8A in 08-09

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

warriors41

Post by warriors41 »

SB24 wrote:has pr ever put a team on the ice worth playing?

and i would say warroads top players will be
Micky Knox
Brett Hebel
Brock Nelson
Dane Shaugabay
Tai Larson
Michael Pieper
Carson Gray
Can't help but notice that none of these kids are goalies. That could spell trouble.
Pioneers_18

Post by Pioneers_18 »

elliott70 wrote:
Pioneers_18 wrote:Can someone explain to me how Bemidji with an Enrollment of 1501 is in Class A?

Enrollment for Schools AA Tourney this year:
Blaine 2869
Woodbury 2399
Edina 1901
Lakeville South 1285
Benilde-St. Margarets 873
Hill-Murray 861
Cloquet 737
Roseau 410

State Champs Hill-Murray? Hmmm . . .
And 1501 is not the correct number.
The official MSHSL number is 1200 plus a bit.
That makes them the second largest single A hockey team behind Alex.
So why is Alex single A?
Thanks for all that info taxman. I won't question your #s I'm sure they are right. Either way I would have thought the Jacks and the town would have enough Pride to stick with AA and want to be a part of the real tournament. Not sure about Alex's history but if I'm not mistaken Bemidji has always been AA in hockey. Point well taken about the private schools but that doesn't explain how Roseau is competitive at approximately 1/3 the size of Bemidji either.
D16Dad

Post by D16Dad »

Pioneers_18 wrote:
elliott70 wrote:
Pioneers_18 wrote:Can someone explain to me how Bemidji with an Enrollment of 1501 is in Class A?

Enrollment for Schools AA Tourney this year:
Blaine 2869
Woodbury 2399
Edina 1901
Lakeville South 1285
Benilde-St. Margarets 873
Hill-Murray 861
Cloquet 737
Roseau 410

State Champs Hill-Murray? Hmmm . . .
And 1501 is not the correct number.
The official MSHSL number is 1200 plus a bit.
That makes them the second largest single A hockey team behind Alex.
So why is Alex single A?
Thanks for all that info taxman. I won't question your #s I'm sure they are right. Either way I would have thought the Jacks and the town would have enough Pride to stick with AA and want to be a part of the real tournament. Not sure about Alex's history but if I'm not mistaken Bemidji has always been AA in hockey. Point well taken about the private schools but that doesn't explain how Roseau is competitive at approximately 1/3 the size of Bemidji either (different environment, school district has different priorities. A good indicator will be the coach hired, if a teaching position is offered/required, and if he can select his own staff, etc.).
Many in Bemidji feel the same way, should be AA at next opportunity ('09-'10 season).
schwang17

Post by schwang17 »

D16Dad wrote:Many in Bemidji feel the same way, should be AA at next opportunity ('09-'10 season).
The Lady Warriors should feel the same way. Beautiful rink, great hockey tradition, recruits comin in from outta nowhere - too bad they have no balls. They'll schedule Roseau and Moorhead, but only if it's the regular season.
UpNorthStars

Post by UpNorthStars »

Schwang's new "short book"

SiouxRecruit

Post by SiouxRecruit »

schwang17 wrote:
D16Dad wrote:Many in Bemidji feel the same way, should be AA at next opportunity ('09-'10 season).
The Lady Warriors should feel the same way. Beautiful rink, great hockey tradition, recruits comin in from outta nowhere - too bad they have no balls. They'll schedule Roseau and Moorhead, but only if it's the regular season.

hahaha good call schwangless.... :P
Catch me On YouTube @ FishOnLuke
UpNorthStars

Post by UpNorthStars »

Here's a question for what's left of the gallery:

How many combined years will it take for PR to get as many wins as they got in the 2007-2008 season, the season in which they were still blown out of the rink come playoffs?
tic_toc

Post by tic_toc »

UpNorthStars wrote:
As far as TRF, Gothberg has the ability to win virtually any game by himself. Their season will depend on if they learn how to score a few goals.

Bemidji supposedly has some newcomers that should contribute, but there seems to be a bit of, how shall i say, a rocky foundation in that program? Might make it tough to be successful

East Grand, lost too much, not much coming in.

As far as the rest, sorry, but it really isn't going to matter.
1.TRF
2.Warroad
3.Bemidiji
4.CROX
5.EGF

Bemidiji is supposed to have some kids comeing up that they feel could be a benifiting factor twords the end of the season. A pretty good goalie moveing up (will maybe sit varsity but wont ever play). think they could have done better last year but had big leadership problems! Strong team this comeing season and excited to watch them play, and develope through the season

and saying that Gothberg could virtually win anny game by himself.....? i dont think so..... and haveing a 3.87 GAA with a couple blowout games where they lost say 9 to 3.... i think maybe a little over-rated, have to give props for the semi final game against warroad, he had a pretty good game. As far as the sophmore jinx i think he will just have up and down year. if so they have another goalie who is pretty capible of steppin in, if not take over. TRF will be pretty dominint team next season. only loseing a couple of players, and a great coach eager to start his second season.

Warroad always a tough contender.
EGF pretty much starting over.
schwang17

Post by schwang17 »

UpNorthStars wrote:Here's a question for what's left of the gallery:

How many combined years will it take for PR to get as many wins as they got in the 2007-2008 season, the season in which they were still blown out of the rink come playoffs?
They average about 17-18 wins a year for the past 10, but wins as a whole don't matter. It's all about 3 games in late February and they haven't gotten it done. You can look at the travel to each playoff game, you can look at not getting tougher and/or longer distance opponents on the schedule for various reasons(which include not being supported by the school itself and even being lucky to field a team), but plain and simple they haven't gotten it done.

If the Warriors want to stay amongst the elite in Class A every year and have most serious hockey fans look down upon them as they do it, fine. Having TRF and EGF as your main Section competition is a hell of an attribute(the State Tourney appearances between the 2 the past 20-30 years can be counted on 1 hand).

The only thing I ask is at least schedule half of your section opponents. They want AA and Mariucci conference opponents as often as possible - except when it matters. Reminds me of a schoolyard bully afraid to pick on people his own size.
UpNorthStars

Post by UpNorthStars »

schwang17 wrote:

If the Warriors want to stay amongst the elite in Class A every year and have most serious hockey fans look down upon them as they do it, fine.
Are you the serious hockey fan?

Having TRF and EGF as your main Section competition is a hell of an attribute(the State Tourney appearances between the 2 the past 20-30 years can be counted on 1 hand).
But on the same token, Roseau gets a lot of credit for the hellacious section they have to come out of? Give me a break!

The only thing I ask is at least schedule half of your section opponents. They want AA and Mariucci conference opponents as often as possible - except when it matters.
Well then it sure is a good thing for Minnesota HS Hockey that what you ask doesn't matter. Most of the elite teams would suffer if they had to play most of the teams in their section...that's what conferences are for.
What would ultimatly satisfy you and the rest of the gallery (what's left of it) would be if Warroad, TRF, EGF, and Bemidji went AA, then you could have your Tier I and Tier II system again...
SB24

Post by SB24 »

"Reminds me of a schoolyard bully afraid to pick on people his own size"

what size is that?
RIP suzy 12.10.2006 - 2.27.2008
UpNorthStars

Post by UpNorthStars »

Warroad enrollment grades 9-12 424

Park Rapids enrollment grades 9-12 521

TRF grades 9-12 651

EGF grades 9-12 550

Yeah you're right, Warroad really does need to start picking on people their own size :!:
schwang17

Post by schwang17 »

UpNorthStars wrote:Warroad enrollment grades 9-12 424

TRF grades 9-12 651

EGF grades 9-12 550

Yeah you're right, Warroad really does need to start picking on people their own size :!:
Yeah, enrollment is really the way to look at things. Where's Bagley and Kittson at?
schwang17

Post by schwang17 »

UpNorthStars wrote:But on the same token, Roseau gets a lot of credit for the hellacious section they have to come out of? Give me a break!
My point exactly, Warroad should be in the same section but they're too scared. I hate Moorhead and their fans, but they're 10x better than anybody in 8A. Obviously, Roseau is a much better program than you guys since they're having success at that level??? Or what exactly is it??? Warroad claims to be just as good or better most years, so what's happening? You can't call yourselves rivals when you don't even play in the same class.
UpNorthStars wrote:Well then it sure is a good thing for Minnesota HS Hockey that what you ask doesn't matter. Most of the elite teams would suffer if they had to play most of the teams in their section...that's what conferences are for.
Really? And what teams are those? Conference play is a joke anymore. Most people know this.
UpNorthStars wrote:What would ultimatly satisfy you and the rest of the gallery (what's left of it) would be if Warroad, TRF, EGF, and Bemidji went AA, then you could have your Tier I and Tier II system again...
No, TRF, EGF, and Bemidji don't compete at a high level consistently enough. If Warroad opted up to 8AA it would make both sections alot more interesting.
mohunk

Post by mohunk »

TRF grades 9-12 651

EGF grades 9-12 550

Population from which to draw students:
East Grand Forks: 11,264
Thief River Falls: 12,485
Bemidji: 18,923
Park Rapids: 10,867
Warroad: 300,000,000
schwang17

Post by schwang17 »

mohunk wrote:Population from which to draw students:
Warroad: 300,000,000
% of Warroad-born males with testicles: 3%
SB24

Post by SB24 »

% of park rapids bron males to have been to a section final 0%

what i dont get is how the girl hockey players can beat up on your highly talented men players??
RIP suzy 12.10.2006 - 2.27.2008
Neutron 14

Post by Neutron 14 »

schwang17 wrote:% of Warroad-born males with testicles: 3%
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Neutron 14

Post by Neutron 14 »

TRF grades 9-12 651

EGF grades 9-12 550

Has witto Warroad hit the skids?

UpNorthStars

Post by UpNorthStars »

Yup, state tournament 5 of the last 6 years. Helluva skid there. Nice to see the haters resorting to personal attacks by the way... :roll:

If the purpose is to make things interesting, than why not just have everyone play where they belong, according to enrollment like the system was set up for in the first place? If everyone did that than the A Tournament would be better than the AA in most years.
UpNorthStars

Post by UpNorthStars »

mohunk wrote:

TRF grades 9-12 651

EGF grades 9-12 550

Warroad: 1,722
Just thought i'd make that correction for you...puts things in perspective don't it? How can that little town consistently pound all those 10x it's size? Before you yell recruiting, name one that played last year...
Can't Never Tried

Post by Can't Never Tried »

UpNorthStars wrote:
mohunk wrote:

TRF grades 9-12 651

EGF grades 9-12 550

Warroad: 1,722
Just thought i'd make that correction for you...puts things in perspective don't it? How can that little town consistently pound all those 10x it's size? Before you yell recruiting, name one that played last year...
I suppose if I said it was homer refs it would cause a argument?? :lol:
UpNorthStars

Post by UpNorthStars »

At least it would be an "original" argument. The deep minds surrounding PR haven't thought of that one yet. But yeah, that must be it :!: :idea: :P
Irishmans Shanty

Post by Irishmans Shanty »

TTpuckster

Post by TTpuckster »

schwang17 wrote:

If the Warriors want to stay amongst the elite in Class A every year and have most serious hockey fans look down upon them as they do it, fine. Having TRF and EGF as your main Section competition is a hell of an attribute(the State Tourney appearances between the 2 the past 20-30 years can be counted on 1 hand).

I agree with you IS.

BORING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

However, just to defend my home town.

In the last 30 years?

State appearances by:

War = 13
EGF = 6
Bem = 2
TRF = 1

The rest belong to Ros, Moorhead, and Alexandria

At least for EGF, that is slightly more than "one hand"
But then, good ole Schwangy has always slanted the data.

And Park Rapids has how many appearances?

Somwhere between zero and none, right?