Upset City

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Winner?

Hastings
52%
Mounds View
48%

Total votes: 25

HastingsDangler02

Upset City

Post by HastingsDangler02 »

Hastings-3
Woodbury-2

Hastings was winless for over a year until their first win against Eagan. Then the upset over Roseville and then won 2 in the Rochester Tourny to take Consolation. Tonight they beat Woodbury to win their first home game in over a year and of the '08 season. They have now won 5 of their last 6 games. Still this has all been done with out their top forward who returns Saturday for their game against Mounds View.

Whoever said lets see them beat "Roseville or Woodbury then they can talk," well there you have it. How about both? Any doubters of Russ Welch should be kept quite now, especially turning the season around in such a good way after such a tough year last year and start to this year. The Raiders still have a long ways to go but things are looking good. Could Hastings be possibly an underrated team considering every game besides one it has been a one goal game in the third at some point and they have now won 5 of the last 6?............................... :twisted:
"Win today and we walk together forever."
HastingsDangler02

wait

Stand corrected..
Hastings-3
Woodbury-1
wbmd

Post by wbmd »

Hastings is probably looking at a 1 seed in 3AA now. :lol:
STEV16

Post by STEV16 »

wow big upset. Was anyone at the game that can comment?
AngusYoung

Post by AngusYoung »

Russ Welch = Coach of the Year

AY 8)
STC18

Post by STC18 »

Whats with Hastings and upsets? W :shock: W
Ben Dover plays BOTH ways.
who_b_dat

Post by who_b_dat »

Im not buying it.

They beat Roseville with great play by Gleinser who turned away something like 45-50 shots. Certainly, the better goalie won that game.

then lost to Fargo

then beat the powerhouses of Marhsall and New Richmond, Wi

now they post a winning score against Woodbury. (I still would like to hear first hand accounts. Was this another hot goalie affair?)

For the above reasons, I'm just not as big of a fan as my colleague HastingsDangler02. That said, it is nice to see a team win a game every now n then. Nice reward for the hard work they certainly have had to endure by the always mild-mannered "Coach of the Year."
mnhockey9009

Post by mnhockey9009 »

I got to hand it to them, they have had some pretty big upsets. Was gleisner playing against woodbury? But when you lose to a Fargo team, who is the worst they've been in years, they still have a long way to go. I see them losing a couple, get them off this high, then it will be all downhill from there. Angus, great comment. But where is the famous guy who is always backtalking Hastings, whats his name?
If you look good, you play good.
Pucknutz69

Post by Pucknutz69 »

[quote="mnhockey9009"]I got to hand it to them, they have had some pretty big upsets. Was gleisner playing against woodbury? But when you lose to a Fargo team, who is the worst they've been in years, they still have a long way to go. I see them losing a couple, get them off this high, then it will be all downhill from there. Angus, great comment. But where is the famous guy who is always backtalking Hastings, whats his name?[/quote]

Hey hockeynut I think he's talking about you!
B686

Post by B686 »

Jon Gleinser was playing in goal against Woodbury. 38 saves in the game. Great job by the whole team to get the win over an outstanding Woodbury team. Hastings has worked hard all season to improve and it is good to see them get some games in the win column.
HastingsDangler02

yea

This was actually a good game by hastings though, not just a goalie effort, they out shot Woodbury in the first and dominated most of the play, most of the second too till the end. Almost all of Woodbury shots came from far out or on the powerplay or near they end when they started going "all out"/panicking to tie the game, other than that Hastings had just as many chances or more. By far the best game I have seen them play all year.
B686

Post by B686 »

I have to agree with a couple of comments made by HastingsDangler02. Yes it was a good effort by the whole team and Hastings did out work Woodbury the first period. However, the keys to this win were the team working hard, some great saves, excellent rebound control and covering the puck to stop Woodbury's momentum. Most of Woodbury's shots in the second period were in tight as they were working hard to get a quick rebound shot in. Not from far away as you have stated. If you take a look at the reported saves from the game, Saves--Woodbury, Wigen 9-11-3--23; Hastings, Gleinser 6-17-15--38, they are a pretty good indication of how the game went. Hastings played better the 1st period, pretty even the second and totally all Woodbury in the third period. Even though Hastings was dominated in the third the Raiders killed Woodbury power plays to secure the win. Again great upset win for Hastings, who have all worked hard this season!
Royaltreatment

Post by Royaltreatment »

I give the Hastings team credit. They played hard. They deserved to win.
The Royals didn't come to play. I don't think the Royals over looked anyone, they got outplayed. Period. I'm sorry though Dangler, Hastings does not have many skilled players. I saw a part of one of thier games earlier in the season, and than this game and was amazed at how many unskilled players they have. They work hard, but I for one will need to see more consistency before i would even call this team average. The consolation trophy in a less than appealing field down in Rochester should in no way be cause for too much excitement. As far as your best forword being gone. You bring this kid up often..(the savior) I had heard he's been suspended before? Why would you want him back? Doesn't sound to me like he cares much about his team, or teamates?
HastingsDangler02

yea

A couple of the kids have been suspended before not just this forward. If you knew the situation and heard from any player or parent in Hastings how this forward got suspended you would probably say it was B.S. like most of us. Either way though he is back for tonights game and will hopefully show us what he's got.

B686-Up close shots? Don't know what game you were watching. The Hastings Defense kept Woodbury to bad angle shots or point shots 95% of the time. Rebound control was great which prevented crease/slot area shots but thanks to Ben Horsch's amazing play(also had 2 goals) that kept the shots out wide and along with the other D Hastings was able to pull off the victory. Horsch's second goal wasn't anything special though but will take them any day :lol: :twisted:
B686

Post by B686 »

HastingDangler02 I was watching the same game you were watching. Maybe you didn't have as good of view that I had! Ben Horsch has been playing outstanding for Hastings, not in just this game but all season long. Ben is in my opinion the best defenseman in this section. He plays smart and works hard each and every shift. He has been a true leader for Hastings!
HastingsDangler02

yea

Ben Horsch is among the top 15 defenseman in the state. He is not a goal scorer, but he almost never makes mistakes, and plays his position almost perfectly. I'm not saying this just for being a Hastings fan either. I truly think he is one of the most underrated players(at least defenseman) in the state.
the one to love

Post by the one to love »

So just because they beat roseville and woodbury they are looking at the #1 seed? Haha, not likely. Aside from the 2nd half of the season still needing to be played. There's also that little thing called strength of schedule.
wbmd

Post by wbmd »

the one to love wrote:So just because they beat roseville and woodbury they are looking at the #1 seed? Haha, not likely. Aside from the 2nd half of the season still needing to be played. There's also that little thing called strength of schedule.
Don't take everything so seriously. :roll:
HastingsDangler02

haha

:lol:
the one to love- I am guessing you're from Woodbury or Roseville :twisted:

I don't see anywhere on here where someone said Hastings should be the number one seed. All that has been said is that they have improved greatly, may be somewhat a little underrated, and are finally starting to turn things around. Sorry if we made you upset though :lol: