Minnetonka with the 3 Mr Hockey Candidates

HockE7

Minnetonka with the 3 Mr Hockey Candidates

Post by HockE7 »

What is Wyman, Hillen, and.... (I cant remember the other finalist) would have stayed at Minnetonka in stead of going to a public school??? They made a great run this year and with these three they possibly could have been in "The Show" right now! I just want to know what everyone thinks about this and who the other player is??? <p></p><i></i>
Zamman

Re: Minnetonka with the 3 Mr Hockey Candidates

Post by Zamman »

Hillen was Hopkins... <p></p><i></i>
hshockeyfan

Re: Minnetonka with the 3 Mr Hockey Candidates

Post by hshockeyfan »

the 3 mr.hockey candidates from minnetonka are wyman, battani, and friesen <p></p><i></i>
cliff77

Not Minnetonka

Post by cliff77 »

<br>Battani, although he is a very good hockey player, he is not one of the Mr. Hockey finalists. Hillen lives in Minnetonka, but played all of his youth hockey at Hopkins with another Mr. Hockey finalist, Rob Page. <p></p><i></i>
blueliner10

Re: Not Minnetonka

Post by blueliner10 »

Who the hell cares Mr. hockey is so political anyway! Up north here we don't even care about the award any more for if one is not from the metro area they are SOL <p></p><i></i>
rizzy7TRFProwlers

Post by rizzy7TRFProwlers »

Well put blueliner. When was the last time someone from up north won the Mr. Hockey award? <p></p><i></i>
IJasonI

Post by IJasonI »

Wasn't Engasser from Minnetonka? <p></p><i></i>
bighorn9

Why are 3 players from one team chosen?

Post by bighorn9 »

Politics that's why. I have heard that as many as 7 Blake players will play division 1. It will be interesting to follow there college careers. Also remember hockey is division1 in the Ivy League but no athletic scholarships are permitted. There is a good chance that with means testing these kids parents will be footing the bill. Don't cry too hard, however they almost all can afford it. <p></p><i></i>
cliff77

Not Political

Post by cliff77 »

The last northern kid to win Mr. Hockey was Gino Guyer, 3 years ago. Since then it was Marty Sertich and Nate Dey last year.<br><br>I don't agree that it is a highly political election. Why else would 7 of this year's candidates be from private schools then? The hockey establishment in this state is clearly pro-public schools. I read evidence of this on this board every day and experience this every time I converse with hockey people around the state.<br><br>This year's Mr. Hockey has already been chosen. The ten finalists are the top ten vote getters. They were chosen by NHL scouts and D1 coaches around the state of Minnesota a few weeks ago. Maybe Blake has 3 candidates because they have 3 of the top high school NHL draft picks in the state.<br><br>If it was a highly political process, I doubt Nate Dey would have won the award last year. There were many others who had higher political profiles last year.<br><br>By the way, I am from the metro area and believe Alex Gologoski will win this year. <p></p><i></i>
IWASTHERE

Minnetonka "What Might Have Been"

Post by IWASTHERE »

The following Private school kids all played youth hockey in Minnetonka:<br><br>BSM: Friesen, Battani, Lappen & Morgan<br>Blake: Wyman & Engasser<br>Breck: Simcox<br><br>Not a bad line up...<br><br>1st Line: Drew Akins (C), Will Engasser & Alex Simcox<br>2nd Line: Chris Lappen (C), JT Wyman & Sam Bickel<br>3rd Line: Jesse Junkermeier (C), Stu Bickel & Mike Schutt<br><br>Defensive Pairs:<br>1st Line: Blake Friesen & Kevin Eidsmo<br>2nd Line: Ian Wolff & Greg Battani<br>3rd Line: Ryan Hampson & Ryan Schwartz<br><br>Goalie: Tyler Richmond & Brian Morgan<br><br> <p></p><i></i>
IJasonI

mtka lineup

Post by IJasonI »

I'd say thats among the best lineups in the state. <p></p><i></i>
IWASTHERE

In a perfect world

Post by IWASTHERE »

Imagine if the world were perfect and players didn't leave their local high schools...<br>Minnetonka would have been without a doubt the best AA team in the state. With a line up like the one I listed in my last comment, who could disagree.<br>Who knows maybe Sean Cox wouldn't have quit hockey if he wouldn't have switched to BSM from Minnetonka. He might have been a 2nd or 3rd line defender.<br><br>Just a thought. <p></p><i></i>
shutout

Why do they all leave?

Post by shutout »

Why do all the top players leave Minnetonka? <br><br> I did get a nice laugh when i heard that Brian Curler quit this year because he was not getting enough playing time. His whiny mom took him out of the Jefferson program for the same reason, I guess it is obvious what the problem is in that situation. <p></p><i></i>
name not necessary

Re: Why do they all leave?

Post by name not necessary »

though many of these good players have left minnetonka, minnetonka is not the only place great players have switched schools from. Edina and hopkins have also had some great players leave...just to mention others in the same conference as them <p></p><i></i>
MNPuckster27

why they leave...

Post by MNPuckster27 »

think about the towns mentioned.... those towns all consist of a lot of people with MONEY! So they are the ones that can afford to send their kids to private schools. <p></p><i></i>
skipper

minnetonka

Post by skipper »

other schools such as edina and hopkins did have kids leave, but not nearly the numbers or quality that tonka had. the reason all these kids left was.....COACHING!!!!! tonka has had horrible coaching at the varsity level for more than 10 years. trent graham (standout forward on ER) left tonka after bantams because of minnetonka's horrible coaching. <p></p><i></i>
mnhshock29

blake

Post by mnhshock29 »

One problem, I don't think Wyman and Engasser "left" Minnetonka. They both played youth hockey there, but from what I know, have been at Blake for quite some time. Wyman, for instance, is a third-generation Blake player. <p></p><i></i>
shutout

Graham

Post by shutout »

Skipper:<br><br>I would not use Beaver Graham as an example, it would probably be easier to list the programs that he has NOT played in. Think about it the parents name their kids after animals! <p></p><i></i>
name not necessary

Skipper...

yes, kids have left because of coaching but take a look: <br><br>Hopkins lost: <br>Rob Page (sr Blake)<br>Jack Hillen (sr AHA)<br>Luke Edwall (sr SLP)<br>Ben Tesler (sr SLP)<br> adding two mr hockey candidate Dmen, a stellar goalie, and a grinder forward will significantly help a team. Maybe that won't change a team as much as Minnetonka would, but lets see about Edina. Key players they have lost:<br><br>Nate Hagemo (would be jr, AHA and then NTDP)<br>Justin Milo (jr, Shattuck)<br>Trent Palm (so, Shattuck)<br>David Ramsey (sr, Blake)<br>Jon Patera (jr, Blake)<br>Jack Baer (so, STA)<br>Matt Andres (so, Benilde)<br> -4 or 5 other players that have switched from edina play for other varsity programs, though they wuold not have as much of an impact and wuold battle for a 3rd or 4th line spot<br><br> Minnetonka's team would change significantly, but if you know hockey and know who these players are, you will see that Edina's team would change just as much. Each of those 7 players, and possibly a couple of the others, would be varsity players and add to the team. 7 or 8 of Edina's players this year would find their spots being taken over by far superior players...just a thought for ya Skip <p></p><i></i>
IJasonI

ylitalo

Post by IJasonI »

name not necessary,<br>I believe you forgot Glen Ylitalo, who is at Orono now. <p></p><i></i>
skipper

shutout

Post by skipper »

i agree the graham comment is a little far fetched and his dad is totally insane. but the reason they left minnetonka was definatly because of the horrific coaching. it tonka would have had as good coaching as say a jefferson then the graham boys may have never left. <p></p><i></i>
name not necessary

Re: Ylitalo

Yes, he was at Edina his sophomore year. He was not on the list because he grew up playing for Orono, played one year for Edina, and then switched back to Orono. He really should not be considered a kid who grew up playing for Edina who left, like the others. With or without him, Edina has still lost a ton, not to say other places haven't. <p></p><i></i>
Rammer69

Private School

Post by Rammer69 »

What about kids who grew up playing for a city team but attended a private school the whole way through, or transfered in early grades like 5th or something, you can't really count those kids <p></p><i></i>
Froomcat

Tim Hanus

Post by Froomcat »

I know he hasn't been at the helm a super long time, but are people saying that he is a problem or are we talking Bantam A coaches, etc.<br><br>He was a hell of a player in the 80's at Tonka <p></p><i></i>
hockeyplayer04

Re: Tim Hanus

Post by hockeyplayer04 »

Who ever listed those people from edina, hagemo would be first line defense, since he was first line defense at Holy when he was a freshman comeon battle for 3rd or 4th? he might of been a sophmore at holy but still. <p></p><i></i>