Section 1A 09-10

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup »

The post refered to the incoming sophs and freshmen at Lourdes, Tyler Vessel will not be among them
Rocket78

Post by Rocket78 »

ok, tyler went to Shattuck, Rory stayed at Lourdes. GetemUp was also talking about Chezick, Kurth and Wasz so I assumed...blah blah blah
4AAhockeystud

Post by 4AAhockeystud »

So lourdes got one of the Vessel brothers? I think Red wing got hurt pretty bad by graduating kids. I just don't know how much competition Faribault will have this year in the section. Red wing will fight some and maybe East.

Other than that i see Faribault coming out of this section
weatherthestorm

Post by weatherthestorm »

from what it looks like rw lost alot of defense. although they are returning 2 of the top 3 leading scorers from last year and their tender. it will be interesting. fairbault will need to be watched and lourdes could possibly pull it off
Redlightdistrict

Post by Redlightdistrict »

This section is completely up for grabs this year. All 5 of the top seeds from last year took huge losses to graduation.

Red Wing- Great players in Schammel and his crew.
Lourdes- Top 7. Enough said. Huge Loss.
N.P.- Lapic brothers and Adams. All of their scoring basically.
A.L.- Two nice players in Prescher-Smerud and Prihoda gone. Adams too.
M.W.- Good player Andrew Bruggeman and crafty forward Chris Zimmerman.

I have absolutely no clue who will come out on top this year but i would guess faribault and a toss up for the rest.
scarlethockey33

Post by scarlethockey33 »

My guesses for the section:

Lourdes - Finds a way to stay near the top but can't make a late section surge to the state tournament.
- Top 3: 2nd

New Prague - Their goalie will be able to pull some wins out but the team will need to transition to a more defensive focus with the lapics and adams gone.
- Finish 4th

Albert Lea - Loses a good first line from graduation but Coach Nystrom is a great coach and knows how to get his boys working to their potential.
- Middle of section 5th or 6th

Faribault - I am calling this right now, Faribault wins the section. Very talented they almost upset Lourdes last year. If they play every game how they did that one, this team is a force.
- Top 3, 1st

Mankato West - Graduation takes away all but two of Mankato West's state team from two years ago. Last year the scoring worries were cleared up by Andrew Bruggemen but now who'll step up for the Scarlets?
- Middle of section 6th or 7th.

I know I forgot Red Wing, but to tell you the truth I don't know much about their team to make a comment about them. I do through have them finishing 3rd by the sounds of things.

1. Faribault
2. Lourdes
3. Red Wing
4. New Prague
5. Albert Lea
6. Mankato West
7. Northfield or Mankato East
9. LaCrescent
10. Waseca
11. Austin
"Once a Scarlet, Always a Scarlet"
jackstraw

Faribault

Post by jackstraw »

This Faribault group is set to make a run. This will be one of the better Sec. 1 teams we have seen in a few years. They have competed very well with top metro teams coming up the youth ranks. If a goaltender can step up, this team could really turn heads.
Lourdes should be tough as always, the end result will depend on how the boys coming off the bantam squad adjust to the high school game.
Another bit on Faribault, look for them to be good for more than just this year.
4AAhockeystud

Re: Faribault

Post by 4AAhockeystud »

jackstraw wrote:If a goaltender can step up, this team could really turn heads.
I heard that they got a new goalie from another association not sure if thats true.

Red wing to challenge faribault for the section
keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup »

No question that Faribault has a nice group but they played very few top metro teams at the youth level. They did make a nice showing at regionals in Marshall 3 years ago but did not advance. Not a knock on the team but they avoided metro teams for years.
Black Ice

Post by Black Ice »

Faribault looks like the favorite. Followed by Lourdes,Redwing and Albert Lea. East could surprise some teams. They had 2 new young goalies last season and I would expect them to be better. They had little experience in their defensive group. They return 2 starting defensemem and have a third with some varsity minutes. I also heard they may have added a new defenseman that wasn't on the team last season. They get back one of their best forwards from injury who missed all of last year. They return their top 7 scorers and top 8 of 9 forwards, almost all seniors.
GopherPuck15

Post by GopherPuck15 »

This section should be very interesting, as come tourney time, it'll be a dog fight as although Faribault is the favorite, there are many teams capable of putting it together late in the year, as well as riding a hot goaltender, etc, that could land them a spot at the X in March.
Jim9000

Post by Jim9000 »

This is usually the thread with the most posts.....a bit boring lately...what's up?

Alot of teams open up tonight....Any thoughts...

Anybody see any other scrimmages, or see any surprises tonight...bunch of new players and a few new coaches in the mix this year.

[b]AL[/b] vs. Waseca
East vs. [b]Holy Family[/b]
New Prague vs. [b]New Ulm[/b]
LaCresent vs. [b]Winona[/b]
Red Wing vs. [b]Mayo[/b]

bold ...my picks...picked upset with NP & NU...heard NP lost alot, and is very undisciplined
OU812

Post by OU812 »

Saw Mankato East play this past weekend, (7-2 win) and they look very good at the forward position. Should be interesting to see how East does tonight against Holy Family, who routed East last year.
Albert Lea looked just okay in scrimmages against West and Mayo the previous weekend, without much scoring in either effort. Faribo is as good a pick as any for the 1A title at this point, at least.
GopherPuck15

Post by GopherPuck15 »

Mayo:7 Red Wing:4

I know it's early, but from the looks of it early, the team to beat in this section will be Faribault, followed up by Rew Wing, East, West, Albert Lea and New Prague.(not in any order..)

In my opinion this section is completely up for grabs. Anyone can beat anyone more than ever this year in this section, and it's going to be a fun season.

Huge Games for Faribault this weekend and next week with New Prague and West.
Getemupscout

Post by Getemupscout »

I know it's early, but from the looks of it early, the team to beat in this section will be Faribault, followed up by Rew Wing, East, West, Albert Lea and New Prague.(not in any order..)

This is Lourdes section for sure. It may be very weak section this year, but will consist of Lourdes in Finals again.
4AAhockeystud

Post by 4AAhockeystud »

Any predictions on those games for Faribault coming in the next couple weeks?
GopherPuck15

Post by GopherPuck15 »

And the section is, without a doubt, WIDE OPEN.

New Prague:6(ENG) Mankato East:4
hockeykid7

Post by hockeykid7 »

GopherPuck15 wrote:And the section is, without a doubt, WIDE OPEN.

New Prague:6(ENG) Mankato East:4
Or maybe not..... Faribault 5, New Prague 1
watchthis

Post by watchthis »

Fairbault was deffinatly th better team in the first 2 periods.. however NP competed very well in hte 3rd period.. if NP plays like they did in the 3rd period i see a completly different game
OU812

Section 1A

Post by OU812 »

Faribo beating NP 5-1 was the first real "statement" result in section 1A this season. A lot of teams hoped to compete for the section title, but if Faribo is really four goals better than NP, then they are the clear favorite (so far).
slash

Re: Section 1A

Post by slash »

OU812 wrote:Faribo beating NP 5-1 was the first real "statement" result in section 1A this season. A lot of teams hoped to compete for the section title, but if Faribo is really four goals better than NP, then they are the clear favorite (so far).
From what I saw in the 3rd the 4th line was in a good part of the time in the Faribo,NP game.
PoNd HocKey ChAmP67

Post by PoNd HocKey ChAmP67 »

theres a new thread with just the scores of this years season

http://www.ushsho.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=21745
crankshaft

Post by crankshaft »

Faribault beats West 5-1, Putrah from Faribault had a hat trick, Faribault out shots West 39-13 would have been worse except for the dominate play of defensman Nate Jose from West with 19 blocked shots.
Lucias Last Dance?

Post by Lucias Last Dance? »

Putrah blows to rockets past the west goalie.....Both happened to get tipped of #20, makes it tough for a goalie to stop it when it goes off your own guys all the time. Give west credit for hanging in for the first couple periods.
I dont recall seeing 19 blocked shots at all, not even both teams combined.
Like it is said, it will be a battle for section 1A....though Fbo is tough, there are a handful of teams that will be able to contend come February!! Should be fun!!
watchthis

Post by watchthis »

i agree... fairbault is at its high point.. section tournament is a long ways away and every team will improve i feel more than fairbault will.. im predicting different scores and an upset during the section tournament with the falcons falling