Predictions for Advanced 16 and 17 national team.

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

ssmhockey14

Predictions for Advanced 16 and 17 national team.

Post by ssmhockey14 »

Any predictions as we near the end of the weekend?
conditioningsucks

Post by conditioningsucks »

The players who 'won' the Reebok equipment giveaway. Things that make you go .....hmmmmm.

List those players off and you are well on your way to picking the final teams.
Jimbo99

Post by Jimbo99 »

conditioningsucks wrote:The players who 'won' the Reebok equipment giveaway. Things that make you go .....hmmmmm.

List those players off and you are well on your way to picking the final teams.
Yes, that was interesting. Wasn't it?
Factsmatter1

Re: Predictions for Advanced 16 and 17 national team.

Post by Factsmatter1 »

ssmhockey14 wrote:Any predictions as we near the end of the weekend?
See the other thread on this...
Saywhat?03

Post by Saywhat?03 »

Aaaaaand who were those players for those of us that werent able to attend at Plymouth this weekend?
conditioningsucks

Post by conditioningsucks »

[quote="Jimbo99"][quote="conditioningsucks"]The players who 'won' the Reebok equipment giveaway. Things that make you go .....hmmmmm.

List those players off and you are well on your way to picking the final teams.[/quote]

Yes, that was interesting. Wasn't it?[/quote]

Yep, kind of smacks of product positioning at the National Festival by Reebok through a 'giveaway' at this regional festival. Hope I am wrong, but the garbled list I heard over the loudspeaker was chock full of 'blue chippers'.

If this was true, and I may be wrong, I feel bad for the kids in that 1) they were led to believe they had a chance of 'winning' the stuff, and 2) that this stuff was awarded prior to the last game - and if truly awarded to the 'blue chippers', the final game was moot.
BoDangles11

Post by BoDangles11 »

on with the predictions...
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

Watched todays games. In the game between blue16s and red 17s for whatever reason, #12 and 11 on the blue didn't play the second half of the game[A.J. was 12 Janze was11] both looked good in the first half.
Guru20

Post by Guru20 »

Watched a lot of the games this weekend, here's my best guess for the final team.

Ranked in order by position:

16's

Skjei *Hearing Skjei can't play so I would add Pedrie
Johnson
Peterson
Freberg
Horton
Aspinwall

Close, may make it or be alternates, Freemark, Halverson and Pedrie.
Wouldn't be surprised to see Pilot or Carney make it on name/past alone.

Michaelson
Brenk
Stepan
Arentz
Osterberg
Torrel
Steman
Commers
Paulson
Besse

Close to making it or may be alternates Guentzel, Vesel, Randolph, Nanne, Merchant. I actually thought a couple of these guys were in the top 10 Forwards I saw this weekend, but in my opinion it wasn't enough. Nanne would make my team for sure.
Wouldn't be surprised to see Jancze, Faust, or Coatta make it on name/past alone.

Franke
Cates

Alternate Olson.

17's

Molenaar
Cotroneo
Welinski
Everson
Fleming
Schurhamer

Close to making it, maybe alternates Bullock, Bushey, Ostlie, Robert.
Schulze and Hall made it last year so it could be interesting.

Birkibine
Hurley
Zajac
Sampson
Brodzinski
Becker
Steinhauser
Bahe
Horn
Frawley

Close to making it or could be an alternate Cameranesi, Walker, DeCenzo, Fogarty.
Sit, and Schutt made the Final 16 team last year.

Engum
Girard

Lindgren had the best numbers so he is close, Coyne gave up 5 goals in the last game with a lot of penalty shots, and Glockner is solid.

for whatever reason, #12 and 11 on the blue didn't play the second half of the game[A.J. was 12 Janze was11]
I heard that Michealson was feeling sick, and Jancze had to leave to play in another game. Not sure what sport?

Who were the players that won the Reebok giveaway?
Last edited by Guru20 on Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
puckhouse27

Post by puckhouse27 »

heres my best list after watching this past weekend for the 16s. I heard skjei cant make it based on the fact that he is already committed to the national program not sure though.

defense.
1.aspinwall
2.johnson
3.Pilot
4.freeburg
5.horton
6.moore

forwards.
1.Michaelson
2.stepan
3.guentzel
4.osterberg
5.faust
6.arentz
7.torrel
8.paulson
9.besse
10.brenk.

goalies.
1.cates
2.franke
jancze5

O

Post by jancze5 »

for 16's the Guru is really pretty on it except for two kids I really really liked, Jake O'BORSKY. Kid is one of the best in the state, he deserves to be going and Zach Thompson, goalie from Denfield, that kid is flat out a stud in net.

Jordan actually left the game because he was in the school play at Hill Murray and had his final performance yesterday. AJ and Janczer were both sick Saturday after sharing a sandwich at Jimmie Johns, both were puking before/during/after the 2nd game (food poisoning?) AJ was still feeling the ills Sunday. There are alot of deserving players, any group that is selected earned it. The 16 blue/17 red first half was one up and down chippy asss game, really fun to watch the grittiness of the 17's and the competitiveness the 16's played with.

Good luck to all those that make it
New England Prep School Hockey Recruiter
Night Train

Post by Night Train »

Advance 16 National Camp guess

Halverson Wayzata
Aspinwall Maple Grove
Freberg Maple Grove
Johnson Hill Murray
Horton Benilde
Pedrie Apple Valley

Faust Hill-Murray
Guentzel Hill-Murray
Kuchera Eagan
Osterberg Lakeville South
Paulson Maple Grove
Jancze Hill-Murray
Arentz Lakeville South
Michaelson Apple Valley
Pieper Shattuck
Steman Maple Grove
Stepan Shattuck
Hallenberg Wayzata

Cates Stillwater
Jecha Benilde

Interestingly, a few of the Shattuck players did not impress. I was ready for them to stand out. Duluth East, and the other northern players, didn't show quite enough in my estimation. Hill-Murray is very solid at 94 and a very good 94 player of theirs, Zach Lavalle, wasn't even there as I heard he's injured. Lavalle could have made 5 of 20 from Hill-Murray in my opinion. Guentzel was not a pick of mine going in but the little .... lead the whole tourney in scoring. The D are all outstanding but because I watch forwards Kyle Osterberg would be my #1 pick.

http://www.mnhockeyhub.com/page/show/17 ... l-54-2010-
Guru20

Post by Guru20 »

for 16's the Guru is really pretty on it except for two kids I really really liked, Jake O'BORSKY. Kid is one of the best in the state, he deserves to be going and Zach Thompson, goalie from Denfield, that kid is flat out a stud in net.
I did not think O'Borsky looked very good. I watched him very closely knowing that he made the 15 Team last year, and I don't see him much being from Red Wing. Not putting the kid down cause he is definitley talented and only a 9th Grader, but in my opinion from his play he is not close to making the Final 16 Team. On a side note, heard this weekend that O'Borsky is going to Benilde next year........................

Thompson is a stud and unbelievably athletic. He gave up more goals this weekend then any other goalie in either the 16's or 17's, so I didn't think he was going to make the Final Team, but his future is as bright as any player's at the Festival.
Interestingly, a few of the Shattuck players did not impress. I was ready for them to stand out.
I agree and I was surprised. Guess it just shows that it doesn't matter where you're from, the talented who work hard will rise to the top.
starmvp

Post by starmvp »

Guru20 wrote:
I did not think O'Borsky looked very good. I watched him very closely knowing that he made the 15 Team last year, and I don't see him much being from Red Wing. Not putting the kid down cause he is definitley talented and only a 9th Grader, but in my opinion from his play he is not close to making the Final 16 Team. On a side note, heard this weekend that O'Borsky is going to Benilde next year........................

Thompson is a stud and unbelievably athletic. He gave up more goals this weekend then any other goalie in either the 16's or 17's, so I didn't think he was going to make the Final Team, but his future is as bright as any player's at the Festival.
Interestingly, a few of the Shattuck players did not impress. I was ready for them to stand out.
I agree and I was surprised. Guess it just shows that it doesn't matter where you're from, the talented who work hard will rise to the top.
Oborsky was a sophomore this year
Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 »

Night Train...You must be someone from the South Metro. Huh? I think they take people from other areas than just the South Metro.

Better add Gage Torrel to your list and possible Brenk from Moorhead. Strange to think Torrel would not be on your list. Reasons?
Night Train

Post by Night Train »

Torrel would be on my bubble. I like him as a player. Brenk, not.

Let's see your list.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

I thought #10 from the blue 16s Holappa from East looked good.[sun vs red 17s]
bstarr15

Post by bstarr15 »

That being said if he were to transfer to BSM O'borsky would have to sit a year unless family moves and changes address, that's how I understand it.
That would be to bad for Redwing and new coach coming in and all.He's a nice player thats for sure.
observer

Post by observer »

I presume they're moving as it's a long drive from Red Wing to Benilde 5 days a week. There are also some public to private allowances should the family decide not to move but would still like Jake to attend, and play hockey for, Benilde. I think the Reilly's buddy from Chaska that came to play with them at Holy Angels this past season was immediately eligible without a move. Maybe based on academic opportunity?
surehockey

Post by surehockey »

How many of these kids predicted advanced last year? Also, how many have already been picked before this weekend to advance?

Post by 12345 »

For some reason, people often think that Shattuck has this "magical formula" for developing NHL hockey players. They don't. They're a school and a business. They take players (sometimes very average players) and give them an exceptional hockey/school opportunity they'll have for a lifetime. They end up developing some pretty great players, in the end, because they practice four-five times per week and they have an exceptional hockey coach at the Prep level. They also have created a program that is well respected throughtout the world, and therefore, attract more scouts than the typical Minnesota high school hockey game. There are very few kids who walk out of that school without some sort of a scholarship. Exposure matters.

As the kids get older, it becomes harder and harder to stand out at this level. In the long run, it's not about scoring... it's about understanding the game and making good decisions. For some kids, this is difficult to show during the tryout process because others become selfish and don't always make the smart play - they'd rather "put up the points". This is difficult for some of the better players - they just don't play that way.

The school is amazing (class sizes around 10); the friendships formed with kids around the world is priceless; and the fact that the students' world is focused on school and sports keeps them out of trouble. I would imagine that it's an experiece that any parent would likely foster.

Regardless, though, in the end, as we know, our 16 and 17 year old kids are the only ones who can decide in the end if they want to work harder to become better. Some do, some don't and nobody can predict whether their kid will or won't. HOWEVER, those that choose Shattuck walk away with more than a hockey experience, they walk away as a better person.

I'm not trying to start a fight here... just trying to help people understand that there are different avenues - those who are lucky enough to be accepted into Shattuck MAY be one step closer to success. Which is, ultimately, the goal we're all trying to reach.
Saywhat?03

Post by Saywhat?03 »

So does anyone know when the players will find out who made there respective teams?
Night Train

Post by Night Train »

It's not really a team as around 20 players are selected to attend the Advanced 16 or 17 USA Hockey camp but they are split up and placed on various teams when they arrive in NY.

The players were told they'd learn by May 15th.
bstarr15

Post by bstarr15 »

why such a long delay in posting the players selected???
Kind of leaves them hanging a long time doesn't it?
Good luck to whomever makes the squad, thought the 94 group was pretty strong class.
observer

Post by observer »

Hey, any more dirt on who won the 20 CCM/Reebok prizes? Pretty sure it was promoted as a drawing but someone mentioned all the prizes went mysteriously to the top kids. Seem weird? We've heard that there are politics involved but now even politics in winning prizes?