Jefferson

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

lakeconf.hockey

Post by lakeconf.hockey »

jefferson is, in my opinion overrated, way to many close games with poor teams.

if burnsville does not upset them, then i do not see them getting by edina or holy angels
dynamicD

Post by dynamicD »

then you must not watch lake conference hockey....lakeconf.hockey
starmvp

Post by starmvp »

lakeconf.hockey wrote:jefferson is, in my opinion overrated, way to many close games with poor teams.

if burnsville does not upset them, then i do not see them getting by edina or holy angels
Maybe they played it close with poor teams but did they get the win?
gophermadman

Post by gophermadman »

lakeconf.

Linquist has a different coaching style. Against poor teams he plays full lines pulled up from JV. He also plays backup goalies frequently.
Westsidefan

Post by Westsidefan »

One advantage Jefferson will have is as the home team/higher seed they will get the last change for each line change. Ordinarily that may not make much difference but when trying to hold down that big first line it may reduce the likelihood of getting caught with Edina's first line out there against a less experienced third line for Jefferson. I know Edina's coach likes to use that advantage at home and he won't have it in a Jeff/Edina match up. Don't know the details of the line matchups but should be fun to watch.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

Westsidefan wrote:One advantage Jefferson will have is as the home team/higher seed they will get the last change for each line change. Ordinarily that may not make much difference but when trying to hold down that big first line it may reduce the likelihood of getting caught with Edina's first line out there against a less experienced third line for Jefferson. I know Edina's coach likes to use that advantage at home and he won't have it in a Jeff/Edina match up. Don't know the details of the line matchups but should be fun to watch.
I definitely agree that this could be important. In the Edina-Tonka game last weekend, Giles managed his lines masterfully, and that was a huge reason in why Edina won. He won't have that advantage in a Edina-Jefferson final. We'll see how well Lindquist can manage this possible advantage, though it'd be a mistake to write off Edina's 2nd and 3rd lines as non-threats just because they don't have as much balance as Jefferson.
schwang17

Post by schwang17 »

gophermadman wrote:Linquist has a different coaching style. Against poor teams he plays full lines up from JV. He also plays backup goalies frequently.
Is that so? How many have the backups started this year over O'Connor? How many backup goalies started when they had Austin Lee? You're clueless.
Last edited by schwang17 on Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
redfirehockey1

Post by redfirehockey1 »

schwang17 wrote:
gophermadman wrote:Linquist has a different coaching style. He plays backup goalies frequently.
Is that so? How many have the backups started this year over O'Connor? How many backup goalies started when they had Austin Lee? You're clueless.
he's not clueless. this year he has given the sophmore woodward decent time. last year, jefferson had 3 really good goalies... one got cut, the other 2 split time (although swanson got more). when he had austin lee, why would you play anyone else when he was far above every other goalies level? jefferson has always had a lot of goalie depth. this year is no exception.
schwang17

Post by schwang17 »

redfirehockey1 wrote:he's not clueless. this year he has given the sophmore woodward decent time. last year, jefferson had 3 really good goalies... one got cut, the other 2 split time (although swanson got more). when he had austin lee, why would you play anyone else when he was far above every other goalies level? jefferson has always had a lot of goalie depth. this year is no exception.
Funny, the 1 knock I've heard on Jefferson is whether or not O'Connor will be able to answer the bell when he gets tested against the states best teams. You must know more than I. How many games has Woodley started this year? How many games did Swanson miss out on last year?
redfirehockey1

Post by redfirehockey1 »

schwang17 wrote:
redfirehockey1 wrote:he's not clueless. this year he has given the sophmore woodward decent time. last year, jefferson had 3 really good goalies... one got cut, the other 2 split time (although swanson got more). when he had austin lee, why would you play anyone else when he was far above every other goalies level? jefferson has always had a lot of goalie depth. this year is no exception.
Funny, the 1 knock I've heard on Jefferson is whether or not O'Connor will be able to answer the bell when he gets tested against the states best teams. You must know more than I. How many games has Woodley started this year? How many games did Swanson miss out on last year?
i'd say Vaudreuil started about 6-7 games last year and played in roughly 10. i'd say woodley played in about 6 or 7. and yes, it appears i do know more than you
gophermadman

Post by gophermadman »

redfirehockey1 wrote:
schwang17 wrote:
i'd say Vaudreuil started about 6-7 games last year and played in roughly 10. i'd say woodley played in about 6 or 7. and yes, it appears i do know more than you
schwang, Mcdaniels got significant playtime in conference games in 2006 behind Lee, in 05 the same, in 04 glowa and lee split. I know my Jefferson hockey, its you who are clueless.
jagopher21

Post by jagopher21 »

gophermadman wrote:
redfirehockey1 wrote:
schwang17 wrote: Funny, the 1 knock I've heard on Jefferson is whether or not O'Connor will be able to answer the bell when he gets tested against the states best teams. You must know more than I. How many games has Woodley started this year? How many games did Swanson miss out on last year?
schwang, Mcdaniels got significant playtime in conference games in 2006 behind Lee, in 05 the same, in 04 glowa and lee split. I know my Jefferson hockey, its you who are clueless.
in 2006 mcdaniels most significant conference time came in a jv game
theoneandonly1

Post by theoneandonly1 »

Woodley only got 2 starts this year, he has played in a total of 5 games ( 3 of which he only played the 3rd period). I wouldn't call that much goalie rotation.
redfirehockey1

Post by redfirehockey1 »

theoneandonly1 wrote:Woodley only got 2 starts this year, he has played in a total of 5 games ( 3 of which he only played the 3rd period). I wouldn't call that much goalie rotation.
considering that oconnor is an all state solid goalie who is a senior and woodley is an unproved sophmore, i'd consider that some decent time on V. find me a year in which lindquist hasn't played his backup goalie atleast 5 games and i'll tell you that lindquist wasnt the coach--it hasnt happened.
redfirehockey1

Post by redfirehockey1 »

jagopher21 wrote:
gophermadman wrote:
redfirehockey1 wrote: i'd say Vaudreuil started about 6-7 games last year and played in roughly 10. i'd say woodley played in about 6 or 7. and yes, it appears i do know more than you
and obviously, lee was a d1 caliber goalie but i knew mcdaniels personally and went to the games... he still played a few.
cuda701

Post by cuda701 »

redfirehockey1 wrote:
jagopher21 wrote:
gophermadman wrote: schwang, Mcdaniels got significant playtime in conference games in 2006 behind Lee, in 05 the same, in 04 glowa and lee split. I know my Jefferson hockey, its you who are clueless.
and obviously, lee was a d1 caliber goalie but i knew mcdaniels personally and went to the games... he still played a few.

You are changing your statement slightly :wink: Anyway, it's about time someone lit a fire under you......It's playoff time.
redfirehockey1

Post by redfirehockey1 »

no i never mentioned mcdaniels/lee in my original post, i'm simply adding to my statement :)
schwang17

Post by schwang17 »

redfirehockey1 wrote:
theoneandonly1 wrote:Woodley only got 2 starts this year, he has played in a total of 5 games ( 3 of which he only played the 3rd period). I wouldn't call that much goalie rotation.
considering that oconnor is an all state solid goalie who is a senior and woodley is an unproved sophmore, i'd consider that some decent time on V. find me a year in which lindquist hasn't played his backup goalie atleast 5 games and i'll tell you that lindquist wasnt the coach--it hasnt happened.
So basically 3 of the times Woodley came in it was the 3rd period and it was garbage time. Nice. The original post says "lindquist uses backup goalies frequently". If you call garbage time a "frequent rotation" you def. got me there.

Austin Lee played every significant game for them. Playing backups against has beens isn't a "different coaching style" that any other coach wouldn't/doesn't use.
schwang17

Post by schwang17 »

redfirehockey1 wrote:no i never mentioned mcdaniels/lee in my original post, i'm simply adding to my statement :)
Garbage time, horrible opponents, and JV doesn't count as a "frequent rotation" in my view. Regardless, I know 50-60 coaches who use the same rotation that aren't named Lindquist. They must have a "different style", too.
redfirehockey1

Post by redfirehockey1 »

their back up last year played in multiple significant conference games, which was my main point.
dangler24

Post by dangler24 »

casey o'conner is a decent goalie at best. and woodley is a poor goaltender. the only reason they are having success this year is due to jeffersons strong defense which prevents o'conner from facing many legit scoring chances or shots. the lake conference is also weaker than usual. o'conner gives up many weak goals and gave up 5 to eden prarie. i do not see them beating edina or any other strong team
dangler24

Post by dangler24 »

redfirehockey1 wrote:
casey o'conner is not an all state goalie. you are surely mistaken. look at the amount of shots he faces and most of these shots are not really "great chance" shots