So now where do the EP seniors rank?

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

HappyHockeyFan

Post by HappyHockeyFan »

HockeyMN1 wrote:
HappyHockeyFan wrote:
HockeyMN1 wrote: Why do you insist on taking away from what this class has accomplished? For their age, they won FIVE OUT OF SIX State Championships in Minnesota. This isn't just a run, this is historic. It's unfortunate that bitter opposing fans feel the need to take away from it.
Well I am sure if it was Eagan in EP's position right now you would find a way to diminish it, I mean you havent been able to admit Eagan's relavance this past season as it is, even when they beat you twice in the past two seasons. I also think it is better to be humble in your accomplishments and let others brag you up.
When any other team finds a way to accomplish what these kids have, I'll be the first to recognize it. You beat us twice by 1 and 2. We beat you twice by 5 and 4, not to mention TWO AA STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS. Tough argument for you based on that.
You know you are so stuck on braggin up your team you dont even realize that all season I have said EP should be #1 when they were ranked #2, I've said they are the team to beat, I have given EP plenty of credit for being the best team in the state, but I dont like it when you dismiss all other teams saying how bad EP will beat them, thats disrespectful, just take it down a notch or two and show some respect to the competition out there, I mean Duluth East was only a lucky bounce away like EP got from winning the game.
It's not the Best players, it's the Right players! HB
shakey

Post by shakey »

HappyHockeyFan wrote:
PoNd HocKey ChAmP67 wrote:
HappyHockeyFan wrote:Well lets crown them the GREATEST TEAM TO EVER PLAY and have a parade, maybe send them to the White House to meet the President...NOT...I am sure over 67 years there have been other teams to have some very impressive accomplishments as well but at this time it probably cant be proven as I dont think Peewee A and Bantam A records are kept year to year, especially 20/30 years ago. They have had a nice run, lets leave it at that.

it's a bit more than a 'nice run' just a little bit more than that...
:roll:
Ok fine, a "very nice run", that better? I hope that helps you sleep better tonight.
You have got to be one of the most infantile rubes to ever post on the Forum. Grab some couch time and get over your feelings of inadequacy.
Gretzky9

Post by Gretzky9 »

HappyHockeyFan wrote:
HockeyMN1 wrote:
HappyHockeyFan wrote:Well I am sure if it was Eagan in EP's position right now you would find a way to diminish it, I mean you havent been able to admit Eagan's relavance this past season as it is, even when they beat you twice in the past two seasons. I also think it is better to be humble in your accomplishments and let others brag you up.
When any other team finds a way to accomplish what these kids have, I'll be the first to recognize it. You beat us twice by 1 and 2. We beat you twice by 5 and 4, not to mention TWO AA STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS. Tough argument for you based on that.
You know you are so stuck on braggin up your team you dont even realize that all season I have said EP should be #1 when they were ranked #2, I've said they are the team to beat, I have given EP plenty of credit for being the best team in the state, but I dont like it when you dismiss all other teams saying how bad EP will beat them, thats disrespectful, just take it down a notch or two and show some respect to the competition out there, I mean Duluth East was only a lucky bounce away like EP got from winning the game.
ok guys....I don't have dog in this fight but I have been around a long time and saw the run by Jefferson. While the EP class is really good and would be hard to argue against being in the top 5 all-time, the Jefferson group was better. When you factor in the unbelievable undefeated season they had in their run in high school, and conclude with as many D1 signees as they had there is really no arguement.
PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 »

Gretzky9 wrote:ok guys....I don't have dog in this fight but ...
Ask Michael Vick for one. :wink:

8)
The Puck
LGW
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

I have to belive this EP group is top 5 (possibly top 3) all time. Great group of kids, stuck together, won a lot of championships...The BJ group though was best ever. Hands down, from the Pee Wee, Bantam and 3 HS titles, and all the d-1 signees. Btw, does EP have anyone other than Rau and Seeler who are going anywhere? What about Gerdes, Mollenar, Rath, Ford, etc? Are those guys getting any attention? Anyone know?
HappyHockeyFan

Post by HappyHockeyFan »

PuckU126 wrote:
Gretzky9 wrote:ok guys....I don't have dog in this fight but ...
Ask Michael Vick for one. :wink:

8)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

I would think the Burnsville run they had from 83-87 was one of the best ever. The group that won it in 85, 86 and then was runner up in 87 was pretty damn good! Not sure if they won any state titles in pee wees or bantams, but those guys could play.
HockeyMN1

Post by HockeyMN1 »

Sats81 wrote:I have to belive this EP group is top 5 (possibly top 3) all time. Great group of kids, stuck together, won a lot of championships...The BJ group though was best ever. Hands down, from the Pee Wee, Bantam and 3 HS titles, and all the d-1 signees. Btw, does EP have anyone other than Rau and Seeler who are going anywhere? What about Gerdes, Mollenar, Rath, Ford, etc? Are those guys getting any attention? Anyone know?
I know the Raths have been getting some looks from Michigan Tech but will probably play juniors. I think Ford will play juniors and there have been rumors that Molenaar turned down an offer from UNO to join Seeler, again rumored because it wasn't a strong academic school. So he'll probably end up in juniors next year and look for a strong D1 offer. Unsure about Gerdes but he should get an opportunity to continue, again I would guess in the USHL. Rau is joining Souix Falls tomorrow to prepare for his college career with the Gophs.
EP two out of three.
StillAnEagle

Post by StillAnEagle »

O-townClown wrote:
hockey83 wrote:Happyhockey fan, PeeWee A, 2 Bantam A & 2 High School State Titles. How many others have done that? It's pretty impressive.
The original post said that the Edina class of Budish-Everson-Gaarder-Lee-others didn't win anything.

Now we're counting PW and Bantam titles?

I think you'll see they won some of those too, in addition to hardware at state a few times. Just not the big one.

Seems to me the kids from Jefferson that went years without losing are the gold standard. Eden Prairie - yes - had a great run. But they were taken to overtime in the Section final as I recall. Let's not forget all the other teams that have won the tournament. And some great teams that never did.
O-Town you just argue for arguements sake. Then when the opposing view caves, you argue in their favor against everyone who was with you. (I'm on to your ways). They are "one" of the best classes ever - not the best.
Citizens for one class hockey
HappyHockeyFan

Post by HappyHockeyFan »

shakey wrote:
HappyHockeyFan wrote:
PoNd HocKey ChAmP67 wrote:.

it's a bit more than a 'nice run' just a little bit more than that...
:roll:
Ok fine, a "very nice run", that better? I hope that helps you sleep better tonight.
You have got to be one of the most infantile rubes to ever post on the Forum. Grab some couch time and get over your feelings of inadequacy.
Have you EVER posted an intelligent comment on here?? Because for the life of me I can't recall one...you really should read more and write less.
HockeyMN1

Post by HockeyMN1 »

HappyHockeyFan wrote:
shakey wrote:
HappyHockeyFan wrote:Ok fine, a "very nice run", that better? I hope that helps you sleep better tonight.
Have you EVER posted an intelligent comment on here?? Because for the life of me I can't recall one...you really should read more and write less.
Have you? Because I certainly can't think of any besides obscenely stupid EP bashing and Eagan worshiping junk. Get over you're amazingly obvious bitterness that EP destroyed you guys when it counted and won it again.
EP two out of three.
HappyHockeyFan

Post by HappyHockeyFan »

HockeyMN1 wrote:
HappyHockeyFan wrote:
shakey wrote: You have got to be one of the most infantile rubes to ever post on the Forum. Grab some couch time and get over your feelings of inadequacy.
Have you? Because I certainly can't think of any besides obscenely stupid EP bashing and Eagan worshiping junk. Get over you're amazingly obvious bitterness that EP destroyed you guys when it counted and won it again.
I LOVE how you totally ignore how I have pointed out that I am NOT bitter about the loss AT ALL and that I have actually supported EP all year...my only gripe is YOU, you want everyone to bow down and kiss EP's A** and I refuse to do it and that makes you mad. Even the EP Seniors are probably more clear minded than you in looking back over their accomplishments. They probably wouldnt come out and say we are the "BEST CLASS EVER" and Rau probably wouldnt say "ONLY I COULD HAVE MADE A DIVE AND POKE THE PUCK INTO THE NET OFF A DEFENSEMAN"S SKATE", your the one with the grandiose statements.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

What about that Edina group with Budish??
The X

Post by The X »

mghockey18 wrote:In the "Modern" era of HS Hockey this EP class is hands down one of the best classes to ever play in high school hockey.
The Jefferson Jaguars were IMO easily the best team in the modern era. Saterdalens boys would have given EP all they wanted and then some. Not sure what they did in Peewees and Bantams but one has to assume they did their share of damage. Did Jefferson win 3 or 4 state titles in a row?
Stateofpuck09

Post by Stateofpuck09 »

Jefferson won three in a row
the_juiceman

Post by the_juiceman »

How many of the EP seniors saw any significant playing time as sophomores?
HockeyMN1

Post by HockeyMN1 »

HappyHockeyFan wrote:
HockeyMN1 wrote:
HappyHockeyFan wrote:Have you EVER posted an intelligent comment on here?? Because for the life of me I can't recall one...you really should read more and write less.
I LOVE how you totally ignore how I have pointed out that I am NOT bitter about the loss AT ALL and that I have actually supported EP all year...my only gripe is YOU, you want everyone to bow down and kiss EP's A** and I refuse to do it and that makes you mad. Even the EP Seniors are probably more clear minded than you in looking back over their accomplishments. They probably wouldnt come out and say we are the "BEST CLASS EVER" and Rau probably wouldnt say "ONLY I COULD HAVE MADE A DIVE AND POKE THE PUCK INTO THE NET OFF A DEFENSEMAN"S SKATE", your the one with the grandiose statements.
You are so obviously bitter, it comes off in your posts even if you say you aren't. You absolutely did not support EP this year, you never have. They aren't gonna come out and say anything of course, but that's what forums are for. I never said they were the best class ever, just posed the question as to how they rank. I certainly wouldn't put them over the Jefferson team that went undefeated. You don't understand me at all, and the only reason I continue this argument with you is so the whole forum isn't saturated with your continuous BS lies and hears some other opinions. I honestly don't know why you feel the need to continue posting in these EP threads if you hate us so much and are bitter (which you are). Just do something else and come back next season, or not. You won't have to deal with EP at state but I won't have to deal with Eagan, AV and Fasching will destroy you next year. Congrats on beating Edina, now go away.
EP two out of three.
brandy38

Post by brandy38 »

HappyHockeyFan wrote:
HockeyMN1 wrote:
HappyHockeyFan wrote:Have you EVER posted an intelligent comment on here?? Because for the life of me I can't recall one...you really should read more and write less.
Preach brother!! 8)
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

the_juiceman wrote:How many of the EP seniors saw any significant playing time as sophomores?
I believe at least 10, maybe 11 of them did.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

HockeyMN1 wrote:
Sats81 wrote:I have to belive this EP group is top 5 (possibly top 3) all time. Great group of kids, stuck together, won a lot of championships...The BJ group though was best ever. Hands down, from the Pee Wee, Bantam and 3 HS titles, and all the d-1 signees. Btw, does EP have anyone other than Rau and Seeler who are going anywhere? What about Gerdes, Mollenar, Rath, Ford, etc? Are those guys getting any attention? Anyone know?
I know the Raths have been getting some looks from Michigan Tech but will probably play juniors. I think Ford will play juniors and there have been rumors that Molenaar turned down an offer from UNO to join Seeler, again rumored because it wasn't a strong academic school. So he'll probably end up in juniors next year and look for a strong D1 offer. Unsure about Gerdes but he should get an opportunity to continue, again I would guess in the USHL. Rau is joining Souix Falls tomorrow to prepare for his college career with the Gophs.
Thanks. Appreciate the info. How about the other Rau?
HockeyMN1

Post by HockeyMN1 »

Sats81 wrote:
HockeyMN1 wrote:
Thanks. Appreciate the info. How about the other Rau?
Don't know about Curt. I know he plays Lacrosse too so it's possible that he continue's with that instead of hockey. I would just be speculating if I said anything about his future.
EP two out of three.
HawkeyPower

Post by HawkeyPower »

This is a interesting topic. Unfortunately it has turned into a pissing contest. I am waiting for anyone to come up with another team besides the Bloomington Jefferson group. The story isn't complete yet in regards to the D1 players. That will play out in a couple years. But again, besides BJ, no one has given proof of a better class then the great group from EP graduating this year. I say congratulations on a great run, no matter where you fall on a list you have accomplished what every single hockey player that grows up in the State of Hockey could only dream of.
BBB

Post by BBB »

[/quote]Also, they missed a state tournament, not very good for consistency. I would rank them ahead of Edina of the last 3 years...but all time, no way, I'm pretty sure the Spehar Duluth East teams or the Crowley Jefferson teams never missed a State tourney their junior year.[quote]
How can you base how good a team was over their youth/hs on one 51 minute game. So what? they lost to Minnetonka who was steamrolling everyone and was ranked #1 at the time. I think they had to beat Wayzata in the semis that year who was ranked #2. None of the other teams you listed had to play in more difficult section tourneys than the state tourneys itself. One playoff loss over 6 years....come on.
The Jefferson 93 team that crowley played with won 2 peewee/bantam state tournaments and two high school state tournaments. Eden Prairie won 3 youth state tour. I just looked it up and Kennedy made it out of Jeffersons sections when those guys were sophs. Crowley played his senior year at a post grad age. I believe he was too old to play bantams in 9th grade but decided to play high school after being drafted in the NHL. It would have been like Bjugstad playing hs this year. The 94 team that he graduated with surely didn't play in or win any state championship games as 2nd year pw or bantams and I don't even know if they made the state tournaments those years with crowley having to play up. With that, they had a ton of great players and were part of the 93 groups success. I can't argue that they were not the best group ever.
Spehars group won 1 of 4 youth state tournaments and 1 of 3 hs tourneys. If I remember right they had some families conveniently move into the school district from places like virginia during those years. No offense because I am sure it was a good section but I doubt you could argue it was the states toughest during spehars 10th-12th grade years.
Either way, EP won as many or more titles than any group in recent history. I don't know how you couldn't put them right up there with the best based on that.
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

StillAnEagle wrote:O-Town you just argue for arguements sake. Then when the opposing view caves, you argue in their favor against everyone who was with you. (I'm on to your ways). They are "one" of the best classes ever - not the best.

One of the top 5 best classes ever? Best ever? They win two out of three championships at the high school level to make it 5 out of the last 6 going all the way back to Peewees. I certainly can't think of a better one of the top of my head, the Edina "super class" didn't win anything. These guys all stayed around and finished the deal. Congrats to Pat Hellier, Mark Rath, Kyle Rau, Curt Rau, Nick Seeler, Des Shavlik, Joe Kerker, Dan Molenaar, Jack McCartan, Ben Boldenow, David Rath, Luc Gerdes, and Andrew Ford for one hell of a run. You'll never forget it.

I'm sure they are one of the best. HOWEVER, the initial post (in italics) cited the Edina class w/ Budish-Everson-Gaarder-Lee as never winning anything...while lauding Eden Prairie for Pee Wee and Bantam. Then another poster counted PW and Bantam too.

If those count, won't they count for all teams? Whatever.

Eden Prairie had a great run. Rau had a storybook finish to his career. OT at Mariucci and then another winner in OT at the Xcel. Wow.

Yes, they're up there with the kids from Jefferson in the early 90s. The kids that were on Burnsville and graduated in 1986 not only played on the 1985 team, some won the football state title in between. I'd put them up in the top three for what comes to mind. There were some Edina East classes during their 1970s dynasty, I just can't remember which kids which year.

So we just named four from the SW suburbs. I'm sure there were groups from other areas over different periods up there too.

No matter how you slice it, the run for these kids was amazing. I don't think anyone has argued that.

So don't say they did.
Be kind. Rewind.
ACTUALFORMERPLAYER

Post by ACTUALFORMERPLAYER »

Jefferson Champs 92, 93, and 94

Grand Rapids 3rd in 74 Champs in 75 and 76

Edina East 2nd in 77 Champs in 78 and 79

Roseau 2nd in 57 Champs in 58 and 59

Looks like some kids won more hardware than these guys. Maybe we could stick with best this year?