State Tournament Memories

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

elliott70
Posts: 13787
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:47 pm
Location: Bemidji

Post by elliott70 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:51 pm

east hockey wrote:First memories:

Watching Mike Antonovich and the Greenway Raiders in '68. Mpls Southwest beating Edina in overtime two years later to win it all.

Drunkest memory:

The Lecy brothers and John Marshall in 1977. Last I remember was Scott (?) doing his dance after his open net goal closed the door on Edina.

Giddiest memory:

Spe with three hat tricks. Lou, etc talking about Jefferson's three-peat and their chances for a four-peat. After the first period, that talk was over. :)

His penalty shot against Moorhead is etched in my memory forever.

--Of course, East-Apple Valley in 1996.

--Sicker than a dog, wife ready to put me in the hospital, coming to now and then to watch a little bit of the 1998 Class A quarterfinals. Well enough two days later to jump up and down when Ozzie beat Jefferson in overtime to send East back to the title game.

--Denfeld representing the Duluth area very well in 1986, taking third place. It was the best a Duluth team had done since 1961. Despite the rivalry, cheered for them (almost) like they were East.

--And every other year.

Lee
Jumpin' Jehosifats, you ar an old man.

east hockey
Site Admin
Posts: 6995
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2002 8:33 pm
Location: Proctor, MN
Contact:

Post by east hockey » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:07 pm

elliott70 wrote:
east hockey wrote:First memories:

Watching Mike Antonovich and the Greenway Raiders in '68. Mpls Southwest beating Edina in overtime two years later to win it all.

Drunkest memory:

The Lecy brothers and John Marshall in 1977. Last I remember was Scott (?) doing his dance after his open net goal closed the door on Edina.

Giddiest memory:

Spe with three hat tricks. Lou, etc talking about Jefferson's three-peat and their chances for a four-peat. After the first period, that talk was over. :)

His penalty shot against Moorhead is etched in my memory forever.

--Of course, East-Apple Valley in 1996.

--Sicker than a dog, wife ready to put me in the hospital, coming to now and then to watch a little bit of the 1998 Class A quarterfinals. Well enough two days later to jump up and down when Ozzie beat Jefferson in overtime to send East back to the title game.

--Denfeld representing the Duluth area very well in 1986, taking third place. It was the best a Duluth team had done since 1961. Despite the rivalry, cheered for them (almost) like they were East.

--And every other year.

Lee
Jumpin' Jehosifats, you ar an old man.
Type in bigger font, Mark. Us old guys can't see too good.

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006

chester1991
Posts: 182
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:41 pm

Post by chester1991 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:11 pm

My greatest memories

1982 White Bear Mariner run to the championship game. Edina 6-0.
1983 Columbia Heights Reggie Miracle penalty shot save against Burnsville
1984 Kennedy vs Edina Marty Nanne game winner to win it.
1985 Scott Boom and Burnsville beating Hill-Murray 4-3 for title
1986 George Pelewa and Bemdji
1987 My 1st live state tourney. Watching Greenway vs Warroad
1988 Larry Olimb and Warroad losing to Edina 2-1 in ot in the semis
1989 Chris Tucker slap shot beating John Marshall for the title
1990 Roseau Rams whipping White Bear,Minnetonka and then beating Rapids for the title.
1991 Hill-Murray scoring 18 goals in the first two games.Then meet Duluth East in a great champ game and final one class tourney
1996 Duluth East vs Apple Valley enough said
1999 Hastings over Blaine with two goals in the last minute
2004 Centennial shutting out all three teams for the title
2007 Roseau winning the big school title

LetsPlayHockey22
Posts: 419
Joined: Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:47 am

Post by LetsPlayHockey22 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:44 pm

chester1991 wrote:My greatest memories

1982 White Bear Mariner run to the championship game. Edina 6-0.
1983 Columbia Heights Reggie Miracle penalty shot save against Burnsville
1984 Kennedy vs Edina Marty Nanne game winner to win it.
1985 Scott Boom and Burnsville beating Hill-Murray 4-3 for title
1986 George Pelewa and Bemdji
1987 My 1st live state tourney. Watching Greenway vs Warroad
1988 Larry Olimb and Warroad losing to Edina 2-1 in ot in the semis
1989 Chris Tucker slap shot beating John Marshall for the title
1990 Roseau Rams whipping White Bear,Minnetonka and then beating Rapids for the title.
1991 Hill-Murray scoring 18 goals in the first two games.Then meet Duluth East in a great champ game and final one class tourney
1996 Duluth East vs Apple Valley enough said
1999 Hastings over Blaine with two goals in the last minute
2004 Centennial shutting out all three teams for the title
2007 Roseau winning the big school title
The '99 game when Blaine blew the lead killed me, until they won the title the next year. That Hastings team was awesome with Welch and Taffe. Another great memory, I think in '07, Dano Jacques hat trick against STA in the semi's

mnmouth
Posts: 571
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:06 pm

Post by mnmouth » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:49 pm

My old man is a Greenway grad. Too young to remember much about 1967 and 1968, but I do remember my dad becoming disconsolate for a few days in 1970 when Doug Long shut the door on the Raiders in the quarters.

Also - barely remember Pete Waselovich and Falls in '72, and my Greenway cousins being pissed off at Grand Rapids' rise to prominence that year. And Hibbing's run through the Back Door to a title in 1973.

A few more of my most cherished memories: the great Rapids teams from 1975-80, Rapids losing to Edina in 1978, in a game with an OT non-goal call as controversial as East's was vs. Apple Valley in 1996, and particularly the 1980 team and the great puck-handling skills of John DeCenzo that were on display all tournament, especially in the upset of Hill Murray. You don't see those kinds of skills displayed too often any more. [You can talk about Tier II and Class A, but for us purists, that is the last year a Range team won the title. 31 years ago, no Ranger would have believed that this would be the case.] Two, 1987, mesmerized by all the green at the Civic Center of the Edina and Greenway school colors, the pageantry of the teams and cheerleaders on the ice during the National Anthem, and the butt-whooping administered by the Raiders upon the Hornets that night. Rapids in OT over Bloomington Kennedy in 1990 quarterfinal on the way to a Rapids-Roseau final, East deconstructing Richfield in '91, the monumental shut out of Jefferson by East behind Spehar in 1995, the consistency, outstanding depth and overall greatness of the 1998 Greyhounds championship team, Sertich tying the game and Guyer winning it vs. Eden Prairie in OT - my dad cried after that game, and Patrick White in '06 and '07, reintroducing the state to the Halloween Machine.
Last edited by mnmouth on Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ihatethestlblues
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:53 pm

Post by ihatethestlblues » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:51 pm

2005.
formerly got puck 2345, actually don't hate the blues

2good4u
Posts: 108
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:56 pm

Post by 2good4u » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:24 pm

5. 2007 hawks team making lou eat his words every game
4. sitting in the suites at the x for the 2010 class A championship game
3. first trip to state at the old civic center
2. Apple Valley vs. East
1. 2007 ALL NORTHERN TEAMS championships

HockeyGuy81
Posts: 220
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:09 pm

Post by HockeyGuy81 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:45 pm

90's memories...

- 1990 finals, Roseau vs Grand Rapids. I was 8 and this is my 1st memory of the tournament
- 1991, I remember thinking at the time that everyone on Hill Murray was 6'6"
- Jefferson vs Osseo in the 1994 quarterfinals. Matt Jeffers for Osseo setting the tourney record at the time for most saves in a period (20). Jefferson won 1-0 and it seemed like Osseo never got the puck inside Jags blueline
- Spehar hat tricks, penalty shot in 95
- 5 OT game in 96
- Hill vs Edina in the semi's in 97, seemed like Sampair had 3-4 breakaways in overtime
- Epic OT semi final battle between Duluth East and Jefferson in 98
- 99, the Welch game
- 99, Roseau absolutely dismantling Hastings in the finals

TXHawk
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:46 pm

State Turnament memories

Post by TXHawk » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:58 pm

All Time memories

Willard Ikola and his hat
Larry Ross and his hat
Falls and Rapids final a replay of Region 7 final
Overtimes that would not end
Cooperalls(bad idea)
Small schools against big schools
Bob Lundeen in cover of SI
More scouts in the stands than at a Jamboree
Highly biased Lou Nanne
Every year the teams get better

zamboni14
Posts: 82
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:34 pm

Post by zamboni14 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:26 am

HockeyGuy81 wrote:90's memories...

- Jefferson vs Osseo in the 1994 quarterfinals. Matt Jeffers for Osseo setting the tourney record at the time for most saves in a period (20). Jefferson won 1-0 and it seemed like Osseo never got the puck inside Jags blueline
how could I forget that one!!!??? 'Tonka played right after that, and I remember walking into the Civic center thinking "how bad is Osseo getting crushed?" Then when I saw the scoreboard, I had to rub my eyes about a dozen times to see that it really was 1-0. Didn't he end up facing over 50 shots that game?

truehockeyfan
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:44 pm

Post by truehockeyfan » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:43 am

Sitting in the stands as an 8th grader watching two other 8th graders (Schroeder/ Lee) wondering how they were leading their team in the state tourney at my age level

Nostalgic Nerd
Posts: 1080
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:16 pm
Location: St. Paul, MN

Post by Nostalgic Nerd » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:38 am

zamboni14 wrote:
HockeyGuy81 wrote:90's memories...

- Jefferson vs Osseo in the 1994 quarterfinals. Matt Jeffers for Osseo setting the tourney record at the time for most saves in a period (20). Jefferson won 1-0 and it seemed like Osseo never got the puck inside Jags blueline
how could I forget that one!!!??? 'Tonka played right after that, and I remember walking into the Civic center thinking "how bad is Osseo getting crushed?" Then when I saw the scoreboard, I had to rub my eyes about a dozen times to see that it really was 1-0. Didn't he end up facing over 50 shots that game?
About 40.
I can splash in the rink puddles!

Nostalgic Nerd
Posts: 1080
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:16 pm
Location: St. Paul, MN

Post by Nostalgic Nerd » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:45 am

2008 Pioneers' textbook-like victories over Roseau and Edina. Both had better offenses (at least on paper), and yet Hill had more quality chances. Holding their opponents 0-14 on the power play.
I can splash in the rink puddles!

DotaDangler
Posts: 122
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:46 pm
Location: U of M

Post by DotaDangler » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:02 am

2006- STA wins A title with OT win over Orono, 2OT win over Hermantown, and a comeback against Duluth Marshall in the championship. Don't remember a dull moment in class A that year.

2005- History teacher saying that if we could get the TV to show the tourney (no antenna), we could watch it. Construction of a paper-clip antenna resulted in a hazy viewing of the game, but a good time regardless.
Imagine a world...with no Wisconsin

Bigshooter44
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:20 pm

Post by Bigshooter44 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:34 am

Watching Ikola's juggernaut Hornet teams of the late 70's shut the Civic Center crowd up.

3 years in a row they took down Roseau by a combined 19-7 score & 95% of the building was rooting for the Rams.

Broten, Broten & Erickson were the whole talk of the tourney and Edina silenced the building.

Not that is a memory.

Mite-dad
Posts: 1114
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:16 am

Post by Mite-dad » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:45 am

Duluth East trouncing the highly touted Jefferson team was great.

DE vs. AV

And the Hanowski salute to the STA fans. I know they got the last laugh, but as a Flyers fan, it was great.

Edger
Posts: 277
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:19 am

Post by Edger » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:59 am

Wish they'd do another one of these ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L98FhdHnE2I

Enlarge it, turn it up, and enjoy.
Speaking of "the salute" :)
Love everything in there, the rocking crowd, the sound of the pipe clank, Essay and Pauly firing up the troops, the hits, the shots, the goals.
Greatest tourney in the land. Hands down. Enjoy.

Sats81
Posts: 2732
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:29 am

Post by Sats81 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:05 am

1988-My 1st memory of tourney (7yrs old) watching Edina take it.
1989-Chris Tucker breaking JM's heart and bringing it home for the Jags.
1990-Roseau and GR final
1991-DE beating Bvlle in semis in OT, Hill winning it all
1992-94-Jags-Crowley, Bianchi, Trebil, Parrish, Anderson, Peterson, don't know if we will ever see an era like that again. Just incredible.
1995-Spehar. Any questions?
1996-DE-AV 5 OT thriller with all the talent in that game
1997-Edina outlasting a much more talented and heavily favored DE team.
1998-DE beating Jags in OT in Semis then rolling Anoka in final
1999-Dan Welch vs Blaine, watching Roseau then dismantle Hastings in final
2000-Watching Matt Hendricks single handedly bring a state title to Blaine. Kids a warrior
2001-Elk River. Greenway beating EP
2002-Holy Angels
2003-Does anyone remember Anoka!
2004-Centennial and their impressive defensive play
2005-Return of AHA
2006, 2007-Return of Grand Rapids, Patrick White and the Halloween Machine, Roseau
2008-Roseau and Edina being upset. Hill persevering
2009-Nick Leddy and EP
2010-Edina doing what they do best. Making most of their opportunities.

Awesome stuff!

WhiteTornado
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun May 23, 2010 10:01 pm

Post by WhiteTornado » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:40 pm

1983-Reggie Miracle backstopping Columbia Heights to upset over Edina
1985-Anoka's 11-5 quarterfinal win over Brad Stepan & Tom Sagissor's Hastings Raiders (my 1st ever tournament game in person)
1995-That one time Spehar accidentally entered his own zone in the semis vs Edina possibly costing him a 4th goal that game and denying him double digits for the tournament.
1996-Nothing original here: AV/East 5OT
1998-Witnessing the final H.S. hockey game ever played in the old Civic Center (Anoka/East) and finishing the night rocking out at Dibbo's in Hudson.
2000-Thinking how weird it was to be watching H.S. hockey at Target Center.
2003-Watching H.S. contemporaries coach my alma mater (Anoka) to a state title.
2010-Being there for epic semi between Hill-Muray & Tonka and walking past an ill Clay Matvick lying on his back, eyes closed, on the floor of the press box between OT's using his suit coat as a pillow.

dwvandy
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:23 am

Iron Range Conference.... alas

Post by dwvandy » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:38 pm

mnmouth wrote: A few more of my most cherished memories: the great Rapids teams from 1975-80, Rapids losing to Edina in 1978, in a game with an OT non-goal call as controversial as East's was vs. Apple Valley in 1996, and particularly the 1980 team and the great puck-handling skills of John DeCenzo that were on display all tournament, especially in the upset of Hill Murray. You don't see those kinds of skills displayed too often any more. [You can talk about Tier II and Class A, but for us purists, that is the last year a Range team won the title. 31 years ago, no Ranger would have believed that this would be the case.]

Being a 1980 Iron Range HS grad, my favorite memories all involved pulling for the Section 7 representative...once the section was decided... We in the Iron Range Conference always felt any one of 4-5 teams were potent enough to have a shot at the state title each year.... I can still see John DeCenzo coming out of the corner, short handed. to put Grand Rapids up on Hill Murray... Dammit Johnny, you should have stayed in Eveleth...

mnmouth
Posts: 571
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:06 pm

Re: Iron Range Conference.... alas

Post by mnmouth » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:43 pm

dwvandy wrote:
mnmouth wrote: A few more of my most cherished memories: the great Rapids teams from 1975-80, Rapids losing to Edina in 1978, in a game with an OT non-goal call as controversial as East's was vs. Apple Valley in 1996, and particularly the 1980 team and the great puck-handling skills of John DeCenzo that were on display all tournament, especially in the upset of Hill Murray. You don't see those kinds of skills displayed too often any more. [You can talk about Tier II and Class A, but for us purists, that is the last year a Range team won the title. 31 years ago, no Ranger would have believed that this would be the case.]

Being a 1980 Iron Range HS grad, my favorite memories all involved pulling for the Section 7 representative...once the section was decided... We in the Iron Range Conference always felt any one of 4-5 teams were potent enough to have a shot at the state title each year.... I can still see John DeCenzo coming out of the corner, short handed. to put Grand Rapids up on Hill Murray... Dammit Johnny, you should have stayed in Eveleth...
Agreed. DeCenzo was just unbelievable that tournament. And, unfortunately, his parents decided Rapids offered more than Eveleth did - hard to argue with them. Same thing when Jon Casey (and his brother Ray, who graduated in '78 or '79) moved from Greenway to Rapids. Two key pieces to the Indians 1980 title club moved in from elsewhere - and those are just the two we know of or can remember. Since I was from Rapids, I couldn't have been happier, though I understand other folks' disappointment.

greenway1969
Posts: 792
Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:29 am

Post by greenway1969 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:11 pm

1962 The Falls beating Greenway in the semifinals by a goal by Huffer
Christianson. Greenway was the only team to give Falls a game.
There was more smoke in the St. Paul Auditorium than in any
bar on the Range. Bats were also seen flying around the rafters.
1966 Roseau goalie Jim Nelson played an outstanding game to help
eliminate Greenway in the first round.
1967 Gary Lawson's rush up ice to score and beat Hibbing in the last
minute after Hibbing had just scored to tie it. Greenway then
put 40 shots on goal against favored Johnson to win the title. This
was when periods were 12 minutes.
1968 Mike Anotonovich scoring on a face-off against Mounds View.
1969 The Warroad-Edina final.
1970 Legendary Doug Long stopping Greenway in the quarterfinals.
1978 Edina beating Rapids in 2OT for the title.
1980 Jon Casey shutting down Hill-Murray in the championship game.
1986 George Pelawa of Bemidji physically dominating Jefferson in the
consolation round. He was a man among boys.
1987 Greenway totally destroying Edina in the quarterfinals. Ken
Gernander's unassisted goal against Kennedy.
1996 Duluth East losing to Apple Valley because of "missed" goal call
by the goal judge and referees.
2001 Greenway's win over Eden Prairie.

Edger
Posts: 277
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:19 am

Post by Edger » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:24 pm

Awesome stuff Greenway.
Love the really old stuff.
Great memories.

HS Fan 4 Life
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:55 pm

Post by HS Fan 4 Life » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:14 pm

Skipping school for three years in a row. Driving from Milwaukee to Eau Claire to get the games on TV. (Early 70's)

Listening to Louie Nanne saying Christoff to Szepanski, Szepanski Scores! Nothing funnier than that lisp. Christoff almost single handedly won the '76 Tourney

RJM stunning Edina-East in 77. Butters one of the best goalies the tourney has seen.
Edina- East stealing one from GR in '78.
Edina-East Scoing w/ 1minute left to tie and then beat JM in OT 1979.
Grand Rapids dominating in 1980 Tony Kellin and Jim Malwitz were studs.
Jefferson FINALLY winning one in '81
Edina rolling as one school again in '82
Reggie Miracle shutting out Edina and Hill FINALLY winning in '83.
Scott Bloom and the Braves Rock in '85 and Roll in '86
George Pelawa (RIP) was a man among boys.
Bloom Kennedy getting their only Title stopping the B'Ville freight train '87

Sweet time at OLD School

wtbearlk1111
Posts: 99
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:10 pm

Post by wtbearlk1111 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:52 pm

In the old days the cheerleaders stayed at same hotels as players! :D

Post Reply