Big 9

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

timcorbin21

Post by timcorbin21 »

I'm not a "hockey guy" but have been a hockey parent for a while in outstate Minnesota.
I understand the effort to protect High School Hockey, some part of the effort seems a little anti-american. How do we reconcile the fact that we have some taxpayers that have the right to have their kids play hockey and some don't. If I'm paying for a school system I should have the right to the same services as everyone else.
Secondly hockey in rural is very different than the metro and it may be that a different set of rules need to apply. distance makes it very hard to jump ship from one program to another. There are also very few options to take advantage of.
Part of the talent outflow from the Big 9 may be due to a Elite and Elite II hockey. Some kids that haven't gotten exposure of any kind sometimes shine when the light finally hits them. Short term this may be a problem long term I think it brings more quality athletes into high school hockey.
Wagoner should play
BOTCH #3

Post by BOTCH #3 »

Any Big 9 teams scrimmaging this weekend or that have already scrimmaged?
scarlethockey33

Post by scarlethockey33 »

Mankato East - They will struggle this season. They ended their JV program this season with only 15? people who signed up. They lost a ton of guys to graduation, guys like Ries, Billar and Willaert who was one of the highest scoring lines in the Conference. They don't have anyone significant returning other than their Junior Lucas Weihe, who they will need to win games this season which I think they will but not against any Big 9 competition.

Century - They return top scorers in Anderson and Faupel. They lose Brock Kautz, but they still have their goaltender who brought them to the X two years ago, senior Cam Sellnow. They return much of their defense from what I remember only one defensemen graduated

Austin - Austin loses their only notable player in Aaron Dooley. Austin will probably compete with East to be the worst in the Conference. They beat East last year when East had the Ries line, so I don't know why they couldn't do it again this year. I'm willing to state that Austin will be better than East this season.

Mankato West - My hometown team, the Scarlets have a good setup coming into this season. The Scarlets return their top scoring line with Brown, Resner, Olsen and they also return a healthy Weber along with Frentz. Also earlier noted (maybe it was in the 1A topic) West has a Finnish exchange student and has been heard to be a very good addition. If he meets up to the talk, West could very well have two solid scoring lines. They return senior goalie Jake Kaufman. The problem will lie among their young defensemen.
West graduated Matt Campbell and don't forget Nate Jose. Both which saw a large portion of ice time for the Scarlets. From the roster last season, none of the returning varsity defensemen will be seniors. I think the question for the West is can the defense be a solid enough as a unit to stop top tier teams like a Century or a Faribault or even a Lourdes in the case of their section.
hawkhockey

Post by hawkhockey »

scarlethockey33 wrote: Century - They return top scorers in Anderson and Faupel. They lose Brock Kautz, but they still have their goaltender who brought them to the X two years ago, senior Cam Sellnow. They return much of their defense from what I remember only one defensemen graduated
didnt faupel leave to play juniors?
itech22

Post by itech22 »

scarlethockey33: Faupel, and Anderson have left for Russell Stover and Kautz is playing for Owatonna Express. Century will be way down this year. I think that Albert Lea, Faribault, and my dark horse in JM will have the best opportunity to win the Big 9. Albert Lea will have the best player in Carlson and Faribault will probably have the most rounded team. The reason I picked JM is they return almost everybody. Mayo, and West will compete week in and week out with these teams and probably beat some of them. Winona, East, Owatonna, and especially Austin (BAD) will find it hard to win alot of games. It will be a competitive for the most part but nobody will move on come section time. Lourdes will slide through in 1A and a Lakeville school will come out on top in 1AA. This is the worst the big 9 has been in years.
Sioux Fan

please rate the top 3 players and what they bring to rink

Post by Sioux Fan »

Carlson is a nice player I like Sean Lipinski a lot at Faribault.

Usually we have at least 9 to 10 real strong players Drew Weber at West is pretty good.

Please list the top 3 players at each team if you would I have lost touch.

Can u do that Itech22 you are all over it?

I cannot wait for the season to start.
Fighting Sioux Forever
topgun

Hi Tyler

Post by topgun »

scarlethockey33 wrote:Mankato East - They will struggle this season. They ended their JV program this season with only 15? people who signed up. They lost a ton of guys to graduation, guys like Ries, Billar and Willaert who was one of the highest scoring lines in the Conference. They don't have anyone significant returning other than their Junior Lucas Weihe, who they will need to win games this season which I think they will but not against any Big 9 competition.

Century - They return top scorers in Anderson and Faupel. They lose Brock Kautz, but they still have their goaltender who brought them to the X two years ago, senior Cam Sellnow. They return much of their defense from what I remember only one defensemen graduated

Austin - Austin loses their only notable player in Aaron Dooley. Austin will probably compete with East to be the worst in the Conference. They beat East last year when East had the Ries line, so I don't know why they couldn't do it again this year. I'm willing to state that Austin will be better than East this season.

Mankato West - My hometown team, the Scarlets have a good setup coming into this season. The Scarlets return their top scoring line with Brown, Resner, Olsen and they also return a healthy Weber along with Frentz. Also earlier noted (maybe it was in the 1A topic) West has a Finnish exchange student and has been heard to be a very good addition. If he meets up to the talk, West could very well have two solid scoring lines. They return senior goalie Jake Kaufman. The problem will lie among their young defensemen.
West graduated Matt Campbell and don't forget Nate Jose. Both which saw a large portion of ice time for the Scarlets. From the roster last season, none of the returning varsity defensemen will be seniors. I think the question for the West is can the defense be a solid enough as a unit to stop top tier teams like a Century or a Faribault or even a Lourdes in the case of their section.
topgun

Post by topgun »

scarlet hockey 33 (I mean Tyler) good to hear from you
Miracle1980

Preseason Thoughts

Post by Miracle1980 »

I will try and list some of the better kids from memory. I'm sure I will leave off some players, so I apologize in advance.

Albert Lea
Carlson
Stolt
Hacker
Enstad

Faribault
Teske
Lipinski
Helgeson

Mankato West
Weber
Frentz

Owatonna
Thompson
Feichtinger
Ebeling
Whited
scarlethockey33

shows how much i know about century :lol:

did forgaard graduate with faribault as well? if so whose in net for them this year?

I don't remember hearing that much from jm last year, they might not graduate much but do they have what it takes to pull it all together? nothing really pops out at me about JM other than the fact that they have many returning players.

I think Faribault has a good chance at it, a dark horse at most for JM, Albert Lea always is in the middle of things as long as Roy is coaching there and I like West's chance this year because of their schedule.

They'll be able to settle things in unlike last season, before they play probably their first important Conference game v. Faribault. West will play Waconia, Wascea and a not very good Winona team which will give them some confidence going into the match up with Faribault.

also i forget how does the scoring go for Big 9? does the first game count? or is it the second game?
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

From the Big Nine page...

Albert Lea returns their top 2 scorers in Carlson and Stoldt, gradutated 7 kids including both of their goalies. Depth is always an issue for the Tigers but coaching is solid. If they can find a goalie to step up their is no reason look past Albert Lea.

Austin has struggled the past few seasons, the loss to graduation of a very, very under rated goalie in Aaron Dooley won't help the Packers either. They do return 2 of their top 4 scorers in Isaac Gorman and Marcus Stoulil and their numbers while not spactacular aren't bad either.

Faribault ended last season on a bad note losing to Red Wing in the semi-finals. Outside issues probably had a large effect on that and that's too bad but kids are kids. They probably have the conferences best player returning in Lipinski but did lose a ton of their scoring as Putrah and Ritchie combined for over 100 points. Aaron Fogaard returns after splitting time with Andreas last season.

East lost everyone who scored a goal in a Big Nine game last season, they do get Lucas Weihe back in the nets and will need him to be very good to get some wins. They've fallen on hard times numbers wise as well.

West gets their second leading scorer in Nate Olsen back along with 3 other kids in Frentz, Brown, and Resner who totaled more than 10 points last season. Jake Kaufman returns between the pipes after playing all but 26 minutes of last season.

Century lost most of their scoring to graduation and AAA, their best returning player is defenseman Nick Raehsler. Luckily Century was pretty young last season and even though a couple of kids left there is some experiance there. Sellnow didn't get much playing time as off ice issues took him away from the game to start last season, he did lead the Panthers to the state tournament in 2009 however so lack of experiance won't be an issue.

John Marshall lost less than 10 points in scoring to graduation and returns their 10 leading scorers from last season along with Brian King between the pipes. The Rockest steadily improved last year after losing to some really poor teams and getting blown out by some mediocre ones early on. Scoring was an issue fror the Rockets all season long only getting more than 3 once, Zach Johnson was the only Rocket with more than 20 points while only Yetzer and Mackey had more than 15. If they get some scoring they'll be in the hunt.

(I'll try and finish with Owatonna, Mayo, and Winona later)
GopherPuck15

Post by GopherPuck15 »

I did a Section 1A preview, and here is the Big Nine teams involved with that preview:

Here's the top returning scorers from each team, as well as top goaltenders, in my predicted order of team finish in Section 1A this year. This list includes everyone that is eligible to return this season, so some players may have left the Section due to playing juniors.

2.Faribault Falcons: The Falcons faltered in the Section 1A semifinals last season to Red Wing, a disappointing finish to a season that had high expectations and promise. They'll be hurt by graduation, and from rumors, possibly by juniors as well. Faribault has talented forwards who can do it all, they like to play a more physical style than the Eagles, but they have some very skilled forwards as well.

Top Returning Goaltender:
Senior #30 Aaron Forgaard 12-3-0 2.42 GAA .894 Save Percentage

Top Returning Scorers:
Senior Forward #14 Sean Lipinski 24-22-46
Senior Forward #21 Jack Helegson 11-17-28
Senior Defenseman #18 Colbey Hullett 2-14-16
Senior Defenseman #7 Brandon Teske 2-7-9

3.Mankato West Scarlets: The Scarlets had a rough start to last season, and they grew together as the year went on to put on a pretty decent end to the season, with some good hockey late in the year. They return 5 of the top 6 forwards, including #10 Drew Weber who missed almost the entire regular season last year with an injury. The Scarlets have young defenseman, including two juniors, a sophomore, and a freshmen. The Scarlets have pretty good team speed, but sometimes struggle to score.

Senior #33 Jake Kaufman 11-14-1, 2.96 GAA .896 Save Percentage

Top Returning Scorers:
Senior Forward #22 Nate Olsen 9-15-24
Junior Forward #27 Landon Brown 12-5-17
Junior Forward #18 Tyler Resner 8-8-16
Senior Forward #14 Andrew Frentz 7-7-14

4.Albert Lea Tigers: Coach Roy Nystrom loses some key players to graduation, but returns arguably one of the most talented players in Section 1A in #12 Eric Carlson. This looks to be another typical hardworking, gritty Albert Lea team, with one talented line of forwards who will produce a majority of the scoring. The Tigers have a large question mark in goal this season, as they graduated two last year.

Senior #30 Darien Weigel 0 games played

Top Returning Scorers:
Junior Forward #12 Eric Carlson 28-16-44
Senior Forward #10 Dillon Stolt 16-17-33
Junior Forward #14 Levi Hacker 8-8-16
Senior Defenseman #3 David enstad 2-8-10

10.Austin Packers: Austin was greatly improved from the 2008-2009 year in which they were winless. Austin will struggle yet again this year, without goaltender Aaron Dooley and their top scoring line. They will struggle in all aspects of the game, and will have to use this season as a learning experience for the younger guys in the program to try and salvage it sometime in the future.

Senior #1 Alex Sheldon, 39 min, 6.54 GAA, .872 Save Percentage

Top Returning Scorers:
Sophomore Defenseman #11 Marcus Stoulil 11-4-15
Senior Defenseman #3 Josh Detwiler 2-4-6
Senior Forward #6 Josh Hart 3-2-5
Senior Forward #29 Devin McCune 5-0-5

11.Mankato East Cougars: With only 15 players, no JV team, and a huge hit from graduation, the Cougars will be learning and trying to somehow rebuild their program this season. They return three players with any varsity experience at all, and only one goal scored among those three, and three points amongst them. The lone bright spot for the Cougars will be in net behind #30 Lucas Weihe. He will be tested often all season, and will be the Cougars only change at winning a game this year.

Junior #30 Lucas Weihe, 4-13-0, 4.70 GAA, .860 Save Percentage
Senior #1 Dylan Meyer, 5-2-0, 5.58 GAA, .829 Save Percentage

Top Returning Scorers:
Senior Defenseman #16 Derrick Davis 1-0-1
Sophomore Forward #3 Nick Yess 0-1-1
Sophomore Forward #24 Brent Adams 0-1-1
Big Nine Observer

Post by Big Nine Observer »

Points are usually a result of opportunity. Player A will always have more points than Player B if Player A is on all the powerplays or put on a line with the most skilled players. Here in Rochester, I can recall plenty of mediocre players looking good on the stat sheet because of where they were placed or extra ice time provided. Also, if I recall Weber (Mankato West) and Thompson (Owatonna) missed the majority of their seasons last year because of injuries. Points can be used as a guide, but never should be used solely in determining who is a good player or not.
scarlethockey33

this is true, but in that case if points possibly mean more time on the ice, clearly you should assume the coach/team depends on that player for the reason that they are a "good" player which means giving them more time on the powerplay,pk and even strength.
GopherPuck15

Post by GopherPuck15 »

Owatonna gets shelled by Delano, 7-2.
Last edited by GopherPuck15 on Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marty McSorely

Post by Marty McSorely »

A Big 9 allstar team couldn't beat a Lakeville team for the section titile.
Sioux Fan

Post by Sioux Fan »

Was Wagoner in the lineup?
Fighting Sioux Forever
GopherPuck15

Post by GopherPuck15 »

Owatonna loses 8-2 today to Milwaukee, Wagoner didn't play in either game according to mnhockeyhub.

Faribault over Dodge County 5-3.
itech22

Post by itech22 »

Just to do some touching up on players. Austin did lose Isaac Gorman to russel stove in omaha so that certainly didn't help Austin. The only other school not mentioned is Mayo which returns a few players. Top forwards are Mcmasters, Sederquest, and it appears from the paper the other day that Serratore was moved from D to a forward. I hear they have a real good player possibly there best that is an exchange student from Sweden. He is a defensmen. The other D would be Dingle. Mayo appears to be young this year.
timcorbin21

Post by timcorbin21 »

did faribault lose a couple of goalies i thought there was going to be forgaard and sorenson but it looks like both are gone.
BOTCH #3

Re: please rate the top 3 players and what they bring to rin

Post by BOTCH #3 »

Sioux Fan wrote:Carlson is a nice player I like Sean Lipinski a lot at Faribault.

Usually we have at least 9 to 10 real strong players Drew Weber at West is pretty good.

Not necessarily the best three, but were the top producers for East in their scrimmages this weekend:

3 Games on Saturday For East:
Dylan Boettcher: 3 G, 2 A
Jordan Wenzel: 2 G, 3 A
Ben Neyers: 2 A
Lucas Weihe is the only experienced varsity player for East as he has been starting since his freshman year.
hocmom

Post by hocmom »

itech22 wrote:Just to do some touching up on players. Austin did lose Isaac Gorman to russel stove in omaha so that certainly didn't help Austin. The only other school not mentioned is Mayo which returns a few players. Top forwards are Mcmasters, Sederquest, and it appears from the paper the other day that Serratore was moved from D to a forward. I hear they have a real good player possibly there best that is an exchange student from Sweden. He is a defensmen. The other D would be Dingle. Mayo appears to be young this year.
My friend has a player on the Stover team. She told me that Gorman did not make the team. Not sure where he went.
GopherPuck15

Post by GopherPuck15 »

BOTCH #3 wrote:
Sioux Fan wrote:Carlson is a nice player I like Sean Lipinski a lot at Faribault.

Not necessarily the best three, but were the top producers for East in their scrimmages this weekend:

Lucas Weihe is the only experienced varsity player for East as he has been starting since his freshman year.
Mr Boettcher, those players, including yourself, will be lucky to double those totals this year.

Good Luck to everyone as their seasons get going tomorrow! I have to work out of town tomorrow and wednesday, so I won't catch any action, hopefully a few of you can get to games tomorrow!
BOTCH #3

Post by BOTCH #3 »

GopherPuck15 wrote:
BOTCH #3 wrote:

Mr Boettcher, those players, including yourself, will be lucky to double those totals this year.

Good Luck to everyone as their seasons get going tomorrow! I have to work out of town tomorrow and wednesday, so I won't catch any action, hopefully a few of you can get to games tomorrow!
Well put, GopherPuck15. As true as that could be, I'm hopeful that the Cougars can prove you wrong this year.
OU812

Post by OU812 »

I agree Botch. Derrick Davis will be back for East soon, and Carter J also. Hopefully the next three games go better for the Cougars.