White Bear Lake vs Hill-Murray @ 12:30 pm (12-30-09)

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who takes it?

WBL
25%
Hill-Murray
75%

Total votes: 20

got some

Post by got some »

Extremely fun to watch. The Bears had a fire in them that I have not seen for a long time. It seems that they were finally ready to end the losing streak, but fell short once again. It's really too bad they couldn't capitalize on their power play with three minutes remaining in the third...

The Bears dominated in shots on goal, too (particularly in the second period). It ended around 32 - 22, I believe.

Hockeyfan2 - Agreed. That goal was BS. There were AT LEAST three pioneers in the crease.

Birki's goal was INSANE. Sickest thing I have seen in quite a while. :shock:

... Anyone know where Gjerde was???
Goldfishdude

Post by Goldfishdude »

wblhockeyfan8 wrote:From my angle, which was on the WBL side, I watched Jordan cover the puck, proceed to endure a great deal of hacks and slashes. I watched the net come off after 6 seconds of slashing, the puck rolled in and the ref called it off and then immediately on again.

During the scrum Jordan had his glove, blocker and stick removed, as well as his masked damaged.

How any referee could stand by and not blow the whistle is beyond me.

I know it's only Schwans cup, but seriously.

A moral victory for White Bear Lake, I can sense good things coming from now on. Sections will tell a different, WBL oriented story for sure.

EDIT: I should add, Jordan played fantastic.
I said "respectable" from a stat standpoint because his GAA was 4.00 and his save % was only .875.... But when you hold Hill to an 0-7 on the PP, the goalie is the best defense in short-handed situations, and he is bouncing back after his Mounds View game.

He is a much more athletic goalie, in the Shaughnessy mold, than Schletty, but lacks the size and goal crease discipline of Schletty, and that's what gets him in trouble..

It will be interesting to see who Sir Duke chooses to go against this week, as WBL has East Ridge, Park and CDH...

No... Hill outshot WBL 32-23 according to Poinstreak....... because if Jordan gave up 4 goals on 23 shots, then he took a step backwards, as I stated Shaughnessy had a soft game with 3 goals on 23 shots, and was soft in Hill's opening game loss with 5 goals on 20 shots... You can't have games like this an expect to win too many...
Last edited by Goldfishdude on Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hockeyfan893

Post by hockeyfan893 »

[quote="got some"] Extremely fun to watch. The Bears had a fire in them that I have not seen for a long time. It seems that they were finally ready to end the losing streak, but fell short once again. It's really too bad they couldn't capitalize on their power play with three minutes remaining in the third...

The Bears dominated in shots on goal, too (particularly in the second period). It ended around 32 - 22, I believe.

Hockeyfan2 - Agreed. That goal was BS. There were AT LEAST three pioneers in the crease.

... Anyone know where Gjerde was??? [/quote]

According to the Schwan Cup gamesheet the shots were 32 -23 in favor of Hill Murray, not White Bear.

http://www.pointstreak.com/players/play ... id=1178127
wblhockeyfan8
Location: White Bear Lake, MN. Front row of the student section.

Post by wblhockeyfan8 »

got some wrote:Extremely fun to watch. The Bears had a fire in them that I have not seen for a long time. It seems that they were finally ready to end the losing streak, but fell short once again. It's really too bad they couldn't capitalize on their power play with three minutes remaining in the third...

... Anyone know where Gjerde was???
Suspended for some rough housing in the AHA game. :lol:

He shouldn't miss any games outside of the tourney.
Always celly hard.
got some

Post by got some »

WOW, either I was high (nothing out of the ordinary coming from white bear :lol: ) or the gamesheet is wrong!

I'll go with the ladder 8) :o
hockeyfan893

Post by hockeyfan893 »

[quote="got some"]WOW, either I was high (nothing out of the ordinary coming from white bear :lol: ) or the gamesheet is wrong!

I'll go with the ladder 8) :o[/quote]

Eh, it could or could not be wrong. Personally, I recall the shots being in Hill's favor, however at this point it doesn't really matter. White Bear still looked a bit out-matched by the Pioneers, although they were much more impressive than the first game against Hill this season, seems that they've started to catch their stride.

Fun game nonetheless.
Pioneerprideguy

Post by Pioneerprideguy »

Congrats Pioneers on a nice win today and solid showing overall in the Tourney. Also. congrats on the JV winning the title in the gold division.

Today's game looked the teams do playing 3 days in a row this time of year-little sloppy but not a lack of effort. Hill has more talent, but WB played with more effort than their first meeting. Hill's D got turned inside-out a couple of times in their end and gave up a beautiful goal. I had to laugh watching the Bears celebrate when they tied the game and when they went ahead. Sager & the boys acted like they had won a first round state tournament game! Hill responded with 2 quick goals to end the lovefest on the WB side. Fun game and nice to keep that streak alive.

Now the grind that is the month of January. Most of the nonconference games are over and sections are too far off to think about. You start seeing conference teams a couple of times and teams start settling in on who they are. As for the Pioneers, when they match their talent with effort, they are a very strong team. They are obviously beatable & I suspect another loss or two prior to sections. But I know the coaching staff will bring this team along and have them play their best when it means the most.

Happy New Year to all the Pioneer People (and to those that love to hate us). :wink:
Goldfishdude

Post by Goldfishdude »

hockeyfan893 wrote:
got some wrote:WOW, either I was high (nothing out of the ordinary coming from white bear :lol: ) or the gamesheet is wrong!

I'll go with the ladder 8) :o
Eh, it could or could not be wrong. Personally, I recall the shots being in Hill's favor, however at this point it doesn't really matter. White Bear still looked a bit out-matched by the Pioneers, although they were much more impressive than the first game against Hill this season, seems that they've started to catch their stride.
Fun game nonetheless.
It's because the WBL coaching staff and the players are getting the strong messages that this Goldfishdude is sending to them.... PLAY BETTER OR I WILL RIP YOU!!!

And PPG??? Thanks again for the well wishes, and be careful driving tomorrow night... We all know how you can get carried away.... :^o
wbhockey02

Post by wbhockey02 »

mngophs04 wrote:
MedleyWR wrote:
wbhockey02 wrote:I know i'll take alot of heat for this, but quite frankly i don't give a rat's behind.
Last time i checked there was a rule called man in the crease, The rule reads “When the puck is in the Attacking Zone and not in the goal crease, a player of the attacking team may not stand on the goal crease line or in the goal crease, hold his stick in the goal crease or skate through the goal crease. If the puck should enter the goal while such a condition prevails, a goal shall not be allowed. For violation of this rule, while the attacking team has possession of the puck, play shall be stopped and a face-off held at the nearest Neutral Zone face-off spot.

hill had about 4 on that last goal and there was no whistle which is total BS, so once again Hill gets the refs on their side :x

On another note did anyone catch that sick goal by Birki, I was like :shock:
There were about half a dozen players in the crease, the puck was burried underneath them. The ref swallowed his whistle then the net got knocked off and the ref waived the goal off. Then he changed his mind and signaled goal. Unfreakin' believable! But, the last two games have shown that the Bears can play with the top teams. They have awakened from their hibernation.
Ridiculous. But not surprising when Hill is the opposing team...
:P =D> =D> =D>
Hockeyfan#8

Post by Hockeyfan#8 »

Pioneerprideguy wrote:Congrats Pioneers on a nice win today and solid showing overall in the Tourney. Also. congrats on the JV winning the title in the gold division.

Today's game looked the teams do playing 3 days in a row this time of year-little sloppy but not a lack of effort. Hill has more talent, but WB played with more effort than their first meeting. Hill's D got turned inside-out a couple of times in their end and gave up a beautiful goal. I had to laugh watching the Bears celebrate when they tied the game and when they went ahead. Sager & the boys acted like they had won a first round state tournament game! Hill responded with 2 quick goals to end the lovefest on the WB side. Fun game and nice to keep that streak alive.

Now the grind that is the month of January. Most of the nonconference games are over and sections are too far off to think about. You start seeing conference teams a couple of times and teams start settling in on who they are. As for the Pioneers, when they match their talent with effort, they are a very strong team. They are obviously beatable & I suspect another loss or two prior to sections. But I know the coaching staff will bring this team along and have them play their best when it means the most.

Happy New Year to all the Pioneer People (and to those that love to hate us). :wink:
so are you trying to say you like watching boring games with no emotion :?:
"If your not first, your last" R.B.
Pioneerprideguy

Not at all, just saw a major difference of celebrating. Hill scores, and it's the typical fist bump with the bench. WBL scores, and it's a pile on the bench with Sager pumping his fists in the air. Not a big deal, just an observation. I recall watching HM celebrate with the leap into the bench many times and laughed at it then.
Goldfishdude

Post by Goldfishdude »

Pioneerprideguy wrote:Not at all, just saw a major difference of celebrating. Hill scores, and it's the typical fist bump with the bench. WBL scores, and it's a pile on the bench with Sager pumping his fists in the air. Not a big deal, just an observation. I recall watching HM celebrate with the leap into the bench many times and laughed at it then.
We have a saying, eh, PPG??/

Act like ya been there..... 8)
proudfan

Bears played with determination

Post by proudfan »

Hey goldfishdude, are you really a WB fan? Your snide remarks towards the coach and team are uncalled for.
If you were brave you would take your comments to the coaching staff.
Thanks for your support, now I'll be ripping on you.
youngblood08

Re: Bears played with determination

Post by youngblood08 »

proudfan wrote:Hey goldfishdude, are you really a WB fan? Your snide remarks towards the coach and team are uncalled for.
If you were brave you would take your comments to the coaching staff.
Thanks for your support, now I'll be ripping on you.

Do your homework, and Good Luck with that. Fishy is a Good Guy.
fanatichockeyguy

Post by fanatichockeyguy »

The Bears are a very low class team. They score a goal and act like they won the Stanley Cup. Not to mention the countless cheap hits behind the play and hacking and slashing going on. # 17 on the Bears should not be allowed to play that kid is a health hazard to other teams players. Ive never seen some one be so cheap and classless.

As for the actual game it was entertaining. WBL had way more energy than Hill and they looked like the harder working team. Hill definitely wasnt happy about being in the consolation game and their effort reflected it. The last goal was questionable but i dont think it would have mattered the way hill was pooring on the shots in the early third period. As soon as they got the goal they sat back and played D. Regardless of today, the Friday night game in March at the coliseum will be a good one.
proudfan

Post by proudfan »

The Bears are the only team that has guts to play the top 3 recuiting private schools in the state
Goldfishdude

Post by Goldfishdude »

proudfan wrote:The Bears are the only team that has guts to play the top 3 recuiting private schools in the state
Yes and no.... Game 1 vs Hill was scheduled..... STA and AHA and H-M #2 were virtue of a tourney schedule... So, it can't be necessarily called "guts"... WBL easily could have played two non-privates in games 2 and 3. But, YES, their efforts were solid in games 2 and 3...

You could also throw in that WBL plays Cretin twice, too, which is no cupcake. And WBL faces Cretin a week from this Saturday...

Just an add-on... The Classic Suburban Conference foes like Tartan, NSP, SSP all have to play STA and H-M twice!!! Our friends to the direct East, Mahtomedi also play #2A ranked Breck twice... OUCH!!
Pioneerprideguy

proudfan wrote:The Bears are the only team that has guts to play the top 3 recuiting private schools in the state
Schools like Cretin, Benilde, Totino are not gonna be happy that their recruiting efforts are falling behind. Their recruitment staffs put in as much work as other private schools and offer the same incentive packages to kids, but somehow they didn't crack the top 3. HM offers two Olympic size swimming pools, STA boasts the best looking coeds in school, and AHA offers free transportation. Tough to compete against all that. :wink:
wbhockey02

Post by wbhockey02 »

fanatichockeyguy wrote:The Bears are a very low class team. They score a goal and act like they won the Stanley Cup. Not to mention the countless cheap hits behind the play and hacking and slashing going on. # 17 on the Bears should not be allowed to play that kid is a health hazard to other teams players. Ive never seen some one be so cheap and classless. .
:-({|= It's a hockey game not fricken girl scouts give me a break, and I also suppose holding down a player (Rogers) on the ice and punching him, is classy and fair play, get over it dude, It's Hockey!!!!!
MedleyWR

Post by MedleyWR »

fanatichockeyguy wrote:The Bears are a very low class team. They score a goal and act like they won the Stanley Cup. Not to mention the countless cheap hits behind the play and hacking and slashing going on. # 17 on the Bears should not be allowed to play that kid is a health hazard to other teams players. Ive never seen some one be so cheap and classless.

As for the actual game it was entertaining. WBL had way more energy than Hill and they looked like the harder working team. Hill definitely wasnt happy about being in the consolation game and their effort reflected it. The last goal was questionable but i dont think it would have mattered the way hill was pooring on the shots in the early third period. As soon as they got the goal they sat back and played D. Regardless of today, the Friday night game in March at the coliseum will be a good one.
Yes, those low class Bears had 7 penalties during the game, while the refined, immaculate Pioneers only had 6. Webster's dictionary defines classless as: "Any hockey team having 7 or more minor penalties". It defines high class as: "Any hockey team having 6 or fewer minor penalties" So, fanatichockeyguy, you have obviously done your homework and identified the Bears as the low life scum that they are. By the way, that nefarious number 17 had one penalty, while one of the Pioneers had 2! It must be a scoring error. Now, I will go back to my cave to wallow in the shallow existence provided me by my inferior public education.
If you can't say something nice, don't say anything.
Mr.Penalty

Post by Mr.Penalty »

wbhockey02 wrote:
fanatichockeyguy wrote:The Bears are a very low class team. They score a goal and act like they won the Stanley Cup. Not to mention the countless cheap hits behind the play and hacking and slashing going on. # 17 on the Bears should not be allowed to play that kid is a health hazard to other teams players. Ive never seen some one be so cheap and classless. .
:-({|= It's a hockey game not fricken girl scouts give me a break, and I also suppose holding down a player (Rogers) on the ice and punching him, is classy and fair play, get over it dude, It's Hockey!!!!!

Agreed...but remember Hill is a private school and all they teach is respect and how to handle situations the correct way :lol:

Its teenage boys with sticks in their hands and gloves on their fists...let them have a little fun \:D/
Mr.Penalty

Post by Mr.Penalty »

oh may i ask...Lechner, hows your car?! :lol:
stpaul

HM - WBL

Post by stpaul »

12*

* = and counting

See ya in March, Bears.

Just for fun, let's review the 12 games one more time.

12/6/05 - HM 1, WBL 0, Hoeffel with the winner.
3/3/06 - HM 5, WBL 4, 2OT, Section Final.
12/5/06 - HM 2, WBL 1, OT, Larson with the winner.
12/28/06 - HM 3, WBL 2, Schwan Cup 3rd Place Game.
3/2/07 - HM 3, WBL 1, Section Final.
12/22/07 - HM 5, WBL 2, HM's 25th Anniversary Night for the 1983 State Champs.
12/27/07 - HM 6, WBL 3, Schwan Cup Semi-final Game.
2/29/08 - HM 2, WBL 1, Section Final. HM wins State Title the next week.
12/23/08 - HM 5, WBL 2.
3/4/09 - HM 5, WBL 4, OT, Section Semi-final.
12/15/09 - HM 5, WBL 0.
12/30/09 - HM 4, WBL 3, Schwan Cup Consolation Final.
Goldfishdude

Post by Goldfishdude »

MedleyWR wrote:
fanatichockeyguy wrote:The Bears are a very low class team. They score a goal and act like they won the Stanley Cup. Not to mention the countless cheap hits behind the play and hacking and slashing going on. # 17 on the Bears should not be allowed to play that kid is a health hazard to other teams players. Ive never seen some one be so cheap and classless.

Yes, those low class Bears had 7 penalties during the game, while the refined, immaculate Pioneers only had 6. Webster's dictionary defines classless as: "Any hockey team having 7 or more minor penalties". It defines high class as: "Any hockey team having 6 or fewer minor penalties" So, fanatichockeyguy, you have obviously done your homework and identified the Bears as the low life scum that they are. By the way, that nefarious number 17 had one penalty, while one of the Pioneers had 2! It must be a scoring error. Now, I will go back to my cave to wallow in the shallow existence provided me by my inferior public education.
=D> \:D/ Meds, buddy.. .. take a deep breath, and come out of the cave and join the party!!! After all, for those of you who aren't familiar with the term "nefarious", it's the same daffynition that sums up me - Goldfishdude!! :oops:
Goldfishdude

Post by Goldfishdude »

Mr.Penalty wrote:
wbhockey02 wrote:
For as many fundraisers the WBL players have to do, it would be easier to be Girl Scouts and just sell cookies, man!!