HAL down 4 to stupid human coaches

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

hawkfan70

Re: Update

Post by hawkfan70 »

east hockey wrote:
east hockey wrote:HAL has made up two games and now sits -2 to the seedings; four upcoming games have HAL picking the lower seeded team:

Mankato West over Rochester Lourdes
Mahtomedi over South St Paul
Duluth Denfeld over St Cloud Cathedral
East Grand Forks over Park Rapids

It ain't over yet! (but the pick of West over Lourdes makes me cringe a bit)

Lee
HAL is now down by a single game. Sorry for Park Rapids and their fine season, but hey....HAL knew :)

Besides the three games still to be played where HAL has picked the lower seeded team, we also have a possible conflict should Blake and Breck advance in 2A. In other words, HAL needs at least two of the three remaining disagreements in order to claim a tie. Blake vs Breck could decide the whole thing on 2/28. So.....go Mustangs! Image

And, yes, I have too much free time on my hands this week. :)

Lee
must be overtime available at the office :lol:
Neutron 14

Post by Neutron 14 »

hawkfan70 wrote:
east hockey wrote:
east hockey wrote:HAL has made up two games and now sits -2 to the seedings; four upcoming games have HAL picking the lower seeded team:

Mankato West over Rochester Lourdes
Mahtomedi over South St Paul
Duluth Denfeld over St Cloud Cathedral
East Grand Forks over Park Rapids

It ain't over yet! (but the pick of West over Lourdes makes me cringe a bit)

Lee
HAL is now down by a single game. Sorry for Park Rapids and their fine season, but hey....HAL knew :)

Besides the three games still to be played where HAL has picked the lower seeded team, we also have a possible conflict should Blake and Breck advance in 2A. In other words, HAL needs at least two of the three remaining disagreements in order to claim a tie. Blake vs Breck could decide the whole thing on 2/28. So.....go Mustangs! Image

Lee
Either we pay for it, OR WE PAY FOR IT!!! :lol:
The only soft spot I see is the one between my legs
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

Neutron 14 wrote:
hawkfan70 wrote:
east hockey wrote: HAL is now down by a single game. Sorry for Park Rapids and their fine season, but hey....HAL knew :)

Lee
Either we pay for it, OR WE PAY FOR IT!!! :lol:
And for that, my wife and I thank you. All the way to Hawai`i. :lol:

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Down 1.

HAL is remarkable.

Or the guy that put him/her/it together.

:D
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

elliott70 wrote:Down 1.

HAL is remarkable.

Or the guy that put him/her/it together.

No one noticed those robots in East Grand Forks uniforms last night, but that doesn't mean we don't know they were there. Clearly HAL isn't above playing dirty...
packerboy

Post by packerboy »

HAL always comes through in the end.

I think he will dream.
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

Right now, HAL doesn't like HAL's chances. But that's just a self-esteem issue.

Lee
Egomaniac since 2006
Neutron 14

Post by Neutron 14 »

HAL picks up another, WBL over Roseville.
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

Neutron 14 wrote:HAL picks up another, WBL over Roseville.
It didn't because HAL adds .12 to the home team's PS2 rating in keeping with the study done quite some time ago which showed the home team winning by that average margin. There was one other game where it switched the prediction too...can't remember how it turned out. I also don't know if the .12 addition has made a difference over the past eight years.

Lee
Egomaniac since 2006
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

And HAL goes back to -2 after Mahtomedi fails to "upset" South St Paul.

HAL needs the final three disagreements now. It looks bleak.

Meantime, Mitch was +3 heading into today's game so his system gets the bragging rights back.

Lee
Egomaniac since 2006
Neutron 14

Post by Neutron 14 »

east hockey wrote:
It didn't because HAL adds .12 to the home team's PS2 rating in keeping with the study done quite some time ago which showed the home team winning by that average margin. There was one other game where it switched the prediction too...can't remember how it turned out. I also don't know if the .12 addition has made a difference over the past eight years.

Lee
Was that a neutral site study?
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

Neutron 14 wrote:
east hockey wrote:

Lee
Was that a neutral site study?
As I recall, it was done using the teams designated as "home" by Varsity Online for a single season. It gets tough at times because some teams have more than one home rink. Some games are played at neutral sites, and those were ignored.

It's not an exact science because few teams play an equal number of home/away games. Because of that, I don't know if added that number helps the system, hurts it, or doesn't matter. I might ignore it next year but more research is needed. Always that damn research. I need an assistant. :)

Lee
Egomaniac since 2006
Mitch Hawker
Site Admin

Post by Mitch Hawker »

FWIW, HAL's brother AL does not consider home ice.

He's +3 vs. the seedings this year. \:D/

AL does admit that he certainly does not beat HAL every year.

To the seedings, HAL and AL rarely lose.
east hockey wrote: As I recall, it was done using the teams designated as "home" by Varsity Online for a single season. It gets tough at times because some teams have more than one home rink. Some games are played at neutral sites, and those were ignored.

It's not an exact science because few teams play an equal number of home/away games. Because of that, I don't know if added that number helps the system, hurts it, or doesn't matter. I might ignore it next year but more research is needed. Always that damn research. I need an assistant. :)

Lee
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

Oh oh, SSP taking out Mahtomedi (which surprised even me) really did HAL in. Best he can do now is tie. Wonder what he has up his sleeve now?
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Mitch Hawker wrote:FWIW, HAL's brother AL does not consider home ice.

He's +3 vs. the seedings this year. \:D/

AL does admit that he certainly does not beat HAL every year.

To the seedings, HAL and AL rarely lose.
east hockey wrote: As I recall, it was done using the teams designated as "home" by Varsity Online for a single season. It gets tough at times because some teams have more than one home rink. Some games are played at neutral sites, and those were ignored.

Lee
Well, hello Mitch.
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

Sparlimb wrote:Oh oh, SSP taking out Mahtomedi (which surprised even me) really did HAL in. Best he can do now is tie. Wonder what he has up his sleeve now?
HAL can still win; three disagreements remain.

Lee
Egomaniac since 2006
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

east hockey wrote:
Sparlimb wrote:Oh oh, SSP taking out Mahtomedi (which surprised even me) really did HAL in. Best he can do now is tie. Wonder what he has up his sleeve now?

Lee
I stand corrected. Or did a choice change between refreshes? HAL is tricky like that. BTW, Thanks to both of you (Mitch and Lee) for the computer rankings which takes some amount of time to process every week. It is sure fun to use for discussion points during the year...
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

Sparlimb wrote:
east hockey wrote:

Lee
I stand corrected. Or did a choice change between refreshes? HAL is tricky like that. BTW, Thanks to both of you (Mitch and Lee) for the computer rankings which takes some amount of time to process every week. It is sure fun to use for discussion points during the year...
The Breck vs Blake disagreement was added after they both won their semfinal games.

Thanks. I still don't know how HALjr (PS3) would have done.

Lee
Egomaniac since 2006
packerboy

Post by packerboy »

HAL has advised me that if anything goes wrong , it can only be attributable to human error.
Mitch Hawker
Site Admin

Post by Mitch Hawker »

I do exist.

My rankings also have 3 differences left with the seedings, so the seedings could yet manage a tie.

My rankings agree with PS2 on picking West and Breck (but not Denfeld). The other diference with the seedings is Litchfield over New Ulm.
elliott70 wrote:
Well, hello Mitch.