Section 3A

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

theoldref

Post by theoldref »

TheSiouxSuck wrote:So when the "big 3" are making their schedules they're supposed to try and predict when these weaker teams will have enough players to 1) field a JV and 2) produce a game that isnt a laugher? Having the only argument in favor of these games being so that the coaches can rank the teams more easily should be the absolute last factor going through teams minds when they are making their schedule.
Why play a team like Wadena or Morris/Benson when you can play a Luverne team of the exact same caliber and who is in your section! How does it make more sense to play Wadena than Luverne? Especially when Luverne is willing to drive all the way up to Litchfield to play. Obviously the only team that can be advocated for right now is Luverne, the rest of the teams in this part of the section haven't been playing well enough to get a game with Litch, New Ulm, and Hutch. If Luverne beats Litch then they should think about it, if they don't beat Litch then it is completely understandable to not want them on the schedule in the coming years considering the fact that Litch has only 5 wins all year.
Section 3A HockeyScout

Post by Section 3A HockeyScout »

Greetings Section 3A Followers,

Well I have been waiting for the seeds like many others on here… Wow some big head scratchers this year for sure. Below are my initial reactions to the seeds and winner/losers of the seeds.

Section 3A seeds Winners & Losers

Biggest Winners
# 6 Seed LDC Dragons
Huge winner here they are the favorite vs. Luverne. Then they will play a very winnable game vs. Marshall in the Semis. This team went (5-20-0) and actually got rewarded in the seedings who cares about a home game they get a clear path at the Section Final without having to face New Ulm or Hutch. The Dragons have to love their seed and shot come March.

#2 Seed Marshall Tigers
The Tigers pull off a two seed they get an easy game vs. Fairmont to start then have a winnable game vs. LDC in the semis. Tigers need to be in the Section Final this year they have never had a better chance well since 2006 that last time they were in a Section Final.

Biggest Loser
#4 seed Hutchinson Tigers
How does a team who won the 2nd meeting between Marshall swept LDC and beat 2 ranked Top 20 Class “A” teams (Mound Westonka & Orono) who both beat the #1 seed New Ulm this season get the 4 seed?? Wow shocked by this while they luck out and play Windom first it sets up what many would call the Section Championship in the Semis…. However, when you only play 3 other Section 3A opponents this is what can happen to you.

Most Pressure to Win
#3 Seed Luverne Cardinals
Since the 2nd Half of January the Luverne faithful have found their way to the board and whined for respect. Well boys here you go a home game in the playoffs against one of the “Big 3” who is having their worst year in a decade rolling into the SW Corner with 19 straight losses. If Luverne wins they should of they are playing a bad team however, if they lose they will lose all respect and creditability of their program.

Predictions
First Round
Redwood Valley over Worthington

Quarterfinals
New Ulm over Worthington
Hutch over Windom
Marshall over Fairmont
LDC over Luverne

I will be back sometime later this weekend or early next week with In-Depth Previews of the games.

Good Luck to all teams come Playoffs.
Gino87

Post by Gino87 »

so will the big 3 all add luverne to their schedule once the cardinals make it to the x this year?!
Chalk_Talk

Post by Chalk_Talk »

Section 3A HockeyScout wrote:Greetings Section 3A Followers,

Well I have been waiting for the seeds like many others on here… Wow some big head scratchers this year for sure. Below are my initial reactions to the seeds and winner/losers of the seeds.

Biggest Winners
# 6 Seed LDC Dragons
Huge winner here they are the favorite vs. Luverne. Then they will play a very winnable game vs. Marshall in the Semis. This team went (5-20-0) and actually got rewarded in the seedings who cares about a home game they get a clear path at the Section Final without having to face New Ulm or Hutch. The Dragons have to love their seed and shot come March.

#2 Seed Marshall Tigers
The Tigers pull off a two seed they get an easy game vs. Fairmont to start then have a winnable game vs. LDC in the semis. Tigers need to be in the Section Final this year they have never had a better chance well since 2006 that last time they were in a Section Final.

Biggest Loser
How does a team who won the 2nd meeting between Marshall swept LDC and beat 2 ranked Top 20 Class “A” teams (Mound Westonka & Orono) who both beat the #1 seed New Ulm this season get the 4 seed?? Wow shocked by this while they luck out and play Windom first it sets up what many would call the Section Championship in the Semis…. However, when you only play 3 other Section 3A opponents this is what can happen to you.

Most Pressure to Win
Since the 2nd Half of January the Luverne faithful have found their way to the board and whined for respect. Well boys here you go a home game in the playoffs against one of the “Big 3” who is having their worst year in a decade rolling into the SW Corner with 19 straight losses. If Luverne wins they should of they are playing a bad team however, if they lose they will lose all respect and creditability of their program.

Predictions
First Round

Quarterfinals
New Ulm over Worthington
Hutch over Windom
Marshall over Fairmont
LDC over Luverne

I will be back sometime later this weekend or early next week with In-Depth Previews of the games.

Talk about losing all credability, you did it on here 2 or 3 weeks ago.:oops: I read this and laugh. You make some good points and then, well...ahhh some of your clouded judgement starts to come out. I have zero connection to Luverne, and most of you on here give them no respect, "this must be whining". What do they have to do to get some respect? Win? they have done that. I hope Litch reads this and they go to Luverne expecting a win to be handed to them on a silver platter, and I like Litch.

It's great reading you opinion.

Section 3A why have you not given Luverne any recognition for the things they did during the season? You cheer against them, guarnatee wins against them, seems like you are holding a grudge here for some reason? Did they end your season when you were playing?

Good Luck to all teams, leave everything you have out there, for you seniors this is your last shot!
Last edited by Chalk_Talk on Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher »

Chalk_Talk wrote:
Section 3A HockeyScout wrote:Greetings Section 3A Followers,

Biggest Winners
# 6 Seed LDC Dragons

#2 Seed Marshall Tigers

Biggest Loser

Most Pressure to Win

Predictions
First Round

Quarterfinals
New Ulm over Worthington
Hutch over Windom
Marshall over Fairmont
LDC over Luverne

Talk about losing all creditability, you did it on here 2 or 3 weeks ago.:oops: I read this and laugh. You make some good points and then, well...ahhh some of your clouded judgement starts to come out. I have zero connection to Luverne, and most of you on here give them no respect, "this must be whining". What do they have to do to get some respect? Win? they have done that. I hope Litch reads this and they go to Luverne expecting a win to be handed to them on a silver platter, and I like Litch.

It's great reading you opinion.

Section 3A why have you not given Luverne any recognition for the things they did during the season? You cheer against them, guarnatee wins against them, seems like you are holding a grudge here for some reason? Did they end your season when you were playing?

Good Luck to all teams, leave everything you have out there, for you seniors this is your last shot!
I highly doubt there are too many players on this board. And I haven't seen anyone whining; just people asking questions and giving their opinion. Players suit up and play the game. This is a good program, it would be nice to see them do well in sections.
MHGr8ness

Post by MHGr8ness »

[quote="Section 3A HockeyScout"]Greetings Section 3A Followers,

Biggest Winners
# 6 Seed LDC Dragons

#2 Seed Marshall Tigers

Biggest Loser

Most Pressure to Win

Predictions
First Round

Quarterfinals
New Ulm over Worthington
Hutch over Windom
Marshall over Fairmont
LDC over Luverne

Good Luck to all teams come Playoffs.[/quote

You're pathetic...
timcorbin21

Post by timcorbin21 »

just a thought but its possible new ulm and hutch voted for marshall just to avoid playing luverne. sometimes strategy comes to play.
the silver lining for the cardinals is that luverne gets to play st peter than litch than marshall. this may be the most competitive 3 game stretch all year

I dont see new ulm beating worthington in the 1/4 finals.
SouthernMNHockey

Post by SouthernMNHockey »

Gino87 wrote:so will the big 3 all add luverne to their schedule once the cardinals make it to the x this year?!
Hahaha! they gotta get past litch first buddy. which will be tough task for them im thinking
SouthernMNHockey

Although seedings are out here are still some games in the Section tonight

Becker/Big Lake @ #7 Fairmont
Sioux Falls @ #2 Marshall
#1 New Ulm @ Waseca

I got Becker over Fairmont, and then Marshall and NU finishing their regular season with wins
new2coachin

Post by new2coachin »

Interesting figures: New Ulm cooped enrollment: 1408 (1275 is the A/AA cutoff)
Marshall cooped enrollment: 1186
LDC cooped enrollment: 1038
Windom cooped enrollment: 924
Hutch enrollment: 762
Luverne cooped enrollment: 467 (smallest enrollment in 3A)
Can't help but pull for the underdogs!
Bhindthemask

Post by Bhindthemask »

new2coachin wrote:Interesting figures: New Ulm cooped enrollment: 1408 (1275 is the A/AA cutoff)
Good take coach. I'm glad someone finally made a point of this. Imagine what Luverne could do with New Ulm's enrollment.

Those numbers speak volumes.

So.... how does NU get away with this?
dimes100

Post by dimes100 »

all-confrence list for each team?
dimes100

Post by dimes100 »

Pointing out the enrollment totals also makes me want Luverne to turn some heads
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

Bhindthemask wrote:
new2coachin wrote:Interesting figures: New Ulm cooped enrollment: 1408 (1275 is the A/AA cutoff)
Good take coach. I'm glad someone finally made a point of this. Imagine what Luverne could do with New Ulm's enrollment.

I thought someone posted something about how New Ulm was able to stay in Class A earlier this season. Something to do with the timing of bringing Sleepy Eye into the New Ulm coop, perhaps?

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
cellyhard01

Post by cellyhard01 »

Is this the Luvurne hockey forum or what? Kinda confused...
topched17

Post by topched17 »

Here's what I see shaking out in 3A this year:

Quarterfinals

New Ulm will dominate whoever they play in the quarters. It's that simple.

Hutch will get beat by Windom with an empty netter. No true goal scorer for Hutch. Nielsen, and both Adams brothers cant bury. They haven't impressed me at all this year.

Litch will get beat by Luverne, by at least 3 goals. Litch has no scoring and the coaching is subpar at best, can't light a fire under his team to get them going. Litch will be done as of next Thursday.

Marshall will walk all over Fairmont.

Semis

New Ulm will take care of Windom in easy fashion like their quarter final game. Chalk New Ulm in the section final at Gustavus right now.

Luverne will beat Marshall for a second time this season, and I think it'll come pretty easy. Luverne has the talent to win.

Finals

New Ulm and Luverne meeting in the finals. A rematch of the blow out last year in New Ulm. This time it'll be a closer game, with New Ulm coming out on top.

New Ulm will WALK through this section with ease.[/u]
new2coachin

Post by new2coachin »

Bhindthemask wrote:

New Ulm this year would probably be a 4-5 seed without Sleepy Eye. Imagine if Windom & Luverne were allowed to combine & play A (combined enrollment of 1391, still lower than NU this year)
Barry McConell

enrollment

Post by Barry McConell »

bigger enrollment means more athletes which in turn means not all of the best athletes are playing hockey. just because luverne's enrollment is small, it doesn't mean they would be better if they had more students. It just means they would have more plugs for their jv team.
new2coachin

Re: enrollment

Post by new2coachin »

Barry McConell wrote:bigger enrollment means more athletes which in turn means not all of the best athletes are playing hockey. just because luverne's enrollment is small, it doesn't mean they would be better if they had more students. It just means they would have more plugs for their jv team.
My point was combining two existing hockey programs into one team & the theoretical outcome this year as it is being allowed for NU. Not complaining, just making statements & knowing that one of the true A enrollment teams maybe does not move on from this section.
CherryPicker99

Post by CherryPicker99 »

I think the enrollment is a good arguement for not consistently having a strong program. Some years the better athletes in small towns play hockey and have good years. The years the better athletes choose basketball, for god knows what reason, the program is down.
computerguy

3a

Post by computerguy »

Not that it matters but the hockey hub shows nu's combined enrollment at 946. Does anyone know how many se kids are on the varsity team? All this does not change the fact the Nu has been to 5 straight section finals and two straight trips to the x. There should be a lot of great playoff games this year. I'm not going to make any predictions. May the best team win.
Bhindthemask

Re: enrollment

Post by Bhindthemask »

Barry McConell wrote:bigger enrollment means more athletes which in turn means not all of the best athletes are playing hockey. just because luverne's enrollment is small, it doesn't mean they would be better if they had more students. It just means they would have more plugs for their jv team.
Sorry Barry, you are wrong. Larger enrollment means more students. More students means more athletes. More athletes means more talent. More talent means a deeper bench. A deeper bench means more solid lines. You follow me so far? This would also explain why teams like Luverne and Windom are so up and down. Some years the talent plays basketball, some years the talent wrestles. With Luverne having the ability to field a JV squad, I would guess that the basketball and wrestling teams have very short rosters, and are not winning a lot of games/matches. If enrollment didn't matter there would not be two classes, and the winner of this section would still be a doormat to the X. Ask NU if enrollment matters next year when they a playing AA. Not whining, not cheer leading, simply stating facts.
new2coachin

Re: 3a

Post by new2coachin »

computerguy wrote:Not that it matters but the hockey hub shows nu's combined enrollment at 946. Does anyone know how many se kids are on the varsity team? All this does not change the fact the Nu has been to 5 straight section finals and two straight trips to the x. There should be a lot of great playoff games this year. I'm not going to make any predictions. May the best team win.
MSHSL lists the following schools as part of the NU coop:
New Ulm: 589
MN Valley Lutheran (in NU): 205
New Ulm Cathedral: 152
(The NU schools make 946)
Sleepy Eye: 162
Sleepy Eye Saint Mary: 124
Springfield: 176
notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT »

topched17 wrote:Here's what I see shaking out in 3A this year:

Quarterfinals

Hutch will get beat by Windom with an empty netter. No true goal scorer for Hutch. Nielsen, and both Adams brothers cant bury. They haven't impressed me at all this year.

Litch will get beat by Luverne, by at least 3 goals. Litch has no scoring and the coaching is subpar at best, can't light a fire under his team to get them going. Litch will be done as of next Thursday.

Semis

New Ulm will take care of Windom in easy fashion like their quarter final game. Chalk New Ulm in the section final at Gustavus right now.

Luverne will beat Marshall for a second time this season, and I think it'll come pretty easy. Luverne has the talent to win.

Finals

New Ulm and Luverne meeting in the finals. A rematch of the blow out last year in New Ulm. This time it'll be a closer game, with New Ulm coming out on top.

This seems about spot on,

However, Luverne Lost to Marshall last year in the playoffs. Not New Ulm.
SouthernMNHockey

notTONIGHT wrote:
topched17 wrote:Here's what I see shaking out in 3A this year:

Quarterfinals

Semis

Finals

This seems about spot on,

However, Luverne Lost to Marshall last year in the playoffs. Not New Ulm.
I believe he is reffering to 2 years ago when New Ulm put 11 up on Luverne in the semis.