Model Camp Rosters/Elite I and II tryouts

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

letsplayhockey10

Model Camp Rosters/Elite I and II tryouts

Post by letsplayhockey10 »

Does any one know when the rosters for model camp come out? Or the tryout list for Elite I and II?
Gopher Blog

Re: Model Camp Rosters/Elite I and II tryouts

Post by Gopher Blog »

letsplayhockey10 wrote:Does any one know when the rosters for model camp come out? Or the tryout list for Elite I and II?
Registration for the Model Camp is ending today so I would gather the camp rosters will come out in a few weeks.
letsplayhockey10

Post by letsplayhockey10 »

any info about the elite leagues?
suntzu

Post by suntzu »

letsplayhockey10 wrote:any info about the elite leagues?
You probably won't see a tryout list for the Upper Midwest Elite League until sometime in mid-May. I would assume they will be making final decisions following the Xposure tourney and Final 54 this coming weekend.

As for Elite II...anyone who wants to can try out. :lol:
Tony Soprano

Post by Tony Soprano »

Elite II tryout period is scheduled for August 13th to the 17th at this point. The league starting weekend is scheduled for the weekend of September 5th.
aflac

Post by aflac »

Unless you are in Section 1 where the try-outs last 1 month for the Elite II
Sioux Fan

Post by Sioux Fan »

God forbid we try to get it right and get a whole bunch of players in our area a good competitive camp. I don't think anyone has complained to much about the level of play or if it is worth the time. It also gets our team off to a good start with conditioning with 16 hours + of ice time.

We will still do it that way I only want guys who want to get better and compete to the end. Our camp gets that done.
Fighting Sioux Forever
Tony Soprano

Post by Tony Soprano »

Do any of the other Elite II sections spend 16 hours? That seems like a lot of time, but I guess if nobody complains then it must be working. There must be an added cost involved for that much tryout ice.
Sioux Fan

Post by Sioux Fan »

There is extra cost and if you would like to help with sponsorship call me
at (507) 269-5578. We like to get as much support as we can so that if a player is good enough we will find a way to get him involved.

My concern is that we leave out a player who really wants this and has enough time to make it clear to the coaching staff.
Fighting Sioux Forever
GR3343

Post by GR3343 »

Tony Soprano wrote:Do any of the other Elite II sections spend 16 hours? That seems like a lot of time, but I guess if nobody complains then it must be working. There must be an added cost involved for that much tryout ice.
Section 7 had a 4 or 5 hour tryout. Sec. 1 is taking this to the extreme in my opinion. From what I was told, the Elite II program was designed to have top underclassmen play a competitive fall schedule in preperation for their upcoming high school season. Sec. 7 is one of the many that used this team for that rostering more sophs than juniors or seniors, while a team like Sec. 1 is hell bent on "winning the whole thing". I may be mistaken, but I believe they rostered the maximum amount of seniors(4) and filled the rest of the roster with juniors, perhaps 1 soph. I personally don't care, use the league for whatever you want, but it appears that winning is all it's about for Sioux Fan. Not developing true underclassmen, i.e. sophs. The Elite II's were a great experience, kids got to develop and new comers saw the pace of the high school game vs. what they saw in Bantams. Good luck to all that try out for the upcoming season.
Character is who you are when no one is watching
davey

Post by davey »

GR3343 wrote:
Tony Soprano wrote:Do any of the other Elite II sections spend 16 hours? That seems like a lot of time, but I guess if nobody complains then it must be working. There must be an added cost involved for that much tryout ice.
Section 7 had a 4 or 5 hour tryout. Sec. 1 is taking this to the extreme in my opinion. From what I was told, the Elite II program was designed to have top underclassmen play a competitive fall schedule in preperation for their upcoming high school season. Sec. 7 is one of the many that used this team for that rostering more sophs than juniors or seniors, while a team like Sec. 1 is hell bent on "winning the whole thing". I may be mistaken, but I believe they rostered the maximum amount of seniors(4) and filled the rest of the roster with juniors, perhaps 1 soph. I personally don't care, use the league for whatever you want, but it appears that winning is all it's about for Sioux Fan. Not developing true underclassmen, i.e. sophs. The Elite II's were a great experience, kids got to develop and new comers saw the pace of the high school game vs. what they saw in Bantams. Good luck to all that try out for the upcoming season.
I'm going to defend Sioux Fan here. While they do have extra tryout time, they also understand if a kid has miss a session or 2, than so be it. Yes, he did roster 5 seniors, but also 20 underclassmen. Where else were those kids going to play. The Elite league says they weren't good enough. I'm guessing most of those Juniors developed quite a bit over last fall and this winter as they just kicked the crap out of the other Sections at the Advanced 17 festival this past weekend. Most of those kids played Elite 2 this past fall for Section 1. 2 Players played in the Elite league. What is wrong with a coach teaching kids how to work hard and WIN. That's what these kids are going to face in the real world. In the real world, nothing is handed to you, you have to earn it
BodyShots

Post by BodyShots »

Elite II is a joke. Another over priced event to make money for somebody. Our roster last year had 9 defensemen. Every game we had defensemen playing forward positions. One game we had a complete line of defensemen (three making up a forward line unit). Tell me this is what you want to see when paying big money to get your kid ready for high school hockey!
davey

Post by davey »

BodyShots wrote:Elite II is a joke. Another over priced event to make money for somebody. Our roster last year had 9 defensemen. Every game we had defensemen playing forward positions. One game we had a complete line of defensemen (three making up a forward line unit). Tell me this is what you want to see when paying big money to get your kid ready for high school hockey!
It wasn't a joke in Section 1. Kids developed quite nicely and most had very good HS seasons
myhockey

Post by myhockey »

Elite 2 hockey is a great way for a kid that is playing high school hockey to be a little more prepared for the high school season. There is no doubt that there was teams last year that shortened the bench to win a game.. Section 8 coaches found kids that gelled together and ran the lines 1 thru 4 and never changed that all year. If you have a kid that wants to play and wants to get ready for high school hockey this is the way to go.
GR3343

Post by GR3343 »

BodyShots wrote:Elite II is a joke. Another over priced event to make money for somebody. Our roster last year had 9 defensemen. Every game we had defensemen playing forward positions. One game we had a complete line of defensemen (three making up a forward line unit). Tell me this is what you want to see when paying big money to get your kid ready for high school hockey!
Sounds like your section evaluator's fault with that. Sec. 7 had 6 D 12 F and 2 G. Was a great into to high school hockey and wasn't expensive. Tryouts were around $40 and the league was around $500 for 18 games plus tourney. Sorry you ended up in a bad situation, but spouting off and saying it's a joke just isn't accurate.
Tony Soprano

Post by Tony Soprano »

BodyShots sounds a little bitter for some reason. I have been involved with the league for 3 years and section 6. I know from a larger majority of players and parents over that period, they enjoyed the Elite II experience. The league seems to get a little better each year as everyone learns different ways to try and make it as beneficial as possible for the players.

Obiviously not everyone will be happy, but as long as the teams are doing their best with the tryout, the talent level is there to have some great games. I really cannot see how you go wrong with participating in this league.

Last year the trip go Boston was a great time, the only downside was that there just was not enough time to spend seeing more of the Boston area. Not too many leagues can boast of a trip like this at a very fair price also.
Pucknutz69

Post by Pucknutz69 »

I take it you were on the Section 4 team? So odds are you or your kid was from WBL, so you wouldn't have been happy if they only had 4 defensemen. I think it fits and works for Minnesota kids. My son had a great time, the Boston trip, ND trip (how many can say they went to North Dakota and had a good time?) He is looking forward to playing again.
BodyShots

Post by BodyShots »

GR3343 wrote:
Sounds like your section evaluator's fault with that. Sec. 7 had 6 D 12 F and 2 G. Was a great into to high school hockey and wasn't expensive. Tryouts were around $40 and the league was around $500 for 18 games plus tourney. Sorry you ended up in a bad situation, but spouting off and saying it's a joke just isn't accurate.
Your right, and I am wrong. I should not have made a general statement that Elite II is a joke. Section 4 (as mentioned by some) was not a good experience for many parents that I talked to. Your roster and fees look apprpriate and a good deal. For us, our roster consisted of 24 players 12-F, 9-D, and 3-G. Each player had to sit out 2 games and for the D, many had to play out of position. Not sure, but I think our fees were near $500 also. I know I as well as other parents voiced our concern to the director and hopefully this won't happen again to future families.
Penalty Shot

Post by Penalty Shot »

BodyShots way to man up and gain respect. I wish there were more people like you. Bill Moore is a tireless worker and provides a tremendous opportunity for a lot of kids. The section teams I believe are as good as their Coaches and Managers (good ones are hard to get) I hope your parents feedback leads to a better situation for their team. The trip to Boston last year was awesome my son played with the section 7 and 8 team and although they won all there games I think the kids had a blast playing together. Again BodyShots I was sorry to read your first post and cannot believe the integrity of your second. Keep making decsions like that, follow up,and you are going somewhere!
AND SIOUX FAN KEEP UP YOUR GREAT WORK YOU KNOW YOU WILL NEVER PLEASE EVERYONE. YOUR COMMITTMENT TO THE KIDS AND PROGRAM IS OUTSTANDING
hockiepuck

Post by hockiepuck »

Penalty Shot wrote:BodyShots way to man up and gain respect. I wish there were more people like you. Bill Moore is a tireless worker and provides a tremendous opportunity for a lot of kids. The section teams I believe are as good as their Coaches and Managers (good ones are hard to get) I hope your parents feedback leads to a better situation for their team. The trip to Boston last year was awesome my son played with the section 7 and 8 team and although they won all there games I think the kids had a blast playing together. Again BodyShots I was sorry to read your first post and cannot believe the integrity of your second. Keep making decsions like that, follow up,and you are going somewhere!
AND SIOUX FAN KEEP UP YOUR GREAT WORK YOU KNOW YOU WILL NEVER PLEASE EVERYONE. YOUR COMMITTMENT TO THE KIDS AND PROGRAM IS OUTSTANDING

Right on about Siouxfan, He and his little buddy do a GREAT JOB with Elite II for section 1. They are a big reason section 1 is doing so well now.
RLStars

Post by RLStars »

I have to add a couple things to the Elite I and II talk. Yeah its great for development and getting a kid ready for the upcoming HS season, but there can be a down side to it also.

My kid played two years ago and broke his wrist within the first couple games of the Elite II season. He had his skates taken out from under him as he raced behind the net to get a loose puck and went hard into the end boards. He only missed a couple games, but was hindered by it mainly while shooting the puck. On top of it all, his injury was misdiagnosed as a bad sprain so he played the entire HS season with a chipped bone in his wrist. So injury potential is definately something to think about.

Another thing that can happens is a little bit of burnout. After playing twenty or so games (several practices and scrimmages also thrown in) in Elite, my kid seemed like he started to run out of gas around the beginning of February. I talked with some others who played the year before and they said that happened to their kids to. Just something to think about and be aware of.

Overall, we had a good experience in Elite II and I also agree that Bill Moore is doing a great job with the Elite II league and seems to be working at improving the league every year.
sideways

Post by sideways »

Is there much scheduling conflict with football players participating in Elite 2? Do the coaches have much flexibility with fall sport guys, or is the expectation to be on the ice pretty strict?
GR3343

Post by GR3343 »

sideways wrote:Is there much scheduling conflict with football players participating in Elite 2? Do the coaches have much flexibility with fall sport guys, or is the expectation to be on the ice pretty strict?
Ours is a football player also. His commitment to his fall sport came first and there's no penalty for that. The games didn't conflict until football playoff time and it was understood that the fall hockey was secondary. Games were played on Saturday's and Sunday's throughout the season.
itstime

Post by itstime »

I think if you asked most kids and parents if they enjoyed the experience with the elite 2 league a high % would have a lot of good things to say about it. I know parents and players have given that guy over with section 6 much credit for how much fun he made it for the kids. Now can they repeat? Everyone thats involved seems to be doing a good thing so I give you all credit. I'm sure they'll get things worked out with section 4.
Hockman21

Post by Hockman21 »

When exactly do the model camp rosters come out?