#3 Duluth East (22-5) vs. White Bear Lake (21-5-1)

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who Wins?

Poll ended at Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:02 am

Duluth East
54%
White Bear Lake
46%

Total votes: 85

Goldfishdude

Post by Goldfishdude »

Clearly Jo Jo's experience made the difference... It was a tough goal for Schletty to give up.. Looked liked the puck stayed on the ice thru his 5-hole.

What a future East has ahead of them... I am not going to put their top line in the Broten-Broten-Erickson class, but they sure moved the puck well, and skated without the puck even better.. creating great passing lanes, and as Louie called it.. "Tic-Tac-Toeing"..

The depth of East also was a close 2nd.. I don't think I saw WBL's 3rd-line D once of Clark and Baker, and that's a shame.. asking alot out of WBL D-men with the speed and skill level of East. And, I don't think the 3rd line saw one shift from the end of the 2nd period on.
SconiPuckster

Post by SconiPuckster »

:D Dogs can get ready to lick cake off'n the Beez!
norcon

Post by norcon »

This is what the state tournament is all about! Great game plan by both coaches. Looked like the ice time was much more balanced out between the lines today for East. Best of luck against the Hornets.
Northsider

Post by Northsider »

Congratulations to Duluth East. We ancient Edina haters will be pulling for you in a big way tomorrow night. The WBL Quarterfinal curse lives on. I wonder what they did wrong to be cursed in such a way. Moose Goheen must have offended the hockey gods many years ago.
In the first ever state tournament game ever played, White Bear had a 2-0 lead over Thief River Falls entering the third period and they choked and lost 3-2. They've never been able to win since.
Hill-Murray>Public Schools>All Other Privates
Goldfishdude

Post by Goldfishdude »

norcon wrote:This is what the state tournament is all about! Great game plan by both coaches. Looked like the ice time was much more balanced out between the lines today for East. Best of luck against the Hornets.
Granted, I coached baseball, but, it goes to show you what type of a coach Randolph is to be able to have confidence in his 3 top lines. Sager won't take chances, because he will hear the boo birds... Louie kinda pointed out how Randolph was running some 15 second shifts, and I am sure it was to play match ups..
mj79

Post by mj79 »

I'm amazed how many people are talking about the first line. Like us who have seen east all year IMO this was NOT a good example of what they can do. Yes they had quite a few nice pretty plays and you can see that line does their own thing. But wbl dis what rapids did. Tough D and really stopped those pretty plays.

If you want to see easts first line at full potential and wide open find video o the 2nd game against cloquet or elk river in sections.
wblhockeyfan8
Location: White Bear Lake, MN. Front row of the student section.

Post by wblhockeyfan8 »

At least we looked good! :wink:
Always celly hard.
TheNightman

Post by TheNightman »

Gotta agree with you there, I haven't had many chances to watch this team now that I live in the land of cheese, (only got to see the first Hill game, but it's a little fuzzy thanks to the tunnel to Sak's). I of course was familiar with the big guns on O, but I was pleasantly surprised with the young D men. Jack Morrisette really impressed me with how physical he was with the DE forwards, and all of them really surpassed my expectations. Great game by the Bears, but I'm still not sure if we'll be seeing them back in St. Paul in March anytime soon with the clear scoring void that needs to be filled after this season.
Goldfishdude wrote:
TheNightman wrote:I give up
It's tough Nightman... But, I think as a whole, WBL fans have to be encouraged by the play of the young defensemen.

I thought sophomore Thomas Delaney did a very solid job for just being given a regular shift a couple weeks ago. R.J., Jack Morrisette, Carney and Delaney and Schletty in nets all will be back to anchor the defensive zone.

Getting goals will be hard earned, though.
stpaul

WBL - DE

Post by stpaul »

iLLuminati_666 wrote:thursday while there at work we'll be sippn on brews at tom reids before are kids play on the biggest stage in high school sports
I don’t want to encourage underage drinking, but 666 should go ahead and continue to drink into the night. It will dull the pain. It will also help to get this picture out of his mind.

Zach Schendel (9) works his way out of the corner, just seconds before scoring the game-winner in double overtime. (MN Hockey Hub Photo by Helen Nelson).
iLLuminati_666

Re: WBL - DE

Post by iLLuminati_666 »

It was a painful loss.... but everyone knows you cant win skating 2 lines the whole 3rd period and all Overtime.... Sager should quite now your never gonna get anyone more talented then (wahlin, birki,Jansen) who all had amazing games and have a bright furture ahead
stpaul wrote:
iLLuminati_666 wrote:thursday while there at work we'll be sippn on brews at tom reids before are kids play on the biggest stage in high school sports
I don’t want to encourage underage drinking, but 666 should go ahead and continue to drink into the night. It will dull the pain. It will also help to get this picture out of his mind.

Zach Schendel (9) works his way out of the corner, just seconds before scoring the game-winner in double overtime. (MN Hockey Hub Photo by Helen Nelson).
ICE23

Post by ICE23 »

iLLuminati_666 wrote:It was a painful loss.... but everyone knows you cant win skating 2 lines the whole 3rd period and all Overtime.... Sager should quite now your never gonna get anyone more talented then (wahlin, birki,Jansen) who all had amazing games and have a bright furture ahead
stpaul wrote:

I dont think skating 2 lines was the reason they lost. East scored the goal a minute into the 2nd OT so fatigue was not an issue, the lines were well rested. And who knows maybe if he would have skated all 3 lines then the score would have been more lopsided, I dont think anyone knows his own team better then the coach.
iLLuminati_666

Post by iLLuminati_666 »

Wahlin birki jansen were gased noone was putting a body on anyone in the last OT hense why the guy in front had an easy goal
ICE23 wrote:
iLLuminati_666 wrote:It was a painful loss.... but everyone knows you cant win skating 2 lines the whole 3rd period and all Overtime.... Sager should quite now your never gonna get anyone more talented then (wahlin, birki,Jansen) who all had amazing games and have a bright furture ahead
stpaul wrote: I don’t want to encourage underage drinking, but 666 should go ahead and continue to drink into the night. It will dull the pain. It will also help to get this picture out of his mind.

I dont think skating 2 lines was the reason they lost. East scored the goal a minute into the 2nd OT so fatigue was not an issue, the lines were well rested. And who knows maybe if he would have skated all 3 lines then the score would have been more lopsided, I dont think anyone knows his own team better then the coach.
BearsSensGophs

Post by BearsSensGophs »

Well shoot, this one hurts. Not only cause we lost but because I don't see us getting back anytime soon. (I hope somebody can tell me I'm wrong there). Next year, where is the scoring going to come from? They have 2 solid defenders and a solid goalie coming back but egh.

Mac Jansen, Brandon Wahlin and Max Birkinbine. Thank you for a fantastic season, you made us proud.
WBLHockeyfan04

Post by WBLHockeyfan04 »

Well I think Sager would skate 3 lines if the 3rd line could actually hold their own out there, but I saw no fatigue from the 1st and 2nd lines. They actually seemed stronger as the game wore on.

No problems with the coaching in this one. They started out a bit slow, but alot of that had to do with nerves and what not. Once they got that first goal they really were playing well. Good game plan. Same quarterfinal result...

Duluth East is a very good hockey team, but I felt WBL was really taking it to them in the better part of the 3rd and OT. Unfortunately they couldn't get anything by Jeanetta(that counted) and Duluth East was able to regroup and come out on top following the OT intermission. Fun game, but another heartbreaker and this one will sting for a bit.

Great Season, Bears! I really enjoyed watching you grow up on the ice this year, and you clearly played your hearts out over these last few games. Everything was left out on the ice, and you deserved better. Now go out and win yourselves a consolation championship!
wbhockey02

Post by wbhockey02 »

Heartbroken... I just don't know what to say anymore, multiple chances in OT , I thought you guys were gonna break it this year, just bummed that the game winner was a trickling shot.
But I will congratulate the bears on a great season you still made us all proud.

White Bear Natin lives on.....
mnpuckster

Post by mnpuckster »

Congrats to DE on a very entertaining, but heartbreaking game for me.

Great season Bears. You did a lot for the program, and played your hearts out. Wahlin, birkinbine were very fun to watch, and great careers at WBL guys.

This one will definately sting for a bit. The puck just wouldnt find the twine in the first OT, and it just seems like it never will.

Beating HM and making state did more for the program than any win in a very long time for WBL. Hold your heads high, because you played with pride. GO BEARS
ICE23

Post by ICE23 »

It was more of a fluke goal or a weak goal let in by the goalie. Wouldnt call it an easy goal. I find it hard to believe that they were gassed a minute into a period after they just took an intermission.

iLLuminati_666 wrote:Wahlin birki jansen were gased noone was putting a body on anyone in the last OT hense why the guy in front had an easy goal
ICE23 wrote:
Goldfishdude

Post by Goldfishdude »

Well... I will tell you this.... WBL already lost Jake Wahlin to Woodbury A Bantams last year. Jake is Brandon's brother and who scored almost 50 goals as a first-year A Bantam when he still had Pee-Wee eligibility. And the rumor I heard last year was he will be going to H-M...

Jake carried the youth teams... I hope WBL finds some scoring in the likes of Seth King coming up from JV and had a fast start, and Mitch Morrisette will have to try and replace Brandon Wahlin.
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

Congrats to White Bear for playing a great game. That game is what state is all about. East got the game winner but your team was great to watch.
wblhockeyfan8
Location: White Bear Lake, MN. Front row of the student section.

Post by wblhockeyfan8 »

All I know is JoJo Jenetta is one hell of a goalie!

Is he playing anywhere, if not, why not?!
Always celly hard.
StayAtHomeD

Post by StayAtHomeD »

Brandon Wahlin is the best player in the state hands down.
sachishi4

Post by sachishi4 »

Goldfishdude wrote:Well... I will tell you this.... WBL already lost Jake Wahlin to Woodbury A Bantams last year. Jake is Brandon's brother and who scored almost 50 goals as a first-year A Bantam when he still had Pee-Wee eligibility. And the rumor I heard last year was he will be going to H-M...

Jake carried the youth teams... I hope WBL finds some scoring in the likes of Seth King coming up from JV and had a fast start, and Mitch Morrisette will have to try and replace Brandon Wahlin.
good to hear the recui.....err players are still coming to HM
State ‘83, ‘91, ‘08, ‘20
PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 »

StayAtHomeD wrote:Brandon Wahlin is the best player in the state hands down.
He's among the best but not the best...

He's not even a Mr. Hockey Finalist...

8)
The Puck
LGW
sachishi4

Post by sachishi4 »

or pioneer press player of the year :lol:
State ‘83, ‘91, ‘08, ‘20
mj79

Post by mj79 »

StayAtHomeD wrote:Brandon Wahlin is the best player in the state hands down.
Sorry Mr. Wahlin , But Im gonna have to disagree