Ness or Leddy?

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who would take?

Nick Leddy
48%
Aaron Ness
52%

Total votes: 89

biscuit in the basket

Ness or Leddy?

Post by biscuit in the basket »

Last years Mr. Hockey versus this years. These two have very similiar resumes and both bright futures.
Who would you rather have at the blue line?
Lets hear it...
Puck the Sioux, Go Gophers.
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

starmvp

Post by starmvp »

Ness
wbmd

Post by wbmd »

Ness. He has proven it while playing as a freshman at Minnesota when he would actually only be a senior in high school. Much like Jordan Schroeder has.
starmvp

Post by starmvp »

wbmd wrote:Ness. He has proven it while playing as a freshman at Minnesota when he would actually only be a senior in high school. Much like Jordan Schroeder has.
I agree with Ness being better than Leddy, but I disagree with him proving it this year as a freshman at Minnesota. He has not impressed me this year and if he would have stayed and played his senior year at Roseau he could have taken the Rams to state and possibly been crowned Mr. Hockey again.
wbmd

Post by wbmd »

starmvp wrote:
wbmd wrote:Ness. He has proven it while playing as a freshman at Minnesota when he would actually only be a senior in high school. Much like Jordan Schroeder has.
I agree with Ness being better than Leddy, but I disagree with him proving it this year as a freshman at Minnesota. He has not impressed me this year and if he would have stayed and played his senior year at Roseau he could have taken the Rams to state and possibly been crowned Mr. Hockey again.
He wouldn't have been Mr. Hockey again. Since the award is only for seniors, he never would have won it last year if he hadn't accelerated his studies.
starmvp

Post by starmvp »

I did not know that. Thanks for clarifying that.
wbhockey02

Post by wbhockey02 »

If You're talking high school i'd rather have Ness, But college I'd say leddy will be abetter college player, not saying Ness hasn't done a great job this year, but i think Leddy has the more physical aspect and size
blueblood

leddy

Post by blueblood »

Leddy will be a better player than ness in college.

Ness was too timid this year. He should have played a year of juniors or not gone the accelerated route. A few years ago, lucia wanted older players that were bigger and stronger, but he aloowed ness to come and play defense in his first year.

Ness got the glory playing against kids his own age, In the wcha, 1st year freshman are not 17, they are 19 or 20.
HockeyMN1

Post by HockeyMN1 »

Leddy has more speed, more size, and a better shot. Leddy.
EP two out of three.
WiKKeD1

Re: leddy

Post by WiKKeD1 »

blueblood wrote:Leddy will be a better player than ness in college.

Ness was too timid this year. He should have played a year of juniors or not gone the accelerated route. A few years ago, lucia wanted older players that were bigger and stronger, but he aloowed ness to come and play defense in his first year.

Ness got the glory playing against kids his own age, In the wcha, 1st year freshman are not 17, they are 19 or 20.

You're right, they're not 17.... Ness has been 18 since May. So that'd make him nearly 19 now
riverlakes

better shot

Post by riverlakes »

HockeyMN1 wrote:Leddy has more speed, more size, and a better shot. Leddy.
I agree with the better shot part. Leddy is awesome.

It will be interesting to see where Leddy goes in the draft as compared to where Ness was taken. I would be shocked if he wasn't taken in the first round.
winter15

Post by winter15 »

So how big is Leddy? ive read that he's 5'11 some places, other places have him listed at like 6'0. He seemed like a smaller guy when i saw him live at the state tourney.
MNhockey9711

Ness

Post by MNhockey9711 »

Ness is maybe not as big or strong as leddy but Ness is a better all around skater and also alittle better hands. Not to take anything away from Leddy, hes a great player, but Ness has a strong feel for the game and thats the biggest reason he made the jump into the U so nicely this season when he should have still been in highschool.
Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog »

Fortunately the Gophers won't have to pick one over the other. They were lucky enough to get both. :wink:
Domination088

Post by Domination088 »

Gopher Blog wrote:Fortunately the Gophers won't have to pick one over the other. They were lucky enough to get both. :wink:
Amen to that!
Cloquet State 08!
Mr.swampdonky

Post by Mr.swampdonky »

Who is a better skater; I think they are close.
matthebat

Post by matthebat »

I think Ness is better at decision making and that is what puts him ahead of Leddy
Mite-dad

Post by Mite-dad »

So it will be Ness, Leddy, and soon, Schmitt. Who's the better of the three?
Puckhead631

Post by Puckhead631 »

My vote goes to Leddy. Ness is a very quick skater, however, Leddy is bigger and I think he may see the ice better. It wouldn't surprise me if Leddy is faster.

Leddy is very deceptive - similar to Broten or Crowley. They didn't look like they were moving on the ice, however, because of their skating ability was so fundamentally sound, they flew.
hshckfan08

Post by hshckfan08 »

All i can say is the future for gopher defense looks bright.
breakout

Post by breakout »

hshckfan08 wrote:All i can say is the future for gopher defense looks bright.

Add Alt and Helgeson as big boys and it appears to be a good mixture of D types in the future.

I believe the Gophers are only losing RJ Anderson after this season from the D side. Leddy and Helgeson are coming in. Will someone be pushed out or move to forward?
breakout

Post by breakout »

matthebat wrote:I think Ness is better at decision making and that is what puts him ahead of Leddy
I think they are both good decision makers.
gophermadman

Post by gophermadman »

watch ness, then watch leddy. I have seen allot of both and Ness just jumps right off the page. This kid is unreal, he has that quick wit and shifty movement that ovechkin has. IMO, This would be a better argument if it was Ness vs. Gardiner.

In fairness to Leddy, he is an amazing player and I am so glad I get to see him on the gophers bench.

I should also note, these two are completely different in their style of play. We will know next year if Leddy is worth the hype (and I think he is).
BBB

Post by BBB »

Leddy - Bigger and stronger defensively in front of the net and in the corners. Also has a slap shot that exceeds 55 mph. Do you guys realize ness is almost 19 years old and his draft year was last year? He played 3 years of hs and moved on at 18 years old. I don't consider him leaving early.