1A final Lourdes vs. Red Wing: March 5th

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins?

Eagles
42%
Wingers
58%

Total votes: 48

gopherhockey21

1A final Lourdes vs. Red Wing: March 5th

Post by gopherhockey21 »

Who wins and why?
wild= Stanley Cup 09' champions
jackstraw

RW/Lourde

Post by jackstraw »

One team that I find impossible to not like, the other I find impossible to like: go Red Wing!
crankshaft

Post by crankshaft »

public school determination will trump daddys money :P
Catkid17

Wingers

Post by Catkid17 »

Red Wing will win with their speed and totally outplay Louardes, Daddy's Money wont help these boys out on the ice. The game will be back and forth up and down the ice but in the end the Wingers will just be too tough for the Rich Kids.

Wingers - 3

Louardes - 1
TheBlizzard

Post by TheBlizzard »

This game could go either way and there is not a clear cut favorite; I know a lot of people will pull for Red Wing because they are a smaller school that isn't full of "Daddy's Money".

I also think Red Wing will win, they just have been hot lately winning 12 out of their last 13 games, I think they last loss was against SSP in early January or something. The scored will be 5-4, maybe even in OT.

But on the other hand Lourdes shutout NP which in my opinion isn't an easy thing to do with their offense. If they play like that against Red Wing anything can happen. If Red Wing can control that first line of Lourdes and not play from behind they will be fine.

In the Lourdes case; if they let Red Wing get up early they are in big trouble since Red Wing plays great with a lead. The first game was dominated by Lourde 3-1 in my opinion; RW couldn't get anything going against them for some reason. That is why I wanted these teams to play for the section title; because I think RW is a totally different team than earlier in the season.
EAGLESCARDINALS15

Lourdes...Section Champions.

Post by EAGLESCARDINALS15 »

First of all Catkid17, it's spelled "Lourdes", not "Louardes". Maybe you should use some of your daddy's money to buy you an edumacacion. LOL.

Back to the game... This is going to be a close game. I have no doubts about that. I haven't seen Red Wing play but I've been hearing that they've won 12 out of their last 13 games so that tells me they are confident and doing the right things to win hockey games. That's all I know of them though.

As for Lourdes, I have seen them play at various times throughout this season and I can definately say they are a very inconsistent team-but very talented team. They have alot of offense. Even their defense has a lot of offense. They have a top line that CANNOT be matched by anyone in section 1A. I went to the New Prague game last night and they knew about Lourdes top line, obviously, but they couldn't come close to matching up with them. Tyler Lapic and his linemates weren't even on the same level. You can't tell me Red Wing has a line that can match Lourdes top line so Nemanich is going to have to do his best to use the last change to his advantage. The biggest weakness for Lourdes is their defensive zone coverage. If they can buckle down defensively though, their offense will take care of business.

Having all this said. Lourdes has been very inconsistent this season but they have dominated and played hard in the two sectional playoff games thus far. I am not concerned about them being ready to play or not against Red Wing. They will come ready to play...especially with the number of seniors they have on their team this year. And with this being a Section Championship game; it shouldn't be difficult to be fully prepared and on top of your game. I predict Lourdes winning by 2 goals. 4-2. No empty netters, just a two goal win.
TheBlizzard

Post by TheBlizzard »

Lourdes have a good first line; but Red Wing is not too shabby as well:

RW:
B. Schammel 57 points
P. Noesen 49
J. Mensing 37

Lourdes:
T. Voight 57 points
T. Funk 51
C. Peterson 51

Both teams will be prepared for this game; RW & RL all have experienced talented seniors that will not go down without a fight. Lourdes seems to have put it together as of late but you can't deny that RW has been ultra consistant at taking care of buisness.

See you there Thursday!!!
SEMNHOCKEYFAN

Post by SEMNHOCKEYFAN »

Eagles- 4
Wingers- 3
in ot
starmvp

Post by starmvp »

Red Wing will win this one by three
PoNd HocKey ChAmP67

Post by PoNd HocKey ChAmP67 »

This will be a great game! Red Wing has been playing consistent all year long and been playing extremely well in the end of the season and into playoffs. They beat Hermantown, played Holy Angels close at the end of the year, And they stayed hot in the playoffs killing Northfield 9-0 and Albert Lea 5-3. They are deep and work extremely hard.

Lourdes have somewhat underacheived this year. But they most definitly have the talent to pull off this win and "upset" if you wanna call it one. They will need to get good goaltending and theyre scorers will need to step up. They did just have a very impresive win over New Prague and shutting out that explosive top line of the lapics and adams.

Im gonna go with Red Wing, they are easy to like they work hard and have offensive talent. GO PUBLIC SCHOOLS!!!!!

Wingers 5-3
minnesota8puck

Lourdes vs. Red Wing

Post by minnesota8puck »

I think lourdes will pull away with this one in the third period. All three lines are very good and can play with anyone when they want to. If lourdes first line does there job then they will win.That line has so much skill for Red Wing to handle. Best of luck to the Eagles

Lourdes 5
Red Wing 2
Jbone

Re: Lourdes vs. Red Wing

Post by Jbone »

minnesota8puck wrote:I think lourdes will pull away with this one in the third period. All three lines are very good and can play with anyone when they want to. If lourdes first line does there job then they will win.That line has so much skill for Red Wing to handle. Best of luck to the Eagles

Lourdes 5
Red Wing 2
Well I guess it's all up to Lourdes... It's whether they WANT it or not...

Red Wing has a group of competitors and they've been that way all year. This team is so deserving of success with thier consistant effort night in and night out. Coaching staff has been tremendious and their attitudes rub off on all their players.

Defense wins the ship... Red Wing will man the helm.
scarlethockey33

Post by scarlethockey33 »

Lourdes will take it, the seniors have stepped up and brought the lower classmen behind them.

They will strike it first 2-0 then Red Wing will answer with two of their own but in the third, Lourdes comes out big with a goal early, and late in the 3rd to put that nail in the coffin for the Wingers.

Lourdes 4-2
"Once a Scarlet, Always a Scarlet"
dpsaucer5

Post by dpsaucer5 »

Lourdes will win it 4-1. i think they realized they can't take anything for granted after barely beating faribault in the quarterfinals. having the falcons take them to overtime was a real eye opener for them. faribault really tired them out friday and they still were able to get a solid 4-0 win over new prague. they should have all the confidence in the world and i dont believe red wing can do anything to stop them.
dpsaucer5

Post by dpsaucer5 »

Lourdes will win it 4-1. i think they realized they can't take anything for granted after barely beating faribault in the quarterfinals. having the falcons take them to overtime was a real eye opener for them. faribault really tired them out friday and they still were able to get a solid 4-0 win over new prague. they should have all the confidence in the world and i dont believe red wing can do anything to stop them.
flatontheice

Post by flatontheice »

dpsaucer5 wrote:Lourdes will win it 4-1. i think they realized they can't take anything for granted after barely beating faribault in the quarterfinals. having the falcons take them to overtime was a real eye opener for them. faribault really tired them out friday and they still were able to get a solid 4-0 win over new prague. they should have all the confidence in the world and i dont believe red wing can do anything to stop them.
Red Wing takes this 3-1. Red Wing is playing the best hockey of anyone in Class A that I have seen in the past 3 weeks.
Mistah Hockey

Post by Mistah Hockey »

i think the lourdes goalie is just a little to inexperienced for the state tourney. With that said, give me Redwing 5 Lourdes 2
TheBlizzard

Post by TheBlizzard »

Mistah Hockey wrote:i think the lourdes goalie is just a little to inexperienced for the state tourney. With that said, give me Redwing 5 Lourdes 2
Red Wings goalie is not that experienced either; both goalies have similar records except Amendolar has more wins because he has more starts I think. Their GAA are almost the same, the only real difference is that Amendolar has faced quite a few shots than Heimer. From what I remember Amendolar has faced almost double the shots than that of Heimer. Does that make him more experienced in big games? Nah. They will both be crapping their pants before the game; it's going to come down to whoever plays better in front of them and helps them out.
nickel slots

Post by nickel slots »

I have seen both of these teams multiple times this year, and they are both good teams that will represent this section well at the State Tournament. If I were forced to put money on it, I'd take Red Wing. They are better coached, have a better corps of defenseman, their forwards are not quite as good as RL's - but their depth is better, and I would take Amendolar before Heimer any day of the week.
Don't sweat the small stuff.
It's all small stuff.
centrino

Post by centrino »

Although lourdes has a very talented group of players(especially their first line) i would have to put my money on red wing. They have been practically unstoppable as of late. If lourdes can control schammel and the rest of red wings first line it could either way, but i still would have to say red wing will take it 4-1
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

If Lourdes can keep a body on Red Wing's top guys they have a shot. They did that againsyt New Prague and really limited what New Prague could do, that's a great stategy as long as you're tied or ahead so Lourdes needs to not let Red Wing get out front early. I like Red Wings depth and goalie more so I'm picking Red Wing by 2 or 3.

Hopefully we won't end up with a Lourdes adult fan yelling "You're a loser!!!!" at kids at the end of this game unlike at the end of the New Prague game :idea:
TheBlizzard

Post by TheBlizzard »

Another thing to note that might make a difference is penalties and time spent short handed, Red Wing only has 4 PIM while while Lourdes have 24 PIM is their 2 games. Could make a difference. There is going to be a lot of emotion in this game.
Sioux Fan

Post by Sioux Fan »

BUMP What do you guys think the line match ups will be.

George has the last change what do you think he will want?
Fighting Sioux Forever
TheBlizzard

Post by TheBlizzard »

For Red Wing:

Dan Roschen is back defensively which will help them a lot; him and Bryan Mitchell are their best defenders, they will get split up and get paired up with Matt Fairbanks and Alex Hardyman most likely.

For forwards you will see a lot of Blake Schammel, Patrick Noesen & Josh Mensing on Thursday night against the first line of T. Voight, T. Funk & C. Peterson (probably more than they are used to playing but we will see).

But when it comes to the 2nd line I think Red Wing has an advantage. Red Wing can bring in their second line players like Dan Bergeson, George Noesen & either Marc Giorgi, Jared Nelson or Jake O'borsky which fall off significantly in points but do not lack anything defensively compared to the first line in some cases.

I think coach Nemanich will rotate those 2 lines and mix a couple 2nd line players off and on to try to be physical with Lourdes.

For Lourdes:

I haven't seen them play other than one game but I think they will do much of the same as they have done all year, just ride their first line most of the game and try to keep their goalie from taking on a lot of shots. You should see the Voight, Funk, Peterson line out there a lot and for good reason. Lourdes also have some defensive players that can make plays. The one thing that could get Lourdes in trouble is if they come out and try to play too physical and play shorthanded a lot, they are prone to taking a lot of penalties, with that Red Wing is pretty good on the power play.

Where Red Wing could get hurt is if coach digs too far into his bench and throws very inexperienced players out there when some of Lourdes big guns are out there. Lourdes could get hurt if they play some of their big guns too much, if they are playing from behind they might not be able to make a push at the end. If Lourdes goes up on Red Wing early it will be very hard for them go claw back into a game like this.

Should be a great game though; I think both teams know what the other is capable of and will not take them for granted. They have similar records and have both played some tops teams.

But who cares this is just bench talk at this point, the teams are going to have to go out there and lace them up and figure it out. I really don't know who is going to win and who has the overall advantage, both teams have great strenghts and weaknesses, but they pretty much cancel themselves out.
dpsaucer5

Post by dpsaucer5 »

goldy313 wrote:If Lourdes can keep a body on Red Wing's top guys they have a shot.:idea:
they will have a shot? lourdes beat red wing earlier in the season! they have way more than just a shot at winning!