St Thomas (3-0) @ Breck (3-3) 12-11-07

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins?

Poll ended at Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:08 am

Cadets
67%
Mustangs
33%

Total votes: 33

HShockeywatcher

St Thomas (3-0) @ Breck (3-3) 12-11-07

Post by HShockeywatcher »

St Thomas with three wins and two shut outs. Breck with top wins over Cretin, Orono and SLP. Breck has won all their home games, and lost all away games.
flatontheice

Re: St Thomas (3-0) @ Breck (3-3) 12-11-07

Post by flatontheice »

HShockeywatcher wrote:St Thomas with three wins and two shut outs. Breck with top wins over Cretin, Orono and SLP. Breck has won all their home games, and lost all away games.
St. Thomas 5 Breck 2. What happened with Breck and Red Wing or is Red Wing that good?
HShockeywatcher

By that logic St Thomas will kill Breck (as they beat Red Wing 3-0, who beat Breck 5-2) which, I doubt will happen.

It would also mean that the Cadets will kill Raiders, which would be sweet.
mch

Post by mch »

im gonna go with breck for this one 5-4 ot
shooter111

Post by shooter111 »

As for the RW/Breck game, I just dont think Breck was expecting Red Wing to come out so quick.. first goal was about a minute in and it was 4-0 after the first, but maybe they are that good. Im gonna end up biased so I wont say much.

STA- 6
Breck -2
spudskis709

Post by spudskis709 »

breck 2-1
Last edited by spudskis709 on Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
STAte Champs

Post by STAte Champs »

STA-4(EN)
Breck-2

Breck is strugglin but they always play well against STA i think it will be closer than STA thinks but they will come away with the win
flatontheice

Post by flatontheice »

spudskis709 wrote:breck was missing 3 defensmen in the redwing game.

it will be closer than every one think it will be because it will be sta sophomores vs brecks sophomores.

another key matchup will be johnny russel vs. Altrichter in net

breck just has to keep up with sta stride for stride.

it will be a very close game.

i pick breck because i like the underdog in a 3-2 ot thriller
Why were they missing? Which ones were missing?
BladeButter44

Post by BladeButter44 »

STA by atleast 3...
GoldmanGolfer13

Post by GoldmanGolfer13 »

Im going with STA in this one! WHo are the players to watch?
Goldy23

Post by Goldy23 »

Cadets should win this game. Mustangs best chance is if they can come out fast and get an early lead as the did against CDH. They have not lost when they have had the lead, nor have the been able to overcome a deficet. Should be a fun game.

Players to watch on the Mustang side;

Goalie -Russell
D- Herd
F-Borer(s) Rehkamp Morin Fulton Born Weingarden
HShockeywatcher

Hopefully Breck's first loss. If you go by the PS2 rankings, Breck'll get killed 8)
dangles07

Post by dangles07 »

breck wins 6-5
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

HShockeywatcher wrote:Hopefully Breck's first loss. If you go by the PS2 rankings, Breck'll get killed 8)
Which is why it's sometimes not a very good idea to go with the PS2 rankings, considering the outcome of this particular game.

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
HShockeywatcher

Which is also why I put the smiley after what I said. I understand how rankings/ratings work and many seem not too.

Disappointing. How was the game?
topshelf10

Post by topshelf10 »

All I got to say is STA was off and Breck was on and lucky. Breck's goalie played great while STA's goalie was very suspect. STA for the most part controlled the game, but Breck capitalized on STA's poor defensive decisions. It seemed like all of Breck's goals were 2 on 1 one timers caused by STA trying to pinch.

The score was 6-4 with the empty netter.
topshelf10

Post by topshelf10 »

Also, STA got a goal called off for high sticking. In my judgment, it was a goal. It would have made the game 4-3. Instead, Breck turned around with two goals 30 seconds apart.
Govs93

Post by Govs93 »

topshelf10 wrote:Also, STA got a goal called off for high sticking. In my judgment, it was a goal. It would have made the game 4-3. Instead, Breck turned around with two goals 30 seconds apart.
I don't know what the hell the ref's problem was but he had put the arm in the air long before STA put that puck in the net, but he looked it took him a while to realize his hand with the whistle on it was in the air and he got confused. It must've took him 3 seconds to blow that thing dead.

It was clear that goal wasn't going to count.
Govs93

Post by Govs93 »

topshelf10 wrote:Also, STA got a goal called off for high sticking. In my judgment, it was a goal. It would have made the game 4-3. Instead, Breck turned around with two goals 30 seconds apart.
I don't know what the hell the ref's problem was but he had put the arm in the air long before STA put that puck in the net, but it looked like it took him a while to realize his hand with the whistle on it was in the air and he got confused. It must've took him 3 seconds to blow that thing dead trying to figure out where his whistle was.

It was clear that goal wasn't going to count.
dangles07

Post by dangles07 »

the ref put his hand in the air, but then it was touched by two breck players thus negating the call and then walters proceeded to put it in the net...the game was played in breck's end the whole game but props to breck for capitalizing on their oppurtuinites fulton and reihmigler?? played very well for breck as did their goalie
mnhockey9009

Post by mnhockey9009 »

shots?
If you look good, you play good.
HShockeywatcher

Wow, shots 45-20 STA
Goldy23

Post by Goldy23 »

True, but Breck also had a goal called off on a questionable interference call in the third. The tide seemed to change after the Cadets scored their third goal to tie the game and Walters went over to the the Breck student section and jumped into the glass and gave them a hand gesture and skated off. Not a very classy move by a very talented player.

Fun game to watch. While the score was close, the Mustangs had a two goal lead most of the third period which is amazng considering the shot differential in the first and second periods. No doubt the Cadets are a very good team.
Govs93

Post by Govs93 »

All the "missed" goals aside, both teams looked pretty good. I'm not sure I can say that Breck is the better team overall, but they definitely were last night - if they played each other 10 more times, STA may win 8, but Breck did all the right things last night. STA made a few mistakes, and the Mustangs cashed in on most of them.

That Rehkamp seems to be a one man gang. Good skater - he seemed to be everywhere. Most opinions here seemed to give a lot of credit to John Russell in the net for Breck, and I'd agree, but he took it to a different level once they got the lead in the 3rd. I thought he had left a couple of questionable rebounds and seemed to get out of position a few times during the first two periods, but I didn't see much of that at all the last 10 minutes of the game. He didn't seem as "squirrely" - a lot more calm.
windtomyback

Post by windtomyback »

Saw this game and it was a very well played game by both teams. Both were fast and aggressive. STA seemed to have a very well coached power play (in fact they had several good power play systems), but Breck took advantage of all opportunities.

Rehcamp was fast hungry and had some very pretty goals. I'd agree with Gov's assessment of the Breck goalie.......tentative and out of position at the beginning and very strong towards the end.

Great game!