Tryout Letters USHL/NAHL

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

warrior2132

Post by warrior2132 »

Ryan wrote:
warrior2132 wrote:well he was given all the information and was sent emails about gear....he might have been cut from the 30 man or trying out somewhere closer but right out of camp he made it
That'd make sense. Probably best for him if he doesn't go there anyways. That franchise is in complete chaos and still have no head coach.
The head coach is Tom Rudrud the old assistant coach. It just hasn't been announced yet.
breakout

Post by breakout »

Ryan wrote:
breakout wrote:
warrior2132 wrote:Players that made the 30 man roster for Tri-City from Mn

Andy Singerhouse
Tyler Landman
Nick Oliver
Justin Faulk
Grant Faunhorst
Max Tardy

Thats all i know of from minnesota there could be a few more
Someone told me that Alex Rush tried out and made the team. Is that true?

I'm going to guess no, as he was trying out for Green Bay following Tri-City's camp.
I remember Rush being drafted by Tri-City. Did his stock go down?

Did he make Green Bay?
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

warrior2132 wrote:
Ryan wrote:
warrior2132 wrote:well he was given all the information and was sent emails about gear....he might have been cut from the 30 man or trying out somewhere closer but right out of camp he made it
That'd make sense. Probably best for him if he doesn't go there anyways. That franchise is in complete chaos and still have no head coach.
The head coach is Tom Rudrud the old assistant coach. It just hasn't been announced yet.
That has been speculated, but Rudrud has previously stated he'd follow Bliss Littler anywhere. Still, the owner of the team is ruining that team.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

breakout wrote:I remember Rush being drafted by Tri-City. Did his stock go down?

Did he make Green Bay?
He was a futures pick by Tri-City and made the all-star game at their tryout camp. I don't know for certain if he made GB's team, or the AS roster at this point.
breakout

Post by breakout »

Ryan wrote:
breakout wrote:I remember Rush being drafted by Tri-City. Did his stock go down?

Did he make Green Bay?
He was a futures pick by Tri-City and made the all-star game at their tryout camp. I don't know for certain if he made GB's team, or the AS roster at this point.

Is he trying to find out of Eden Prairie? Is he ready for the next level?
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Rush did NOT make the AS game in GB. This has been confirmed through PM and a buddy who sent me their roster.
Observer85

Post by Observer85 »

Ryan wrote:
warrior2132 wrote:
Ryan wrote: That'd make sense. Probably best for him if he doesn't go there anyways. That franchise is in complete chaos and still have no head coach.
That has been speculated, but Rudrud has previously stated he'd follow Bliss Littler anywhere. Still, the owner of the team is ruining that team.
Ryan, I talked to Tom during Model camp and he will be the coach for Tri City this coming season.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Observer85 wrote:Ryan, I talked to Tom during Model camp and he will be the coach for Tri City this coming season.
Thanks. It will be interesting to see how he does. There have been rumors swirling about the team being sold to a group that owns Salmon Arm (BCHL) but it seems the hangup is that the team and arena they play in is a package deal.
Newguy07

Post by Newguy07 »

Having played in the USHL myself I am drawing from my own experiences. I understand things have changed over the past few years but the tryouts were basically a fundraiser. The only people who made the team were tendered players, drafted players, or those with some junior experience, and sometimes a big name or two. Advice for the parents, unless your kid is one of these players set low expectations and realize it may just be about the experience.
HockeyHotHead

Post by HockeyHotHead »

My bro recently tried out for NAHL team Wenatche Wild and like many other people have said, there are alot of spam type emails and letters coming through the mail to get a lot of hopefuls out there to try out that really don't have a chance. On the other hand, my bro is a junior in HS and this has been an amazing opprtunity/experience for him. He had a great tryout, they want to tender him for next year and still gets to be a captain and do his senior year stuff. The tryouts definitely are geared toward drafted and tendered players, but if you want to try out and are NOT a senior, its a great way to get your name out there. (Just don't spend TOO much money) :D
major4

Post by major4 »

can anyone explain why a ushl team would have an invite camp after the team has already picked their 25 man roster by july 1 deadline? Are the invite camps (waterloo for example) holding these camps late in july to look for players for their futures draft in october, or possibly for next spring's regular draft?
Observer85

Post by Observer85 »

major4 wrote:can anyone explain why a ushl team would have an invite camp after the team has already picked their 25 man roster by july 1 deadline? Are the invite camps (waterloo for example) holding these camps late in july to look for players for their futures draft in october, or possibly for next spring's regular draft?
Waterloo is the only USHL team that has its open and invite tryout after July 1st. These tryouts are for their team for the coming season. The 25 man protected roster is not made public. Most likely Waterloo has yet to submit their roster.

The futures camps that many teams are doing now are for future players. Yes, these are fund raising opportunities for these organizations. But remember, most of these teams have a scout out looking for players that may or may not be on the staff of that team. These future camps allow the head coach and assistant coaches to see kids that they might not otherwise see once the USHL season starts.
major4

Post by major4 »

When you think about the invite camps held after july 1, most teams have a solid returning core team and have draft picks to make up the other members of the team, having an invite camp in late july or even august narrows the chance to make the team if you are not a draft pick, a futures pick, or a veteran. Having to invite a good number of skaters to the invite tryout camp... the odds are so small to come out of the tryout on the team before july 1, the odds are even smaller after july 1 deadline
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Alec Rush is on the team in Tri-City.

I recently learned that a coach can give a player permission to tryout with another USHL club. If that other team would want that player, a trade would have to be made.
breakout

Post by breakout »

Ryan wrote:Rush did NOT make the AS game in GB. This has been confirmed through PM and a buddy who sent me their roster.
Rush deal does not make sense.

He doesn't make the Green Bay All Star team after a failed tryout at Tri City then he loops back and makes Tri City??? Did a kid get hurt, move on or what?

Would Rush be the 7th or 8th D on Tri City? If so, he won't play much. Maybe the kid should look at staying in high school for PT.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

I'm thinking that Green Bay wanted to take a look at him and Tri-City gave Rush permission to tryout up there. If they wanted him, they would have had to trade for him and if not, TC would have a spot for him. Rush did make the all-star game in TC.

There was a similar event involving Sioux City giving a player permission to tryout elsewhere. I had never heard of teams being able to do that previously.

Oh, and Tri-City has 8 D on their 25 man roster.