An All-Time Low?

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

pondyplayer93

Post by pondyplayer93 »

is this on youtube?
Hill-Murray
St. Thomas
2008 Champs
Lily Braden

Post by Lily Braden »

This can NOT be true. I refuse to believe adults would act like this. Not possible. And if this is true, how incredibly selfish of them. They've just trashed his high school career. And not just in hockey.

As far as the kid's blog...I didn't see any problem with it. He wasn't drinking, he wasn't dancing naked on top of a table somewhere, so who cares. He obviously has a passion for his sport and his proud of himself. Nothing wrong with that!
pondpucker13

Post by pondpucker13 »

skiumah wrote:Is this a real story? Or should it be added to the urban legend web site?
It's definitely a true story. I was at the game and saw it with my own eyes.
MNHockey08

Post by MNHockey08 »

I think this is hilarious. Whos parents would actually do that? :oops: Thats awful and I feel bad for Brent.
Unless of course he told his parents to do it. Then it would be extra funny. :D Doubt it though.
I hope his parents realize he let in a goal from almost the red line at the X in the quarter finals last year so things can happen. Nobody is perfect guys. So maybe Aus remembered this.
Danny is a good goalie and probably deserved the top spot. Aus is a good coach and knows what he is doing with his team. Blaine just didn't have enough talent to compete at state this year.
who_b_dat

Post by who_b_dat »

Seen worse, e.g. a kid's parents getting into a domestic at an away tourney hotel in front of everyone to then have the police called and the parents arrested. That's the all-time low in my book. Everyone felt for the poor kid who tried his best to hide his utter embarrassment.

In these instances you just try to help the kid as best you can. There’s nothing that you can do to change the behavior of the parents except ban them from the arena in which case the kid is likely just hurt further. All other options only serve to hurt the kid who is most often an innocent bystander to the parent’s obnoxious behavior.
hawkfan70

Re: post 10163

Post by hawkfan70 »

boblee wrote:When I found myself on the bench for most of my high school career, I am glad that my parents never did that. I would have been embarrassed.
well if you had ever learned to skate I am sure the coach would have put you in more...... :lol:
it was embarrassing to watch the defense have to bring you to and from the net :oops:
cheapshot

Post by cheapshot »

WOW
komada77

Post by komada77 »

Yet parents at games STILL look at themselves as superior to the kids in the stands. Hollerud's parents need to get a life and realize their kid isn't that good.
Everyone hates private schools (and Edina)!!
anna cornacopia

Post by anna cornacopia »

as a fan of h. s. sports and a semi sane supporter I can't believe what I wittnessed on sat. The lack of thinking that went into, allowing the signs to be put up and the clapping for aposing teams goals is unbelievable. Not to mention the sieving of a teammate and friend of your son! Actions speak louder than words!
Curt_mn

Post by Curt_mn »

Didn't one of the other parents say something???? I have seen his dad around the rink with movie camera and clipboard in hand... I just figured it was for the whole team...
All that that pressure... no wonder he mishandled the puck last year at state and did not "earn" the spot back when given the chance this year.....

Just my 2cents....
I never could figure how he made the elite team with his performance (good but not great)......
he_shoots-he_scores

Elite league tested.

Post by he_shoots-he_scores »

I watched this kid play in the elite league. He was the goalie for the NW. The only goalie who performed worse then him was the other goalie on the NW team, the kid from White Bear. I have heard they might not be asked back to the league after their horrible performances. I remember hearing that his parents were pretty foolish in that league as well.

These folks have a lot to learn about being supportive.
HD1

Post by HD1 »

Last edited by HD1 on Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
boblee

post 10177

Post by boblee »

mulefarm wrote:If this really did happen, what should the coach do? This will be hard for the coach to pull the team and hs program together. You don't want to take it out on the kid, (cut player) but it will be extremely hard to develope a team concept. There are enough problems that come up during a season. Something like this is inexcusable and will be tough to fix.
Beings as it was in the state tourny, I would not have done a thing as a coach. Just let it go.
MNHockey08

Re: Elite league tested.

Post by MNHockey08 »

he_shoots-he_scores wrote:I watched this kid play in the elite league. He was the goalie for the NW. The only goalie who performed worse then him was the other goalie on the NW team, the kid from White Bear. I have heard they might not be asked back to the league after their horrible performances. I remember hearing that his parents were pretty foolish in that league as well.
I agree. These two should have never been the goalies for the Elite League. There were plenty of others who deserved it more.
dangles23

Post by dangles23 »

Next year ought to be fun, now that this is out i wouldnt be suprised to see students from visiting schools make signs making fun of Hollerud's parents.
SECHockeyFan

Re: Elite league tested.

Post by SECHockeyFan »

MNHockey08 wrote:
he_shoots-he_scores wrote:I watched this kid play in the elite league. He was the goalie for the NW. The only goalie who performed worse then him was the other goalie on the NW team, the kid from White Bear. I have heard they might not be asked back to the league after their horrible performances. I remember hearing that his parents were pretty foolish in that league as well.
I agree. These two should have never been the goalies for the Elite League. There were plenty of others who deserved it more.
The WB goalie was rehabbing from two hip surgeries he had during last season. He played great this year and will be a top 5 or top 10 goalie in the state next year.
Ginos All Day
mainefan

Post by mainefan »

The sins of the parents- This kid is in for a rough ride. I feel sorry for him and hope every one doesn't come down too hard on him. Hopefully a lesson was learned.
tuffpucker

Post by tuffpucker »

You cannot control how your parents act. How this kid acted on the bench and at practices is all that should matter to the coach. Can someone let us know. Did he work hard and support the other goalie and his teamates. No athlete should accept sitting on the bench, Hopfully he continued to work hard , support his teamates and grow as a player.
rbk28

Post by rbk28 »

I'm sure Hollerud still thinks he deserves the spot...as for him "supporting" Harper I don't think that happened at all but thats just my opinion. The Blaine goalie situation has been awkward the past couple of years. I wonder if Hollerud's parents remember when he stepped into the starting role halfway through his sophomore year over a SENIOR!! I forgot his name I think Stutz or something like that, but you never heard his parents crying about it.
61ache

Post by 61ache »

Completely Mickey Mouse (if true). Try and have some class, or at least fake it.
MNHockey08

Post by MNHockey08 »

rbk28 wrote:I'm sure Hollerud still thinks he deserves the spot...as for him "supporting" Harper I don't think that happened at all but thats just my opinion. The Blaine goalie situation has been awkward the past couple of years. I wonder if Hollerud's parents remember when he stepped into the starting role halfway through his sophomore year over a SENIOR!! I forgot his name I think Stutz or something like that, but you never heard his parents crying about it.
The goalies name was Colten Schwartz and he was only a junior. He played for St. Francis for a few years and then transfered to Blaine, had some injury problems, and lost the starting job. Im pretty sure he plays for Russel Stover now.
cheapshot

Post by cheapshot »

wow again
Papa Bergundy

Post by Papa Bergundy »

I think we gotta lay off the kid saying "he didn't belong in elite" or "he let in the terrible goal last tourney". He probably feels bad enough that his parents did that we don't need to rub it in by telling him he isn't good either. BTW i've never seen him play so I couldn't tell you if he was or wasn't deserving.
Stay Classy, Minnesota.
pondpucker13

Post by pondpucker13 »

Papa Bergundy wrote:I think we gotta lay off the kid saying "he didn't belong in elite" or "he let in the terrible goal last tourney". He probably feels bad enough that his parents did that we don't need to rub it in by telling him he isn't good either. BTW i've never seen him play so I couldn't tell you if he was or wasn't deserving.
agreed. he's just a kid playing hockey. he doesn't deserve this kind of criticism while he's playing a youth sport. his parents are the ones who need chastising and i think they've gotten it. im glad to see so many people take issue with this