TV Coverage of The State Tourney

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

ozzie679

Post by ozzie679 »

SB24 wrote::shock: :shock: hmm, Ozzie :roll:
How many hockey programs are there in Minnesota compared to basketball? Believe it or not, most of the state does not care about or understand hockey. Hockey fans are extremely loyal, but there the media market is not as large as for some other sports. The Minnesota HS Hockey tournament is an anomaly with a tradition that is unmatched.

It's not that hard to understand, and it shouldn't offend you. I can't believe that people would get that upset by my initial comment.
ozzie679

Post by ozzie679 »

ahsgrad wrote:
ozzie679 wrote:
spartanfire13 wrote: The hockey market in Minnesota is way bigger than for any other sport. How many people do you see at the Championship events for any other sport?
I'm going to guess though that the strib doesn't want to overload on high school coverage, and they have to cover a state tournaments results the day after it finishes (wrestling/swimming). A hockey preview should come early in the week.
Ahh, no it's not. The HS tournament is a great minnesota tradition. But the vast majority of Minnesotans do not follow hockey. Heck, I am a hockey fan and I can admit that football, basketball, and baseball are not rivaled by any other sport.
Ahh, yes it is. If you say that then you are not a true hockey fan. Baseball doesnt have theres even broadcast. Football doesnt have all the games on tv. And None get 18000 ppl in a building with more waiting outside with no luck getting tickets. The State tourney in MN for hockey is like Football in Texas. UNREAL.
No it isn't. It's not even close. How does being real about the hockey market not make me a true fan of the sport?
hero12

Post by hero12 »

i thought i read a post a few months ago that said the state tourney was the second biggest in the country next to texas football. by ozzie's post i'm thinking that wasn't true?
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

Being better than baseball or football in Minnesota doesn't mean much, neither sport has the talent level on a national scale hockey does. Football has too many classes, if it had 2 it would draw pretty well here. The Prep Bowl drew 32,200 over it's 2 days this year, the estimate was about 20,000 for the Eden Prairie/Cretin game, not bad.

As for Texas football, go here www.texasbob.com/football and hit the link for capacity. A former college teammate of mine coaches down there, nothing like that exists here, outside of a few parents no one here would call the coach, down there you lose and and you get hate mail and calls. Here a parent might complain about their kids lack of playing time, there the whole city complains if they think one kid should be playing over another. Apples and Oranges.
gitter

Post by gitter »

I think ozzie is confusing the market comparison. He is right that the NHL market in MN doesn't compare to the NFL or MLB.

But people are referring to the high school sports market in MN - not the professional sports market. You cannot compare the two - its apples to oranges. To my knowledge, there is no other state championship sport in the state of MN that draws 125,000+ in attendance. This is the market people are referring to.
hockeywatcher4

Post by hockeywatcher4 »

Will all games be televised>?
Hillfan

Post by Hillfan »

All Class "A" and "AA" quarterfinal, seminfinals, and championships will be on KSTC.
ahsgrad

Post by ahsgrad »

hero12 wrote:i thought i read a post a few months ago that said the state tourney was the second biggest in the country next to texas football. by ozzie's post i'm thinking that wasn't true?
Im pretty sure I read the same exact thing.
newSPUDfan

Post by newSPUDfan »

WarroadWarrior wrote:being that FSN has covered high school hockey during the regular season the past few seasons do you think they will ever put in a bid to cover the state tourney when 45's contract is up?

Does anyone know when that is?
When BTN takes the Gophs away and they are looking for something to fill their schedule.
hockeywatcher4

Post by hockeywatcher4 »

will all AA games be televised?
WarroadWarrior

Post by WarroadWarrior »

hockeywatcher4 wrote:will all AA games be televised?
See the post 4 posts above yours
jackstraw

Charter?

Post by jackstraw »

Anybody out there know if Charter cable will be televising? If so, what channel?