Section 7A next year

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

pacman

Section 7A next year

Post by pacman »

Does Duluth Marshall Repeat or does a team like Hibbing, I Falls or Virginia Represent the Section at state.
boblee

post 10180

Post by boblee »

Falls and Virginia should be pretty good.

Hibbing is at least pretty good every year.

Duluth Marshall always reloads.

It will be a great section again.
mikemodano09

Post by mikemodano09 »

One of the toughest sections out there... Just depends on how well Marshall recruits :D
PuckRanger

Post by PuckRanger »

Duluth Marshall:
Looses 12 seniors, 5 regular defensemen and 6 forwards that played regularly. They have both goalies back (Messina and Paul). They will have only three seniors (Mahoney, Mausolf, and Kozlak) at forward with experience from this year, and only one defenseman (Derek Stauber). Sophomores Dane Morin, Matt Morsette, and Nate Rich will be also be back. Everyone else will be new faces. Don't know who else is coming in, but this looks like it could be a rebuilding year, but a competetive one as rebuilding goes.

Hibbing/Chisholm:
Looses DeCenzo, Estey, King, and all three goalies (Sandstrom, Vadis, and Larson), amongst 12 graduating seniors. Jamnick, Vechell, and Hanegman will be back, and the rumor is a kid from Shakopee is moving into town. 7 Juniors, and 3 sophomores in all will be back with significant varsity experience. Ryan Johnson is probably the most notable of the sophomores. They should be very tough by the end of the year just as they were this year.

Virginia/MIB:
Looses Podpeskar, Stoks, and Villa. Thats it. There won't be many new faces on this team from last year. Westin, Krebsbach, Hendrickson, Grivette, Lundberg, Judnick, and Lustig are all back. They are only losing two forwards, one of which missed some time with an injury last year and one defenseman. They will have 9 seniors, 8 juniors, and 2 sophomores back with points and significant playing time on a team that won 15 games and beat some state ranked teams. Have to be the favorite in my book.

International Falls:
Looses Jake Youso, Ladd Corrin, Harder, Olson, and Demuth amongst its 9 graduating seniors. Back will be Baldwin, Will Corrin, Matt Youso, Hart, Reulle, and Leinum. They will only have six seniors next year, but four of next years juniors had significant playing time this year. They will be good defensively again, but the offense will drop without Youso and Corrin. The question will be just how much. Defense will keep them in games though and they will be tough.

Greenway:
Looses 9 seniors, most notably Alex Guyer. Also gone will be Strom and Kessler. They do have a bunch of young talent returning, though with Mendoza, Adams, Orhn, Estey, Hynek, and Neilson, not to mention goaltender Erikur Arnason, who will only be a freshman. They could very well contend this year and not just be the darkhorse.

My foolishly early order of next year's seeding:
1. Virginia
2. Hibbing
3. International Falls
4. Duluth Marshall
5. Greenway
6. Two Harbors
7. Silver Bay
8. Duluth Central
9. Eveleth
10. Ely
PASTRAPIDSFAN

Post by PASTRAPIDSFAN »

virgina and hibbing
boblee

post 10208

Post by boblee »

Greenway will also have Trevor Guyer back in goal next year. He saw most of the action in goal. I like to see that teams aren't losing players anymore, they are just getting loose. :lol:
The Milk Man

Post by The Milk Man »

I really hope to see greenway at least contend with the better teams in section 7A. They need to bring some pride back to that neck of the woods. perhaps a over .500 record. I believe this is a possibility with returners like orhn, adams, and mendoza. Just a thought.
ndirishfighting

Post by ndirishfighting »

1. Hibbing - Always a playoff team
2. Int Falls - Good solid team returning
3. D Marshall - R E C R U I T I N G
4. Virginia - Good team but not sure if they have enough
5. Two Harbors - A little bit more experience and competitiveness
6. Greenway - 9th grade goalie, junior defensemen and forward, senior forward
7. Silver Bay
8. Eveleth
9. Duluth Central
10. Ely
mainefan

Post by mainefan »

Virginia
Duluth Marshall
Hibbing
International Falls
Greenway
Eveleth
Two Harbors
Silver Bay
Duluth Central
Ely
vhsdevils

Post by vhsdevils »

Who's this shakopee player that might come to hibbing puckranger
PuckRanger

Post by PuckRanger »

vhsdevils wrote:Who's this shakopee player that might come to hibbing puckranger
The rumor - and I stress that - is that Nick Feldmeier is moving to Hibbing. He will be a junior, supposed to be a speedy forward.
hawkfan70

Post by hawkfan70 »

PuckRanger wrote:
vhsdevils wrote:Who's this shakopee player that might come to hibbing puckranger
The rumor - and I stress that - is that Nick Feldmeier is moving to Hibbing. He will be a junior, supposed to be a speedy forward.
Now that they have a private in the section even the rangers are recruiting :lol:
cajones18

Post by cajones18 »

Well everyone knows that Marshall will be good cuz THEY RECRUIT.
And then you have the raw hometown boys from towns like hibbing and I Falls and Virgina.. I'd way rather see one of those teams represent section 7A at state then a "Recruiting School"[/u]
PRIVATE SCHOOLS RECRUIT!!
GoGoGophers

Post by GoGoGophers »

Hibbing will be a very competive team next year as well as Virginia. Marshalls JV was nothing to brag about so I dont know what's coming up from there and what there recruiting class is like. Falls will most likely be a middle of the pack team a 4 or 5 seed. Hibbing has a great sophomore goalie from Bantams coming up and of course they'll be led by Jamnick and Hanegmon. This Feldmeier kid everybody talks about could also be a huge help.

1. Hibbing
2. Virginia
3. Marshall
4. Falls
5. Greenway
6. Two Harbors
7. Eveleth
8. Duluth Central
9. Silver Bay
10. Ely
TheShow

Post by TheShow »

There is a rumor that Brendan Flaherty is leaving Marshall to run the new Heritage Center.
7A22A

Post by 7A22A »

TheShow wrote:There is a rumor that Brendan Flaherty is leaving Marshall to run the new Heritage Center.
Rumor = yes and thats all.
Here is a comment from the Duluth Budgeteer:
Budgeteer: How much can you take as a coach? I mean, I’m sure it has to weigh on you a little bit to lose those games — how long do you see yourself coaching for?

Flaherty: I would like to as long as I still enjoy it — I guess that’s the best answer. I would like to think I can continue and bring a state championship back here in the next 10, 12, 15 years.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

In this year's tournament I was a little disappointed in Marshall's play, I guess mainly because I had picked them to win Class A after seeing them finish 2nd the last two years and with that experience I thought it might be their turn this year. But even in their first game it seemed they did not play at the level I was expecting. They just didn't have the good team play and a lot of times even seemed lackadaisical individually. They also relied way too much on the long range slapshot (which can really be a hit or miss proposition) instead of working it in for better opportunities in close.

Anyway after watching these things develop during their first game and comparing them to the way STA was playing, I realized right away that I would probably be in trouble with my prediction, which obviously turned out to be the case.
7A22A

Post by 7A22A »

This years DM team was hard working and needed to scratch and claw their way to the final game. Personally, I give them a lot of credit. They showed character. I think the coaching staff got the most out of the team. Next year appears to be a drop in depth for forwards and defense. Recruiting is a repeating word here in this thread and I say "yes". These students at Marshall are recruited, but not in the context/visions of a high school student being recruited for a college program. The big difference being that the student/family needs to seek out the school and I hope to see more recruits for next year.
Can't Never Tried

Post by Can't Never Tried »

ttt