Top 5 Sophmore goalies?

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Mr.swampdonky

Top 5 Sophmore goalies?

Post by Mr.swampdonky »

Who are your top 5 Sophmore goalies?

Mine:
1) Andrew Ford. He has the best stats for any goalie.
2) Brett Larson
3) Connor Girard
4) Aaron Gretz
5) Tim Shaughnessy

Thoughts?
midwesthockeyscout

Post by midwesthockeyscout »

I cannot comment on individuals, but statistically, these are all solid. keep in mind there are some programs out there that have very good JV sophomores that can't break the program because of very good varsity goalies.

I CAN comment on the fact that Hill-Murray had to go young by default. The returner was not adequate, and the depth is not all that great, despite having 90 kids tryout. ALTHOUGH, Shaughnessy has not hurt them in the least.
hockeyroyals

Post by hockeyroyals »

Adam Wilcow from South Saint Paul

He is the best sophomore goalie and one of the top in the state overall.
sregit34

Post by sregit34 »

Andy Noble

straight up.
Scouty

Post by Scouty »

Wyatt Soderquist-cambridge-isanti
Matt Laprade-holy family

both goalies see a lot of shots, mainly in the slot. both have good size 6.2,6.3., both on mediocre/bad teams, both have 90 or above save %
King of the Pond

Post by King of the Pond »

no doubt it's Brett larsen. I don't think it's really possible to argue against it
especially if you watched the game on fsn last night
pacman

Post by pacman »

Nathan Tromp - Hibbing Bluejackets
CB00

Post by CB00 »

King of the Pond wrote:no doubt it's Brett larsen. I don't think it's really possible to argue against it
especially if you watched the game on fsn last night
Got to agree. Brett was a beast last night.
DoubleDeuce

Post by DoubleDeuce »

hockeyroyals wrote:Adam Wilcow from South Saint Paul

He is the best sophomore goalie and one of the top in the state overall.
Prior to last nights game at Edina. Brett Larsen's stats were

MIN - 650
GAA - 1.88
Sv% - .917

Compared to Wilcox

MIN - 772
GAA - 2.25
Sv% - .906

And after pretty much shutting down the best line in the state at Edina, I'd have to say Larsen's the better net minder. I know he didn't look to sharp at all in the 6-5 loss to WBL, makes me wonder if playing in the huge Xcel center had anything to do with that. I don't know, that's probably just an excuse! But last night he was great! And I'm not down playing Wilcox at all. I've not seen him play. His stat's show he is a great goalie too!
Blaine 2000 State Champs
Centennial 2004 State Champs
hshockeyguy0

Post by hshockeyguy0 »

midwesthockeyscout wrote:I cannot comment on individuals, but statistically, these are all solid. keep in mind there are some programs out there that have very good JV sophomores that can't break the program because of very good varsity goalies.

I CAN comment on the fact that Hill-Murray had to go young by default. The returner was not adequate, and the depth is not all that great, despite having 90 kids tryout. ALTHOUGH, Shaughnessy has not hurt them in the least.
well hill did have about 100 skaters and about 11 goalies try out
King of the Pond

Post by King of the Pond »

hshockeyguy0 wrote:
midwesthockeyscout wrote:I cannot comment on individuals, but statistically, these are all solid. keep in mind there are some programs out there that have very good JV sophomores that can't break the program because of very good varsity goalies.

well hill did have about 100 skaters and about 11 goalies try out
lol centennial only had 3 goalies tryout
KOHOHO

hshockeyz

Post by KOHOHO »

Way to go !! First intelligent goal tending comments i have read on this site.

We hear so much hype about young Minnesota goalies that never pan out. At some point you have to prove you can stop the puck and get results. Altricher is not technically sound and will struggle at the next level unless major flaws are corrected. Crandall ? His play this year speaks for itself.

The five on this list all need to see a lot of shots and continue to mature and develop over the next several years.
BodyShots

Post by BodyShots »

WBL has a solid sophomore goalie playing for the JV. Has only been a goalie for a few years and already is turning heads.
Studhockey00004

Re: Top 5 Sophmore goalies?

Post by Studhockey00004 »

Mr.swampdonky wrote:Who are your top 5 Sophmore goalies?

Mine:
2) Brett Larson
3) Connor Girard
4) Aaron Gretz
5) Jerimiah Graves

Thoughts?
notorious17

Post by notorious17 »

Gretz is not as impressive as i would have hoped. He seems to know he has the starting spot and is not trying to earn it anymore.
Andrew ford is a very solid goalie but also has a very solid team infront of him.
Wilcox is trash.
:wink: sorry buddy
Bdangles14

Post by Bdangles14 »

Andrew Ford
Last edited by Bdangles14 on Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
RushnCircles

Post by RushnCircles »

ADAM "STALOCK" WILCOX
The Cup Weighs 35lbs...Except When Your Lifting It.
notorious17

Re: Top 5 Sophmore goalies?

Post by notorious17 »

Gretz is not top 5. Trash...sorry eagles
Mr.swampdonky wrote:Who are your top 5 Sophmore goalies?

Mine:
2) Brett Larson
3) Connor Girard
4) Aaron Gretz
5) Tim Shaughnessy

Thoughts?
|B|Unique and Co.
DotaDangler

Post by DotaDangler »

notorious17 wrote:Gretz is not as impressive as i would have hoped. He seems to know he has the starting spot and is not trying to earn it anymore.
Andrew ford is a very solid goalie but also has a very solid team infront of him.
Wilcox is trash.
:wink: sorry buddy
:lol:

That's a good one, have you seen him play? your about to be notorious for your idiotic posts.
Imagine a world...with no Wisconsin
deucereppin

Post by deucereppin »

You could add Charlie Pentz from SC Apollo....This kid faces 30-40 shots a game on a low to middle pack JV team and keeps them in it. Look for him to be the varasity starter next year and do well.
gopherhockey21

Post by gopherhockey21 »

Who was the goalie for Century on Thursday night? I believe he's only a sophmore.
INDUS

GOALIES

Post by INDUS »

There are alot of good soph. goalies in the state but the one I've watched the last few years is Alex Lyon from Lake of the Woods. He has good size and is always square to the puck. He's one to watch in the next few years.
bigpoppababy

Post by bigpoppababy »

You would have to throw in Austin Lanoue from Moose lake. He is 9-1 on the year sharing the job with a Senior. He was an alternate for the National team last year and has been very solid this year. I would post stats, but there have been some issues this year with the team getting the stats right. Will post when they are accurate.
$t0n3WaLL3021

Post by $t0n3WaLL3021 »

deucereppin wrote:You could add Charlie Pentz from SC Apollo....This kid faces 30-40 shots a game on a low to middle pack JV team and keeps them in it. Look for him to be the varasity starter next year and do well.
I would have to agree, he's still young and developing, but is already very solid. Look for him to have a good next year under Apollo's goalie coaches.
warrior2132

Post by warrior2132 »

i would say wilcox and im guessing he has drawn the most intrest from D-1 schools