Who will win 1A??

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

blackpuck22

Who will win 1A??

Post by blackpuck22 »

This section has been tight all year. But who will win it...?
Hockey God.

Post by Hockey God. »

I think the Albert Lea Tigers will win it because they have the best coach in the state. :lol:

Or the team that can win the big games when it counts at playoff time. :D
Black Ice

Post by Black Ice »

Despite the loss to Albert Lea I like Faribault as the favorite yet. It's hard to beat the Tigers this time of year in Albert Lea. Nystrom has had time to get them clicking together, as he does every year.
Top 3:
1) Faribault
2) Lourdes
3) Albert Lea
clutterbuck22

Post by clutterbuck22 »

Tonights game between Faribault and Lourdes could go a long way in answering that question. I think Lourdes will win this section though.
SEMinnHockeyNut

Post by SEMinnHockeyNut »

I think you also have to include New Prague, Northfield, and Red Wing in the group of teams that could win the section. None of these teams are as good as the teams that West, Lourdes, and Albert Lea have sent in recent years.

Is West really down in talent or do they miss Essay that much?
MAYO SPARTANS!
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

Lourdes was beating Faribault 6-3 late in the 3rd when I turned the gameoff (KDHL).

It probably makes the top 3 in some order Red Wing, Lourdes, and Albert Lea as they've all beaten each other. I'd give the edge to AL as even though they lost to Lourdes they beat the 2 teams Lourdes lost to both by 5-2 scores. It's kind of a weird situation as Red Wing and Albert Lea have losing records overall but intrasection have the best.

Faribault may have played themselves from a 1 seed to a 4 seed this week.
clutterbuck22

Post by clutterbuck22 »

goldy313 wrote:Lourdes was beating Faribault 6-3 late in the 3rd when I turned the gameoff (KDHL).

It probably makes the top 3 in some order Red Wing, Lourdes, and Albert Lea as they've all beaten each other. I'd give the edge to AL as even though they lost to Lourdes they beat the 2 teams Lourdes lost to both by 5-2 scores. It's kind of a weird situation as Red Wing and Albert Lea have losing records overall but intrasection have the best.

Faribault may have played themselves from a 1 seed to a 4 seed this week.
6-3 was the final. Next game for Lourdes is at Breck. Game can be seen on mnsportsnetwork.com. Video Broadcast.
Wing Hawk

West Coaching

Post by Wing Hawk »

SEMinnHockeyNut wrote:I think you also have to include New Prague, Northfield, and Red Wing in the group of teams that could win the section. None of these teams are as good as the teams that West, Lourdes, and Albert Lea have sent in recent years.

Is West really down in talent or do they miss Essay that much?
Absolutely Essay is sorely missed!!!!! The new coaching seems clueless because some good talent remains including goal tending by Kaufman. I can't figure out what is going on and apparently neither can the coaching staff.
OU812

Post by OU812 »

West 7
Austin 0

Kaufman in net for West.

Albert Lea is looking good lately. By beating Faribault they may even have earned the top seed over the Falcons. New Prague, Lourdes, Northfield, and Red Wing should also be in the top six seeds.

Btw, I think the West kids are actually pretty happy with the coaches. The Scarlets started this season slowly but have played better lately, winning 4 of their last 5 including a quality win over Holy Family this week.
blackpuck22

Post by blackpuck22 »

I think Albert Lea and lourdes will be going after the section. Fairbault has good talent but they just dont put forth the effort. lourdes and Albert Lea will be a tight game. They both are strong teams
nickel slots

Post by nickel slots »

Even though there are still some HUGE games to be played in this section, seeding will come down to how the teams are playing coming into sections. I wouldn't want to have to seed this section, but as of today, I would say:

1-4 (in any order depending on who's hot coming in):
Albert Lea, Lourdes, Faribault, New Prague
5. Red Wing
6. Northfield
7. West
8. East
9. Waseca
10. Austin
11. LaCrescent

Albert Lea has beaten Faribault, Red Wing, West, Northfield & Waseca and lost to New Prague & Lourdes. They have remaining section games against West, East & Austin.

Lourdes has beaten NP, Albert Lea, East & Faribault and lost to Northfield & Red Wing. They have a big matchup with New Prague and a game with West for remaining sectional matchups.

New Prague has beaten Albert Lea, West, East, split w/RW, tied Northfield and lost to Faribault & Lourdes early. NP has 2 huge rematches remaining with Lourdes and Northfield.

Faribault has beaten New Prague, West, Northfield (OT) & East and lost to Albert Lea and Lourdes. They don't have any real head-to-head section games left on their schedule. This team was the consensus #1 coming in and have faltered significantly lately.

Red Wing has been schizonphrenic. Beating Lourdes, Northfield & New Prague and losing big to AL & NP. The only remaining section 1a game is with Northfield.

Northfield has 3 huge section seeding games remaining with NP, West & RW. I believe they could leapfrog RW if they beat RW and win 2 of the 3.
Don't sweat the small stuff.
It's all small stuff.
GopherPuck15

Post by GopherPuck15 »

The favorite as of today has to be Albert Lea..but are they peaking too early?

It looks like West is starting to figure it out, we'll see once again tonight how they handle East..This section is just nuts now with Fairbo losing to Lourdes as well.
hockeydad

Post by hockeydad »

Three teams are hot right now

Lourdes has won 8 of last 9 games (loss to Mound)

New Prague has 6 wins and a tie in last 8 games. (loss to Holy Angels, tie with Northfield)

Albert Lea has won 5 of last 6. (Loss to Winona)

Faribault, Red wing and Northfield have been inconsistent as of late.

Assuming everyone wins the games they should against lesser teams the rest of the way, I'd say the winner of Lourdes vs. New Prague on Saturday should get the No. 1 seed.

Faribault, Albert Lea and Red Wing will battle for No. 3. Unless Northfield gets hot again like they were in late December they've played themselves down to the No. 6 seed.

People have made the case that Albert Lea is the best team right now. I'm not agreeing or disagreeing, but I'll point out that seeding takes the entire season into account. Albert Lea has 10 losses, including losses to both New Prague and Lourdes and I don't think you can give them the top seed unless they win all their remaining games (which looking at their schedule is very possible) and New Prague and Lourdes go into a big slump. I don't see that happening, but the way this section has gone this year anything is possible.
OU812

Post by OU812 »

Question: How much does recent play count in the section seeding?

Does the way a team is playing at the end of the season count more than how they played at the beggining? What about teams that get "hot" in the last month of the regular season?
hockeydad

Post by hockeydad »

Every coach has their own philosophy when seeding. I think a team that gets hot at the end of the season will get a push, but I dont' think it can push a team with 10 losses to the No. 1 seed. Albert Lea could very well win the section, but I can't see them getting the top seed.
Getemupscout

Post by Getemupscout »

Seedings for 1A
Lourdes
albert Lea
Fairbault
Red wing
New Prague
Northfield
West
East
Austin
La cresent

Final write it down
nickel slots

Post by nickel slots »

Getemupscout wrote:Seedings for 1A
Lourdes
albert Lea
Fairbault
Red wing
New Prague
Northfield
West
East
Austin
La cresent

Final write it down
I can 100% guarantee that you're wrong.
It's all small stuff.
Getemupscout

Post by Getemupscout »

I know the top six are right on.
nickel slots

Post by nickel slots »

Getemupscout wrote:I know the top six are right on.
Care to place a wager?
It's all small stuff.
Garry Bettman

Post by Garry Bettman »

Lourdes would be my choice for #1 seed.... i dont think anyone else down here could play breck 2-1.... Beating faribault 6-3 is also pretty impressive..
blackpuck22

Post by blackpuck22 »

That is the dumbest thing i've heaed. Albert lea barely lost to lourdes at the beginning of the season and they beat Fairbault 6-4. Im pretty they would be tight with breck too then
Black Ice

Post by Black Ice »

Getemupscout wrote:Seedings for 1A
Lourdes
albert Lea
Fairbault
Red wing
New Prague
Northfield
West
East
Austin
La cresent

Final write it down
You're wrong because your list doesn't have Waseca on it.
PoNd HocKey ChAmP67

Post by PoNd HocKey ChAmP67 »

blackpuck22 wrote:That is the dumbest thing i've heaed. Albert lea barely lost to lourdes at the beginning of the season and they beat Fairbault 6-4. Im pretty they would be tight with breck too then
you can't just look at scores from the beginning of the year and say albert Lea can play with breck cuz they played with Lourdes at the beginnig of the year. Cuz if you want to play that game than Northfield should beat breck by two :lol: cuz they beat Lourdes by three in the beginnig of the season..
scarlethockey33

Post by scarlethockey33 »

bad deductive reasoning hahaa

lourdes played breck close
albert lea played lourdes close
thus albert lea could play breck close as well
Rookie19

Post by Rookie19 »

New prague vs Lourdes 1-1 OT Final .