Bloomington Jefferson @ Eden Prairie 1/19

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins?

Poll ended at Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:16 pm

Eden Prairie
67%
Bloomington Jefferson
33%

Total votes: 36

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

EP's special teams are fun to watch. Jefferson built a little momentum for a while there but it faded at the end, and that goal with .9 might be a back-breaker.

Bjugstad may be a better pro prospect, but after watching Rau's performance tonight, I just might argue that he's the best player in the state.
Gov78

Post by Gov78 »

Jefferson has no answer for Rau. He walked around the D the last 2 times up the ice and won the faceoff and got the intial shot toward the goal on the 5th goal with .9 left in period.
GopherHockey

Post by GopherHockey »

karl(east) wrote:EP's special teams are fun to watch. Jefferson built a little momentum for a while there but it faded at the end, and that goal with .9 might be a back-breaker.

Bjugstad may be a better pro prospect, but after watching Rau's performance tonight, I just might argue that he's the best player in the state.
He is pretty good. Does he have any offers? Don better get on that soon..
HockeyMN1

Post by HockeyMN1 »

GopherHockey wrote:
karl(east) wrote:EP's special teams are fun to watch. Jefferson built a little momentum for a while there but it faded at the end, and that goal with .9 might be a back-breaker.

He better get on this whole junior class. Molenaar, Rau's, Rath's, Ford, McCartan - They work very well together.
EP two out of three.
deanertronterry

Post by deanertronterry »

Jags pull goalie woodley and put in sophomore eric fabano.
HockeyMN1

Post by HockeyMN1 »

4 and change left in the 3rd, still 5-2
EP two out of three.
HockeyMN1

Post by HockeyMN1 »

5-3 Final. Jefferson scores a garbage goal at the end, Eagles solidify themselves among the state's elite.
EP two out of three.
deanertronterry

Post by deanertronterry »

Jefferson still can't seem to figure out. EP was definitely the better team tonight
theoneandonly1

Post by theoneandonly1 »

GopherHockey wrote:

He was in attendence at the game.
HockeyMN1

Post by HockeyMN1 »

theoneandonly1 wrote:
GopherHockey wrote:

He was in attendence at the game.
And so was a Maple Leafs scout I heard.
EP two out of three.
toptitty96

Post by toptitty96 »

I thought Jags dominated a lot of the play in the 2nd and 3rd. Penalties and goaltending hurt them a lot tonight. I thought they looked better than what the final score indicates. We'll see the shots. They were reported 25-24 EP after 2 and I would think that Jefferson wins the shot battle in the end. I don't know what to make of the game, but I didn't think Jefferson looked bad at all. In my opinion the score could've been even, but in the end a loss is a loss and a win a win. EP looked good and the Jags shot themselves in the foot.
schwang17

Post by schwang17 »

for those who watched - from the sounds of it it sounds like Rau was the difference maker. Big difference talent wise? Thoughts on the game?
HockeyMN1

Post by HockeyMN1 »

schwang17 wrote:for those who watched - from the sounds of it it sounds like Rau was the difference maker. Big difference talent wise? Thoughts on the game?
Yea he is starting to control almost every game the Eagles play and he is the best player on the ice every time out. I'm sticking with my argument (if you remember) earlier in the season that he is a better hs player than Bjugstad. Maybe we'll see a rematch at state of the semi's from last year if the Eagles find a way past Tonka at the Target Center?
EP two out of three.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

schwang17 wrote:for those who watched - from the sounds of it it sounds like Rau was the difference maker. Big difference talent wise? Thoughts on the game?
Rau definitely was the star, yes. The EP PP might be the best I've seen all year, and though they gave up a few when shorthanded, I liked what I saw out of the PK, too. Their special teams are brilliant. The top line does do the vast majority of their scoring, but the other lines more than hold their own when they're out there. There were a few defensive breakdowns, though, and Ford needs to work on controlling some of the rebounds he gives up.

Jefferson looked better as the game went on, though I never really felt that EP was in jeopardy. When Pauluk and Faust step up into the attack they really cause a lot of problems. Herbert had a very nice goal too. Their real problem in this one was the awful start to the game; not quite sure where the blame should go for that...maybe it was mental unpreparedness, maybe it was the goaltending, maybe the chippiness.

I do think EP is the better team, but not so much better that the re-match will be a foregone conclusion.
keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup »

I can't remember a player any more important to his team than Kyle Rau. The kid is simply the best player in high school hockey. Every night every opponent knows the key to slowing down EP is number 7 and he just keeps filling the stat sheet. Smartest high school player I've seen since Broten.
HockeyMN1

Post by HockeyMN1 »

keepyourheadup wrote:I can't remember a player any more important to his team than Kyle Rau. The kid is simply the best player in high school hockey. Every night every opponent knows the key to slowing down EP is number 7 and he just keeps filling the stat sheet. Smartest high school player I've seen since Broten.
I remember this one guy...Nick Leddy
EP two out of three.
keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup »

In my opinion Rau's play at state last year was on par with Leddy's. $ state championships in a row...don't bet against a 5th.
HockeyMN1

Post by HockeyMN1 »

keepyourheadup wrote:In my opinion Rau's play at state last year was on par with Leddy's. $ state championships in a row...don't bet against a 5th.
Trust me, if he stays I'm not betting against a 6th :D
EP two out of three.
keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup »

Amen to that Hockeymn1
gerryodrowski

Post by gerryodrowski »

About time someone outside of Eden Prairie figured that out.
Doglover

Post by Doglover »

deanertronterry wrote:5-2 with .9 sec left

killed all jaguar momentum

Herbert with the dumb penalty
Congrats to Rau on an excellent game. Unfortunately for the Jags, the penalties continue to be their undoing. Especially with the strength of EP's PP, stupid to take penalties unless absolutely necessary.
Lakeviewing

Rau Kid.

Post by Lakeviewing »

The Kyle Rau kid is a true finisher at EP. If the Don at the U of M doesn't recruit this kid, it is sad for the Minnesota program to let this kid get playing a tough schedule in the LAKE scoring goals and assists to let him get away to a Wis. CC, St. Cloud, Bemidji or Duluth programs is really bad. The Don, didn't recruit the older brother being Chad Rau, that lit up scoring his senior year at CC. This kid needs to be in maroon and gold. This kid is a pure goal scorer. He is better than Bjustad, Benick and so on to make others on his line better.
karl(east) wrote:
Rau definitely was the star, yes. The EP PP might be the best I've seen all year, and though they gave up a few when shorthanded, I liked what I saw out of the PK, too. Their special teams are brilliant. The top line does do the vast majority of their scoring, but the other lines more than hold their own when they're out there. There were a few defensive breakdowns, though, and Ford needs to work on controlling some of the rebounds he gives up.

Jefferson looked better as the game went on, though I never really felt that EP was in jeopardy. When Pauluk and Faust step up into the attack they really cause a lot of problems. Herbert had a very nice goal too. Their real problem in this one was the awful start to the game; not quite sure where the blame should go for that...maybe it was mental unpreparedness, maybe it was the goaltending, maybe the chippiness.

I do think EP is the better team, but not so much better that the re-match will be a foregone conclusion.
Lakeviewing

Sectional Final

Post by Lakeviewing »

Personally, this section final comes down to Ford at EP vs Krueger at Tonka. Both teams can score goals. i give a slight edge to EP.
gerryodrowski wrote:

About time someone outside of Eden Prairie figured that out.
cuda701

Post by cuda701 »

toptitty96 wrote:I thought Jags dominated a lot of the play in the 2nd and 3rd. Penalties and goaltending hurt them a lot tonight. I thought they looked better than what the final score indicates. We'll see the shots. They were reported 25-24 EP after 2 and I would think that Jefferson wins the shot battle in the end. I don't know what to make of the game, but I didn't think Jefferson looked bad at all. In my opinion the score could've been even, but in the end a loss is a loss and a win a win. EP looked good and the Jags shot themselves in the foot.
I agree..........
It was the goaltending that made the difference more than one EP player. Although, give the player credit. The Jags are lacking in this position.
Last edited by cuda701 on Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
cuda701

Post by cuda701 »

sog?