Section 1A 2010-2011

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

From 2004 -2007 Lourdes wasn't in 1A. :idea:
bobforhockey

Post by bobforhockey »

Howie,

You are, of course, correct and I apologize for the language...the arm's length style of message boards does occasionally help me forget my manners. Your characterizations of public and parochial programs are simplistic at best, and pot-stirring at least.

But you are very consistent:
http://www.ushsho.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=25549
"I think we should just call class "A" "the private party"
The X

Post by The X »

bobforhockey wrote:Howie,

You are, of course, correct and I apologize for the language...the arm's length style of message boards does occasionally help me forget my manners. Your characterizations of public and parochial programs are simplistic at best, and pot-stirring at least.

But you are very consistent:
http://www.ushsho.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=25549
"I think we should just call class "A" "the private party"
Bob,

Apology accepted. If you read my posts, I'm equal opportunity on my views regarding this issue. This year I have called out STA, Breck, Blake and all the teams in this same boat. Basically, it don't matter to me if these teams are catholic, military, or cosmetology schools. Yes, my views are simplistic and possibly pot stirring depending on how its perceived. In my posts I've always said this has nothing to do with the kids but more to do with parents and coaches from these teams. IMO, most kids would rather play with whom they grew up playing with, not in all cases of course. The only point I have is that these schools play AA and only because of the rankings every year and state champions in "A" are always the same with very few exceptions. The "private party" quote was made because 1-5 in Class A rankings are private schools.
scarlethockey33

Post by scarlethockey33 »

Rochester Lourdes wins vs. New Prague (2-0) both goals come off the powerplay for Lourdes. Shots were 30-14, in favor of Lourdes, Morris played a great game, but not enough offense to back him up. Congrats to Lourdes, hopefully will represent southern Minnesota hockey better than past years! Best of luck at the Xcel!
hockeydad

Post by hockeydad »

scarlethockey33 wrote:Rochester Lourdes wins vs. New Prague (2-0) both goals come off the powerplay for Lourdes. Shots were 30-14, in favor of Lourdes, Morris played a great game, but not enough offense to back him up. Congrats to Lourdes, hopefully will represent southern Minnesota hockey better than past years! Best of luck at the Xcel!
Slight correction. Lourdes second goal was an empty netter.... the penalty was called after the goal. But your analysis was spot on... fun game to watch, Lourdes deserved the W, but np never quit and made Heimer work in the final minutes.
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

Just some thoughts....

The better team won, not to disrespect New Prague in anyway. Had they played the first two periods they way they played the third it may have been a different game. They were pretty defensive the first two, once they opened it up they Lourdes on their heels a bit. The power play that led to the Eagles goal may have been, technically, the right call but wasn't in the spirit of the game. I hate that about Anderson, the officiating was letting them play. At least a hook and interfernce could have been called on New Prague earlier and a pretty clear goalie interference could have been called on Lourdes but were let go in the spirit of the game then Anderson calls that? Garbage call. New Prague has to score to win so that call didn't cost them the game but still....

Nice atmosphere, people may complain because it's in Rochester but the venue fits the game. Even with Wayzata and EP playing Mariucci seemed empty, that wasn't the case with this game. Both student sections were impressive, as were both bands.

Both teams are young, NP will be back should they and Lourdes be in the same section next year. Lourdes defense and goalie are very nice, they were probably the difference, though Mason is very good in goal for the Trojans, as a junior he'll have some say in who wins the section next year. Lourdes loses a couple of top defensemen but their forwards should improve making them pretty darn good as well.

Was the linesman from West? Bruggeman was his name, the same kid who played for the Scarletts a couple of years ago?

Good luck to Lourdes at state
OU812

Post by OU812 »

Congrats to Lourdes.

In the end, seems to me that goaltending (both great and not-so-great) was the story for this section, especially in the playoffs. Hats off to Heimer and Morris for backstopping these two good teams to the final.
davey

Post by davey »

goldy313 wrote:Just some thoughts....

The better team won, not to disrespect New Prague in anyway. Had they played the first two periods they way they played the third it may have been a different game. They were pretty defensive the first two, once they opened it up they Lourdes on their heels a bit. The power play that led to the Eagles goal may have been, technically, the right call but wasn't in the spirit of the game. I hate that about Anderson, the officiating was letting them play. At least a hook and interfernce could have been called on New Prague earlier and a pretty clear goalie interference could have been called on Lourdes but were let go in the spirit of the game then Anderson calls that? Garbage call. New Prague has to score to win so that call didn't cost them the game but still....

Nice atmosphere, people may complain because it's in Rochester but the venue fits the game. Even with Wayzata and EP playing Mariucci seemed empty, that wasn't the case with this game. Both student sections were impressive, as were both bands.

Both teams are young, NP will be back should they and Lourdes be in the same section next year. Lourdes defense and goalie are very nice, they were probably the difference, though Mason is very good in goal for the Trojans, as a junior he'll have some say in who wins the section next year. Lourdes loses a couple of top defensemen but their forwards should improve making them pretty darn good as well.

Was the linesman from West? Bruggeman was his name, the same kid who played for the Scarletts a couple of years ago?

The linesman was Andrew Bruggeman who played for the Scarlets a couple years ago
nickel slots

Post by nickel slots »

davey wrote:
goldy313 wrote:Just some thoughts....

The linesman was Andrew Bruggeman who played for the Scarlets a couple years ago
And he did a bang-up job. I've seen him work some NAHL games this year and he's done a great job there, too. I wish we had more refs out there with his professionalism and passion for the job. I would rather have seen him with the stripes last night than the other ref in question.
Don't sweat the small stuff.
It's all small stuff.
hockeydad

Post by hockeydad »

Want to talk about the venue. I've never been a big fan of the Rec Center, but then I'd never been there for a packed game like last night. Lourdes fans were great, so were the NP fans once they all got in their seats... seemed like they were a little late in arriving

I noticed the new glass and was told by a worker they installed new boards and glass last spring. I know I've seen a lot of funny bounces in the past and didn't this year. I've heard complaints about ice conditions in the past, didn't hear as much this year, so I'm wondering if they also upgraded the refrigeratoin system.

However, parking is ridiculous there, and the main entrance is a bottleneck. Having the concession stand right next to the entrance means people walk three steps in the door and stop, trying to figure out where to go. It would be nice if they could do something about that.

I'm not as down on the rink as I have been, but still not sure if Owatonna wouldn't be a better place for 1A finals - also a little more of a neutral site. I know Graham is Lourdes' home ice, but there's still that big Lourdes logo painted on the south wall.
Edger

Post by Edger »

Another good year for 1A.
Great to see classy posts in here today also.
Was hoping that was the take on Bruggeman's performance.
Very good referee. Kid has potential to be very good at it. Hope he sticks with it. Hope Lourdes plays well at the X this year.
hockeydad

Post by hockeydad »

edger... your last sentence reminded me I forgot to wish the Lourdes team good luck.

Bring home the gold and do 1A proud!
Hockeybro

Post by Hockeybro »

Congratulations to Lourdes for receiving the #3 seed in this years tournament. They have a great chance to represent and make section 1A proud!

Go Eagles!
Dog_Log17

Post by Dog_Log17 »

I would like to congratualte Lourdes for winning section 1A. It is cool to see a team from 1A get seeded in the top 4 at state.

I am disapointed in Mankato West's effort against Red Wing. They did not show up for the 1st period and it cost them big time. I question some of the personnel decisons on the power play, I do not understand why #17, who is a big kid, was not on the power play much setting up in front of the net during the 2nd half of the season. They instead used a really small forward in this role #2. Also I know they were thin on D but putting the freshman #3 on the point for the powerplay but this kid looks like he is scared out there and had no buisness on the powerplay. Everytime he touched the puck he was scared and acted like the puck was a hot potatoe. I hope he can shake this because he is big and has some talent.

I think next year will start out slow for West. They are lacking fire power and D will varsity experience. I think they will finsish strong if the new kids from bantams can get adjusted to the next level. They have some good skaters coming up from Bantams and the future looks bright for West. Maybe not next year but the next couple of years to follow they should be a really good team.

The Bantam A's finished really strong. They won there district and have won there first 2 games in the regional tournament and play in the championship game today gainst Woodbury to go to the Bantam A state tournament.

Good Luck to Lourdes at state, I will be cheering for them as they will be representing section 1A.

Until next year, take care everyone.

Dog_Log17