne.. And even if a team has talent, they still can't win without coaching. Luvernes system basically is throw it up the boards and hopes that wenniger gets it.. The only thing luverne has going for them is Toby, maxwell playing D and Meyer in nets.. Wenniger is probably the best forward in the section but he can't do it himself.. By that being said, hutch and NUSE have a variety of weopons they can use to win a game. this is a 3 team race this year without a doubt. Between hutch, NUSE and Luverne.
Gretzky9

Post by Gretzky9 »

Hockeyislife09 wrote:Gretzky...... If you are basing teams on players alone, how will Luverne win this section??? Hutch and NUSE have just as much or probably even more firepower then Luverne.. And even if a team has talent, they still can't win without coaching. Luvernes system basically is throw it up the boards and hopes that wenniger gets it.. The only thing luverne has going for them is Toby, maxwell playing D and Meyer in nets.. Wenniger is probably the best forward in the section but he can't do it himself.. By that being said, hutch and NUSE have a variety of weopons they can use to win a game. this is a 3 team race this year without a doubt. Between hutch, NUSE and Luverne.
Ok, I will do this once. Have seen all three teams play at least a couple times. Second, here are your key returning guys for each team (based on your "firepower" comment:

NU:
Judd Davis- 39 pts
Wyatt Peterson- 23 pts
Blake Neumann- 17 pts
maybe include Brandon Helget- 12 pts

Return only 1 D and Kraus.

Hutch:
Cody Nelson- 30 pts
Matt Cowger- 22 pts
Keegan Maceman- 16 pts
Tory Adams- 14 pts

Return 2 D and Allan.

Luverne:
Skyler Wenninger- 54 pts
Austin Maxwell- 48 pts
Jonny Solma- 40 pts
Gunnar Olson- 39 pts
Logan Norman- 30 pts
Toby Sengvongxay- 21 pts
Jordan Dingman- 20 pts
Cole Desplinter- 15 pts
Travis Frakes- 15 pts
Jackson Frankenhoff- 12 pts

I know they have a stud 8 or 9th grader up.

Have 4 of top 6 D and Meyer.

Now, REALLY? Even if you can get past an opinion from someone who has no dog in the fight....let's look at FACTS. Your welcome.
rollCARDSroll

Post by rollCARDSroll »

Gretzky9 wrote:
Hockeyislife09 wrote:Gretzky...... If you are basing teams on players alone, how will Luverne win this section??? Hutch and NUSE have just as much or probably even more firepower then Luverne.. And even if a team has talent, they still can't win without coaching. Luvernes system basically is throw it up the boards and hopes that wenniger gets it.. The only thing luverne has going for them is Toby, maxwell playing D and Meyer in nets.. Wenniger is probably the best forward in the section but he can't do it himself.. By that being said, hutch and NUSE have a variety of weopons they can use to win a game. this is a 3 team race this year without a doubt. Between hutch, NUSE and Luverne.
Ok, I will do this once. Have seen all three teams play at least a couple times. Second, here are your key returning guys for each team (based on your "firepower" comment:

NU:
Judd Davis- 39 pts
Wyatt Peterson- 23 pts
Blake Neumann- 17 pts
maybe include Brandon Helget- 12 pts

Return only 1 D and Kraus.

Hutch:
Cody Nelson- 30 pts
Matt Cowger- 22 pts
Keegan Maceman- 16 pts
Tory Adams- 14 pts

Return 2 D and Allan.

Luverne:
Skyler Wenninger- 54 pts
Austin Maxwell- 48 pts
Jonny Solma- 40 pts
Gunnar Olson- 39 pts
Logan Norman- 30 pts
Toby Sengvongxay- 21 pts
Jordan Dingman- 20 pts
Cole Desplinter- 15 pts
Travis Frakes- 15 pts
Jackson Frankenhoff- 12 pts

I know they have a stud 8 or 9th grader up.

Have 4 of top 6 D and Meyer.

Now, REALLY? Even if you can get past an opinion from someone who has no dog in the fight....let's look at FACTS. Your welcome.
Sounds about right! Can't dispute cold hard facts!

ROLL CARDS ROLL!!!
Hockeyislife09

Post by Hockeyislife09 »

Gretzky you need to get your facts straight. Luverne has the weakest schedule in the section I would garuntee peterson, Davis, neumann, cowger, Adams and neilson all would have had 40+ points with their schedule and even Helget would have had 25+ points.. Some of those players on your list for luverne wouldn't have played varsity for new Ulm or hutch last year.. It honestly makes me laugh about the players you put on that list.. And Luverne only have 2 d man and that's it. Luverne is going to have a huge wake up call when they play hutch..
computerguy

3a

Post by computerguy »

Looks like the kids from LuVerne are talking a ton of smack right now. Luverne is going to be good but they have to put it on the rink in section play. Regular season points don't really mean much come section playoffs. Right now I'll go with Hutch as the front runner and Luverne right up there. I think New Ulm will be down this year but how can you bet against 6 straight years of being in the section finals and winning it the last 3. They must be doing something right.
rollCARDSroll

Re: 3a

Post by rollCARDSroll »

computerguy wrote:Looks like the kids from LuVerne are talking a ton of smack right now. Luverne is going to be good but they have to put it on the rink in section play. Regular season points don't really mean much come section playoffs. Right now I'll go with Hutch as the front runner and Luverne right up there. I think New Ulm will be down this year but how can you bet against 6 straight years of being in the section finals and winning it the last 3. They must be doing something right.
If you are referring to my account, I am not a player, and do not want people think I am. I am just having fun with all the blatant haters that love to put some hate on Luverne. The kids are not behind this account, and should be left out of it in my opinion. With that said,

ROLL CARDS ROLL!!!
Cujo

Post by Cujo »

Yeah roll cards roll, right into that state tournament that you've never been to. Get a clue!
Grocery_Stick

Post by Grocery_Stick »

Alright another season is right around the corner, and we are looking at some BIG changes in the section this year.

1. Luvurne - Returning a huge amount of raw talent. key word is RAW, high power offense, solid defense, and I believe this is the tender's third year starting? Luvurne should be looking a great season.

2. New Ulm - Having a down year. Tough to replace an all-star like Brody Peterson. Kid put up big stats but never failed to show an even bigger ego. Bringing back Wyatt Peterson, and Blake Neumann is big for this team. They are looking at a down year, but can never be counted out.

3. Hutchinson - Hutch is another team that can never be counted out. Bringing back some good talent up front but still not too convinced by the defense or goalie. Hutch should be very competitive with the top teams in the section.

4. LDC - Litch is coming of a huge disappointment of a season. It would be hard for them to do worse than what they did last year. Bringing some talent back home from up north should be huge in helping them out, but like hutch not the best goalies. This team should be looking much better than they did last year in a down section.

5. Marshall - The Tigers lost huge talent from last year. Lost some strong forwards, and if I'm correct (not 100% positive) they also lost all of their d-men. With a different coach and lacking the wall of defense they have shown in the past in front of the net, Tigers will have a down year with a tender that is barely past shaky in the net.

6. Windom - Windom looked very good last season and can hopefully build on it for a strong season this year. Personally, I feel that Windom and Redwood are neck and neck but neither will be strong contenders with the top five. Returning an okay goalie and Janssen up front, windom could have a great year. Should be interesting to see what Janssen can do without teams focusing on the other two all-stars.

7. Redwood Valley - Horrible season last year. only won a couple of games and just plain couldn't keep up with the competition. Redwood should be able to improve this season, bringing back Kretsch up front and Ortega and Sandgren on D, they are looking to attempt to make a name for themselves. This team has a huge question mark in the net. A Huge factor for this team will be Jacob Prouty, started hot last season as a freshman and cooled down as the year went on. This team lost a log of the little fire power they had, but with a new coach walking in they have a chance to be a surprise. Besides, they probably pulled foreign kids like almost every other year.

8. Worthington - Played better than most seasons last year, for all its worth. Lost their big goal scorer and a very solid tender, should be the same worthington we've all come to love.

9. Fairmont - Lost 10 guys from last season, looking to be another down year for them, especially compared to last season when won a solid five games

Should be a great season overall, but the section seems like it will have another down year talent-wise. Hoping to see some strong games played and maybe even a few upsets in the playoffs!
Cujo

Post by Cujo »

I understand that Luverne is bringing back pretty much everything. They'll have a ton of talent, but look what happened to New Ulm in the section final a couple years ago when they were supposed to "walk out of the secton" and ended up beating a very hard working LDC team 1-0. Anything can happen in this section, anything. That is why im going to have to go with Hutch. Young team with some talent but work their bags off. Goaltending may end up bighting them, but I have a feeling. New Ulm will be down but they've found a way to make it to the section finals the last 6 years, so they're doing something right down there. I think it will come down to those 3 teams. I'll give the edge to Luverne in seedings because their strength of schedule, which is improving and is a nice step in the right direction. They do however look they have better players because of points, but like I said their schedule is nothing at the moment, like NU/LDC/Hutch. As I recal they didnt do anything against New Ulm in the section final last year but had the goalie to back them up, but did get the important section final experience.

On that note that, good luck to all!
notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT »

Hockey season is upon us! Cant wait for this thing to get underway!

Hutch, New Ulm, Luverne are the three to consider in contention.

Windom, is the wild card in my opinion.

Would love to see one of the doormats jump up and compete.
rollCARDSroll

Post by rollCARDSroll »

Cujo wrote:Yeah roll cards roll, right into that state tournament that you've never been to. Get a clue!
You must think im the only one with this thought? Take a peek at the hockey hub encyclopedia..... or are you one of the einsteins that think that is bunk? Oh, wait, you have a "feeling" for your squad??

ROLL CARDS ROLL!!!