U.S. Takes Under-18 World Title

4checker

U.S. Takes Under-18 World Title

Post by 4checker »

From the Mpls. Strib -<br><br>U.S. takes under-18 world title <br>From News Services <br>April 25, 2005 HOCK0425 <br> <br> <br> <br>PLZEN, CZECH REPUBLIC -- Jeff Frazee had 48 saves as the United States won the World Under-18 hockey championship by beating Canada 5-1.<br><br>Phil Kessel had two goals, including an empty-netter. and two assists for the Americans. Peter Mueller, Jason Lawrence and Nathan Gerbe also scored. Ryan O'Merra had Canada's goal.<br><br>Frazee, who played at Holy Angels before joining the U.S. Development Program in Ann Arbor, Mich., Mueller and Kessel are Gophers recruits.<br><br>Kessel had 16 points and was named the tournament's MVP as the United States went 6-0.<br><br>The team included only four players who were not from the development program.<br><br>Canada had a five-minute power play at the end of the game after Justin Mercier was called for a match penalty for checking Canada's Colton Yellowhorn from behind. Yellowhorn was taken off the ice on a stretcher.<br><br>It was the second under-18 title for the United States, which last won in 2002. Sweden beat the Czech Republic 4-2 to win the bronze medal.<br><br> <p></p><i></i>
Unknown

Unknown

Post by Unknown »

(This post is missing and can not be restored) <p></p><i></i>